Tech Questions

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Packfntk
Reactions:

Tech Questions

Post by Packfntk »

There are a lot of people who are a lot more techy than I am. I have a question for you:

Is there a way to download a video off of youtube and save it? I cannot find any way. I googled it and tried a bunch of different sites and nothing worked. Is there a way, or am I wasting my time?
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
31 Mar 2020 10:56
There are a lot of people who are a lot more techy than I am. I have a question for you:

Is there a way to download a video off of youtube and save it? I cannot find any way. I googled it and tried a bunch of different sites and nothing worked. Is there a way, or am I wasting my time?
Sounds like you need to upgrade to YouTube premium except for select videos.
YouTube videos offline FAQs. In select areas, you can download certain videos from the YouTube mobile app to play offline. Learn more about how to download videos to watch offline. ... If YouTube Premium is available in your location, you can download videos to your mobile device by becoming a YouTube Premium member.
Generally, it doesn't sound good.
If you haven’t uploaded the video yourself, you can’t save it to a computer. You can download videos from the YouTube app to your mobile device only.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
31 Mar 2020 10:56

What video are you trying to download?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Brittish PcMag claims this is a good free software for downloading YouTube stuff. Haven't tried it myself, tho: https://www.4kdownload.com/products/pro ... downloader

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I wouldn't download any software for risk of malware or adware. There are online options out there, but Youtube has found a way to block copyrighted material such as songs. However, I have been able to find ways around that depending on the video.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Mar 2020 11:43
I wouldn't download any software for risk of malware or adware. There are online options out there, but Youtube has found a way to block copyrighted material such as songs. However, I have been able to find ways around that depending on the video.
I did google reviews and user experiences of 4k Video Downloader, and nobody seemed to have issues with malware nor ads. And didn't seem they ultimately force you into the premium version. I have zero need to download YouTube vids, so I won't be testing it out.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

salmar80 wrote:
31 Mar 2020 11:49
Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Mar 2020 11:43
I did google reviews and user experiences of 4k Video Downloader, and nobody seemed to have issues with malware nor ads. And didn't seem they ultimately force you into the premium version. I have zero need to download YouTube vids, so I won't be testing it out.
Ya, I do a ton for educational videos, for background video and music. Music is by far the hardest, but I almost always can get it to work.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

You can use picture and video capture software, I personally like Snagit. I record a lot of conferences at work so I can go back and rewatch parts if I need to. Although you would have to record your screen while playing the whole video and you can't really do anything else on your computer during that time, so not super practical.

There is software as well you can find, (hard to find sometimes), that will rip them into mp4's or other formats. They can be sketchy sometimes and I believe can get your YouTube (google) account banned if you get caught.

I actually think there are websites out there to, domiciled through sketch countries or via VPN, that will basically rerout YouTube videos through their site that will give you the option to save or rip them.

And then also YouTube premium, don't think its bad $. I actually like it for making music playlists (can just listen to videos without downloading the video, nice on your phone if you are on a limited data plan. And there is like 1000x more live videos on youtube you will never find on Spotify. And you can also upgrade to get your cable channels through youtube now as well, if you want to cancel your charter or slingtv or whatever cable service you are using these days.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

I figured it out, sorry for the delay. I actually signed up for Youtube Premium, and that will not allow you to save the video like I wanted. Junk.

I used an app called video saver. Several others did not work, but this was super easy. Thanks all for your help.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!