Rd 5: Dontayvion Wicks - WR

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

image.png
image.png (11.39 KiB) Viewed 866 times
Also 4.52 4.55 in the 40 according to https://dailyprogress.com/sports/anthon ... bc496.html

Might want to actually look into it before you "lol."
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Apr 2023 14:45
YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2023 14:43
I’m not anti Wicks. He’s just meh to me.

He’s slow on tape. He a role player. He’ll be fine.
Davante comparison?
No. James Jones comparison.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2023 15:16
Pckfn23 wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2023 14:43
I’m not anti Wicks. He’s just meh to me.

He’s slow on tape. He a role player. He’ll be fine.
Davante comparison?
All 3 fairly comparable:
image.png
image.png (15.34 KiB) Viewed 849 times
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Apr 2023 15:20
YoHoChecko wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Davante comparison?
All 3 fairly comparable:
image.png
On paper, I think you had it right the first time.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
29 Apr 2023 15:26
Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Apr 2023 15:20
YoHoChecko wrote:

All 3 fairly comparable:
image.png
On paper, I think you had it right the first time.
Ya, definitely on paper, the measurables.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Play style reminds me of Jones.

Durant look fast. Doesn’t shake. Long arms. Contested catches. Limited consistent separation ability but he can get open with some savvy on occasion.

I love James Jones. But a James Jones style player who doesn’t reach their max potential is typically just a guy.

This is a safe pick which is fine. Not an upside pick.

In a draft full of upside, it’s a decent choice.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I love this pick and this value, big swing, but a ton to work with.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Green Bay took Jones in the 3rd and pretty much everyone would agree it was a good pick. If Wicks becomes anything close to the player Jones became this is a serious steal.

Even if a JAG; Green Bay consistently has that guy and needs that guy, the chain movers.

Thing with Jones is that he was a crazy good catcher. That's what made his game work, he could go get it.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wicks' measurables are weird.

One of the nice things about Dane Brugler's Beast Guide is that it lists combine and Pro Day numbers separately, which is useful in instances where, say, someone gains or loses a lot of weight...

But Wicks is one of the few guys whose height was measured differently at the combine and Pro Day, and not just an 8th off, but 3/8ths. Arms can often be measured differently and yield different results, but Wicks' Pro Day arms were a full 5/8ths longer, though his wingspan was within 1/8th.

But even more confusingly, Wicks ran at the combine and Pro Day. His combine score was slower, and that happens a bunch, though he specifically was dealing with an injury--a hip flexor injury--that has been used to explain the variation. But the variation was somewhat small--a fairly normal combine/pro day variation: 4.62 to 4.57

But within those runs, the faster 40-time had a slower 10-yard time, 1.55 to 1.63; while the two runs had identical 20pyard times, meaning the slower time had a slower flying-20, which makes sense with the injury explanation, but that means the first twenty yards were run with very different acceleration.

Anyway, I'm not making much out of this so much as pointing out some fairly arbitrary nature of some of these numbers. And pointing out that I bet we list Wicks at 6'2" rather than 6'1"
image.png
image.png (24.2 KiB) Viewed 743 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I respect Ross Uglem's evals and this makes me feel super validated

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Feast your eyes on this puff piece about Wicks:
https://www.packers.com/news/rookie-rec ... en-bay-way
Unlike the interest from Virginia that came seemingly out of the blue, Wicks had a feeling the Packers might draft him. He visited Green Bay during the pre-draft process and came away in good spirits about his conversations with Head Coach Matt LaFleur and receivers coach/passing game coordinator Jason Vrable.

Impressed with Wicks' smarts when he was drawing Virginia's routes and plays, Vrable had good vibes from the visit as well.

"You can really feel the character and the passion of a person when they're here, and his love for the game," Vrable said. "He just knew the system inside and out, could communicate.

"He carries himself with a very professional demeanor. I think he's a true pro right away. I haven't had to talk to him about how to study or go about it because he already had that mentality about him. When he left, I think everybody in our building was like, 'Yep, I think that guy fits the Green Bay way of what we want.'"

