Video Game Thread

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

Revisiting the Halo series with their re-issue on PC. Looking forward to Halo Infinite.

Other favorites:
Half Life series
Far Cry series
F.E.A.R.
Crysis

all PC

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I was a big time Homeworld player back in the day.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

mnkcarp wrote:
15 Aug 2020 07:27
Revisiting the Halo series with their re-issue on PC. Looking forward to Halo Infinite.

Other favorites:
Half Life series
Far Cry series
F.E.A.R.
Crysis

all PC
I did love the Halo series.

Never got an XBox One, so my halo day pretty much ended at Halo 4, but I'd love to finish the story out one day.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The new madden is coming out. I used to play tournaments and a highly competitive online league for money but as I’ve gotten older I’ve given those up for just casually playing.

Right now the only thing I play is Overwatch. Once COVID is over the Air Force is starting intramural eSports teams. I feel like I got a good shot at making the base team. They’re also doing a bunch of other popular games but it’s cool to see them trying to raise morale.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Most of my gaming is mobile, I play Asphalt 9 and Dr. Mario now. Used to be a big Pokemon Go player.

Play Civilization 6 on my computer.

Sometimes I turn on the old NES for some Mario 3 or RC Pro Am.

I have 3 boys so I play with them occasionally on the Switch.

Building a MAME arcade has been on my to do list for a long time and I'm getting semiserious about it, tho there are a few higher priority projects at the moment. I'm far enough to have an amazon list for the electronics, a design, and a 4:3 monitor.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Waldo wrote:
16 Aug 2020 13:11

For anyone nostalgic to Mario, Mario Odyssey on the switch fantastic. Got that for our kids for Xmas, very cool game.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Waldo wrote:
Most of my gaming is mobile, I play Asphalt 9 and Dr. Mario now. Used to be a big Pokemon Go player.

Building a MAME arcade has been on my to do list for a long time and I'm getting semiserious about it, tho there are a few higher priority projects at the moment. I'm far enough to have an amazon list for the electronics, a design, and a 4:3 monitor.
Civilization 6 is my go-to relaxation game. I love single-player, turn-based strategy, because there's a natural break on every turn, I can go cook or do something else if I need to, and return right back to it. No stress, except to my brains.

Otherwise, I no longer categorize gaming as much as I used to. If it's Windows Solitaire, it's a game. If it's on my cell phone, it can be a game. If it's a PC game that shames Hollywood in story-telling and fun, so be it.

Usually I recommend Finnish things. But:

DO NOT PLAY FINNISH MOBILE GAMES!!!! Like Clash of Clans, newer Angry Birds stuff etc. Finns perfected the monetization of mobile games early, and nowadays those games are huge money Hoovers set on full suck. Great games, addictive AF, but you'll eventually pay...

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

If anyone is into Dark Souls-type games, Mortal Shell just came out. It’s supposed to be the best non-From Software game yet. After I finish Nioh 2’s new DLC, I’ll be picking it up.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

salmar80 wrote:
16 Aug 2020 17:11
Waldo wrote:

Civilization 6 is my go-to relaxation game. I love single-player, turn-based strategy, because there's a natural break on every turn, I can go cook or do something else if I need to, and return right back to it. No stress, except to my brains.

Otherwise, I no longer categorize gaming as much as I used to. If it's Windows Solitaire, it's a game. If it's on my cell phone, it can be a game. If it's a PC game that shames Hollywood in story-telling and fun, so be it.

Usually I recommend Finnish things. But:

DO NOT PLAY FINNISH MOBILE GAMES!!!! Like Clash of Clans, newer Angry Birds stuff etc. Finns perfected the monetization of mobile games early, and nowadays those games are huge money Hoovers set on full suck. Great games, addictive AF, but you'll eventually pay...
I used to be really big into the Simpsons Untapped. I don't think I've ever seen a mobile game get so many events, updates. It was nuts.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

'Not a big gamer. I did get into TF2 a few years back and was into the two bigger BioWare franchises until EA ruined their studio. But I have September 17th circled on my calendar for Cyberpunk 2077, hopefully it can provide the experience I used to enjoy from BW. Who knows, we'll see...
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

For anyone who was into TF2 they should give Overwatch a try. Same concept but better and a ton of more options to play in terms of characters. It is a super toxic community but it’s a fun game when played properly.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Labrev wrote:
19 Aug 2020 17:53
'Not a big gamer. I did get into TF2 a few years back and was into the two bigger BioWare franchises until EA ruined their studio. But I have September 17th circled on my calendar for Cyberpunk 2077, hopefully it can provide the experience I used to enjoy from BW. Who knows, we'll see...
I hope you meant November 19 for Cyberpunk.. that’s when it comes out. It’s going to be AMAZING!

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Aug 2020 08:03
For anyone who was into TF2 they should give Overwatch a try. Same concept but better and a ton of more options to play in terms of characters. It is a super toxic community but it’s a fun game when played properly.
I've tried it, definitely fun, but yeah... very toxic. I like TF2 better - just because it's nostalgic, not too mention I'm much better at it.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I cant buy it today but i am very excited about the PGA Tour 2k21 that released today. I love golf and most golf games have sucked since the early TW games. You would either get to have fun designing courses and playing them online, and no tour courses or players. Or you could get a few tour players and courses, with limited customization.

This new game has a handful of big name tour guys on the season mode of the game, 15 tour courses and all the full online course designing features. It has a full career mode, and you can even do a full online fed ex cup season. I think thats sick to be in tournaments against real people for game clout.

Game is supposed to be very deep. Im excited about it.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Aug 2020 17:08
I cant buy it today but i am very excited about the PGA Tour 2k21 that released today. I love golf and most golf games have sucked since the early TW games. You would either get to have fun designing courses and playing them online, and no tour courses or players. Or you could get a few tour players and courses, with limited customization.

This new game has a handful of big name tour guys on the season mode of the game, 15 tour courses and all the full online course designing features. It has a full career mode, and you can even do a full online fed ex cup season. I think thats sick to be in tournaments against real people for game clout.

Game is supposed to be very deep. Im excited about it.
This actually has been on my radar.
RIP JustJeff

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Microsoft just bought Bethesda - I’m gonna have to get a new Xbox Series X in a few years now, damn.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Gunzaan wrote:
21 Sep 2020 12:06
Microsoft just bought Bethesda - I’m gonna have to get a new Xbox Series X in a few years now, damn.
I'll be looking forward to ESO turning to &%$@ too.
RIP JustJeff

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

Finally broke down and bought the new Microsoft Flight Simulator, is absolutely amazing. Whatever scant time I have for video games is otherwise dedicated to Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts and Europa Universalis 4.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheGreenMan wrote:
22 Sep 2020 15:55
Gunzaan wrote:
Ive played ESO since it came out. That game is already going downhill. As a NB main the vampire rework just took away what made NBs unique by allowing anyone to go invisible while sprinting.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Sep 2020 10:56
TheGreenMan wrote:
22 Sep 2020 15:55
Gunzaan wrote:
Ive played ESO since it came out. That game is already going downhill. As a NB main the vampire rework just took away what made NBs unique by allowing anyone to go invisible while sprinting.
Cool. I've been playing for a few years now.

Yeah, I don't understand the reasoning behind it. One foot forward, two steps back.
RIP JustJeff