Packers extend Kenny Clark - 4 years $70 million

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
15 Aug 2020 11:44
go pak go wrote:
15 Aug 2020 10:58
Very happy for Kenny. Sounds like a fair deal for both.

Chris Jones got $85 for 4 years. Overall very happy. But we do have some spendy players on our defensive front 7 now.
Definitely and honestly I think Pettine's seat is getting warm. He's gotta do something with these guys and improving our run defense. Not a lot of excuses.

He and gutey really need to find some cheap run stuffers at the other DE positions, bc that And ILB play is really neutering the effects of the stud OLB and NT. If teams can double Kenny all day, and the ends don’t punish them for that...that’s a bad deal. I still think we can improve from Adams and Lowry without putting much capital into the position. Simple upgrades would seem to make the money spent on the studs better spent.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
15 Aug 2020 13:00
TheGreenMan wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Chris Jones got $85 for 4 years. Overall very happy. But we do have some spendy players on our defensive front 7 now.
Definitely and honestly I think Pettine's seat is getting warm. He's gotta do something with these guys and improving our run defense. Not a lot of excuses.

He and gutey really need to find some cheap run stuffers at the other DE positions, bc that And ILB play is really neutering the effects of the stud OLB and NT. If teams can double Kenny all day, and the ends don’t punish them for that...that’s a bad deal. I still think we can improve from Adams and Lowry without putting much capital into the position. Simple upgrades would seem to make the money spent on the studs better spent.
My biggest hope for the 1st round the last two years has been DT for a reason. I want another stud by Clark so bad. Of course that comes at an opportunity cost. But man having another by Kenny would make this defense so good.

I was really hoping last year that Adams would be that guy. I don't think that's going to happen. So the hope now is Keke becomes that guy.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
go pak go wrote:

It also does sound like we did indeed make a run at Snack Harrison and he turned us down which honestly really surprises me.

I thought he'd be a perfect match for us in GB of what we want him to do.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Drj820 wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
go pak go wrote:

We certainly need some better depth behind Clark. I honestly feel like ILB is a problem every other year, if not every year.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheGreenMan wrote:
15 Aug 2020 16:12
Drj820 wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:

We certainly need some better depth behind Clark. I honestly feel like ILB is a problem every other year, if not every year.
Christian Kirksey and Kamal Martin will shore that spot up for years to come.
Yoop wrote:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

If Kirksey can stay on the field.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Last season, per Pro Football Focus, only Aaron Donald and Calais Campbell had more total pressures among players listed as interior defensive linemen than Clark with 69. As Campbell played end a lot of the time, and Donald is from another planet from a talent perspective, that puts Clark in rarefied air. Clark also had more stops than any other interior defensive lineman with 45. As effective as the pass-rushing tandem of Za’Darius Smith and Preston Smith was last season, that duo would not have been able to wreak as much havoc without Clark beating people up from center to guard.

69 cumulative's from a 2 gaping DT, what the hell you say :rotf:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheGreenMan wrote:
15 Aug 2020 16:12
Drj820 wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:

No it’s been every year. Every single year. This team hasn’t fielded two competent linebackers since switching to the 3-4 and even prior to that I don’t think they had fielded two competent linebackers since Barnett and Hawk in the 4-3.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Aug 2020 10:32
No it’s been every year. Every single year. This team hasn’t fielded two competent linebackers since switching to the 3-4 and even prior to that I don’t think they had fielded two competent linebackers since Barnett and Hawk in the 4-3.
Barnett, Hawk, and Chillar were the first incarnation under Capers in the 3-4 and that was a pretty good unit. The D was definitely hurt in 2010 when Chillar and Barnett went down, but thankfully they found a hidden gem in Desmond Bishop (Mr. August).

Once Hawk's skills eroded and Bishop got hurt, it was pretty much downhill from there. Barrington, Jamari Lattimore, Jake Ryan, Blake Martinez... all just not good enough. It will be interesting to see how that group performs this year as I think they are more talented than they have been in AT LEAST 5 years.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Our run stopping only NT is one of the best in football!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Congratulations, Kenny Clark. Only 24 years old.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Aug 2020 13:21

Our run stopping only NT is one of the best in football!
Where do those pressure and hurries stats come from? assume pff

No issues with Clark - I will just assume its a good market contract and we get the benefit of spreading it over 1 more year.

He will hopefully keep getting better and from early camp reports it is looking that way. It would be nice to add someone else to the team to give him some relief as he seemed to burn out near end of year last year. Hard to blame the guy if he has to carry the interior all year.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly, I feel pretty good about this.

My proposed extension for Clark:
image.png
image.png (7.51 KiB) Viewed 344 times
His actual extension:
image.png
image.png (60.67 KiB) Viewed 344 times
My version has, in essence a dummy/option year at the end where it'd be easy to release or extend if the cap isn't high enough; and overall is for more money/year. But generally, the structure of keeping 2020 at the current value and making 21 cheap AF followed by a jump and then consistent growth is spot on

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah that is pretty nice. Definitely gives us a lot of flexibility for 2021 and we really could get an out in 2024 if we feel we need to. So this does seem to be a good deal for us. We would only need to suffer through a horrible "over pay" if something goes against plans for really one....maybe two years.

But he will be still so young after the end of this deal.

But lordy....we get some expensive boys on the ole payroll come 2022 and 2023. :shock:
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
25 Aug 2020 09:30
Yeah that is pretty nice. Definitely gives us a lot of flexibility for 2021.
Yeah. I mean, I expect all the big contracts to look a lot like this around the league.

2021 will be a crunch, but as I've said, the cap will skyrocket in 2022 when the big new TV deal gets done. I'd bet on a 30% increase if not smoothed out over additional years. Teams are planning for getting through a tough year and then having very little in the way of fiscal limitations for a year or two before the growth returns to a normal year-to-year growth.

This is how the new tv deal years always look--a huge jump, then something like 6-8% annual growth thereafter. And there is no sign at all that this upcoming deal will be any different. Only fear and speculation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Here's my guess as to future salary cap growths.
image.png
image.png (10.66 KiB) Viewed 329 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

According to OvertheCap, in 2022, including the new Kenny Clark deal, the Packers have $165 million committed to 34 players.

The current cap is $198 million. It will not be below that in 2022. So we have enough space to fill out a roster while keeping Clark, Z, Preston, and Rodgers. Two-three more big numbers will be in there for Davante Adams and David Bakhtiari and Jaire. Depending on growth, it could get TIGHT, but there is no reason to read into the numbers and start saying we can't afford to keep our guys anymore. Already seeing a ton of "well, this is proof that Rodgers is gone" takes. Hogwash. Might it happen? Yeah. Is it necessary? Nopers.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Aug 2020 10:03
According to OvertheCap, in 2022, including the new Kenny Clark deal, the Packers have $165 million committed to 34 players.

The current cap is $198 million. It will not be below that in 2022. So we have enough space to fill out a roster while keeping Clark, Z, Preston, and Rodgers. Two-three more big numbers will be in there for Davante Adams and David Bakhtiari and Jaire. Depending on growth, it could get TIGHT, but there is no reason to read into the numbers and start saying we can't afford to keep our guys anymore. Already seeing a ton of "well, this is proof that Rodgers is gone" takes. Hogwash. Might it happen? Yeah. Is it necessary? Nopers.
I just really like Kevin King. And I know he is gone and it rips my Packer soul.

And it will rip everyone's soul when they see just how good he is this year.
Yoop wrote: