The Jordan Love decision

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

British
Reactions:

The Jordan Love decision

Post by British »

Interested to hear the hive minds view on Love's 5th year option.

We're likely in the middle of the final minutes of Jordan Love's playing career in Green Bay before the front office have to decide whether to take up his 5th year option at the end of 2022, which would trigger a $20m contract for 2024.

Hopefully Rodgers stays healthy and there's no need for Love in 2022. That would mean the Packers would have only the current pre season games as the last in-game action upon which to base their decision.

Obviously if Rodgers retires after this year (maybe with a Superbowl ring) then it's probably a simpler decision and they activate Love's 5th year option.

But if Rodgers remains then the Packers have a decision to make. Rodgers could retire at any time and if he goes after 2023 the Packers would probably like to have Love under contract considering the investment in him and the growth he's shown despite missing pre-seasons in his first 2 years due to Covid and injury.

But if Rodgers plays in 2024 he has a cap hit of $40m and Love would be due $20m.

Do we think it's possible that the Packers, forced to make a decision without knowing Rodgers' future in 2024, triggers Love's 5th year option after this season?

Then, if Rodgers is still playing at a high level going into 2024 they trade Love to a QB needy team. This could either be for a late pick knowing that his new team has to pay him 20m, or for a slightly less late pick but Green Bay covers a portion of his deal making Love a cheap starting QB for his new team.

Either way, it seems that the Packers could probably get out of the Love contract, at least partially, whilst still keeping their options open for 2024 and beyond.

If I'm Gute, that approach seems to offer the best combination of QB flexibility. Now maybe 2024 comes round and Love is untradable even for a conditional 7th rounder. But that seems unlikely considering he'll still be just 25 (same age as Joe Burrow is now), and he's likely to get better rather than worse over the next two years as he develops his craft.

Add to that the salary cap is projected to jump as much as 50m in 2024 meaning Love's contract may be more easily accommodated by his new team or partially covered by the Packers.

Or do the Packers not trigger the 5th year option, and risk being without both Rodgers and Love in 2024?

Thoughts welcome!

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

If Gutey had to make the decision today, I don't think Love would have shown enough to warrant the option.

But there's still 2 preseason games to go, a whole season, and I don't think even AR knows AR's plans for after this season.

I don't think you use the 5th year option unless the plan is for Love to start. If you give him that, that's a signal. If you plan to start him and DON'T use the option, that would be an insult to the QB. Whatever the amount is, it's supposed to be a starting point for a long term deal. Not giving a QB that is saying "we don't believe in you".

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yes, it is too soon to make a decision on Love's future in GB.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

There is something else that needs to be considered. Danny Etling. After bouncing around the practice squads of the Patriots, Falcons, Broncos and Vikings (and a failed conversion to WR) he looked good on Friday.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

salmar80 wrote:
14 Aug 2022 10:56
If Gutey had to make the decision today, I don't think Love would have shown enough to warrant the option.

But there's still 2 preseason games to go, a whole season, and I don't think even AR knows AR's plans for after this season.

I don't think you use the 5th year option unless the plan is for Love to start. If you give him that, that's a signal. If you plan to start him and DON'T use the option, that would be an insult to the QB. Whatever the amount is, it's supposed to be a starting point for a long term deal. Not giving a QB that is saying "we don't believe in you".
So two more preseason games against non starters is going to be the key? I doubt it. They no what they have.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Justin Fields will be a lot better QB in the NFL than Love.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

wallyuwl wrote:
14 Aug 2022 13:50
Based on what evidence?

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Remember when many packer fans wanted to get rid of Aaron Rodgers his first few years? Good times.

Love is still the heir apparent. The upside is tremendous and he has shown improvement. He didn't have enough touch on some of his passes, but that is common with an excited young player.

If forced to decide today, the 5th year option would be exercised.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
14 Aug 2022 14:21
wallyuwl wrote:
Based on what evidence?
The biggest evidence will be that Feilds will get a chance to be an nfl qb. If Love starts for the Packers it will be bad news. Personally I have no interest in bears qb. What has Love shown u that stands out?

