Rodgers Traded

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Labrev wrote:
25 Apr 2023 09:06
I do think injury is a very real risk with Rodgers. It tends to be an issue with older players, and Rodgers has never had the kind of frame that can take too much of a beating. He has battled injuries often in his career, though he has often played through them.

Let's hope the Jets solidify that OL, and that Breece Hall can come back soon (but maybe not get fully back to form this year; we don't want the Jets to actually win 2023 games).
Yes, that OL is an issue for them. I'm sure they will address it this week.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Pugger wrote:
25 Apr 2023 09:05
Does anyone remember why Rodgers wore #12 for us? I see he is going back to #8 like he wore at Cal.
Longwell had #8 at the time he was drafted, and was an esteemed vet, so as I understand it he took the #12 he was issued. Probably would have stayed with #12 but I think switched to #8 out of deference to Joe Namath.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

In the end, the Packers fleeced the Jets for Aaron Rodgers
Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2023, 9:37 AM EDT

New York Jets v Green Bay Packers
Getty Images
Several weeks ago, we argued that the Jets should act like they’re from New York/New Jersey. Instead, they did a deal that wouldn’t have even qualified for a set of steak knives in Glengarry Glen Ross.

Sorry, Jets fans, but your favorite team got fleeced. They had leverage. They just chose not to use it.

They chose not to say to the Packers, “This guy is never playing for you again. What are you going to do, pay him $60 million to sit on the bench? We’re in no hurry. He knows the offense. He doesn’t like to participate in the offseason anyway. We can do the deal at the start of training camp. We can do it at the start of the regular season, if need be.”

That’s the inescapable message from the terms of the deal. The 2023 second-round pick was a given. The Jets didn’t want to give up a first-round pick in 2024, unless it was the payoff for a great season.

In the end, the two becomes a one next year if Rodgers takes only 65 percent of the snaps this season. That’s not even two thirds of the full campaign. It’s only 11.05 games. He can miss nearly six games, and the Jets will still owe a first-round pick in 2024.

Then there’s the kicker. The flippity-flip of first-round picks in 2023. It doesn’t look like much to go from No. 13 to No. 15. In the upper half of round one, however, that’s a lot — especially since the Jets have now assumed a spot in line behind THE PATRIOTS.

But, hey, at least the Packers are sending the Jets a 2023 fifth-round pick in exchange for a 2023 sixth-round pick. As if that balances it all out.

It doesn’t. Not even close. Rodgers was never going to play for the Packers, ever again. The Packers got a two, a future one (most likely), and an upgraded first-round pick this year — with no protection to the Jets if Rodgers retreats to a dark room with a pot of ayahuasca and decides to retire after the 2023 season.

And so the Jets may ultimately have given all of that up for barely 11 regular-season games. With no guarantee of a playoff win, or even a playoff berth. With no guarantee of a winning record, or of even a single win during the 2023 season.

Team owner Woody Johnson asked on Twitter after the news emerged, “How’s everyone feeling?”

Packers fans should be feeling great. For Jets fans, the answer is simple.

“Not too good.”

Yes, they have Rodgers. But what did they give up? And what are they getting? They gave up too much for a roll of the dice, when it comes to on-field success.

Johnson, in turn, gave up perhaps just enough for a season of extreme relevance, with maximum ticket sales and in-stadium revenue and standalone games against the Bills (twice), Dolphins (twice), Patriots (twice), Chiefs, Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants.

Financially, the Jets will win. Whether they win enough games to get to the playoffs is a question for later. For now, it’s all about not the green of the helmet but the green of the cash that will be flowing into the owner’s coffers.

And it will be not for Woody but for his football employees to deal with making chicken salad out of the draft picks they surrendered for a quarterback who will turn 40 in December.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I won't say the Jets got fleeced. I expected a 1st and 2nd for Rodgers on Week 18 and that is what this trade essentially ended up being.

The optics are weird because of Rodgers wishy on washy on length of playing and perception of the Jets being the only team for the services.

But we are also talking about a legend at the most important position. Half year rental WRs have gone for more than 3rd rounders before. I don't think a current year 2nd and next year first for a legend QB is being "fleeced"
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Florio is a ink salesman, so naturally he has to take a stand that will attract people, in that sense someone has to lose, no one would listen if someone didn't

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Madcity_matt wrote:
25 Apr 2023 09:53
Pugger wrote:
25 Apr 2023 09:05
Does anyone remember why Rodgers wore #12 for us? I see he is going back to #8 like he wore at Cal.
Longwell had #8 at the time he was drafted, and was an esteemed vet, so as I understand it he took the #12 he was issued. Probably would have stayed with #12 but I think switched to #8 out of deference to Joe Namath.
Oh, I forgot Longwell was still around back then. I think him deferring to Namath is a nice move.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Selah and lefluer are good buddies. I think both teams wanted to avoid absolute hardball and hurt feelings. They both seemed to want to work to something fair, and when that was achieved, the deal went through.

Sure, both teams had room to dig in, but in the end, both teams got enough to please their fan bases
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I don't think it's a bad deal for NY even by my very low opinion of Rodgers in his present state. He's not good enough to take GB to the playoffs, but he should be good enough to get NYJ there. I mean, they beat us last year with *worse* QB play. He just really needs to cut the Hero Ball crap and embrace the Game Manager role, though that's been a real challenge for him.

