COVID and life without sports

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Haven't missed anything yet. Football doesn't start until later.

Wait, there are other sports people watch?

bobsacamano
Reactions:

Post by bobsacamano »

Packfntk wrote:
01 Jul 2020 15:48
Damn, can't believe how many are not into other sports here. Live for Packers, Soccer, Brewers, Badgers, and Bucks.
I wish I liked other sports. Don't really like the MLB due to no salary cap and despite basketball being my favorite sport to play, the NBA Is just garbage now a days. I used to live for NCAA basketball but just grew away from it. I think some of it as I've gotten elder with a career and all, I really only have time to follow one sport and team closely. Packers trump everything else so I concentrate on them.

Also, I think sports used to be a bit of an escape from every day life like politics, etc and that is really gone. I'm sure that deters a bunch of people away from it. I know I'm tired of hearing athletes political opinions and input from either side of the aisle. If I wanted to hear about that, I'd tune into one of the news channels.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Friday evening I will be out on the lake pretending to fish, lounging with beers in the cooler listening to baseball on the radio, life will be good.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Is anyone even remotely excited about this MLB 60 game thing? Seriously.

This shortened season helps the Brewers in a lot of ways, but I just can't seem to get myself to care too much. Maybe its the fact if the Brewers did actually do something, is it going to feel like an asterisk was next to 2020?

I just feel like they need to scrap both the MLB and NBA seasons.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
22 Jul 2020 10:02

This shortened season helps the Brewers in a lot of ways, but I just can't seem to get myself to care too much. Maybe its the fact if the Brewers did actually do something, is it going to feel like an asterisk was next to 2020?

I am excited for real competitive sports!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Alright, maybe I'm just a little bit excited to see the Brewers tomorrow.
RIP JustJeff

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Loved listening to the Twins on the radio last night while I was tinkering in the garage.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Had the Brewers on the tele last night as well.

It felt... right

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

WI pushed high school fall sports back to September, I can't imagine them playing at all. There is a plan in place that they could push them to the spring, and push spring back to summer which would suck, but these are the times we live in.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
23 Jul 2020 13:51
WI pushed high school fall sports back to September, I can't imagine them playing at all. There is a plan in place that they could push them to the spring, and push spring back to summer which would suck, but these are the times we live in.
Partly true, but yes. CC and Golf start on the 17th then Football, Volleyball, and Soccer on Sept. 7th. Without some changes for the good I don't see them sticking with that. I would rather play Football in the spring and move Track to the Summer than not have Football at all. That would suck to go football, track, football back to back to back, though. I love coaching both, but with no break between that is rough on the family.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Jul 2020 14:04
Packfntk wrote:
Partly true, but yes. CC and Golf start on the 17th then Football, Volleyball, and Soccer on Sept. 7th. Without some changes for the good I don't see them sticking with that. I would rather play Football in the spring and move Track to the Summer than not have Football at all. That would suck to go football, track, football back to back to back, though. I love coaching both, but with no break between that is rough on the family.
Yes, but that would screw an entire group of kids over, the Spring Sports kids. All of their seasons just got cancelled, and their seasons would then be pushed to summer where they have club sports. Fall playing in Spring is absolute worst case scenerio for those kids.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
23 Jul 2020 14:08
Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Jul 2020 14:04
Packfntk wrote:
Yes, but that would screw an entire group of kids over, the Spring Sports kids. All of their seasons just got cancelled, and their seasons would then be pushed to summer where they have club sports. Fall playing in Spring is absolute worst case scenerio for those kids.
Personally, and no offense to you, I don't give a &%$@ about club sports and AAU type &%$@. Does my contempt for for profit youth sports show?! ;)

Trust me, I know how &%$@ it was that spring sports got cancelled. I had a 4 time state champ in the throes going for her 5th and 6th state championship.

Football rules all though, right or wrong.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Yeah, I get it. Just sucks for that group of kids, and the clubs will not let them play high school during their season. They are paying big bucks for club, so they will do that if it is in the summer, and high school spring sports will never get most of those kids back IMO.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
23 Jul 2020 14:15
Yeah, I get it. Just sucks for that group of kids, and the clubs will not let them play high school during their season. They are paying big bucks for club, so they will do that if it is in the summer, and high school spring sports will never get most of those kids back IMO.
We'll get almost all of the kids. Most club sports run year round anyway so I don't think it will affect that so much. I have too many girls that play basketball or volleyball and run track at the same time. I always have to be careful with them and overuse injuries.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Jul 2020 15:22
Packfntk wrote:
23 Jul 2020 14:15
We'll get almost all of the kids. Most club sports run year round anyway so I don't think it will affect that so much. I have too many girls that play basketball or volleyball and run track at the same time. I always have to be careful with them and overuse injuries.
Yeah, I have the girls for soccer in the spring. Not a chance that most of them will do high school over club, especially with a shortened season. Every one of them play club soccer, or AAU basketball. Lacrosse will also struggle so many of those dudes have other obligations, and that is not even counting the fact that spring sports under the new plan will go to mid/late July. A lot of kids going on to play sports in college leave in early-mid July. Or those that enlist, etc.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheGreenMan wrote:

Seeing there isn't a lot on TV worth watching it will be good to watch some live sports other than NASCAR and golf... :P

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pugger wrote:
23 Jul 2020 18:59
TheGreenMan wrote:

Seeing there isn't a lot on TV worth watching it will be good to watch some live sports other than NASCAR and golf... :P
NASCAR and golf are not sports.

;)

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
24 Jul 2020 09:10
Pugger wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:

;)
:swear:
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

NCF wrote:
24 Jul 2020 09:10
Pugger wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:

;)
I know you are joking but is golf not a sport? :lol:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I am enjoying watching the PGA Championship this week, even with no fans. Good golf, no protesting while working, no masks, seems normal except no fans.