Lions and Vikings and Bears, Oh My !

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Lions and Vikings and Bears, Oh My !

Post by TheWolfman »

It appears that GB is not doing well in the NFC North in 2023. The reasons can be discussed in this thread. Also humor about NFC North teams would be welcomed.

To start, I believe that the current GM is at the core of this seasons record.

Next, Love can't be properly evaluated with this current below average O-Line.

Special Teams has improved under this ST Coach, but could still use better personal as could much of the team.

Finally, it's not going to make my Thanksgiving better to see GB play Detroit, it looks grim at this time.
If your not the lead dog, then the scenery never changes.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheWolfman wrote:
08 Nov 2023 13:58
It appears that GB is not doing well in the NFC North in 2023. The reasons can be discussed in this thread. Also humor about NFC North teams would be welcomed.

Special Teams has improved under this ST Coach, but could still use better personal as could much of the team.

Finally, it's not going to make my Thanksgiving better to see GB play Detroit, it looks grim at this time.
Not trying to be snarky but many of those topics have been/are currently being discussed at length in other threads. Join the conversation(s)!

Glad to see another Packer fan join the crowd. Welcome aboard!

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Someone posted stats a week ago to show the oline has given Love plenty of time to throw the ball.

Run blocking not as well.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

APB wrote:
08 Nov 2023 16:05
TheWolfman wrote:

Not trying to be snarky but many of those topics have been/are currently being discussed at length in other threads. Join the conversation(s)!

I understand, but a fresh headline and a more focused approach does no harm. Did I maybe step on one or more of your threads by chance. Also, reading every post on every thread should not be needed. Lighten up a bit and don't be so rigid. Forums are supposed to be fun, not condemn one to a state of unhappiness. :beer2:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheWolfman wrote:
08 Nov 2023 16:22
APB wrote:
08 Nov 2023 16:05
TheWolfman wrote:

I understand, but a fresh headline and a more focused approach does no harm. Did I maybe step on one or more of your threads by chance. Also, reading every post on every thread should not be needed. Lighten up a bit and don't be so rigid. Forums are supposed to be fun, not condemn one to a state of unhappiness. :beer2:
I think you may have misread my tone. No condemnation here. Just offering some forum insight. Hakuna matata.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

bud fox wrote:
08 Nov 2023 16:19
Someone posted stats a week ago to show the oline has given Love plenty of time to throw the ball.

Run blocking not as well.
Stats can look good, but often don't translate into results. GB traditionally has had one of the Top O-Lines on NFL fields, but with injuries and trades, they are just not what they used to be. IMO, success in the NFL starts with the BEEF. Strong, agile, athletic men that can not only run block, but can give their QB the protection needed to hit receivers in their stride. Defense's have trended toward massive monsters that can pass rush (GB too). O-Lines must meet this challenge and GB's has not. Also, stats may well show adequate protection times, yet it serves no purpose if receivers keep dropping footballs. Finally, this GM says he is trading players for a better Packer future, it's the 1980's revisited.

I'm glad to join this forum, but I won't be bullied or harassed as other sites regularly allow. Otherwise, I'm glad to give this forum a test drive.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Hey Wolf welcome to the forum.

One of the jokes I remember from the old version of the site went something like this.

How do you kill a Vikings fan?
Spoiler
Drop the toilet seat on them when they go to take a drink.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I think the OL is fine this year, compared to years past. It’s just missing Rodgers to use the whole play clock telling them who to block.

The reason I think an evaluation on Love can be difficult is because the WRs are atrocious. They run wrong routes, can’t separate, can’t catch. Worrying about whether they will do something stupid has to take away from Loves ability to just go play
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

Drj820 wrote:
10 Nov 2023 02:45
I think the OL is fine this year, compared to years past. It’s just missing Rodgers to use the whole play clock telling them who to block.

The reason I think an evaluation on Love can be difficult is because the WRs are atrocious. They run wrong routes, can’t separate, can’t catch. Worrying about whether they will do something stupid has to take away from Loves ability to just go play
I agree with your evaluation of the WRs. I somewhat disagree about the O-Line this season. It's true that they can't be expected to pass block beyond reason as receivers are not getting open or dropping footballs. IMO they are not as good as years past and I'd use my 1st draft pick in 2024 to take the best available Left Tackle. I don't see Bakhtiari returning and his backups have not been so good. Jordan Love may possess the physical skills and thoroughly know his playbook, but I not sure he has the mental quickness of a Rodgers or Mahomes.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

TheWolfman wrote:
10 Nov 2023 03:16
Jordan Love may possess the physical skills and thoroughly know his playbook, but I not sure he has the mental quickness of a Rodgers or Mahomes.
Love definitely hasn't the elite decision making skills like Rodgers or Mahomes at this point in his career. The huge question is if he will be able to improve in that area though.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

If the Oline can't run block then the O is going to have a lot of 3rd and long's. Play action is useless and the Dline will pin their ears back and a LB will blitz more often.

Also I disagree that pass blocking has been good, although it got better vs the Rams. Love has been good at avoiding pressure which makes the pass blocking look better than it is. Play calling has been friendly to the Oline pass blocking also

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I think we are seeing more composure from Love with each game, the pass pro was inconsistent at first, specially picking up the stunts and blitzes, and still miscues happen on practically every series, plus he got very little help from the run game, receivers mistakes also added to all the disfunction.

to me it's nothing but deception to say the OL has blocked well, when we watch as Aaron Donald in Loves face in 0.5 seconds, or Myers, Walker, Runyan, fail to anchor and get driven right back to Love in the blink of the eye.

circumstances have made this transition for Love harder then I think anyone expected, yet, slowly he seems to be improving, same with the OL, RB's and receivers, looking for more of the Rams second have play going forward.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

Jeff: Ice down another one Frank.

Frank: Done Jeff.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 Nov 2023 06:22
Also I disagree that pass blocking has been good, although it got better vs the Rams. Love has been good at avoiding pressure which makes the pass blocking look better than it is. Play calling has been friendly to the Oline pass blocking also
It's true that pass blocking hasn't been good this season but the Packers offensive line is still at least average in that area. It seems there are a lot of fans trying to make people believe it was been atrocious which isn't correct either though.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

CWIMM wrote:
14 Nov 2023 05:58
TheSkeptic wrote:
10 Nov 2023 06:22
It's true that pass blocking hasn't been good this season but the Packers offensive line is still at least average in that area. It seems there are a lot of fans trying to make people believe it was been atrocious which isn't correct either though.
Hasn’t been good…by what measure?