Packers Roster Cut Downs

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

I think you can put up to 6 guys with unlimited nfl experience on the practice squad. Wouldn't surprise me to see a few more vets on there this year.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Freewheelingutey wrote:
05 Sep 2020 14:14
I think you can put up to 6 guys with unlimited nfl experience on the practice squad. Wouldn't surprise me to see a few more vets on there this year.
To me the purpose of the practice squad is to keep players you think have potential. If you’re stashing a vet you’re probably well aware of what you have in said player.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

So, by my count we stand at 59 before final announcements are made. I believe 4, of those are pretty set due to injuries:

Roberts was cut, but Nijman made it as did Ento, for now.

Black is the one no one has any info on and would be a major surprise if he made the final cut.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
05 Sep 2020 15:03
Freewheelingutey wrote:
05 Sep 2020 14:14
To me the purpose of the practice squad is to keep players you think have potential. If you’re stashing a vet you’re probably well aware of what you have in said player.
That WAS the purpose of the practice squad and still is to an extent. The issue today is that those players with potential aren't usually ones who can play at the current time. Now, it can allow a team to stash a veteran who can come in for a game or 2, if a player goes out with COVID.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 05 Sep 2020 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Still 3/4 cuts to go that no one can figure out.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

https://www.packers.com/news/here-s-the ... man-roster

Fewest surprises I can recall in forever.

Glad to see Ento showed enough to stick around.

All draft picks made it other than Jake Hansen.

No UDRFA than i can see made it, don’t think I’ve ever seen that.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

QB (3): 12 Aaron Rodgers, 8 Tim Boyle, 10 Jordan Love

RB (4): 33 Aaron Jones, 30 Jamaal Williams, 28 AJ Dillon, 32 Tyler Ervin

Released: 22 Dexter Williams, 34 Damarea Crockett, 45 John Lovett

Reserve/non-football injury: 27 Patrick Taylor

WR (5): 17 Davante Adams, 13 Allen Lazard, 83 Marquez Valdes-Scantling, 19 Equanimeous St. Brown, 86 Malik Taylor

Released: 16 Jake Kumerow, 9 Darrius Shepherd, 82 Malik Turner, 84 Reggie Begelton

TE (4): 89 Marcedes Lewis, 85 Robert Tonyan, 87 Jace Sternberger, 81 Josiah Deguara

Released: 88 Evan Baylis

OL (9): 69 David Bakhtiari, 63 Corey Linsley, 65 Lane Taylor, 77 Billy Turner, 74 Elgton Jenkins, 71 Rick Wagner, 62 Lucas Patrick, 73 Yosh Nijman, 76 Jon Runyan

Released: 79 John Leglue, 64 Cody Conway, 68 Zack Johnson, 70 Alex Light, 67 Jake Hanson

Reserve/NFI: 72 Simon Stepaniak

DL (5): 97 Kenny Clark, 94 Dean Lowry, 96 Kingsley Keke, 95 Tyler Lancaster, 90 Montravius Adams

Released: 99 Willington Previlon

Waived/injured: 93 Treyvon Hester

ILB (4): 58 Christian Kirksey, 54 Kamal Martin, 42 Oren Burks, 44 Ty Summers

Released: 51 Krys Barnes

Reserve/PUP: 40 Curtis Bolton

OLB (5): 55 Za'Darius Smith, 91 Preston Smith, 52 Rashan Gary, 56 Randy Ramsey, 53 Jonathan Garvin

Released: 47 Tim Williams, 50 Tipa Galeai, 57 Greg Roberts, 45 Delontae Scott

CB (6): 23 Jaire Alexander, 20 Kevin King, 39 Chandon Sullivan, 37 Josh Jackson, 29 Ka'dar Hollman, 48 Kabion Ento

Released: 41 DaShaun Amos, 34 Stanford Samuels

Waived/injured: 49 Will Sunderland

S (5): 31 Adrian Amos, 26 Darnell Savage, 24 Raven Greene, 25 Will Redmond, 36 Vernon Scott

Released: 27 Henry Black

Spec (3): 2 Mason Crosby, 6 JK Scott, 43 Hunter Bradley
Who is going to IR? Martin. Who else?

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

Martin, Ento, Turner, Greene, Burks, M.Adams, Ramsey all are carry injuries of varying severity.

IR candidates is probably Martin and Ento. That will free up roster spots for two more players.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Not implying he earned being liked or respected, but it’s something how much Lafleur seemed to publically criticize Dexter last camp, and then now he is gone heading into year two. I don’t think lafleur has ever publically criticized a player as much as he did Dexter.

I thought he looked good enough in college to have a chance to show what he can do it the pros. I think his pass blocking ability prevented him from ever getting that opportunity in a game. Best of luck to the young man.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Sep 2020 20:23
Not implying he earned being liked or respected, but it’s something how much Lafleur seemed to publically criticize Dexter last camp, and then now he is gone heading into year two. I don’t think lafleur has ever publically criticized a player as much as he did Dexter.

I thought he looked good enough in college to have a chance to show what he can do it the pros. I think his pass blocking ability prevented him from ever getting that opportunity in a game. Best of luck to the young man.
I mean, he could still spend a year on our PS and then make the team next year, given everyone at RB is a free agent.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

So waiver claims are set at 4:00pm tomorrow, right?

Oh sorry, 3:00 pm central time. That's the 53 I'm always most interested in--24 hours after initial cuts

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

16 practice squad players per team. The waiver wire is going to be absolutely diluted of talent. There won't be anyone worth their salt left lying around to sign up to the main roster during the season.

As a result I think we are going to see very little waiver activity with the bulk of movement between the main roster and the practice squad. Essentially creating 32 Covid free bubbles with very little outside additions as the season progresses.

Since waiver talent is so diluted there's going to be little waiver activity I can imagine a big uptick in trades in order to facilitate outside player movement.

Anyway can you trade one player from one practice squad to another practice squad? or does the rules prevent this? I know if you sign another player off another team's practice squad you have to put him on your 53, if you want to put a player on the practice squad you will have to cut him and hope he passes through waivers unclaimed. I can't imagine trading players directly off one PS to another PS would be allowed. The problem with this is that the act of cutting the player places the player outside the protective 32 bubbles unless the team plans to put him directly on to the practice squad if he goes unclaimed- it will be as if he never left the bubble.

If he does unclaimed and a team does not put him on a practice squad immediately then he would truly be outside the 32 protective bubbles. He would have to follow the NFL rules of self isolating and testing before he is allowed back into the bubble and I can imagine teams wanting to avoid that hassle and lean on their practice squad players instead. The moment a player leaves the bubble could end some careers! Trading between practice squads could be the best temporary solution to ensure as many of the players as possible remain in the 32 bubbles.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Waivers come before you cam be signed to a PS. So the size of the squad has no impact on available talent in waivers right now. Being able to protect 4 PS players each week will dilute it.

The hard part about waivers is that there's no tape from preseason on anyone, not that less people are available.

I how we keep Lovett around on the PS. Color me intrigued on that guy, with time.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Sep 2020 07:47
keep Lovett around on the PS. Color me intrigued on that guy, with time.
Since Jordan Love won't be active on Sundays, I thought maybe Lovett would be the emergency QB3 - but we'll see if Lovett's even gonna be activated on gamedays
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ento and Martin onto IR.

Signed CB Parry Nickerson; he's a 3rd year guy who has bounced around PS and camps (Jets, Seahawks, Jaguars) for two years

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

This is not my idea ............. but I just read it and thought I would ask because it does beg the question: Should Gutey pick up a WR now?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
07 Sep 2020 17:50
This is not my idea ............. but I just read it and thought I would ask because it does beg the question: Should Gutey pick up a WR now?
I mean... nah?

We have 5 on the roster and 3 on the PS; we have plenty of bodies.

The thing about WR is that we've never been in need of an upgrade at WR3 or WR4. I dunno about WR5, but Malik Taylor beat out some guys who have been on NFL rosters (Kumerow, Malik Turner [who got claimed], and briefly, Shepherd).

If we need help at WR, it's at WR2. And there's no one sitting around on the street that can accomplish that.

At ILB, we may need a body until Kamal Martin gets healthy again--as a "just in case" backup, and that's the kind of role a guy off the street can fill.

At DT we need a run stuffer, and there are a couple bigger, established names out there (Dareus and Harrison), but also, that's a role that some guys off the street can fill at least as well as Lancaster, who is basically an experienced guy off the street.

We had Daylon Mack in for a visit, and while the Ravens gave up on him pretty early, he's a guy I remember liking for this specific role as a draftee. I think he had an injury his first year and maybe didn't show up to expectations upon returning? I dunno.

But I think adding a WR at this point would just be a possible guy to run around on ST, if that.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It's fun to see how much traits matter at the very bottom of the roster.

You look at a guy like Malik Taylor, who ran a 4.46 at 6'1, 225 pounds...

We added this guy Parry Nickerson, who mostly played STs for the Jets as a rookie, was traded to the Seahawks before his second season, eventually got cut and stayed on their PS, until moving to the Jaguars PS for the rest of last year, and then got cut by the Jags this year... but he ran a 4.32 at the combine, tied for the fastest.

Yosh Njimen barely practiced in camp after spending last year on the PS until he got injured; but his traits are jaw-dropping: 6'7" and 315, ran a 4.88 with a 4.50 shuttle--for reference, only Corey Linsley has a better shuttle time on our line; Bakhtiari (and Bulaga) ran 4.75 shuttles.

Then of course there's the WR we put on the PS from the Bills--one of three guys we have from outside the org including Nickerson, who similarly ran a 4.41 at the combine.