Foot plot and run way done.

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Foot plot and run way done.

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

I am a bow hunter I shot a few nice bucks at my last place but moved. Now hunting on the daughters farm, mowed a path thru the thickest brush thru an oak flat to an alfalfa field. Put in a 1/4 acre plot of clover winter wheat and radishes, going to be awesome when the farmers harvest the corn and beans eliminating 3/4 of the cover and feed. Looking forward to hunting big fat ag country bucks.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Several hunters in my family. I never could shoot Bambi.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Aug 2020 23:23

I do respect the bow game Carl for sure, and the land sounds awesome...but I’m with you on that Brian.
I would do it no problem if I was about to eat the meat all winter or something, but I prefer beef over venison anyways. I respect the skill of bow hunting, but I have always had a little problem with like baiting a majestic animal (with fake stuff), and then blasting him from hundreds of yards away with a rifle as he is just trying to have some dinner.

I like a little more of a fair fight like they do in South Georgia with the hogs where they just have a machete and as the hog is chasing after them they side step it, then jump on its back, and chop its head off. That always felt like a fair fight to me. Incorrectly time the side step and porky wins.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

I make venison for people every winter that are not venison people, never had a complaint. Venison is all about how it is processed. I do not gut the deer in the field the deer is brought in and hung to be gutted where it can be done properly and clean. I hang the deer for 10-14 days in a climate controlled cooler. When I process the deer all fat and silver skin is trimmed off. It is kind of a pain and takes longer but hard to argue with the result. The gamey test of venison is in the fat and silver skin. It also helps if you shoot a buck that is not a swamp donkey from the north woods. Ag country deer taste better. As far as deer being a challenge with a bow, not so sure about that. I am a self taught hunter since I was a kid and I sucked at deer hunting had terrible luck and outcomes. When I retired from coaching youth football and the youth football association I bought a bow as my retirement gift. I don't shoot a buck every year because I won't just shoot any buck. My 2 biggest buck that I have shot the first one I sat in a tree for 5 hunts before I connected, my biggest buck I sat in a tree for an hour and a half then connected. Seems easy right, days and weeks of prep work scouting and watching manipulating the landscape to get to be at the right spot at the right time. I am not a cold blooded killer I feel satisfaction and remorse, but then again I have raised animals to be eaten lot easier to kill a deer than an animal you looked in the eye every day as you raised it.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
24 Aug 2020 21:28
I am a bow hunter I shot a few nice bucks at my last place but moved. Now hunting on the daughters farm, mowed a path thru the thickest brush thru an oak flat to an alfalfa field. Put in a 1/4 acre plot of clover winter wheat and radishes, going to be awesome when the farmers harvest the corn and beans eliminating 3/4 of the cover and feed. Looking forward to hunting big fat ag country bucks.
you bambi killer :lol:

I had to give up hunting a few years back, it's easy to pull the trigger, it's the harvest of the game that I couldn't do any longer, and besides that my Buddy sold his camp, so that means public lands or some farm provided I get permission, sorta a pain in the butt.

I've got a bunch of racks, 3 nice 10 pointers, and a bunch of 8's, 2 tens with a bow years ago are my most impressive, I've left better in the woods cause of my incompetence though, and don't really consider myself to be " the great white hunter" in fact my most impressive, with a 23" spread was hell bent on suicide, I was so in a state of shook I dropped my arrow, fumbled around getting another as my tree stand creaked as I moved to do so, all the while he just stood there waiting for me to finally shoot him, which somehow I managed to do before I fell out of the damn tree, lucky for the safety harness or I wouldn't be laughing about this now 25 years later. :lol:

and I think my mis adventures hunting like that time are really my prized adventures, I missed a 5x5 bull elk in southern colo. that I'am to ashamed to even talk about :lol:

PS: food plots, my friend and I built 3 on his camp, planted alfalfa, and beans, radishes, and apple trees on each plot, all where about a acre circle, with of course elevated blinds, my best deer in the 8 or so years I hunted there was a 8 pointer, nothing special, 17 inch spread, but it sure was a special place, loved that camp, had a huge pond and we stocked it with brook trout, we always had fish or some type of wild game to cook up year round, problem is a camp requirews a lot of maintanence, and when ya get old it just becomes to hard to do.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Yeah food plots and land clearing is so much easier with a tractor and implements. I get all excited before the season and then I get up in the tree and an hour and a half in my hips start hurting at 2-1/2 to 3 hours it gets almost unbearable, I refuse to take any pain drugs that give a person a buzz, and I keep putting off replacement surgery. Perhaps this winter if I am still not traveling.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
25 Aug 2020 05:37
I make venison for people every winter that are not venison people, never had a complaint. Venison is all about how it is processed. I do not gut the deer in the field the deer is brought in and hung to be gutted where it can be done properly and clean. I hang the deer for 10-14 days in a climate controlled cooler. When I process the deer all fat and silver skin is trimmed off. It is kind of a pain and takes longer but hard to argue with the result. The gamey test of venison is in the fat and silver skin. It also helps if you shoot a buck that is not a swamp donkey from the north woods. Ag country deer taste better. As far as deer being a challenge with a bow, not so sure about that. I am a self taught hunter since I was a kid and I sucked at deer hunting had terrible luck and outcomes. When I retired from coaching youth football and the youth football association I bought a bow as my retirement gift. I don't shoot a buck every year because I won't just shoot any buck. My 2 biggest buck that I have shot the first one I sat in a tree for 5 hunts before I connected, my biggest buck I sat in a tree for an hour and a half then connected. Seems easy right, days and weeks of prep work scouting and watching manipulating the landscape to get to be at the right spot at the right time. I am not a cold blooded killer I feel satisfaction and remorse, but then again I have raised animals to be eaten lot easier to kill a deer than an animal you looked in the eye every day as you raised it.
I do agree with you. I don’t know why I have that weird hang up about the deer, I think it is just because of how it is not my favorite to eat anyways. I do like venison jerky though!

