Aaron Rodgers Contract Adjustment

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
07 Nov 2022 20:21
Scott4Pack wrote:
07 Nov 2022 15:08
There was one reason to pay Aaron Rodgers like Guty did. That is, that everything on Lombardi Avenue goes through Aaron Rodgers, at least on the field. When that deal was made, there was still reason to think that he’d play as well as Tom Brady. Very, very few would say otherwise.

So, now that he isn’t…

It’s fair to say that it isn’t just an injured OLine and WR corps. AR is showing definite decline in cognitive skills. The arm strength is certainly still there. But he isn’t reading defenses like he used to.

This season is a wash now. Play him or don’t. But next year, if he doesn’t retire, can you bench a guy getting PAID like this? Nope. You cannot. That is going to be the conundrum. The problems now are nothing compared to what it’ll be next year, unless he can somehow revive his career and actually win games.
Agreed. We were all optimistic for a reason to start the season. If Rodgers played like he played in 2020 and 2021....the move would still have been viewed a good one.

It's just that instead of a top 10 level QB....he is playing like a 20th to 25th rated QB. So the move obviously looks a lot worse when the big contracted player is playing far below his contract.

I get why BG did what he did. But linking with Rodgers is now obviously the wrong move. My hope is we can remove the dead cap all in 2023 so we can get on with the team in 2024.
I don’t think it’s possible for a 38 year old to play like a top ten qb when you give him an awful OL and one of the worst receiving corps in nfl history
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pass protection has been good the past few weeks.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
07 Nov 2022 18:44
Acrobat wrote:
07 Nov 2022 16:23
Yoop wrote:
07 Nov 2022 15:59

really? I'll be taking notes on how that works out, some of us probably thought the same thing in 1968, that rebuild took only 20 years :dunno:
The league is much different than it was in 1968.
It’s almost as if he didn’t even read your post. :lol:
how is the league so much different? it still takes having a good QB, good receivers. good ol, defense, st's, rbs, and if that isn't hard enough to assemble, ya need a GM smart enough to get that right and a coach strong enough to garner the respect for players to listen too.

Back in the 60's you could keep a team loaded with talent together, contracts where reasonable, if anything I would say it's harder to rebuild a team now because this is now a passing league and there is a shortage of throwers, always has been, always will be, it's why I defend Rodgers versus supporting a GM that spent resources in every direction except at the position that would have given the largest impact with helping us score points and win games.

We have limped along for a decade minus defense, ST's, simply because we had at least one quality receiver and a first ballot HOF QB and a decent OL, last year Rodgers and Adams ability says Rodgers still had it, this year I see a frustrated Rodgers who has a group of receivers that have dropped 30 passes in 9 games, doesn't know how much to lead receivers or even if they will run the routes right, say what you will about the decline of a aging QB, but I doubt there is a QB in the league that could do much better.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2022 06:16
Pass protection has been good the past few weeks.
NO, Rodgers has just done better at avoiding the rushers, go rewatch, there is a free rusher coming often, Rodgers alluding them gives the impression pass pro has been better.

Rodgers has been off on some passes, but look at some of the blown assignments, Watson breaking in, Rodgers throws out.

Runyan not sealing the DT from the throwing lane, bonk, Rodgers hits him in the head, that type pass Rodgers throws successfully 99% of the time, lets put it this way, Rodgers has had a lot of help looking bad this year, receivers, OL, a defense that can't stop the run, ST's that allow punts to die at the 2 yrd line, yada yada

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 Nov 2022 06:49

Runyan not sealing the DT from the throwing lane, bonk, Rodgers hits him in the head
I don't know why Rodgers picked that throwing lane. The throw was behind Lazard.

And I disagree about the pass blocking immensley yesterday. The pass protection was by far the best unit on the offense vs Detroit.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2022 07:30
Yoop wrote:

Runyan not sealing the DT from the throwing lane, bonk, Rodgers hits him in the head
I don't know why Rodgers picked that throwing lane. The throw was behind Lazard.

And I disagree about the pass blocking immensley yesterday. The pass protection was by far the best unit on the offense vs Detroit.

He picked that lane because thats where the ball is suppose to be thrown, and if it was behind Lazard, more then likely thats on Lazard for running past the pitch point, as upset as Rodgers openly was, he would be the last place I'd lay that blame

you keep defending every thing except Rodgers, a blind person could see Rodgers alluded the rush, ran several times because this rag tag bunch of receivers can't get open, the line couldn't run block, was a tad better at pass pro, and you act as though it's a good OL, 3 position changes from a backup rookie and you defend this OL

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Narratives can not be strayed from.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 07:57
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

It is impressive the knots that some tie themselves into to stick to them. They literally have to go against what the eyes see to do so.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 07:58
BF004 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

It is impressive the knots that some tie themselves into to stick to them. They literally have to go against what the eyes see to do so.
And somehow, people will read my comment, and twist it into ‘blaming Rodgers for everything’ or ‘front office can do no wrong’

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 08:11
Pckfn23 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

And somehow, people will read my comment, and twist it into ‘blaming Rodgers for everything’ or ‘front office can do no wrong’
It's the go to comment every time. Old reliable when grasping for straws.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

These kind of posts really enrich and promote the health of the forum, thanks.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 08:18
BF004 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

you guys have to be el stupid, it is the job of the OL to seal DL to clear passing lanes, this isn't lob it over there head HS football, where Rodgers threw that ball is a called play, either Myers or Runyan where tasked to do that and failed, ya want to blame Rodgers for everything and you don't even know what for

and the people doing the grasping here are you and others who defend this idea that the front office crew are not the problem

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

As I said, will literally make things up to continue the narrative.

