Successful Season

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Successful Season

Post by BF004 »

Say we either don’t win the Super Bowl or the season is eventually cancelled.

What would you determine a successful season?

For me it would be to finally see some dividends for all this investment on D.

Short of ILB, we are really loaded with talent. Seems like we have a very solid mix of unrealized potential and reliable veteran experience.

Would love to see this D be top 5 in scoring and yards, no more excuses. Although short of the season being cancelled, can’t imagine Aaron not winning it all with a top 5 D. Let him play super above average game manager, don’t lose a game, lean on Aaron Jones and the RBs, with a D that good, can’t imagine him not keeping up the O end of the bargain.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

5 Years ago I'd have agreed that Aaron and a top 5 D would seal us a title. For the past 3 seasons AR has been unrecognizable. A pedestrian QB basically. It's a prove it season for him IMO.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I think this would be better in Cheesehead Chatter or even the main forum.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

wallyuwl wrote:
07 Aug 2020 17:54
Was wondering that myself.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I've said it a number of times, Packer fans are spoiled. With that being said though, I really don't have any expectations this year - likely just because how everything currently is unknown (NFL season standpoint). We haven't had the opportunity to see camps or preseason to help our predictions either.

If I pretended this was like any other season, and we were going the full 17 weeks, I would hope this defense finally was able to show me something. And it still can happen, but the expectation would be Gary making a huge jump from a production standpoint. Josh Jackson, just to save face, would pan out in a safety role. For the offense, total unknown for me right now. Obviously we are looking to be more of a run first type of team now, so I'd expect Rodgers numbers to dip. Not elite, but definitely respectable play.

Not as many W's in the win column this year.

Very real possibility of people calling for Gute's head at the end of the season, if some of these draft picks don't start to show something.

So, yeah, good defense - with a inconsistent offense. Playoffs a possibility, but not sure enough to get over the hump.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

wallyuwl wrote:
07 Aug 2020 17:54
Agreed.

Moved to JustJeff's football talk forum.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
07 Aug 2020 16:57
Say we either don’t win the Super Bowl or the season is eventually cancelled.

What would you determine a successful season?

For me it would be to finally see some dividends for all this investment on D.

Short of ILB, we are really loaded with talent. Seems like we have a very solid mix of unrealized potential and reliable veteran experience.

Would love to see this D be top 5 in scoring and yards, no more excuses. Although short of the season being cancelled, can’t imagine Aaron not winning it all with a top 5 D. Let him play super above average game manager, don’t lose a game, lean on Aaron Jones and the RBs, with a D that good, can’t imagine him not keeping up the O end of the bargain.
I agree with all of this. But I also expect to be disappointed on this front. I have been disappointed on this front outside of essentially 1 year my entire Packer fandom.

But to pivot off this, I really want to see the creative Packers offense to start taking form. I want to see production and efficiency out of the positions we have not been used to seeing and what I mean is RB1, RB2, H Back and Tight End.

I want to see 2 back sets. I want to see bunched formations with our WRs. I want to see more RB wheel routes. We saw it in bits last year. I still say that the first quarter of week 2 was some of if not the best offensive designing I have ever seen from an offensive coach in Green Bay (MM also was genius in 2007 - 2011 and 2012). I will also put the offensive design at Dallas and Kansas City was also superb.

I want that.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Playoffs

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Sweep the division. Show we belong in the playoffs.

I'll definitely go with a D that can keep a top O under 20 when it really counts. I want to see AR with an accurate deep ball but taking what they give until they get frustrated and then launch down range. Make threats out of somebody other than Davante or Mr. Jones. For that AR has to give the kids some targets.

Go Pack Go! :lombardi:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean I know we as Packers fans are super spoiled yadda, yadda, yadda.

We also have nearly 30 years of amazing QB play and only 2 rings to show for it. We have more heartbreaking playoff losses than any team during my lifetime by a very long stretch.

Not gonna lie. If we "make the playoffs" or end up being a top 8 or even top 4 team...there will be a level of disappointment with me.

We have 2 maaaaybe 3 more years of Rodgers and this "win now" window. I really want another ring for Rodgers. I know it is very unlikely it will happen. But doesn't mean I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

2014 I do believe will be the season that always got away in the Rodgers era. Just like 2007 and 1997 was the season that got away in the Favre era.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Youre either first or last. Anything less than a Super Bowl isnt good enough. We just finished in the NFC championship game. The next step is the Super Bowl.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
08 Aug 2020 12:50
We also have nearly 30 years of amazing QB play and only 2 rings to show for it. We have more heartbreaking playoff losses than any team during my lifetime by a very long stretch.
The Saints have 15 years of Brees, 1 ring
The Colts had 15 years of Manning and 5 years of Luck, 1 ring
The Seahawks have had a decade with Wilson, 1 ring
The Dolphins had 20 years of Marino, 0 rings
The Broncos had 15 years with Elway before winning a ring, then won 2.
The Chargers had 15 years with Rivers, 0 rings.

Meanwhile, the Giants had 15 years of totally uneven play by Eli and got 2 rings.
The Eagles got a ring in a year when Wentz and Foles were in and out of the lineup
The Ravens got 2 rings in a 20-year period with Flacco and Dilfer and tons of bad QB play in between.

What's my point? My point is that there is no expected correlation between having great QB play and winning Super Bowl rings; wipe that from your mind and you will be much happier. We have only one dynasty in the current era of the NFL and it's an absurd one. Maybe that means Brady broke the metric, but maybe it means that it's a complete team sport and the team who has most-successfully gotten modern athletes to buy into a rigid, no-fun way of doing things (based on several player comments) where individual personalities are actively suppressed to put the team first has been able to win over and over again.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

My issue here is not only that Packers fans feel entitled to championships because we have good QBs--and do so in a way entirely divorced from non-Patriots reality...

..it's that we don't even care if/when we're successful; we seem to care HOW we're successful. In the 15-1 season, the fans weren't happy because the defense wasn't good enough. In the 13-3 season lats year, we weren't winning convincingly enough. During the (at the time) league-leading 8-straight playoff seasons, we weren't winning enough of the playoff games. During the current offseason, we're not building the weapons the way the 15-1 team was built. When we draft for defense, we should get Rodgers some help. When we draft for offense, we should draft different offense to get Rodgers some help. When we draft for need, we're reaching and not getting the team good enough players. When we draft off our board, we're not filling needs.

And now, in the General News thread, and in this thread, we have people seemingly ready to write off the season as unlikely to be viewed successfully before it even starts.

Just stop. Let yourselves enjoy something.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I am not one of those fans who say, "Any season we don't win the SuperBowl is a failure!"

But I do subscribe to the 'window-of-opportunity' idea that some teams are in prime position to take it (barring extraordinary circumstances).

We had a new coach last year, so I don't think it would have been reasonable to expect a SuperBowl. This year? I would say our window has just opened (though I am skeptical that we made the improvements during offseason necessary to go the distance, but we'll see).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

If the Packers can duplicate what they did in 2019, then I think we can all call it another successful season.

First win the North. Get 1 or 2 playoff games at Lambeau Field. Make it to the NFC Championship Game again .......... that will be a successful season. :woohoo:

Making it to the NFC Championship Game would be like adding sauerkraut and pepper to the gravy soaked dumplings, dressing and turkey on Thanksgiving Day. Followed by whipped cream on the homemade pumpkin pie.

Winning the NFC Championship Game (thus exceeding last season) would be better than adding whipped cream to a hot eggnog latte the morning of the NFC Championship game.

Playing the NFC Championship Game at Lambeau would be like adding whipped cream to the aforementioned hot eggnog latte -AND- a hot maple syrup soaked Belgium waffle at a Green Bay restaurant the morning of the championship game.

:argue:

GO PACK GO!!
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 10 Aug 2020 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I think for the NFL a successful season is getting through half the season before shutting it down, and losing less than 15% viewership compared to 2019. For the Packers, who knows. With a normal season I would say getting back to NFCCG would be successful. The record will fall but the team should be better... again in normal circumstances.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Aug 2020 13:56
go pak go wrote:
08 Aug 2020 12:50
The Saints have 15 years of Brees, 1 ring
The Colts had 15 years of Manning and 5 years of Luck, 1 ring
The Seahawks have had a decade with Wilson, 1 ring
The Dolphins had 20 years of Marino, 0 rings
The Broncos had 15 years with Elway before winning a ring, then won 2.
The Chargers had 15 years with Rivers, 0 rings.

Meanwhile, the Giants had 15 years of totally uneven play by Eli and got 2 rings.
The Eagles got a ring in a year when Wentz and Foles were in and out of the lineup
The Ravens got 2 rings in a 20-year period with Flacco and Dilfer and tons of bad QB play in between.

What's my point? My point is that there is no expected correlation between having great QB play and winning Super Bowl rings; wipe that from your mind and you will be much happier. We have only one dynasty in the current era of the NFL and it's an absurd one. Maybe that means Brady broke the metric, but maybe it means that it's a complete team sport and the team who has most-successfully gotten modern athletes to buy into a rigid, no-fun way of doing things (based on several player comments) where individual personalities are actively suppressed to put the team first has been able to win over and over again.
I'am so fed up with people blaming Rodgers, just like I was fed up when people blamed Favre (less though when considering his last second interceptions) these two players have often carried the teams to get to the playoffs, problem is once there the supporting cast continued to rely on these two to win, and the playoffs are not a one man show

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
10 Aug 2020 06:46
I'am so fed up with people blaming Rodgers, just like I was fed up when people blamed Favre (less though when considering his last second interceptions) these two players have often carried the teams to get to the playoffs, problem is once there the supporting cast continued to rely on these two to win, and the playoffs are not a one man show
I have to say, I think you may have misunderstood my post, or I may be misunderstanding yours.

I think the people who imply that we "wasted" Rodgers or that we should have won more SBs with Rodgers agree with you--that it is the supporting cast and mismanagement of that roster that have held us back from winning more.

I was placing blame on no one--simply pointing out that having a generation of top-notch QB play does not necessarily correlate with winning multiple rings, and the expectation of such is holding people back from enjoying good seasons

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Aug 2020 07:42
Yoop wrote:
10 Aug 2020 06:46
I have to say, I think you may have misunderstood my post, or I may be misunderstanding yours.

I think the people who imply that we "wasted" Rodgers or that we should have won more SBs with Rodgers agree with you--that it is the supporting cast and mismanagement of that roster that have held us back from winning more.

I was placing blame on no one--simply pointing out that having a generation of top-notch QB play does not necessarily correlate with winning multiple rings, and the expectation of such is holding people back from enjoying good seasons
Ya I sort of went off on one of my " quit blaming the driver, it's a car problem" rants there.

I think just like with the race car driver, he alone only puts you in contention to win, and thats really been our problem, we just have not kept the car performing as well as we should have :lol:

I hear ya, we put joy for the game in suspension when all we think about is the win column or SB trophy's, sure all that stuff is important, but it's not the reason Lambeau had capacity crowds in the 70's and 80's :aok:

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Since I don't expect much of a season, I feel like things are going to roll downhill much worse than Baseball (those guys stand way apart out on the field...)

Just beat the Bears. Beat the crap out of them.

That is all. Successful season.