I help raise about 15 cows and the females gets butchered and sold to friends and family once they reach a certain weight. It is hard when you feed and water them everyday. I respect your process Carl and it sounds like you do a lot of cool stuff!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Hunting was not in my family either. I understand why the herds should be culled but I too would have a problem killing Bambi.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Aug 2020 23:33
wallyuwl wrote:

I do respect the bow game Carl for sure, and the land sounds awesome...but I’m with you on that Brian.
I would do it no problem if I was about to eat the meat all winter or something, but I prefer beef over venison anyways. I respect the skill of bow hunting, but I have always had a little problem with like baiting a majestic animal (with fake stuff), and then blasting him from hundreds of yards away with a rifle as he is just trying to have some dinner.

I like a little more of a fair fight like they do in South Georgia with the hogs where they just have a machete and as the hog is chasing after them they side step it, then jump on its back, and chop its head off. That always felt like a fair fight to me. Incorrectly time the side step and porky wins.
As someone who doesn't know the first thing about hunting, I can't make sense of this. You just get through saying you don't have the heart to blast an animal from hundreds of yards yards away but then in the next breath claim you'd prefer to decapitate a live hog with a machete. I couldn't imagine a more personal way of killing an animal than by slitting its throat with a machete. :lol: I'm not anti-hunting and this is by no means meant to shame but my God I just can't see how that's a compromise lol.

I get your point and understand your logic but as someone who admittedly is uneducated about hunting, it's tough to understand how the second choice would be easier on your conscience.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Captain_Ben wrote:
25 Aug 2020 10:39
Drj820 wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

As someone who doesn't know the first thing about hunting, I can't make sense of this. You just get through saying you don't have the heart to blast an animal from hundreds of yards yards away but then in the next breath claim you'd prefer to decapitate a live hog with a machete. I couldn't imagine a more personal way of killing an animal than by slitting its throat with a machete. :lol: I'm not anti-hunting and this is by no means meant to shame but my God I just can't see how that's a compromise lol.

I get your point and understand your logic but as someone who admittedly is uneducated about hunting, it's tough to understand how the second choice would be easier on your conscience.
I’ve seen about 7-10 videos of boar hunting from the south and every one I’ve seen, they ride around in a vehicle and shoot them, haha.. I don’t doubt some people hunt them with a knife and on the ground but they don’t all hunt them like that.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gunzaan wrote:
25 Aug 2020 10:55
Captain_Ben wrote:
25 Aug 2020 10:39
Drj820 wrote:

I’ve seen about 7-10 videos of boar hunting from the south and every one I’ve seen, they ride around in a vehicle and shoot them, haha.. I don’t doubt some people hunt them with a knife and on the ground but they don’t all hunt them like that.
Haha well I’ve never done either, but my point was that one feels too easy of a kill and one is a fair fight. The hog may just smoke you while you try to smoke it ha.

I’m not man enough for that sort of activity anyways. But the people that do it get impelled with horns often.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Definitely a good way to test one’s “fight or flight” natural instinct!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

My brother in law just sent me a pick of this, pretty much right where i normally put my stand on his land. Definitely going to same spot now unless someone else gets that bow hunting.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

I do not get the pig stabbing not for me. Pigs in the south are like rats they do a lot of damage. I had a friend that had a home butcher shop and I helped him slaughter and butcher pigs, cows, goats, sheep, chickens, rabbits etc. I hated doing pigs. 1 at a time not so bad but more than that was horrible. Pigs are smart the 2nd pig knows what's coming, and the sound is unnerving.

I am looking forward to just sitting in a tree no phone usage just sitting as still as possible watching the sun go down. I won't lie I want to shoot as big a buck as possible but I will settle for a doe, I promised a friend I would kill at least 2 deer. He had a deer bolt into the side of his bike at 50 mph broke his right leg in multiple places he did not crash to the ground he rode a 1/4 mile to a farm and somebody put his kick stand down he sat on his bike till the ambulance showed up.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Slid this topic over to the Cheesehead Chatter section where I think it fits better. Unless, of course, Trump Is somehow to blame for the killing of Bambi... ;)

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Ants and trail cameras, a little frustrating. I had 4 trail cameras at the old place when I moved I took them off the trees and put them in a box. I buy new batteries and 1 out of the 4 worked. Ants love circuit boards for some reason they get inside and somehow damage the camera.