Defensive Coordinator Potential Candidates

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

williewasgreat wrote:
27 Dec 2023 15:04
Drj820 wrote:
27 Dec 2023 13:29
lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Dec 2023 12:16
i dont have much interest in Leonhard. Hes only coached at the college level and had success with a school thats a pipeline for the upper midwest. Id rather pull from the pro level. Im curious if other fan bases view Leonhard as a DC like we do.
They don’t. Leonhard would have no clue what to do with the speed that’s in the NFL
Leonhard played safety for 10 years in the NFL. I think he knows a little about it.
why did Leonard turn down Lafleur 3 years ago, why did the Eagles decide to not hire him? my guess is that Jim wants total control of the defense, his own assistants, and some decision concerning players to keep, get, or get rid of.

tall order since Lafleur also wants that control, that piece from SUPER blogger Butkowski about Matt over ruling Pettine and demanding single high man coverage that got KIng roasted in that 2020 PO loss, if true it explains why Leonard chose not to come aboard.
I think Matt will have to give up some of that control if he is to attract a quality DC.

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Yoop wrote:
28 Dec 2023 07:47
williewasgreat wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
27 Dec 2023 13:29

They don’t. Leonhard would have no clue what to do with the speed that’s in the NFL
Leonhard played safety for 10 years in the NFL. I think he knows a little about it.
why did Leonard turn down Lafleur 3 years ago, why did the Eagles decide to not hire him? my guess is that Jim wants total control of the defense, his own assistants, and some decision concerning players to keep, get, or get rid of.

tall order since Lafleur also wants that control, that piece from SUPER blogger Butkowski about Matt over ruling Pettine and demanding single high man coverage that got KIng roasted in that 2020 PO loss, if true it explains why Leonard chose not to come aboard.
I think Matt will have to give up some of that control if he is to attract a quality DC.
That appears to be the control we gave up to get Bisaccia

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
28 Dec 2023 08:03
Yoop wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:

That appears to be the control we gave up to get Bisaccia
Buddy Ryan had total control in Chicago and generated 3 Hall of Famers and guys like Wilbur Marshall and The Fridge.....and a 1 loss season and a Super Bowl in 1985. Do you want results or something less relevant?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
It was widely reported that Leonhard felt next in line for Wisconsin HC and thought it would be a more stable position for himself and his family versus an NFL job where he could be uprooted every few years. He widely miscalculated his position with WI, however, and I would assume is now much more amenable to making the jump.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

How many big ten titles did leonhard win? Any college football playoff appearances? National titles?

Why did he downgrade to just an analyst at Illinois?
Why didn’t wisconsin give him the head job?

Jsonline reported he interviewed for an “assistant” position for the eagles this past offseason. Not a coordinator job.

My point? Only homers from wisconsin think Leonhard should just be handed a GB DC job at 41 years old.

If he wants to be a DC in the nfl, his next step up the ladder would be a position coach for a DC.

The market for this guy is a different temperature outside of the state of wisconsin
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
28 Dec 2023 08:29
Yoop wrote:
It was widely reported that Leonhard felt next in line for Wisconsin HC and thought it would be a more stable position for himself and his family versus an NFL job where he could be uprooted every few years. He widely miscalculated his position with WI, however, and I would assume is now much more amenable to making the jump.
thing is though NCF he auditioned for that job with the Eagles, so in that sense he wanted a nfl DC job, this article is just a refresher, I'am pretty sure you read it before, whatever Leonard is intriguing prospect for sure.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/c ... ive-coordi

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Even Nagler knows how silly the Leonhard obsession is.

I bet blogger Andy loves Leonhard tho

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I am most intrigued by Chris Hewitt, Passing Game Coordinator/Secondary Coach for the Ravens.

That's a team that is consistently good on defense and Hewitt has been a part of their success since 2015. As pass game coordinator/secondary coach, his next logical progression step would be DC. If he's able to poach a coach or two from that perennially good staff, it resets the entire culture of what has been a decade+ long struggle for our defense.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Dec 2023 09:10

Even Nagler knows how silly the Leonhard obsession is.

