Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
07 Mar 2023 10:14
Yoop wrote:
07 Mar 2023 09:24
never have figured out why Rodgers money upset you and others so much, it's as though your oblivious to the cost of top end QB's around the league.
You have on many occasions said you opposed giving Rodgers the mega-deal and slammed the org for doing it, even said that people here were wrong to applaud the deal. So I think you actually know very well why his money is an issue to a lot of people, otherwise, what was your point in being opposed to his mega-deal, as you claim to have been?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 10:05
BF004 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 09:43
Drj820 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 09:34

If they have to eat all that, it will def affect compensation we receive. If we eat more of it, we can probably get better compensation. It may be in our interest to eat what we can.
Aaron has always said he will look to redo his contract, I've predicated that too, stay, trade or retire.

We owe $40 on the cap yet, whether its all this year trade, could spread out retire, or whatever if we go. But I think it'll essentially be a new contract from scratch other than that. Perhaps previous dollars in place are used as the negotiating tactic.

But I don't think it makes any sense to to eat any significant money to just get like another 3rd. People freak out about Mercedes Lewis making $3M, but then are okay just trading $5M for a 5th round equivalency?

I think Aaron and his contract dollars are between him and his new team.

You continue to assume the current contract is no big deal, while smart people continue to point out how much of a factor it will be.

The contract was awful if Rodgers continued to be a packer, it’s firable if there was ever a thought of moving on.
Where am I assuming its no big deal? And I'm a smart person too 8-) .

I get people are talking about that, but I also don't get why they are all ignoring Aaron saying he will look to rework his contract. The Jets/and or other team and Aaron can negotiate whatever they want. If they are creating a new contract with a new team, guess I don't think it makes a lot of sense to add in a third party payer stipulation into that. And it certainly isn't like we are flush with cap room.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Mar 2023 10:18
BF004 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 09:49
And by the same source, that's how much technical space they have--so they can make a deal--but not how much functional space they have in terms of signing players because of the rookie contracts that will take effect and the amount of space you need to go into a season.

If Rodgers is traded as it currently stands, we'd be down to $7 million to sign the rookies and get through the season without other moves. That's basically full. The only big move left to make is an extension for Gary that reduces his cap number. Everything else we could do, save actually cutting guys, are pocket change. If we want to add ANY free agents this offseason, even the Reeds and Nixons of the world, we're going to be tight.

Yes, the contract given to Rodgers last year was awful.

As for the $60 million next year, I could care less. I know teams might push us for money, but Rodgers has been clear that he will re-do a deal to make things work.

The unfortunate part is that he can't save us from dead cap (unless there's some weird rule that lets him pay money back to us from the bonus, which the Packers could then trade, in cash, to the Jets, and the Jets could then use to pay Rodgers, but that's cap assistance to us and cash assistance to the Jets without cap assistance to them.

And I highly doubt a) that's legal or b) Rodgers would want to do that.
Yeah. My thinking was eat Rodgers this year. Trade some picks to next year (I would love 3 1st rounders next year) and then resign during Camp. If you don't sign any big names (like seriously all vet minimum deals basically), we should be able to squeak under this year's cap heading into the season. And I don't believe Reed or Nixon are back. I want Nixon. But I think someone throws more than $6 million/year at him.

But you are right. It will be damn close.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
07 Mar 2023 10:40
Yeah. My thinking was eat Rodgers this year. Trade some picks to next year (I would love 3 1st rounders next year) and then resign during Camp
I don't love the future picks situation; I mean definitely part of the package. But rookies just don't make huge immediate impacts often. I want to add the guys now who are going to grow and contribute to the Love succession plan. I want to open a window sooner than later. I want to add more players earlier; not defer player additions to later years. Draft picks are the best and cheapest way to do so. So I'm wholly against moving draft capital forward. It's reduced trade compensation for a reason. Time is a resource. It has value.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Way too much smoke to this fire now where we won't get the, 'Rodgers on Macafee today saying he never talked to anyone and everyone's full of &%$@' comment.

And again, that means the Packers granted other teams and Aaron permission to discuss trades.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

3 1s ain’t happening for a guy who constantly mentions retirement
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Still expecting this man to remember Mac Jones is his QB and he only has a handful of years left coaching and come storming in.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 10:57
Still expecting this man to remember Mac Jones is his QB and he only has a handful of years left coaching and come storming in.

**snip**
I hope you're right. I have a tough time believing he would normally want a guy described as "high-maintenance, low-commitment" (emphasis on the second part) running his offense, or just being part of a team built around the "Patriot Way" culture.

But I can't count out pure desperation over his current QB situation.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 10:57

I mean this is why it's important to let these things into the public. Especially considering the division rivalries, knowing the Jets are in the works will get the offers or interest smoked out from the Pats and possibly Dolphins (people keep mentioning them as QB darkhorse destinations, so we might as well mention them, too).

It's all coming together. 5 days, max.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Hopefully the Jets just make a good enough case to the Packers and Aaron there is no need to talk to NE, Miami, Carolina, LV or other.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
07 Mar 2023 10:14
Yoop wrote:
07 Mar 2023 09:24
never have figured out why Rodgers money upset you and others so much, it's as though your oblivious to the cost of top end QB's around the league.
You have on many occasions said you opposed giving Rodgers the mega-deal and slammed the org for doing it, even said that people here were wrong to applaud the deal. So I think you actually know very well why his money is an issue to a lot of people, otherwise, what was your point in being opposed to his mega-deal, as you claim to have been?
your quoting me out of context, several members applauded the 2012 extension contract he was given making him the richest NFL player, and no one seemed to bat a eye when Murphy did it again in 2018 when Rodgers still had 2 years left on his prior contract, and not many complained when he was given a 3 year deal a little over a year ago, now every ones complaining about it and blame Rodgers for being greedy, Gute and Murphy is who you should be upset with.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 10:38
Drj820 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 10:05
BF004 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 09:43

Aaron has always said he will look to redo his contract, I've predicated that too, stay, trade or retire.

We owe $40 on the cap yet, whether its all this year trade, could spread out retire, or whatever if we go. But I think it'll essentially be a new contract from scratch other than that. Perhaps previous dollars in place are used as the negotiating tactic.

But I don't think it makes any sense to to eat any significant money to just get like another 3rd. People freak out about Mercedes Lewis making $3M, but then are okay just trading $5M for a 5th round equivalency?

I think Aaron and his contract dollars are between him and his new team.

You continue to assume the current contract is no big deal, while smart people continue to point out how much of a factor it will be.

The contract was awful if Rodgers continued to be a packer, it’s firable if there was ever a thought of moving on.
Where am I assuming its no big deal? And I'm a smart person too 8-) .

I get people are talking about that, but I also don't get why they are all ignoring Aaron saying he will look to rework his contract. The Jets/and or other team and Aaron can negotiate whatever they want. If they are creating a new contract with a new team, guess I don't think it makes a lot of sense to add in a third party payer stipulation into that. And it certainly isn't like we are flush with cap room.
You’ve said all along the contract was a one year deal that everyone involved expected to rework in year 2. I’m saying that’s an assumption and assumes Rodgers would want to make things easy on GB or his new team. Rodgers may “accept” going to the Jets, but may not be totally thrilled. He may decid he wants every dollar of his current deal. Expecting the current deal to be scrapped is assuming Rodgers will play nice, that is not a given. And that’s why the money is a big deal, and many people are mentioning it as complicating the trade situation.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pckfn23 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 06:58
TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Mar 2023 04:39

I am not an expert on how the Packers can trade Rodgers and find 20 mil for Love's 5th year option now, but it might still be possible.
I am not sure why this still comes up, but they don't need to give the $20 million for Love now. They pick up the option this year and it hits the books in 2024.
The decision to pick up Love's 5th year has to be made now, not in 2024. If they pick it up and Rodgers is still a Packer in 2024 the Packers are paying Love 20+ million to be a backup.

Regardless, the Packers are still paying Rodgers in 2024, even if he is traded, right? Gary is going to be a FA in 2024, is he going to be cheap? Dillon and Runyan too. Supposing somebody is the next Nixon or Rasul Douglas. With all the restructuring that has already taken place this season, who is left to restructure to make room to resign Gary and the others or to fill a weak position with a FA.

In other words, that Rodgers contract is going to hurt the Packers for years to come, not just this offseason.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Mar 2023 11:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 06:58
TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Mar 2023 04:39

I am not an expert on how the Packers can trade Rodgers and find 20 mil for Love's 5th year option now, but it might still be possible.
I am not sure why this still comes up, but they don't need to give the $20 million for Love now. They pick up the option this year and it hits the books in 2024.
Regardless, the Packers are still paying Rodgers in 2024, even if he is traded, right?
Only if he is cut or traded after June 1st, which is not going to happen. The Packers will not be paying for Rodgers in 2024 unless he plays for the Packers in 2023.

If the Packers trade Rodgers as you suggest AND pick up Jordan Love's 5th year option this summer, Rodgers' and Love's money will not coexist in 2024.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
The decision to pick up Love's 5th year has to be made now, not in 2024. If they pick it up and Rodgers is still a Packer in 2024 the Packers are paying Love 20+ million to be a backup.
Well, yeah, if we have both on roster in 2024... Didn't think that is what we were talking about and I don't think think anyone thinks that is plausible.
TheSkeptic wrote:
Regardless, the Packers are still paying Rodgers in 2024, even if he is traded, right?
No
TheSkeptic wrote:
Gary is going to be a FA in 2024, is he going to be cheap? Dillon and Runyan too. Supposing somebody is the next Nixon or Rasul Douglas. With all the restructuring that has already taken place this season, who is left to restructure to make room to resign Gary and the others or to fill a weak position with a FA.

In other words, that Rodgers contract is going to hurt the Packers for years to come, not just this offseason.
Borrow from future years, its smart business. It's a negative interest loan. If I borrow you a dollar and say you only have to pay me back 95 cents in a year, or 45 next year and 40 in 2 years, you'd be stupid not to.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

BF004 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 11:50
Borrow from future years, its smart business. It's a negative interest loan. If I borrow you a dollar and say you only have to pay me back 95 cents in a year, or 45 next year and 40 in 2 years, you'd be stupid not to.
Hard to argue with what's said here. Could you please use real numbers regarding contracts? My understanding is that every dollar that's put off is a full dollar charged later.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Any chance of a separate AR/Jets thread?
Last edited by Ghost_Lombardi on 07 Mar 2023 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Half Empty wrote:
07 Mar 2023 11:58
BF004 wrote:
Hard to argue with what's said here. Could you please use real numbers regarding contracts? My understanding is that every dollar that's put off is a full dollar charged later.
Simply, the cap continues to go up.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Half Empty wrote:
BF004 wrote:
I guess the dollars are still real and hit the Packers bottom line dollar for dollar, but thinking about it as a percentage of cap. ~20 million was 10% of the cap this year, next year it will only be 9%, two years only 8%, rough exaggeration, but I made a post on it a while back.

viewtopic.php?p=88899#p88899

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pckfn23 wrote:
07 Mar 2023 11:59
Half Empty wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Simply, the cap continues to go up.
Agree that it is normally a negative interest loan. Unless we get another COVID and the stadiums are empty again.