And again, teams like NYJ operate in a very different reality than GB. Jets immediately win by virtue of the hope and excitement this will create for their otherwise woe-be-gone franchise, not to mention sales of tickets, jerseys, etc.
Last edited by Labrev on 25 Apr 2023 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

The thing that amazes me is that it seemed like the Jets really did have the leverage if they had just waited.

Which other team was going to take on that contract? No one else had apparently expressed interest and Rodgers had already announced he wanted to go to the Jets. The Packers clearly had moved on and would have been in a bind heading to Week 1 of the season and being on the hook for that option bonus.

I'm just relieved the Jets blinked and paid a fair price. Good job Gute on sticking to his guns.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The Jets absolutely had all the leverage. And I mean ALL. I always get this was what we would get because the Jets are an incompetent franchise but they did us a massive favor taking that contract off the books before June 1.

If I was a GM of another team I would have made the Packers give me picks for taking in that absolutely atrocious contract.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2023 10:35
I won't say the Jets got fleeced. I expected a 1st and 2nd for Rodgers on Week 18 and that is what this trade essentially ended up being.

The optics are weird because of Rodgers wishy on washy on length of playing and perception of the Jets being the only team for the services.

But we are also talking about a legend at the most important position. Half year rental WRs have gone for more than 3rd rounders before. I don't think a current year 2nd and next year first for a legend QB is being "fleeced"
I think this is right; it's a very fair deal if you accurately gauged the realities of each side's negotiating stance.

It is WILD to me to see lupe and Florio and others say out loud that the Jets had all the leverage but didn't "use" it.

The outcome agrees with exactly what "Packers have leverage" people expected to get. This is how much leverage they had. The proof is in the pudding. They had about a 1st and a 2nds worth of leverage and that's why it's been the most consistent prediction all along.

To sum up my view of leverage: it is much easier to find a team to take a Hall of Fame QB off your hands than it is to find a different Hall of Fame QB to go sign in May. That will always be true. If the Jets waited, the Packers would have found a team willing to take on Rodgers. It is certain. That's why the Jets didn't wait. The Packers could manufacture a plan B a lot more easily than the Jets could.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Jets lost their leverage when they openly declared their hate for Zach Wilson and pretty much said they were all in on rodgers and no one else.

If they had pretended they didnt mind going back to wilson for a year, and revisiting the FA market or draft in '24, than they def had leverage.

But they soiled themselves and declared Rodgers option 1A, B, C, D etc.

This meant they had to pay what we were selling for.

The ultimate heist would have been to get 13 and not give up 15..but like i said, beggers cant be choosers

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Apr 2023 11:42
The Jets absolutely had all the leverage. And I mean ALL. I always get this was what we would get because the Jets are an incompetent franchise but they did us a massive favor taking that contract off the books before June 1.

If I was a GM of another team I would have made the Packers give me picks for taking in that absolutely atrocious contract.
Well...no not really. They didn't have the player and in these types of scenarios, the team with the player the other team wants has the leverage.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I do think Lamar Jackson was the way smarter play, probably more costly, but worth it. Yet the teams care more about making some statement (even where the player in question one of the game's biggest stars) and their bottom-line than winning games and producing a quality product.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Lamar Jackson has shown he will not sign for less than a guaranteed deal. Lamar is not worth a long term guaranteed deal. Primarily because he cant finish a season healthy.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Apr 2023 11:51
Jets lost their leverage when they openly declared their hate for Zach Wilson and pretty much said they were all in on rodgers and no one else.

If they had pretended they didnt mind going back to wilson for a year, and revisiting the FA market or draft in '24, than they def had leverage.

But they soiled themselves and declared Rodgers option 1A, B, C, D etc.

This meant they had to pay what we were selling for.

The ultimate heist would have been to get 13 and not give up 15..but like i said, beggers cant be choosers
Yeah, I think the threat of if this wasn't done by the draft, it wouldn't happen until earliest June 1st, and would likely be a good deal past that, played a large factor for this deadline. Could completely screw with the Jets offseason plans and be a huge drama distraction heading into TC for the Jets (Packers obviously too), but obviously not good for the Jets either.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Besides the draft cap and huge guaranteed contract, I don't think Lamar is someone you can just plug and play. You have to build an offense around his strengths, not put him into a Shanahan style offense and ask him to be an accurate pocket passer.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Lamar was not a realistic option for a number of reasons

1) As people mentioned, the contract

2) as Madcity mentioned, he requires a redesign

3) Most importantly, the Ravens still want him. If you find a contract he will sign, they can match it. You’d have to go SO far down the line of pursuing him before you know if you can keep him.

If the Ravens were looking to move on, and were shipping him, I bet the jets would have been in. As it was, no tan is going to touch him. Which is what has happened.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Apr 2023 23:09
Honestly the thing I am most excited about right now is that the 2023 Packers draft will not be overshadowed by Rodgers/Packers drama!!
Yes! I am also excited to see if we can now sign a couple of FAs after the draft, once 12’s salary clears the cap (transfers to the Jets).
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!