I bet blogger Andy loves Leonhard tho
the Rex Ryan is the Buddy Ryan scheme, Pettine being a off shoot of that was fine with me, but every cord in lineage brings there own diversity along as well, so to say Leonard would be the same as Pettine is so clueless from Nagler, he should know better then to spout such simplemindedness, thats like saying Barry's soft zone approach is identical to Vic Fangio's product, or Saleh or the other half dozen coaches with lineage to Fangio. :rotf:

Nagler just wants someone new and not a rehash of what Lafluer did 3 years ago, hiring a buddy like Barry, actually though Lafleur sought out Leonard because he's coached up some very good NFL talent and has been a success at every visible venture concerning football, I would want the same.

nagler, haaa, good one. :rotf:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lupedafiasco wrote:
i dont have much interest in Leonhard. Hes only coached at the college level and had success with a school thats a pipeline for the upper midwest. Id rather pull from the pro level. Im curious if other fan bases view Leonhard as a DC like we do.
One positive in Leonard's favor is he created one of the top defenses in college football at a school that has strict standards for admissions even for student athletes. He got average kids to perform at a high level. It would be interesting to see what he could do with the level of talent in the pros.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
28 Dec 2023 09:34
I am most intrigued by Chris Hewitt, Passing Game Coordinator/Secondary Coach for the Ravens.

That's a team that is consistently good on defense and Hewitt has been a part of their success since 2015. As pass game coordinator/secondary coach, his next logical progression step would be DC. If he's able to poach a coach or two from that perennially good staff, it resets the entire culture of what has been a decade+ long struggle for our defense.
read this about him yesterday, to busy and forgot to post, Harbaugh hired him in Feb 2012, so he's paid his dues, probably knows a lot of NFL coaches that may want to come on board as well., well done APB :aok:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hewitt

Hewitt was brought into the Ravens by head coach John Harbaugh, who had been Hewitt's special teams coach when he was playing at the age of 17 as a freshman at the University of Cincinnati. Hewitt was part of the Ravens coaching staff for the Raven's victory at Super Bowl XLVII in 2013, which was played in New Orleans at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, where Hewitt played in the NFL with the Saints

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
28 Dec 2023 09:55
lupedafiasco wrote:
One positive in Leonard's favor is he created one of the top defenses in college football at a school that has strict standards for admissions even for student athletes. He got average kids to perform at a high level. It would be interesting to see what he could do with the level of talent in the pros.
Big ten offenses are a joke. It’s one demensional football.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Unrelated/related, I completely believe Leonhard would have been coach of Wisconsin if Fickell wasn’t available and interested. Too good of an opportunity for Wisco.

But just my opinion.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Zimmer would be my old head. Always liked how he ran his d and used his inside lbers. AR always talked about how difficult his defense was to play against. Get Gary and van ness hand in the ground and add another athlete inside with walker. Safeties would need huge upgrade also.

I'm cool with an up and coming guy. Mayo or Harris would be nice. Get something new with a hungry guy the young team can circle around. This team wants to play aggressive. A young aggressive guy reels in jaire and others that are upset

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I think I will add Jarod Mayo and Johnny Holland to my list, as well, but I do have a fear of hiring a coordinator who has not worked with the secondary or been a passing game coordinator, previously.

Read More. Post Less.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Pugger wrote:
28 Dec 2023 09:55
lupedafiasco wrote:
Interesting, sure. But I'm not up for an experiment at this point. I genuinely believe we have the makings of a great team. Aside from a position here and there, we have the horses. I'd much prefer a DC with NFL coaching experience either as a DC or defensive assistant. Leonard could be the next best thing, but we don't have time to find out.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

If any of you watch Andy the Blogger daily feeds, he went into his 20 candidate list recently. It's mostly the same guys highlighted in the OP with the exception of:

Antonio Pierce, Interim Raiders HC (if available)
Rex Ryan, former Jets/Bills HC
Wink Martindale, current Giants DC (if available)
Chris Harris, current Titans passing game/secondary coach
Anthony Weaver, current Ravens Asst HC/DL coach

Andy also made a point to say if you think Belichick, Saleh, or Tomlin will, if available, take the DC job in GB as a follow-on gig then you're living in a dream world.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Of course we are all assuming MLF will actually can Barry after this season is over. I'm not so sure. I guess I'll believe it when I see it. :|

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I’m not opposed to Antonio Pierce. He can clearly inspire and rally the troops. He’s got playing SB experience too.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

lupedafiasco wrote:
28 Dec 2023 15:49
I’m not opposed to Antonio Pierce. He can clearly inspire and rally the troops. He’s got playing SB experience too.
The way the raiders are playing they would be fools to move on. Give him the shot I think