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:
Based on what evidence?
Their play.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

wallyuwl wrote:
14 Aug 2022 17:25
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:
Based on what evidence?
Their play.
I know you are no fan of Love's, but that's brutal. Because Fields sucked last season, sucked in his first game this year, and is with da Bears who still suck. Da Bears paid over twice the price we paid for Love (2 waaaaaay higher first rounders, a 4th and a 5th), have nothing else at QB, and can't afford him not starting.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Would you rather exercise a $20 mil fifth yr option or extend him on a 3-4 yr deal that pays him moderately well backup money?

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

APB wrote:
14 Aug 2022 18:01
Would you rather exercise a $20 mil fifth yr option or extend him on a 3-4 yr deal that pays him moderately well backup money?
Is the fifth yr option 20 mil? That's bat &%$@ crazy.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

APB wrote:
IF the Packers view him as a future starter, and Love were dumb enough to take a cheap extension, hell yeah the Packers should do it.

But Love wouldn't and shouldn't take such an extension.

If the Packers wouldn't want to commit to him and show it by using the option, he should let the contract run out and go to a QB -needy team. The only reason to take it would be if he's resigned to being a career backup, and if that were the case, I wouldn't want him on the team.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Realist wrote:
14 Aug 2022 18:06
APB wrote:
According to the OP it is. Can’t say I looked it up myself.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:
Based on what evidence?
A hunch :rotf:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

APB wrote:
14 Aug 2022 18:07
Realist wrote:
14 Aug 2022 18:06
APB wrote:
According to the OP it is. Can’t say I looked it up myself.
It can vary a lot depending on playing time and accolades. I think 20M estimate sounds even a little low for a QB for 2023...
Basic: Players who do not meet any of the requirements below will be eligible for a fifth year base salary calculated from the average of the 3rd to 25th highest salaries at their position over the past five seasons.

Playtime: These players will be eligible for a fifth year base salary calculated from the average of the 3rd to 20th highest salaries at their position over the past five seasons, provided that their snap counts over their first three seasons meet one of the following three criteria:

- 75% or greater in two of their first three seasons
- an average of 75% or greater over all three seasons
- 50% or greater over all three seasons

One Pro Bowl: Players who are named to exactly one Pro Bowl on the original ballot (not as an alternate) will be eligible for a fifth year base salary equal to the transition tender at their position.

Multiple Pro Bowls: Players who are named to two or three Pro Bowls on the original ballot (not as an alternate) will be eligible for a fifth year base salary equal to the franchise tender at their position.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

salmar80 wrote:
14 Aug 2022 17:58
wallyuwl wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Based on what evidence?
Their play.
I know you are no fan of Love's, but that's brutal. Because Fields sucked last season, sucked in his first game this year, and is with da Bears who still suck. Da Bears paid over twice the price we paid for Love (2 waaaaaay higher first rounders, a 4th and a 5th), have nothing else at QB, and can't afford him not starting.
fields didnt suck last year
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Aug 2022 18:36
salmar80 wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Their play.
Oh, c'mon! If this were Love's statline, you'd be calling it sucking all day all night.
_
image.png
image.png (14.32 KiB) Viewed 716 times

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

salmar80 wrote:
14 Aug 2022 18:47
Drj820 wrote:
14 Aug 2022 18:36
salmar80 wrote:

Oh, c'mon! If this were Love's statline, you'd be calling it sucking all day all night.
_
image.png
Not true at all. First of all, Fields coach was a total bozo. Second, they had an awful OL, and bad weapons. Fields walked into truly one of THE worst situations in the league. Love walked into a situation where he could play largely awful, and still only lose to the Chiefs by a margin that could be blamed on STs.

When looking at a rookie QB, you want to see some pop off the screen. You want to see some plays where you go "okay, we can work with that in the future". I watched Fields, and I saw those types of plays from him in college, and I saw some of them during his rookie season. I def dont care about the Win Loss record for a rookie QB, and the stat line certainly tells some of the story, but not all of it. I saw Fields make some plays where I said "wow".

Now, im not being a wise guy here...I would like to recall them if they have happened...in preseason action and game action, in the good situation Love has been in on the field...has he shown us much to say "wow" over? Maybe im just not remembering. Are there some plays where we can look back on and say "Hmmm ya...i think we got something here?"

Il spare you the links, but type in "Justin Fields rookie highlights" on youtube and you will see what Im talking about. I honestly think the Bears may sabotage his career, but I think if they can get some things right around him...I do think Fields has the skillset to be a very good QB.
Last edited by Drj820 on 14 Aug 2022 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23