Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Every dollar you give a player is accounted for on the cap, eventually.

We are just taking a cap hit in '23 for paying him in '21 and '22.

We can easily just fill in that missing $8M dollars by backloading contracts and/or adding void years. (like Gary)

And then in 2026 and 2027, when Gary's contract is becoming a pain to '26 and '27, we'll just backload other contract and/or add void years onto Gary's.

You essentially just borrow from the future, with an ever growing cap, taking on a smaller piece of a future cap and filling bigger hole today. And you just do this in perpetuity.

It would be like if you had credit card debt and you just opened another credit card to pay off the last one. Which is typically dumb as the interest would destroy you. But in this case there is no interest. You can still have a credit limit (salary cap), so you can still only borrow so much. However every time you open a new credit card, you get a higher limit (increasing salary cap), so you could actually add more debt. You essentially just never end up paying it back ($'s just get can kicked forever). Something will happen eventually that will break this, but as long as there is no reason to expect it to happen in the next 4-5 years, no GM is gunna care.

And would it be nice to at some point just pay it off and be able to have the full current cap and future caps to borrow from? Of course, but guessing most cases where that will happen (Bears), you’ll be paying off the debt for the next GM.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I feel like I just listened to a lecture on how the government is run…

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
05 Dec 2023 19:52
ahhh, the government pays the interest on the debt, what 004 is explaining is interest free loans from the future to pay todays debt, with no interest, it's a borrowers paradise :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
05 Dec 2023 16:49
NCF wrote:
05 Dec 2023 13:22
I also don't think I have ever paid attention to how poorly the Vikings have managed Cousins contracts. Looks like almost $30M to account for whether he plays for them next year or not.

image.png
We have been talking about this in Vikingland for 3 years. I think somewhere down the road the NFL is going to put a stop to void years. Cousins isn't the only player in the league that has void years. And it's stupid to do it. Hope your team doesn't do it.
this stuff has been going on since the 90's, Carmen Policy did it with the Niner back then and won several SB's, why would the nfl cut a source that allows teams to win? it's up to the team to take the gamble, lose or win it's there choice, I don't ever see this method which allows teams to hold together a talented team ever being curtailed.

and we've been doing it for years here already, there was a big stink about the Niners doing it back, and there is nothing illegal about it, I remember complaining about it cause the Niners beat us in the PO's it was so unfair, cept it wasn't, the Packers thought it unscrupulous, whatever we still lost, unscrupulous is what it takes to win in this league.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
They just pretend there is no salary cap though, and they have to pay interest.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
05 Dec 2023 20:12
Raptorman wrote:
05 Dec 2023 16:49
NCF wrote:
05 Dec 2023 13:22
I also don't think I have ever paid attention to how poorly the Vikings have managed Cousins contracts. Looks like almost $30M to account for whether he plays for them next year or not.

image.png
We have been talking about this in Vikingland for 3 years. I think somewhere down the road the NFL is going to put a stop to void years. Cousins isn't the only player in the league that has void years. And it's stupid to do it. Hope your team doesn't do it.
this stuff has been going on since the 90's, Carmen Policy did it with the Niner back then and won several SB's, why would the nfl cut a source that allows teams to win? it's up to the team to take the gamble, lose or win it's there choice, I don't ever see this method which allows teams to hold together a talented team ever being curtailed.

and we've been doing it for years here already, there was a big stink about the Niners doing it back, and there is nothing illegal about it, I remember complaining about it cause the Niners beat us in the PO's it was so unfair, cept it wasn't, the Packers thought it unscrupulous, whatever we still lost, unscrupulous is what it takes to win in this league.
Wait until it blows up in their face. And it will eventually. If you can string it out for 2 years, why not 4, or 6?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I liked this one

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
05 Dec 2023 19:56
APB wrote:
ahhh, the government pays the interest on the debt, what 004 is explaining is interest free loans from the future to pay todays debt, with no interest, it's a borrowers paradise :lol:
BF004 wrote:They just pretend there is no salary cap though, and they have to pay interest.
I guess I should have added a ;) emoji to my post. I thought the tongue-in-cheek would be obvious...