"As far as learning from those guys, I know they want to help," Wicks said. "Christian and Romeo, they all hit us up after we got drafted, welcoming us into the Green Bay Packers and into the locker room."

The shortened version of Wicks' first name, Tay, might be strange for the coaches and other veteran players to hear in the locker room again. But none of the 10 receivers on the Packers' roster played with Davante Adams, so there's no reason for Wicks to feel self-conscious about the moniker.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
31 May 2023 10:32
Feast your eyes on this puff piece about Wicks:
https://www.packers.com/news/rookie-rec ... en-bay-way
lBut none of the 10 receivers on the Packers' roster played with Davante Adams,
Damn, had to read that part twice.

Not even like an udrfa practice squad holdover. That is nuts.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

anyone that thinks Toure is going to keep Wicks on the bench is dreaming :rotf:

he was a top 50 to 60 pick 2 years ago according to many scouts, last year he declined mostly I think because his team made drastic changes and he didn't fit in as well to the new schemes, Wicks is exactly the type of receiver a young QB can count on to be open when plays break down.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
31 May 2023 14:05
anyone that thinks Toure is going to keep Wicks on the bench is dreaming :rotf:

he was a top 50 to 60 pick 2 years ago according to many scouts, last year he declined mostly I think because his team made drastic changes and he didn't fit in as well to the new schemes, Wicks is exactly the type of receiver a young QB can count on to be open when plays break down.
My concern with Wicks is how quickly he will pick up a new, complicated NFL offense. The new offense at UVA seemed to make everyone else's performance suffer, so maybe it's just bad coaching. But a LOT has been said and written about how he struggled making mid-route adjustments or reading defenses rather than just run a route as called. And we have experience on this team with a similarly-sized, productive major conference player in J'Mon Moore whose apparent struggles were in learning and mastering the new NFL playbook.

That is all speculative. I can't possibly know how that will turn out. But when you have the speed limitations and rumors of struggling to learn new or more complex offenses, I think he might be a slower development than many expect.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
anyone that thinks Toure is going to keep Wicks on the bench is dreaming
...I guess I'm dreaming.

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

NCF wrote:
31 May 2023 14:34
Yoop wrote:
...I guess I'm dreaming.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Acrobat wrote:
31 May 2023 14:36
NCF wrote:
31 May 2023 14:34
Yoop wrote:
...I guess I'm dreaming.

image.png
image.png (83.13 KiB) Viewed 621 times

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Seems foolish to me to be adamant one way or the other. An incumbent 7th rounder vs a rookie 5th rounder. Bout as even as a matchup as you can get for a theoretical bout.

Both clearly have their faults. But Toure will come in ahead. He had to hold that 4th spot, not just from Wicks, but the rest and the TE’s. Wicks had a taller mountain to climb, imo. He has to either pretty much clearly pass Toure (given how this FO plays rookies) or have Toure flop and hold off the rest.

However this is a thread for Wicks, not carryover pet topics here. Love him from all reports on the person he is, attitude, passion, locker room, etc. Really hope he can put it together. He’ll be one of the guys I’ll be watching closest in camp.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
31 May 2023 15:34
Seems foolish to me to be adamant one way or the other. An incumbent 7th rounder vs a rookie 5th rounder. Bout as even as a matchup as you can get for a theoretical bout.

Both clearly have their faults. But Toure will come in ahead. He had to hold that 4th spot, not just from Wicks, but the rest and the TE’s. Wicks had a taller mountain to climb, imo. He has to either pretty much clearly pass Toure (given how this FO plays rookies) or have Toure flop and hold off the rest.

However this is a thread for Wicks, not carryover pet topics here. Love him from all reports on the person he is, attitude, passion, locker room, etc. Really hope he can put it together. He’ll be one of the guys I’ll be watching closest in camp.
I've never seen this forum so hyped up over a 7th round WR pick ever, and not just a 7th rounder, Toure is the last receiver drafted in that class, basically Toure is a UDFA if we don't draft him, and if our receiver situation last season was better stocked Toure wouldn't have even dressed on game days, why would I not think a 5th rounder will eventually take snaps from Toure, specially a guy like Wicks who most think is a clone of James Jones, and the coaches are already very excited about :idn: