Defensive Coordinator Potential Candidates

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

APB wrote:
01 Jan 2024 21:46
I mentioned this blurb in another thread but these are probably some names to keep an eye on should another search for a new DC take place. MLF was intrigued enough to interview them before, I’d guess there’s still some interest.
LaFleur interviewed at least nine candidates to replace Pettine. According to sources, he interviewed Barry, Leonhard, Jerry Gray (Packers defensive backs coach), Chris Kiffin (Browns defensive line coach), Ryan Nielson (Saints defensive line coach/assistant head coach), Matt Burke (Eagles defensive line/run game coordinator), Chris Harris (Washington defensive backs coach), Ejiro Evero (Rams safeties coach) and Bob Sutton (Falcons senior assistant).
I would be curious to see if we could get Evero

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Hmmm... what about Matt Eberflus? If we win on Sunday, he would likely be canned (if he is going to be) by the time we begin prepping for our hiring window. I know he had a nice run in Indy and has seemingly turned the Bears D around, again.

I just can't picture the Bears bringing him back again, unless they make the decision to run it back with Fields. Assuming a new QB, I would think a new offensive regime implemented from the very top.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
05 Jan 2024 12:28
Hmmm... what about Matt Eberflus? If we win on Sunday, he would likely be canned (if he is going to be) by the time we begin prepping for our hiring window. I know he had a nice run in Indy and has seemingly turned the Bears D around, again.

I just can't picture the Bears bringing him back again, unless they make the decision to run it back with Fields. Assuming a new QB, I would think a new offensive regime implemented from the very top.
I thought I heard they committed to him for next year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

If available, yes, Eberflus would be a worthy candidate IMO. But reports say he is pretty safe with this late-season resurgence. I doubt losing to us will change their decision much either way.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
05 Jan 2024 12:38
If available, yes, Eberflus would be a worthy candidate IMO. But reports say he is pretty safe with this late-season resurgence. I doubt losing to us will change their decision much either way.
It would be their biggest, most important win in half a decade at least?

Losing that; everything gunna be back on the table.

If I’m getting a new QB at #1, I’m getting a new HC and OC for him personally. Worst thing you could do to Williams is suck for a year or two; then change coaches and have to get a new playbook, scheme, coaches, new footwork, timing, etc etc etc.

Kyle Brandt thinks it’s an important game too :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
05 Jan 2024 12:50
Labrev wrote:
05 Jan 2024 12:38
It would be their biggest, most important win in half a decade at least?

Losing that; everything gunna be back on the table.

If I’m getting a new QB at #1, I’m getting a new HC and OC for him personally. Worst thing you could do to Williams is suck for a year or two; then change coaches and have to get a new playbook, scheme, coaches, new footwork, timing, etc etc etc.

Kyle Brandt thinks it’s an important game too :lol:

Is Kyle related to any of the real Football Brandts? or just some has been HS player that got a journalism degree? :lol:

I think Chicago win or lose Sunday should do what DSR advised, there is no such thing as having to many good QB's, groom Williams for a season under Fields, then trade Fields, chances are he stays the same or improves which would increase his demand, and Williams would have a year for the game to slow down a bit for him

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
05 Jan 2024 12:50
Yeah I was thinking that too but I changed my mind vis-a-vis Eberflus.

I agree they should hit reset at QB, not that Fields is all that bad, but you have a shot generational talents (plural talent) at QB and Fields is not good enough to pass on that IMO, not to mention the other picks you have to build up the O supporting cast.

And normally yes that should be accompanied with a HC change, but Eberflus is a D-minded HC, so keeping him does not really mean much for a new QB. And his unit is performing pretty well, the players are still playing hard, so he has held up his end.

You could make a change at HC, but it's not really necessary. Let Eberflus stay and do his thing on D. Bring in a new OC for the QB. I have to imagine it will be an incredibly attractive opening, too, so they could attract a real rockstar coach there.

But I am getting the sense that CHI is just going to stick with Fields in the end, so...
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Also, I do not see Fields agreeing to stay and be a lame duck, bridge QB. If CHI drafts a QB in Round 1, he probably immediately demands a trade, which he knows will draw plenty of interested parties, and sits out until they deal him.
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
05 Jan 2024 13:33
Also, I do not see Fields agreeing to stay and be a lame duck, bridge QB. If CHI drafts a QB in Round 1, he probably immediately demands a trade, which he knows will draw plenty of interested parties, and sits out until they deal him.
Agree with that. If they draft Williams, I wouldn’t play a snap on my lame duck rookie contract.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
05 Jan 2024 13:36
Labrev wrote:
Agree with that. If they draft Williams, I wouldn’t play a snap on my lame duck rookie contract.
Whaaaa? hey, all u's guys said he sucked donkey balls, or even worse, :lol: now I'am to believe he's better then that, maybe I should revise my prediction of a blowout Sunday :thwap: :lol:

probably right, Fields will probably demand a trade, course when they lose Sunday, Eberflus could be fired and the Bears hire a Offensive guy as HC And Fields could very well increase his value under his schemes, course he could find that else where too

I'd add Eberflus to our DC list, Chicago's defense has done well while he's been there, and he's been around long enough that he'd have a good choice of assistants, need to read more about him for sure.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
05 Jan 2024 14:09
Whaaaa? hey, all u's guys said he sucked donkey balls, or even worse, now I'am to believe he's better then that, maybe I should revise my prediction of a blowout Sunday
Oh, he sucks donkey balls, for sure, but there just are not enough good QB's in the NFL for some team not to panic and throw some draft capital at Chicago. Atlanta makes so much sense.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I haven't been watching CHI but what I've heard is that Fields's play has improved. His passing has progressed to "decent" which when you add in what he can do with his legs makes him a legit challenge. The improvement is encouraging enough to believe he could take another step.

Also, his teammates love him. That is important for a QB, as we see with Love, and will make it understandably tougher for CHI to hit reset.
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

The Carolina Panthers have not scored a point since playing Green Bay. Closing in on 8 straight quarters.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Well, well, well...

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Word is he did not get along with the Giants head coach at all.

Obviously this one is intruiging. Which means it won't happen. :lol:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
05 Jan 2024 13:36
Labrev wrote:
Caleb Williams = Bo Callahan

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Barry coming back, get ready :)
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Falcons D was good this year. Their DC is pretty green with two years; should be freed up.

Notice Jerry Gray as their assistant HC- Defense. Why did we cut him loose again? Was there bad blood? Something went stale?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I don't think Wink is really a consideration for this team.

No matter what I or we may want, MLF has been pretty clear that he prefers a scheme that focuses on limiting big plays. That Joe Barry is bad at defense doesn't mean that the whole scheme and philosophy is out the window.

Wink is a pressure merchant. He brings it all the time. To me, I'm not sure the philosophies will mesh well enough to even score an interview or anything more than a cursory due diligence

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Jan 2024 21:46
I don't think Wink is really a consideration for this team.

No matter what I or we may want, MLF has been pretty clear that he prefers a scheme that focuses on limiting big plays. That Joe Barry is bad at defense doesn't mean that the whole scheme and philosophy is out the window.

Wink is a pressure merchant. He brings it all the time. To me, I'm not sure the philosophies will mesh well enough to even score an interview or anything more than a cursory due diligence
Wasn’t it you making the observation that since MLF committed to being more involved in the defense, it has gotten more aggressive and pressure oriented? Am I mistaken?

Regardless, it’s a valid observation. Perhaps MLFs philosophy is evolving. Perhaps he’s witnessed first hand the shortcomings of allowing an offense to dictate their success rather than forcing the issue with his defense.

Whatever the case, something has changed with this defense. If that change is a preference for a more aggressive scheme, then that fits with what Wink has done and had a lot of success with.