NFL Midseason Pass Rush Rankings

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

NFL Midseason Pass Rush Rankings

Post by APB »

The Athletic's Larry Holder has compiled a rankings list of both teams and individuals in the category of pressuring the opposing QB. Some mild surprises, in my view.

In team rankings, the Packers come in at #7 overall. Higher than what I would have expected.

Pressures.png
Pressures.png (110.24 KiB) Viewed 544 times

The Packers are getting after the opposing QB, and Joe Barry has been relatively aggressive with a 20.2% blitz rate (7th highest).

Individually, Rashan Gary leads the way for the Packers with an overall pressure rate % of 22.1%, coming in 2nd overall. As good as that is, he still only has 4.5 sacks on the year. He's gotta find a way to convert more of those pressures into actual sacks.

Pressures Individual.png
Pressures Individual.png (81.56 KiB) Viewed 544 times

Another player making an impact is interior lineman Devonte Wyatt. He is quietly putting together a solid year getting after the QB. Currently ranked #11 in pressures, he appears to be coming into his own in just his 2nd year.

Pressures Individual 11-20.png
Pressures Individual 11-20.png (83.74 KiB) Viewed 544 times

Gary and Wyatt are the only two Packer players in the top 50. Don't fret, though. Take a look at some of the other much more heralded players who also didn't make the top 50 cut:

Pressures Outside Top 50.png
Pressures Outside Top 50.png (106.51 KiB) Viewed 544 times

Some pretty big names in there.

With Gary recently locked up long term and Wyatt in only his 2nd year, I think it's safe to say the Packers are looking pretty good going forward as far as getting after the opposing QB.

Perhaps Gutebumst deserves some credit here...?

Nah.... :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I tend to put more stock in the athletic rankings then I do ESPN, which have neither Gary or Wyatt in there top 20 for either edge or interior rush win rate, imo Barry's defenses is predicated on pass rush, because he's shown to be pretty inept setting up a secondary.

ESPN does throw us a surprise as well, just check out the pass blocking win rate, just make sure your sitting down though to read it, our LT dominates :thwap:

stats are only as good as the grader.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/383 ... yers-teams

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
10 Nov 2023 08:03
I tend to put more stock in the athletic rankings then I do ESPN, which have neither Gary or Wyatt in there top 20 for either edge or interior rush win rate, imo Barry's defenses is predicated on pass rush, because he's shown to be pretty inept setting up a secondary.

ESPN does throw us a surprise as well, just check out the pass blocking win rate, just make sure your sitting down though to read it, our LT dominates :thwap:

stats are only as good as the grader.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/383 ... yers-teams
ESPN isn't measuring pressures/sacks, their metric measures the overall win rate% on a play-by-play basis. Two different things and each useful in their own right regarding whatever measure you're seeking.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

Statistics, analytics, readouts, it sounds like Tom Landry all over again. I ask, what is the won/lost record and why? Can this or that player play their position or are they getting beat? I salute the time/effort it took to post this info., but does it translate into wins or does it create excuses for poor execution? I don't expect to see GB in the playoffs this year or in following two seasons either. It's not the Coaches, rather it's this GM and what players he has provided following his gutting of this noble team. :box:
If your not the lead dog, then the scenery never changes.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheWolfman wrote:
10 Nov 2023 18:06
Statistics, analytics, readouts, it sounds like Tom Landry all over again. I ask, what is the won/lost record and why? Can this or that player play their position or are they getting beat? I salute the time/effort it took to post this info., but does it translate into wins or does it create excuses for poor execution? I don't expect to see GB in the playoffs this year or in following two seasons either. It's not the Coaches, rather it's this GM and what players he has provided following his gutting of this noble team. :box:
It’s apparent you missed the title of the thread and what information I was attempting to highlight. :dunno:

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

APB wrote:
10 Nov 2023 19:09
It’s apparent you missed the title of the thread and what information I was attempting to highlight.
I missed nothing, including the threads title. Your "information" is only relevant if it matters to the reader. To me it's just a cover for poor overall team play. Have a nice day. :)

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

APB wrote:
10 Nov 2023 19:40
Someone disagreeing with you is not grounds to post like this. Not everyone is going to march to your cadence. This is not the first time you have tried to bully me and I'm asking you nicely to stop doing it please. Longevity does not give you the privilege to act any way that you please. I will not be cowed by you sir and I'm not afraid of reporting you if you persist.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ain’t nothing wrong with being weird. Let your freak flag fly.

