Matt LaFleur

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

FWIW, MLF is the one who told Barry to go more aggressive with the D. And overall, that aggressive D did pretty well, keeping us in the game, until the fourth quarter.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
17 Oct 2022 11:28
FWIW, MLF is the one who told Barry to go more aggressive with the D. And overall, that aggressive D did pretty well, keeping us in the game, until the fourth quarter.
coaches are stubborn, we all know this, there not going to be quick to switch from schemes that had been successful prior, maybe we should rewatch some of the late Packer coach Michael J. McCarthy's iso vert routes minus GJ, Nelson, Cobb, Jones and even Driver for a season, if ya don't have the players that made certain schemes work, everything looks terrible trying to force them to.

now I'am not exonerating Rodgers and this terrible pass pro blocking OL, however minus Cobb, we are left with Doubs and Amari Rodgers as short zone receivers with agility ( courts still out on Amari, though he had a nice reception yesterday) the others have to be schemed open, and depending what the opponent defense has been doing, scheming them open isn't always available in the first ten or so yrds, specially so considering tight man coverage.

seems Rodgers throws some excellent passes, we saw that in the hurry up, course thats against prevent zone, 3 man pass rush allows Rodgers a split second more, and receivers open under neath, my point is, and we know, Rodgers is very good with a clean pocket, and not as good any more under duress, and at times down right terrible.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

bud fox wrote:
16 Oct 2022 19:51
We have a really poor receiver group with limited route options

A really poor oline that can't block.

Hard to blame the coach if wrs can't run routes and oline can't block.
Which coach?

I mean, the o-line is the same group that graded out and performed as a top unit just last year. The WR room, while made up of some new faces, has several returning players and new veterans who have been in the system/worked similar systems for multiple years. Why is the route tree limited?

If anything, I'd say the position coaches are prime suspects when it comes to identifying where the problems on offense arise. Their units aren't performing even with players who are known to excel in their position play.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

BF004 wrote:
16 Oct 2022 15:51
I don’t have a magic fix idea, if I had one, I’d share it. Probably just comes down to effort, execution, and star players stepping up.
I got one. Pad level. It worked for us once before, it can work again.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

APB wrote:
16 Oct 2022 15:34
I think the offensive coaching turnover is a much bigger thing than what everybody thought it’d be. The Packers lost Hackett and Getsy, the two coaches that had the most influence over the offense (and Rodgers) outside of the HC and moved their highly successful o-line coach to a coordinator position he is clearly struggling with.
I don't think so, tbh. I never thought Hackett was all that important. Rodgers is the OC. Don't get me wrong, I like Hackett and I hope he succeeds in Denver, and their slow start is not his fault. But Denver thought they were hiring someone from the McVay/Shanahan tree but he is more of a guy from the esteemed Doug Marrone tree.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Oct 2022 21:06
to hiring Barry who McVay passed on, to internal promotion of Stenovich after Hackett leaves....I dont know, this trend is troubling to me.
Maybe I haven't kept up enough but when did the mood shift on Barry? As far as I understood, Packers nation was still largely happy with him. The Vikings crushed us, and the defense underwhelmed a bit the last 2 games but idk this is still better than anything I have seen as a Packers fan minus our SB seasons.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

texas wrote:
17 Oct 2022 17:38
Drj820 wrote:
16 Oct 2022 21:06
to hiring Barry who McVay passed on, to internal promotion of Stenovich after Hackett leaves....I dont know, this trend is troubling to me.
Maybe I haven't kept up enough but when did the mood shift on Barry? As far as I understood, Packers nation was still largely happy with him. The Vikings crushed us, and the defense underwhelmed a bit the last 2 games but idk this is still better than anything I have seen as a Packers fan minus our SB seasons.
I was very vocally against the Barry hire but he did well last year. I’m not being too hard on him yet. My only issue is the soft zones when we have the most talented secondary in the league. I think talent more than scheme is why the D is playing so well. Would be nice if scheme and talent came together to field a special unit
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Too lazy to check the Packers stats archives but MLFs Special Teams are likely the worst in Packers history. At least it feels that way.

I am sorry to say I predicted the blocked punt just before the snap. Both myself and the guy next to me predicted a disturbing Loss when the halftime score was 3 to 3.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 17 Oct 2022 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

The Jets game felt like the Hundley game vs. the Ravens. Lack of preparation, motivation and energy.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

texas wrote:
17 Oct 2022 17:27
BF004 wrote:
16 Oct 2022 15:51
I don’t have a magic fix idea, if I had one, I’d share it. Probably just comes down to effort, execution, and star players stepping up.
I got one. Pad level. It worked for us once before, it can work again.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Bailey Zappe, the Patriots 4th round rookie third string QB, has posted three straight games with a QB rating above 100. Yesterday he threw for over 300 yards and two TDs in a victory over the Browns on the road.

The Patriots have no better WRs than the Packers and they have significantly lesser RBs than the Packers. Their offense is also coordinated by a former defensive coordinator.

All that yet these guys have figured out how to run an NFL caliber offense.

Matt LeFluer and this staff need to get their collective &%$@ together. There is no excuse to be struggling as bad as they are with the talent they have.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

:clap:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
17 Oct 2022 21:00
Bailey Zappe, the Patriots 4th round rookie third string QB, has posted three straight games with a QB rating above 100. Yesterday he threw for over 300 yards and two TDs in a victory over the Browns on the road.

The Patriots have no better WRs than the Packers and they have significantly lesser RBs than the Packers. Their offense is also coordinated by a former defensive coordinator.

All that yet these guys have figured out how to run an NFL caliber offense.

Matt LeFluer and this staff need to get their collective &%$@ together. There is no excuse to be struggling as bad as they are with the talent they have.
NE had the #4 rated OL last week, so that helps Baily, not sure where our OL ranks prior to yesterday, PFF is a pay site, but when ya read comments that our RB's are amongst league leaders for yards after first contact, and watch Rodgers hit, sacked, or chased from the pocket, the ranking can't be very good, point is Matt and Stanavich need to get this OL playing better, give Rodgers and these receivers a little more time, open run lanes so our RB's aren't hit at the los.
everything will improve with better blocking, the way it has for Baily and NE.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I mean belichik is one million times the coach the Lafleur is, and that’s not really even much of a diss toward Lafleur. Belichik would have shipped rodgers off for loot with pleasure when he started his s***. Belichik would have been happy to try to win without him. It may not always work out, as it hasn’t been great the last couple seasons for bill, but he would not be held hostage.

Bill would be a Super Bowl contender with the roster we have. No doubt.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Drj820 wrote:
17 Oct 2022 22:01
I mean belichik is one million times the coach the Lafleur is, and that’s not really even much of a diss toward Lafleur. Belichik would have shipped rodgers off for loot with pleasure when he started his s***. Belichik would have been happy to try to win without him. It may not always work out, as it hasn’t been great the last couple seasons for bill, but he would not be held hostage.

Our def would probably be possibly best in the league but I don't know if our offense would be much different. If you are saying just swapping coach with same roster.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
17 Oct 2022 22:12
Drj820 wrote:

Our def would probably be possibly best in the league but I don't know if our offense would be much different. If you are saying just swapping coach with same roster.
Agree about defense, totally disagree about offense. Newman wouldn’t be on our team anymore and bill would love nothing more than to have two backs like Jones and Dillon. He’d run it 40x a game and rely on our D.

12 would need to decide if he likes stats or super bowls

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

APB wrote:
17 Oct 2022 15:40
bud fox wrote:
16 Oct 2022 19:51
We have a really poor receiver group with limited route options

A really poor oline that can't block.

Hard to blame the coach if wrs can't run routes and oline can't block.
Which coach?

I mean, the o-line is the same group that graded out and performed as a top unit just last year. The WR room, while made up of some new faces, has several returning players and new veterans who have been in the system/worked similar systems for multiple years. Why is the route tree limited?

If anything, I'd say the position coaches are prime suspects when it comes to identifying where the problems on offense arise. Their units aren't performing even with players who are known to excel in their position play.
Oline is getting smashed on the right side - is whole right side new?

Lazard is Ruvell Martin with more reps. He barely gets any separation and is the only receiver that runs different routes. Doubs is either a comeback or deep post/corner route. Tonyan is a seam and out/flat guy. Rbs limited routes. Watson is Jeff Janis routes. Watkins cant remember him now. Cobb injured now - slot guy had more options with. Who else is there.

People said these units weren't great preseason but people get excited after preseason for some unknown reason.

They are just low investment guys.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Watson was high investment. He isn't Janis routes... he is Janis except Janis suited up.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

This is year 4 for Matt and he’s earned credibility with the team through his record. He needs to take ownership of this team. The whole team. Barry works for him, he should instruct Barry to play the kind of defense he wants to play. I mean after all that should be easy, he hired the guy.

Special teams, I still like bischachi a whole lot, but Lafleur is ultimately responsible for that unit too.

OL, if there is any truth that Newman starts because the OL coach likes him, Lafleur needs to only start him if he too likes him. Meaning he needs to take command.

And with rodgers, is rodgers coach? How bout Lafleur tell the player to run the ball and bench the player if he refuses. Seriously. Rodgers is near retirement. It’s time to Lafleur to swing his stick and exert himself as the face of the team. The leader.

This team has no leader because Lafleur has ceded too much ground to basically every dept on the team.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Drj820 wrote:
17 Oct 2022 22:19
bud fox wrote:
17 Oct 2022 22:12
Drj820 wrote:

Agree about defense, totally disagree about offense. Newman wouldn’t be on our team anymore and bill would love nothing more than to have two backs like Jones and Dillon. He’d run it 40x a game and rely on our D.

12 would need to decide if he likes stats or super bowls
Tom at rg?

Packers have had more 1000 yard rushes than pats over last 10 years. I also don't think Belichek would waste cap space and high draft picks on a rb - different to early in his career but the game has changed.

It is just a bad team on our offense.
Top Qb
Top LT but torn ACL, LG but torn ACL, other oline are mid to bad
Rbs good but they are rbs
Receivers are terrible

Personnel is not great. 1 first rounder in the group and that's the old QB.

The question is can Rodgers overcome these things and get us to the playoffs? It may be too much this year without Adams.