Defensive Coordinator Potential Candidates

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Need to keep this all in context. This is Green Bay we're talking about. That said, they will want either an experienced coach (e.g. Zimmer) or a guy with connections to the Packers (e.g. Harris/Holland). I would be stunned if they go outside of that group.

Please just give me a DC who keeps it unpredictable AND keeps pressure on QBs.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
28 Dec 2023 17:43
Need to keep this all in context. This is Green Bay we're talking about. That said, they will want either an experienced coach (e.g. Zimmer) or a guy with connections to the Packers (e.g. Harris/Holland). I would be stunned if they go outside of that group.

I wouldn't be stunned about anything. The people in Green Bay tugging at the puppet strings these days are generally incoherent. Pettine, Barry, Sherman .......... to name a few head scratchers. Dan Devine .... OMFG. Even LaFleur baffles me now.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Here is some info about Zimmer's style of defense that I found on a Vikings' blogger's site. Quoted BB about it too.

Bill Belichick, head coach of the Patriots, summed up Zimmer's defensive looks pretty well when the Vikings played them week two, after having been totally shut-down the previous year against Zimmer in Cincinnati:
"They disguise well; including the linebackers, whether that’s (Anthony) Barr and (Chad) Greenway or when they put Barr down, Greenway and [Gerald] Hodges and all those guys do a good job of blitzing and covering and faking and man, zone," Belichick said. "That’s really the scheme that Coach Zimmer runs. They do a good job with it. They’re all part of it."

Belichick continued: "I’d say that’s one of their real strengths is they give you a bunch of, not so much different looks but different combinations off similar looks. You have to be ready for everybody…Sometimes it’s strong side, sometimes it’s weak side, sometimes it’s up the middle, sometimes it’s man, sometimes it’s zone, sometimes it’s blitz zone, sometimes it’s all-out blitz, sometimes it’s just max coverage and they drop everybody off but off that same look."
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:

If connections to the Packers are a prerequisite, then you can include Patrick Graham, Marquand Manual, Mike Smith, and Audrey Pleasant to your Harris/Holland list. All those guys have worked inside 1265 Lombardi at one time or another.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
28 Dec 2023 19:22
Scott4Pack wrote:

If connections to the Packers are a prerequisite, then you can include Patrick Graham, Marquand Manual, Mike Smith, and Audrey Pleasant to your Harris/Holland list. All those guys have worked inside 1265 Lombardi at one time or another.
The only connection that matters is to LaFleur.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Dec 2023 01:30
APB wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

You may be right but I suspect organizational leadership senior to MLF has noticed his track record in hiring staff members, coordinators in particular, and will have some say in who takes over on defense, assuming Barry's contract is not renewed.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
29 Dec 2023 06:24
lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:

You may be right but I suspect organizational leadership senior to MLF has noticed his track record in hiring staff members, coordinators in particular, and will have some say in who takes over on defense, assuming Barry's contract is not renewed.
lets hope your right, hopefully we hire someone who demands complete control of the defense, Lafleurs meddling with it according to Butkowski leads to disaster.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
29 Dec 2023 07:04
APB wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

lets hope your right, hopefully we hire someone who demands complete control of the defense, Lafleurs meddling with it according to Butkowski leads to disaster.
With all due respect, Bukowski is the twitter version of Skip Bayless. He's annoyingly outspoken, occasionally entertaining, and he has no more knowledge of the Packers inner workings than the bullfrog in the pond out back.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Wahle is down with Alshinard.

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
29 Dec 2023 07:40
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

With all due respect, Bukowski is the twitter version of Skip Bayless. He's annoyingly outspoken, occasionally entertaining, and he has no more knowledge of the Packers inner workings than the bullfrog in the pond out back.
Herman is basically saying the same thing, Lafleur shouldn't need to be so involved with the defense, and while he isn't privy to everything that goes on at 1265 he probably knows people who are, or at least openly makes comments that require it, comments that would be refuted if there false, such as Walker not attending a players/coaches meeting.
again if it's true that Matt told Pettine to use single high man when KIng was beat for what amounted to a game losing TD catch in that 2020 PO loss, well that is certainly a problem, a couple weeks later Pettine was fired.

whatever, I don't want Lafleur to have final say with anyone hired, I thought Murphy and Gutekunst did a pretty good job hiring him, let them also hire the new DC

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
29 Dec 2023 07:40
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

Great post. Add blogger Andy to this list too.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Labrev wrote:
29 Dec 2023 08:48

Thanks for posting this. I was going to ask, aside from the fact that he was beloved as a Packers player, what makes Al Harris a viable candidate? Wahle's endorsement makes me take him more seriously.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

APB wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:

First, I hope you are correct and that someone/anyone is involved with the new DC decision-making process besides MLF because he sure F'd up the last DC decision.

Second, who do you think this "organziational leadership senior to MLF" includes, because my understanding is that only the collective Board of Directors and Team President Mark Murphy are "senior' to MLF, but I could be wrong.

Personally, i'd rather have Gute involved in the process than Murphy, but I certainly want someone questioning MLF's approach because I fear he is going to go the "safe" route with a Staley or another re-tread who motivates no one on the D.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If we hire Brandon Staley to be our DC I will have no control over how I react. I will not be responsible for the things I might do.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Staley did have the #1 D in yards and points in his lone season.

His hiring would make a ton more sense than Barry ever did.

But I would be underwhelmed and disappointed we just stick to the friend pool.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Although this is kind of funny, looking at what Staley and Barry did over the last 3 years together.

For anyone thinking we’d have any different type of strategy/scheme/results with Staley.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

Yup. He has proven his #1 pre-requisite is hiring his buddies.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

LombardiTime wrote:
29 Dec 2023 09:46
APB wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

First, I hope you are correct and that someone/anyone is involved with the new DC decision-making process besides MLF because he sure F'd up the last DC decision.

Second, who do you think this "organziational leadership senior to MLF" includes, because my understanding is that only the collective Board of Directors and Team President Mark Murphy are "senior' to MLF, but I could be wrong.

Personally, i'd rather have Gute involved in the process than Murphy, but I certainly want someone questioning MLF's approach because I fear he is going to go the "safe" route with a Staley or another re-tread who motivates no one on the D.
Let me preface this by saying that none of us really knows how decisions are made and who is or isn't involved. That said, I've hired and fired many people over my career and have also been involved in the interview process for senior management (above me) with various organizations (i.e. large and small). A hire like a new DC isn't done in a vaccum. To think that MLF or the Green Bay Packers are so inept that they don't involve multiple people in the process is just off base. MLF likely does, and should, have final say but that doesn't mean that he won't take input from his staff. This is just reality and how things typically work.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
29 Dec 2023 08:48

After the rookie QB gets NFC player of the week, I would be 100% in favor of hiring pop tart to coordinate week 18. Heck, just make the switch now.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
29 Dec 2023 10:45
lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:

Yup. He has proven his #1 pre-requisite is hiring his buddies.
:?:

He’s made 6 coordinator hires.

National Hackett, never coached with LaFleur before

Shawn Mennenga, zero past coaching interactions with LaFleur

Maurice Drayton, never coached with LaFleur before 2019, internal promotion.

Joe Barry, former colleague

Adam Stenavich, never coached with LaFleur before 2019, internal promotion.

Rich Bisiaccia, no former coaching interactions.

So that’s only 1 of 6 so far that would be deemed ‘his buddy’. So not sure about what he’s proven.