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
06 Dec 2023 06:12
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:
BF004 wrote:They just pretend there is no salary cap though, and they have to pay interest.
I guess I should have added a ;) emoji to my post. I thought the tongue-in-cheek would be obvious...
it was, I laughed, thanks for that, however there actually is a difference :clap: :mrgreen:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

And they’d just give away most of their draft picks to teams that are playing teams we don’t like.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
06 Dec 2023 12:20
And they’d just give away most of their draft picks to teams that are playing teams we don’t like.
And let the clock expire when it is our turn to pick in Round 1.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
06 Dec 2023 12:28
BF004 wrote:
And would make the players vote for next GM between Antonio Brown and Darren Sharper.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
06 Dec 2023 12:32
NCF wrote:
06 Dec 2023 12:28
BF004 wrote:
And would make the players vote for next GM between Antonio Brown and Darren Sharper.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Jets reporter on NFL radio this morning talking about how the Jets desperately need a better WR2. Whether in the Midwest or out east, the story for Rodgers teams remains the same lol.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Dec 2023 07:32
Jets reporter on NFL radio this morning talking about how the Jets desperately need a better WR2. Whether in the Midwest or out east, the story for Rodgers teams remains the same lol.
Thats theyre own fault. They signed Cobb who quite frankly should be out of the league and they gave Lazard a big money deal which Ive been beating since the say they signed it was one of the worst free agent deals in the offseason.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Dec 2023 09:00
Drj820 wrote:
07 Dec 2023 07:32
Thats theyre own fault. They signed Cobb who quite frankly should be out of the league and they gave Lazard a big money deal which Ive been beating since the say they signed it was one of the worst free agent deals in the offseason.
Cobb was signed as a player coach, and Lazard is a 600+ yrd receiver if Rodgers is the QB, thats why they where signed, plenty of issues with the Jets, WR is probably the least of them :idn:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

It was a pretty weak free agent market for WRs. After Hopkins and OBJ, Lazard was legitimately the next best option.

And the Jets did not pursue Lazard in lieu of the other two, iirc NY also made a play at OBJ, they just lost the argument to BAL (who in retrospect did turn out to be the better landing spot).

Then again there was always Juju, if we are still acting like he's anything but a scrub much less a Lazard upgrade. :mrgreen:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
07 Dec 2023 09:28
It was a pretty weak free agent market for WRs. After Hopkins and OBJ, Lazard was legitimately the next best option.

And the Jets did not pursue Lazard in lieu of the other two, iirc NY also made a play at OBJ, they just lost the argument to BAL (who in retrospect did turn out to be the better landing spot).

Then again there was always Juju, if we are still acting like he's anything but a scrub much less a Lazard upgrade. :mrgreen:
you keep comparing players like Lazard or MVS to Shuster, and neither ever has been him, Shuster had 1400 yrds his 2nd season, and had 933 yrds last year, was hurt the year prior as well as a few games this season in what is the worst offensive production from NE in your lifetime :lol:

when Shuster decided, or the Chiefs screwed up not offering a contract and he went to NE, he sure didn't expect the inept QB play or team decline that happened there this season.

Shuster with Rodgers and Adams would have been a far more explosive combo then Adams, Rodgers, no hands MVS and the stumbling Lazard, of that I have no doubts :box:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
07 Dec 2023 09:54
you keep comparing players like Lazard or MVS to Shuster, and neither ever has been him, Shuster had 1400 yrds his 2nd season,
And neither has ever played as POORLY as he is now!

What you accomplished in the past does not matter in the here-and-now.

and had 933 yrds last year,
Last year he had MVP-caliber play at QB, excellent offensive coaches, and two receivers whose playmaking ability warranted more attention than Juju's slow ass.

So yes, under those perfect circumstances, you can stuff the stat-sheet by dinking and dunking to him when you can't throw to Kelce or bomb it to MVS (who KC has kept over him), both of which do way more to win the game than slot dump-offs to Juju.

Shuster with Rodgers and Adams would have been a far more explosive combo then Adams, Rodgers, no hands MVS and the stumbling Lazard,
Shuster is not more explosive than Lazard, much less MVS lol. MVS at least can get downfield in a way that defenses have to respect no matter how bad his hands are, because the one pass he catches changes the outcome of a game.

And how is Juju at all more explosive than Lazard? They both ran mid-4.5 coming out of college, this while Juju is significantly smaller.

Besides which, Juju was not available for singing when we had Adams. He was available in 2022, when we needed a #1 WR, not another complementary piece, much less a slower and smaller Lazard.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:
Additionally, the government gets to print free money, which devalues every existing dollar. And to add to the nonsense, the government, by selective executive orders, voids the principal on some loans. Don’t worry though, the rest of us working slobs will pick up the tab. :bkw:

PS. Understood. This is diverging from the thread topic. I could not hold it back. Mea Culpa x 3.
Last edited by GJPackerBacker on 07 Dec 2023 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
GO PACK GO!!!