Does help to respond on the actual topic though. Rather than belittling someone else’s posts then hammering on your well established dislike for Gutenkunst, seemingly off topic. We have like 5 other threads to post about Gute in.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

There was an earlier stat in another thread showing our poor success rate with the blitz, compared to a four man rush. Our blitz packages are too telegraphed or we are laying too far off in coverage to force the QB into a bad throw.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

BF004 wrote:
10 Nov 2023 20:51
Does help to respond on the actual topic though. Rather than belittling someone else’s posts then hammering on your well established dislike for Gutenkunst, seemingly off topic. We have like 5 other threads to post about Gute in.
Responding in kind with the original post would have me agree with it and I don't. Numbers don't, IMO, measure a man's heart or his will to win or how quickly he can think and react during a play. Numbers can be used to divert attention from other problem areas though. As for the current GM, I tried to like him, but his actions have, IMO, done long term damage to the Packers. Also, I've taken great care to not belittle as you say, but present my position to each thread or post. I don't expect to always be agreed with, but I will not be harassed or bullied either. As for the five other threads, I take that as a warning to stop creating threads and fall into line with the more tenured members. I did not join here for a fight with anyone, but if I'm not wanted, I can be invisible, but that does not mean I surrender. I hope all new members are not treated this way, Enjoy your kingdom, I'll be back to look in from time to time, but don't count on any future post that may never come.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

We’ll maybe let’s can it with the I’m being bullied schtick on this man’s sports forum here.

No one did nothing of the sort, no one asked you to be invisible, no on asking you to surrender. Might want to check out the rules. There is one about bringing pet topics into other threads.

It isn’t a surrender to talk about pass rush statistics in a pass rush thread. You are also welcome to simply not post in that thread if it goes against your moral compass. But as a courtesy to other members who like to discuss all types of topics, we don’t need every thread to turn into what you think is most important.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Well, this thread certainly took an unexpected turn... :messedup:

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Back on topic

Gary is winning at a crazy rate. Like you said I want him to get home more often. Some say pressures are good enough... Nah I want the QB on the ground and maybe the ball out a few times. I think he gets to 12 sacks

Wyatt never had an issue in the pass rush. I think he's so geared up it takes him out of plays in the run game. If he can find a happy medium he going to be solid.

I would like to say Karl Brooks numbers in his limited snaps. He gets pressure when in there

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yes, I want these pressures to matter. Forced fumbles, forced interceptions, obviously sacks nice too.

But be a game changer.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we all want to see opposing QB's face planted :lol: but constantly getting pressure usually leads to that, Gary is slow close so often I can't help to think his sack numbers will increase, same with LVN, he's long and also tenacious, I think these two will become a constant presence in opposing backfields for years to come, healthy and our front 7 can be very disruptive.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
12 Nov 2023 09:30
Gary is winning at a crazy rate. Like you said I want him to get home more often. Some say pressures are good enough... Nah I want the QB on the ground and maybe the ball out a few times. I think he gets to 12 sacks

Wyatt never had an issue in the pass rush. I think he's so geared up it takes him out of plays in the run game. If he can find a happy medium he going to be solid.

I would like to say Karl Brooks numbers in his limited snaps. He gets pressure when in there
I solely have access to PFF's numbers but according to them here's the win percentage of the Packers with at least 100 pass rushing snaps so far this season:

Rashan Gary 25.6%
Devonte Wyatt 12.6%
Preston Smith 9.4%
Kenny Clark 8.1%
Lukas Van Ness 7.8%
Karl Brooks 7.8%
Kingsley Enagbare 7.3%
T.J. Slaton 3.6%