AND we got the old reliable (blame Rodgers for everything) too!

AND we get a bonus "you say front office is not to blame!"

STRIKE THREE! The narrative is so reliable we could write what would be said before it is!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 Nov 2022 07:43
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

He picked that lane because thats where the ball is suppose to be thrown, and if it was behind Lazard, more then likely thats on Lazard for running past the pitch point, as upset as Rodgers openly was, he would be the last place I'd lay that blame

you keep defending every thing except Rodgers, a blind person could see Rodgers alluded the rush, ran several times because this rag tag bunch of receivers can't get open, the line couldn't run block, was a tad better at pass pro, and you act as though it's a good OL, 3 position changes from a backup rookie and you defend this OL
I will say this. Our WR corps is really bad. Sammy Watkins needs to be cut. Doubs and Watson are intriguing but are injured. Lazard is decent but is clearly not a number one. Toure is also intriguing and hopefully they are forced to put him on the field more.

The offensive line started terrible but has now strung three games in a row of decent play. I would even say they played really well in pass protection vs Detroit. Rodgers had many dropbacks with more than 3 seconds to find a guy.

Finally if we are looking at Sunday's game vs Detroit, I will agree that the WRs were terrible. That being said, I firmly believe Jordan Love wins that game. And it's not because Love would have played well....but because Sunday was a rare game that the Packers lost because of the QB1. He played that poorly that literally anyone else could have beaten a bad Lions team who also played poorly. There is no defending #12's play on Sunday.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2022 08:42
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I will say this. Our WR corps is really bad. Sammy Watkins needs to be cut. Doubs and Watson are intriguing but are injured. Lazard is decent but is clearly not a number one. Toure is also intriguing and hopefully they are forced to put him on the field more.

The offensive line started terrible but has now strung three games in a row of decent play. I would even say they played really well in pass protection vs Detroit. Rodgers had many dropbacks with more than 3 seconds to find a guy.

Finally if we are looking at Sunday's game vs Detroit, I will agree that the WRs were terrible. That being said, I firmly believe Jordan Love wins that game. And it's not because Love would have played well....but because Sunday was a rare game that the Packers lost because of the QB1. He played that poorly that literally anyone else could have beaten a bad Lions team who also played poorly. There is no defending #12's play on Sunday.
your reaching here, yes Rodgers did miss on some passes, the pass pro has been inconsistent, but better, but some of it is Rodgers being more mobile in the pocket, he has put the ball where receivers should be able to catch it, Lazard is a great example of the receiver winning contested balls, thats what Rodgers expects, and that is why drafting Watson is something I question, it was the same with the 3 he drafted in 2018, they don't win the contested throws, and if you can't separate as a receiver you have to catch those balls, Lazard is the only receiver that does, and Tonyan does some of the time too.

who knows if Love would have won that game, I defended giving him more time this last PS, again though under pressure and we saw how erratic he became, earlier this season we saw stats that Rodgers is very good in clean pockets, lots of QB's are, but we have not provided clean pockets for Rodgers most of this season, a clean pocket for us is more rare then hair on a frog, so I don't see Love doing well under the pressure we provide our QB's, your guessing. :lol:

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Yoop, don't you see the irony in your statement? You continually defend Rodgers no matter the situation. This blind devotion detracts from the astute observations you are capable of making. Most everyone has stated that there are a lot of problems on the Packer offense, not just Rodgers. But Rodgers is absolutely one of those problems.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
08 Nov 2022 08:30
Pckfn23 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

you guys have to be el stupid, it is the job of the OL to seal DL to clear passing lanes, this isn't lob it over there head HS football, where Rodgers threw that ball is a called play, either Myers or Runyan where tasked to do that and failed, ya want to blame Rodgers for everything and you don't even know what for

and the people doing the grasping here are you and others who defend this idea that the front office crew are not the problem
Wow.

Almost want to give you the benefit of the doubt that you were legit trying to make a joke here with my quoted post above. But was pretty funny either way, Ty for that. :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 08:23
BF004 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Yes, and thank you for the continued, insightful, copy and paste analysis in every single thread about the WRs not being good. Does a lot to engage into what initially was an insightful conversation about Aaron’s contract situation. But now we know the WRs aren’t good, again.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 09:27
Yoop wrote:
08 Nov 2022 08:30
Pckfn23 wrote:

Wow.

Almost want to give you the benefit of the doubt that you were legit trying to make a joke here with my quoted post above. But was pretty funny either way, Ty for that. :lol:
It wasn't necessarily directed at you, simply anyone that will not consider why Rodgers is struggling, that play was one example, same with Watkins failure to recognize the DB leverage.

plenty of blame to go around, and yes, Rodgers deserves some of it, maybe more, at times he looks to purposely throw into coverage rather then a wide open player, just like he did in 2018, imho thats language minus the words, not sure what the message is, but it appears as though he's trying to say something. :beer2:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 09:30
Drj820 wrote:
08 Nov 2022 08:23
BF004 wrote:

Yes, and thank you for the continued, insightful, copy and paste analysis in every single thread about the WRs not being good. Does a lot to engage into what initially was an insightful conversation about Aaron’s contract situation. But now we know the WRs aren’t good, again.
So you are telling me this type of comment isn't enriching to forum discussion??
I’m with raptor on this one. 23 is a hater.
Who knew! It's kind of like there may be some hypocrisy going on. :idn: