Packers @ Vikings GDT: Sunday, Sept. 11th, 3:25 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Arctic Pack Fan wrote:
12 Sep 2022 15:43
That game was a real stinker. Watson is a RECEIVER right? That play seemed to set the tone for Green Bay. Lots of mistakes, the team wasn't ready. Maybe next year play some starters in pre season. Very disappointed.
Watson had the highest drop rate in college. His drop rate was double or triple of almost all of the receivers drafted. He is an elite athlete that has suspect hands. He’ll need a couple of years of focused work/practice and he should improve like MVS did. I’m not sure why he was out there when Doubs (who actually proved himself in preaseason) could have ran the same route…probably with a different outcome.
Love is the answer…

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Foosball wrote:
12 Sep 2022 20:34
Arctic Pack Fan wrote:
That game was a real stinker. Watson is a RECEIVER right? That play seemed to set the tone for Green Bay. Lots of mistakes, the team wasn't ready. Maybe next year play some starters in pre season. Very disappointed.
Watson had the highest drop rate in college. His drop rate was double or triple of almost all of the receivers drafted. He is an elite athlete that has suspect hands. He’ll need a couple of years of focused work/practice and he should improve like MVS did. I’m not sure why he was out there when Doubs (who actually proved himself in preaseason) could have ran the same route…probably with a different outcome.
Same reason Amari is fair catching, errr returning, kicks instead of unemployed: he was a high draft pick. Draft status supercedes the ability to actually play football under Gute and MLF.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
12 Sep 2022 21:05
Foosball wrote:
Arctic Pack Fan wrote:
Same reason Amari is fair catching, errr returning, kicks instead of unemployed: he was a high draft pick. Draft status supercedes the ability to actually play football under Gute and MLF.
Everyone everywhere since the beginning of football and every other sport. You can’t possibly think this is a Gute and LaFleur exclusive trait.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Kind of wondering why Aaron didn't let this one rip for Watson here, seemed like he was getting ready to throw and it was #1 read, initially had time.

And no yoop, lupe or drj, I'm not 'hating' on Aaron, simply wondering why he didn't throw that, could have been 1 of many many reasons, but as long as Aaron can still sling it 60-65 yards, looked it is was there.

Right here it looks like his eyes have been on Watson for about 2-3 steps and he flipping his hips to launch it, but just doesn't pull the trigger.

image.png
image.png (1.57 MiB) Viewed 518 times

Few frames later, Watson with a clear few steps.

image.png
image.png (1.58 MiB) Viewed 518 times

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Raptorman wrote:
12 Sep 2022 18:05
go pak go wrote:
12 Sep 2022 16:03
The Packers played an F game and still was honestly 3 legitimate plays away from winning the game.
You do realize that all games are decided on about 6 plays total? Everything else is just filler. You can change 3 plays in almost any game and make the outcome different.
I do realize that.

But when the plays are 4th and 1 and a guaranteed dropped TD that goes against GB's favor you can start to see not all "pivotal" plays are created equal. Those were major bounces towards MN's favor.

There were two drives I was really disappointed about in GB and super impressed by MN. The first drive and the 99 yard drive. Those are absolutely deserved.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Foosball wrote:
Arctic Pack Fan wrote:
the stats make it look worse then it is, basically he was the only receiver they threw to and they don't throw very much, repetition is the mother of retention, Watson needs to be thrown to a lot, and he's been hurt most of camp
https://beargoggleson.com/2022/04/09/ch ... ago-bears/

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
13 Sep 2022 08:13
Kind of wondering why Aaron didn't let this one rip for Watson here, seemed like he was getting ready to throw and it was #1 read, initially had time.

And no yoop, lupe or drj, I'm not 'hating' on Aaron, simply wondering why he didn't throw that, could have been 1 of many many reasons, but as long as Aaron can still sling it 60-65 yards, looked it is was there.

Right here it looks like his eyes have been on Watson for about 2-3 steps and he flipping his hips to launch it, but just doesn't pull the trigger.

image.png

image.png
firing it off to Watson even though he hadn't cleared yet would have been better then taking a sack, my question the whole game was why are we running go routes? pass pro was leaky at best, instead of seeing a shorter west coast scheme we use slow developing pass routes, it seemed to me we where watching the pre lafluer offenses that had sucked for years.

then ya throw in a few of the back and forths between Rodgers and Lafluer on the side lines after he'd screw up another series and it would seem we have another power struggle going on

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
Foosball wrote:
Arctic Pack Fan wrote:
are we going to have to listen to these ignorant comments all year? the goal on ST's is to not make mistakes, Amari is at the stage that he isn't making any, and it's not as though he's had room to run after the catch, your being unrealistic about this.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
13 Sep 2022 06:41
wallyuwl wrote:
Foosball wrote:

Everyone everywhere since the beginning of football and every other sport. You can’t possibly think this is a Gute and LaFleur exclusive trait.
No but it is a deviation (and not a good one) from TT.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Amari Rodgers had a fair competition vs another legit return who is incredibly fast.

Rodgers clearly won that battle in preseason. I also thought Rodgers went up the field immediately on his returns.

I have far more things to complain about from Sunday compared to Amari Rodgers returning the ball.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Spofford takes a look at some Zach Tom film:

https://www.packers.com/news/what-you-m ... ble-relief
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Newman and Tom on the right side, shoulda woulda coulda, I guess.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Yoop wrote:
13 Sep 2022 09:32
BF004 wrote:
13 Sep 2022 08:13

image.png

image.png
firing it off to Watson even though he hadn't cleared yet would have been better then taking a sack, my question the whole game was why are we running go routes? pass pro was leaky at best, instead of seeing a shorter west coast scheme we use slow developing pass routes, it seemed to me we where watching the pre lafluer offenses that had sucked for years.

then ya throw in a few of the back and forths between Rodgers and Lafluer on the side lines after he'd screw up another series and it would seem we have another power struggle going on
Looking at that play they are clearly expecting only a go route from Watson. The cushion is enormous and he still beats it. Agree they need to develop shorter routes off of the goes for him.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Based on what was presumably a limited passing scheme (due to the injuries and youth at WR), Jones/Dillon did not get nearly enough touches. That might be the most telling stat, aside from losing the turnover battle by two.

Otherwise, we could’ve anticipated pressure on Rodgers. Our OLine was what it was. You can’t put 2.5 starters out and expect great things against Z and Hunter. It won’t happen.

Also, seems like Rodgers will not run at all. He is strictly a pocket passer now. I’d like to see him move a little more because that is part of what makes him great. He was just stiff too much. I know he’s old now. But he needs to do better or retire.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I agree that we seem to be using a lot of deep routes again but maybe that is so he can check down to Jones & Dillon more to keep the ball in their hands? I'm was hoping MLF was going to be real run happy this game. Just pound the ball, even if you had a couple of 3 and outs. Wanted to see our RBs get 10-15 carries in the 1st half.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

packman114 wrote:
13 Sep 2022 15:45
I agree that we seem to be using a lot of deep routes again but maybe that is so he can check down to Jones & Dillon more to keep the ball in their hands? I'm was hoping MLF was going to be real run happy this game. Just pound the ball, even if you had a couple of 3 and outs. Wanted to see our RBs get 10-15 carries in the 1st half.
Starting to wonder if, despite his public comments, if pounding the rock is just not in his DNA. Maybe he wants to show off cute designs too much, or maybe he’s impatient.

or If it’s in his, but not Rodgers, maybe he never goes against 12 and 12 is the real OC???

Because this is year 4, we have never had an overly talented GROUP of receivers in his time here, and I might need 3 fingers (at most) to count how many games we have stayed patient and pounded the rock
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

packman114 wrote:
OK, but is that the type offense we want to be again? a stretch vertical with RB check downs? I sure hope not, last year Rodgers was getting rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds, one of the quickest in the league, instead of RB check downs there where designed pass plays to them, instead of go routes, most passes where mid depth, what we did last year worked well, why would we change that approach.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

To me on that play Rodgers turns on the fake and Watson is clearly gone but the spy player just goes at Rodgers and I dont think the time was there to step up. That would have been a 60ish yard pass that needed to get there quickly. Probably Rodgers needs to flip around faster on that to look for the go route.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Sep 2022 16:02
packman114 wrote:
Starting to wonder if, despite his public comments, if pounding the rock is just not in his DNA. Maybe he wants to show off cute designs too much, or maybe he’s impatient.

or If it’s in his, but not Rodgers, maybe he never goes against 12 and 12 is the real OC???

Because this is year 4, we have never had an overly talented GROUP of receivers in his time here, and I might need 3 fingers (at most) to count how many games we have stayed patient and pounded the rock
pounding the rock works more consistently with a cohesive run blocking OL, we don't have that, and what happens is a good DL will figure out how to beat those blocks, I admit though Dillon was driving through some tough hits and Jones has the quicks and vision to turn nothing in a few yard, very few teams are run heavy, I'am far more worried about the pass schemes, I want designated pass routes to both Dillon and Jones, not last resort check downs.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
13 Sep 2022 17:36
packman114 wrote:
OK, but is that the type offense we want to be again? a stretch vertical with RB check downs? I sure hope not, last year Rodgers was getting rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds, one of the quickest in the league, instead of RB check downs there where designed pass plays to them, instead of go routes, most passes where mid depth, what we did last year worked well, why would we change that approach.
I mean when your best pass catchers are running backs it’s good strategy to get them open underneath by having receivers take defenders with them down the field. Then when the defenders cheat up to stop the backs, you throw it deep. It may not be most ideal, but it fits our personnel.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur