Packer 2022 Defense Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
04 Oct 2022 10:55
Daniel Jones is the type of QB that will cause sleepless nights for Joe Barry. Strong running game, he can run himself, and he throws a really pretty deep ball. If you think this is the week we get out of the two-high looks, prepare to be disappointed.
Honestly, what's the point of having three top-tier CBs and speed at safety if you play 2-deep all the time, particularly against a team without Sterling Shepard and Kenny Golladay and probably without Kadarius Toney.

Like who is threatening?

Now, Saquan gets a ton of yardage on the second level, so stacking the box might just mean no one around to make the next-level tackle if he breaks a tackle or two early, which he tends to do. So I'm not all gung ho about it. But it does seem like the point of having such great CBs should be that it frees up the DC to move other players, like the safeties, around more creatively.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

NY will want to run, run, and run some more on Sunday. That is not only because Saquon Barkley is healthy and leading the NFL in rushing but also because Daniel Jones, who is not a great throwing QB to begin with, will be gimpy even if he plays on Sunday. It also appears that 5 of the Giants top 6 WRs will not play (Shepard, Golloday, Toney) or may not play as they were listed as limited in today's injury report (James & Robinson).

I hope to see a real commitment to stopping the run this Sunday. I think it can be done. I also think the Pack will score on the Giants' D (several key injuries on that side of the ball for NY as well) and go up more than 1 score in the first half, thus forcing a punchless Giants passing attack to do what it does not want to do and throw the ball.

This is a perfect opportunity for the Pack to put up a dominant defensive performance. 14 or fewer points against and 2 or more turnovers.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

I was really optimistic that the 2022 version of the Packers' defense would be unlike what we have seen for over a decade. More specifically, I anticipated we'd be treated to seeing an attacking, aggressive, legitimate top 10 defense.

5 games in, that is not the case and truthfully considering the opponents faced, it is not even close to being the case. Even more disappointingly, given how the Packers apparently want to play defense, I no longer believe this can ever be a truly dominant defense no matter how many 1st round picks are spent on the defensive side of the ball.

The turning point came for me late in the first half. Up 17-3, the Pack had all the momentum after Big Dog's TD and had the Giants pinned back due to a great STs tackle inside the 15 yard line.

This is where the top Defenses put the boot on the throat of an opponent with an anemic passing attack.

A bad holding penalty (on Rasul to negate a 1st down sack by Reed). Then the D gets out-schemed in the Wildcat and gives up a long run by Saquan (that can happen against the NFL's leading runner). Facing a little adversity, the D reverts to going soft on multiple 3rd down passing plays and gives up 1st downs. Such passivity is bewildering, but it has been a hallmark of Packer defenses for a long, long time. More importantly, this is just how Joe Barry seemingly wants it to be.

For the rest of the game, the Giants were the aggressor on O and the Pack played its usual conservative D waiting for Jones to make a mistake that never came.

I think the TALENT is there for this to be a truly dominant defense, but the scheme, mentality, approach whatever you want to call it is not.

PS did anyone catch how aggressive Wink Martindale was on D today?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Quite literally 100% zone all day... WTF...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

Y'all just now realizing Joe Barry sucks???

If I invested this much capital into my personal investments and got these results I would've fired dude a LONG time ago

Leonard turning us down for college chicks will cost us a SB

It's embarrassing honestly

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
09 Oct 2022 11:47

If I invested this much capital into my personal investments and got these results I would've fired dude a LONG time ago

Leonard is overrated too.

Barry was fine last year. This year he has gone into a shell. Far too passive with the level of talent he has.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Oct 2022 11:51
kyle.mccarroll wrote:

Barry was fine last year. This year he has gone into a shell. Far too passive with the level of talent he has.
Best CB group in the league while we play 7 yards off in zone all day against Daniel effing Jones

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

Also we waste Rasul in the slot cuz we are worried about Jaire getting hurt, give me a break

I would've rather not resigned him if we are gonna play him out of position, it's a waste of resources

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
09 Oct 2022 12:01
100% coaching, Barry has about one of the most vanilla schemes I can ever remembering seeing at the NFL level. On top of that he isnt inspiring these guys either. They play like every other Packers defense weve had over the years excluding the 2020 defense. They had energy and that came from Zadarius. I will never understand for the life of me how he wasnt a captain in 2021. He didnt need to throw a hissy fit over it but I agree with his anger. He did change the defensive culture here while it lasted. Now hes gone and its the same dry bland energy I see from the defense.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
09 Oct 2022 11:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Oct 2022 11:51
kyle.mccarroll wrote:

Best CB group in the league while we play 7 yards off in zone all day against Daniel effing Jones
And that supposed best CB still has coverage breakdowns on 3rd and long allowing Slaytonn or James be wide open on a crosser :roll:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
09 Oct 2022 11:54
Also we waste Rasul in the slot cuz we are worried about Jaire getting hurt, give me a break

I would've rather not resigned him if we are gonna play him out of position, it's a waste of resources
Yeah. I have a feeling a lot of people will be joining our bandwagon on this one
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Oct 2022 12:30
kyle.mccarroll wrote:
09 Oct 2022 12:01
100% coaching, Barry has about one of the most vanilla schemes I can ever remembering seeing at the NFL level. On top of that he isnt inspiring these guys either. They play like every other Packers defense weve had over the years excluding the 2020 defense. They had energy and that came from Zadarius. I will never understand for the life of me how he wasnt a captain in 2021. He didnt need to throw a hissy fit over it but I agree with his anger. He did change the defensive culture here while it lasted. Now hes gone and its the same dry bland energy I see from the defense.
IMHO the spark that fired up last years defense was Gary, Campbell, Clark and Douglass, players pick the Captains along with the cords, Z fired up the defense in 2020.

Barry has been experimenting with different fronts, but it almost seems like total confusion in the secondary with coverage, and Quay Walker has been terrible in coverage way to often, he could have had a pick on that long pass play, he sat there and watched the ball for the last 10 yrds of flight, just stood there like a statue.

imo Barry needs to go back to playing more Man and move Alexander into the slot

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

After starting the game with back-to-back three-and-outs, The Giants’ next five drives resulted in:

8 plays, 45 yards, field goal.

11 plays, 86 yards, touchdown.

11 plays, 56 yards, field goal.

15 plays, 91 yards, touchdown.

6 plays, 60 yards, touchdown.

338 yards over 5 consecutive drives.

I just can't get my head around the fact that the NY Giants with Daniel Jones at QB toyed with the defense.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

LombardiTime wrote:
09 Oct 2022 14:24
After starting the game with back-to-back three-and-outs, The Giants’ next five drives resulted in:

8 plays, 45 yards, field goal.

11 plays, 86 yards, touchdown.

11 plays, 56 yards, field goal.

15 plays, 91 yards, touchdown.

6 plays, 60 yards, touchdown.

338 yards over 5 consecutive drives.

I just can't get my head around the fact that the NY Giants with Daniel Jones at QB toyed with the defense.
And they had no WRs.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Give credit to Jones. He actually played well, maybe the best game of his career. And once the Giants got the momentum, Green Bay never did a thing to stop it from multiplying.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

What will it take to start the “Fire Barry” thread?

This defense is just embarrassing. And it isn’t for lack of talent.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Barry had an awful resume when he was hired, had a big year last year tho. Regression to the mean?
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

LombardiTime wrote:
09 Oct 2022 11:22
For the rest of the game, the Giants were the aggressor on O and the Pack played its usual conservative D waiting for Jones to make a mistake that never came.

This!

I’ve been saying for over two years now that MLF needs to learn how to TAKE games from the opponents. He has relied on Rodgers all this time.

I don’t like Pete Carroll’s personality at all. But I tell you that he knows how to take wins from other teams like no coach that I’ve seen in some time. Do a trick play or a unique call to create a turnover or an unexpected onside kick or do SOMETHING unusual to show the other team that you will overcome them. MLF can win all the games in regular season on talent. But in January, you do not get by just on talent. Intangibles can become everything.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Does anyone know what % of plays we played zone not just this game but also for the season?