Training Camp 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
08 Aug 2022 13:47
Labrev wrote:
08 Aug 2022 13:40
So it doesn't sound like Sean Rhyan has shown enough yet to be in serious consideration at RG1, or any other OL1 spot.

Newman will probably start for us, question is if it will be at RG with Nijman and Tom at T or at RT with Hansen at RG.

It's early yet so no need to be a doomer on him, but he is working against the dreaded third-round status (then again, Amari could be primed to break that curse for us this year).
Yeah Rhyan has surprised me. I thought he would be a starter for us but it sounds like he is in the "development stage" status.

Still a ways to go though for everyone at RG. The preseason games will show us a lot.

My guess currently is Nijman, Runyan, Meyers, Newman, Tom to start the season.
Why don't you think that Bakh won't start at LT? As the news has come out recently, his knee was structurally sound last December. The only problem was fluid and now that is no longer a problem either. He is out there rehabbing and not favoring that leg. He just has to get into football shape.

And even if Bakh sits the first week, it will be: Nijman, Runyan, Myers, Hansen and Newman. There is no way other than several new injuries that they put Tom out there. You would think that all the struggles that Newman had in the first half of the season would have taught you that starting a rookie mid round draft pick is a very bad idea.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I think conversations around the OL that speak with any sort of even partial certainty or assuredness about opening day are significantly underestimating how much time 4 weeks of an NFL training camp really is.

I don't think we have a clue what we'll have there, both because Bakh and even Jenkins could be back by then, and because Newman, Rhyan, Tom, and others could find their groove/comfort zone and look like totally different players within that timeframe.

I'm not saying not to talk about it. But saying Bakh will/won't be out there or Rhyan will/won't challenge for a starting role, or Tom will/won't be ready... it's genuinely too early. Even Gutey said they don't really even start evaluating their players for the first couple weeks of camp--the knowledge curve is too early to get any useful player evals.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Aug 2022 18:00
I think conversations around the OL that speak with any sort of even partial certainty or assuredness about opening day are significantly underestimating how much time 4 weeks of an NFL training camp really is.

I don't think we have a clue what we'll have there, both because Bakh and even Jenkins could be back by then, and because Newman, Rhyan, Tom, and others could find their groove/comfort zone and look like totally different players within that timeframe.

I'm not saying not to talk about it. But saying Bakh will/won't be out there or Rhyan will/won't challenge for a starting role, or Tom will/won't be ready... it's genuinely too early. Even Gutey said they don't really even start evaluating their players for the first couple weeks of camp--the knowledge curve is too early to get any useful player evals.
The only thing I would genuinely be surprised about at this point is if Jake Hansen wins a starting role without injuries in front of him. I would be very surprised by that.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Anyone else find it incredibly weird that our last preseason game is 8/25 and our first regular season game isn't until 9/11... 17 full days later? I know they don't like to play on Labor Day weekend, but to me, this calendar isn't any different than prior years where they could have played preseason games on Thursday, 9/1, and still kept a normal schedule.

Has there been a reason discussed for this? Is this better or worse? Does it help or hinder the Packers?

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

NCF wrote:
09 Aug 2022 09:50
Anyone else find it incredibly weird that our last preseason game is 8/25 and our first regular season game isn't until 9/11... 17 full days later? I know they don't like to play on Labor Day weekend, but to me, this calendar isn't any different than prior years where they could have played preseason games on Thursday, 9/1, and still kept a normal schedule.

Has there been a reason discussed for this? Is this better or worse? Does it help or hinder the Packers?

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
09 Aug 2022 14:26
NCF wrote:

Yeah.

They effectively extended the season to the end but kept the start date the same. My theory is they had to drop a PS game to negotiate with the NFLPA but I think it was a stupid one. The players who need the 4th game likely won't make a roster anyways so there really isn't any extra "wear" on the players.

Perhaps the coaches wanted 2 weeks to prepare for Week 1 but even the coaches have mentioned how they missed the extra game for further evaluation.

I liked the old model where effectively the backup coaches and fringe players played the 4th and meaningless game. I also liked the old model because it gave importance to Game #3. Now they all just seem a lot more meaningless.

I do like PS football though. So I never was a fan of getting rid of one of them. But ultimately I think it got removed for the even 20 game season and easier negotiating with the NFLPA. I still expect an 18 game season announced soon.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
09 Aug 2022 14:26
NCF wrote:

Tbh, I hadn’t even realized there was a gap.

It would seem all they did was remove the one game (week 4 games) from the pre-season schedule, as per the regular season expansion agreement, without making any other schedule modifications. I suppose that was the easiest thing to do from an administrative aspect but I could definitely see an advantage of having a later final game. But I also see a need for earlier games during camp as rosters are being figured out. I suppose spacing the 3 games out equally would’ve been best from a roster evaluation aspect but would’ve thrown television schedules for a loop.

So in summary… :idn:

bobsacamano
Reactions:

Post by bobsacamano »

I haven't been around here much but how does Romeo not have his own appreciation thread yet?

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

bobsacamano wrote:
09 Aug 2022 17:24
I haven't been around here much but how does Romeo not have his own appreciation thread yet?
We are counting on you to start it ;)

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I don't think an 18 game season will happen soon. Not for at least a decade. The players really don't want it, and it would require two bye weeks.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bobsacamano wrote:
everyone is on the edge of there seat for Romeo, imo we havn't seen a rookie with route running ability like this since Greg Jennings, he's a easy fan fav :aok:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yoop wrote:
09 Aug 2022 21:49
bobsacamano wrote:
everyone is on the edge of there seat for Romeo, imo we havn't seen a rookie with route running ability like this since Greg Jennings, he's a easy fan fav :aok:
He is ssoooo much like Jennings (as a player, I know nothing about his personality, etc).

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
09 Aug 2022 21:49
bobsacamano wrote:
O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art though Romeo?

:thwap:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Anyone else getting worried about the invisible Watkins?

Sammy has had very few highlights so far, and Andy Herman said he hasn't looked fast or explosive. He went so far as to say his roster spot is no longer guaranteed.

All I've seen from him are some clips of circus catches on snaps where he hasn't really tried to be fast or explosive.. :idn:

But the options aren't great: Either he's going less than full speed through camp, or he has lost the step. Best case scenario, I suppose, is that he's not giving 100% effort due to being careful with some injury he hasn't completely healed from. If there's no injury, I hate vets not giving their all on snaps, because every snap not only trains the WR, but the defender too. Most of our CBs need and want the training. If Watkins has lost a step, his contract is easily cuttable.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

salmar80 wrote:
10 Aug 2022 07:22

Sammy has had very few highlights so far, and Andy Herman said he hasn't looked fast or explosive. He went so far as to say his roster spot is no longer guaranteed.

All I've seen from him are some clips of circus catches on snaps where he hasn't really tried to be fast or explosive.. :idn:

But the options aren't great: Either he's going less than full speed through camp, or he has lost the step. Best case scenario, I suppose, is that he's not giving 100% effort due to being careful with some injury he hasn't completely healed from. If there's no injury, I hate vets not giving their all on snaps, because every snap not only trains the WR, but the defender too. Most of our CBs need and want the training. If Watkins has lost a step, his contract is easily cuttable.
The fact is that someone good is going to get cut. And it won't be Doubs or Watson.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 Aug 2022 08:16
salmar80 wrote:

The fact is that someone good is going to get cut. And it won't be Doubs or Watson.
sammy watkins hasnt been a good nfl player his entire career. Not shocked that hasnt changed as he has aged.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Aug 2022 10:58
He was worse than Hunter Bradley.

Read More. Post Less.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

NCF wrote:
10 Aug 2022 11:19
Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Aug 2022 10:58
He was worse than Hunter Bradley.
Yep.

I never thought it would be so hard to find the next Rob Davis or Brett Goode
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:

he had a hammy issue or so he thought, MRI showed no tare, but he's probably taking it easy worried about it and doesn't want a problem prior to the first game of the season, he's had several plays where he out ran the fastest CB we have, so he still has the burst, I don't see any reason to cut him, he's still the most experienced receiver we have.

everyone hear would like to listen to what Herman had to say