One Former Packers for this Game

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

One Former Packers for this Game

Post by lupedafiasco »

Got it from a Cowboys forum. If you could bring back any Packer at the peak of their abilities and put them in this game who would you choose?

I’m torn between Reggie and Nick Collins. We wouldn’t need Reggie necessarily but he was so dominant. Nick Collins I think fills the biggest need and in my lifetime I think he was by far the best Safety we ever had including Leroy. Collins was so dangerous on the back end.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

I'd take Herb Adderley to shut down CeeDee.

Tough to not pick Charles Woodson, Reggie White, Clay Matthews or Paul Hornung.

IT IS TIME!

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

lupedafiasco wrote:
13 Jan 2024 22:32
Got it from a Cowboys forum. If you could bring back any Packer at the peak of their abilities and put them in this game who would you choose?

I’m torn between Reggie and Nick Collins. We wouldn’t need Reggie necessarily but he was so dominant. Nick Collins I think fills the biggest need and in my lifetime I think he was by far the best Safety we ever had including Leroy. Collins was so dangerous on the back end.
Cool Topic.

2009 Defensive player of the year "Charles Woodson" an absolute game changing player.

BTW Nick Collins was awesome. A safety that could flat out fly. Too bad his career was cut short. I remember when the Packers drafted Collins. I was like "who the $%@# is this guy? Then, I saw his 40 time and was like....Well, he can run, thats for sure. He ended up being a really good football player and of course had the first huge play in the last SB win. :lol: "Nick Collins Baby"

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

I would take the best safety in Packer's history, Willie Wood. He made plays all over the field and NEVER missed a tackle. My second choice would be either Herb Adderly or Dave Robinson.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Based on a player for team need, I would go for a safety. And that would mean the best modern safety, Nick Collins.

Would not have a problem with Raymond Ernest Nitschke at ILB either. He was a better pass defender than he is remembered for.

Other alternatives: Julius Peppers, Herb Adderly, the Minister of Defense, Gale Gillingham at RG

But if we go with an expanded definition of "Packers", the one I would choose is not a player at all but Fritz Schumer

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Doesn't matter, actually adding a great player to our defense could be a curse, when Joe Barry has better secondary he becomes ultra conservative, poor ol Nicky Collins would occupy a space 40 yrds from the los, so I agree with Skeptic, bring in Fritz Schumer first, that way Collins, Adderly, a Willie Wood or Woodson could play up to there ability, for me safety or CB is our biggest need.

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

#15 was pretty good in big games! :lombardi: :lombardi: :lombardi: :lombardi: :lombardi:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Mason Crosby? lol

Nick Collins or Leroy Butler might the best positional upgrade, or just rather replacing our worst player.

But I mean. Just has to be Reggie White.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Spelling Lesson!! :rotf:

Herb Adderley 1964

Herb Adderley 1965

Herb Adderley 1966

Herb Adderley 1967

Herb Adderley 1968

Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 14 Jan 2024 08:36, edited 14 times in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Got it from a Cowboys forum.
Who were they picking?

Emmett?

Maybe a Nate Newton or Larry Allen?

They are strong at edge and CB, not maybe not the obvious Haley and Deion?

Maybe Irvin or Dez?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Lombardi was quoted as saying that Robinson was the best athlete that he ever coached.

I lean toward Reggie White because he was a generational talent for sure. Even the Bosa brothers and Watt brothers don't compare. That is saying something.

One guy that we don't appreciate enough was Sterling Sharpe. He had the size, speed, hands, route running, blocking, and really everything. Total package. If his career wasn't cut short, he'd have been in Canton long ago. Nobody could defend him.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Scott4Pack wrote:
14 Jan 2024 08:19
Lombardi was quoted as saying that Robinson was the best athlete that he ever coached.

I lean toward Reggie White because he was a generational talent for sure. Even the Bosa brothers and Watt brothers don't compare. That is saying something.

One guy that we don't appreciate enough was Sterling Sharpe. He had the size, speed, hands, route running, blocking, and really everything. Total package. If his career wasn't cut short, he'd have been in Canton long ago. Nobody could defend him.
We just need Watson to be 100%

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I wouldn't trust Barry to utilize Adderly, Woodson, or Collins to their greatest effect so I think, for this exercise, I'd go Reggie. Put him anywhere along the defensive front and he'll wreak havoc.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
14 Jan 2024 08:19

always thought Forrest Gregg was Lombardi's fav player :idn: whatever, I could see him liking Robinson and a few others people are mentioning here a lot as well.

actually I find this exercise near impossible to just pick 1 (one) player, so I want todays team to emulate Lombardi's 1962 Packers :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Woodson, especially if Jaire screwed up his ankle too much to play. I am cool with the Allentines on the boundary. Woodson shores up the nickel corner in coverage, can make plays on the ball, gives you a plus run defender, even a blitz threat. That would be huge against this high octane DAL offense.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
14 Jan 2024 08:18
lupedafiasco wrote:
Got it from a Cowboys forum.
Who were they picking?

Emmett?

Maybe a Nate Newton or Larry Allen?

They are strong at edge and CB, not maybe not the obvious Haley and Deion?

Maybe Irvin or Dez?
Emmett is the consensus. A few Deions, Irvins, and Allen’s crept up.

A few jokes from Packers fans that they wish it was Romo.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Cowboy fans could pick Adderly. He had part of his HOF career there too, not just GB.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yoop wrote:
14 Jan 2024 09:29
always thought Forrest Gregg was Lombardi's fav player :idn: ...
No, that's a myth; it was Hornung. Cliff Christl has effectively debunked it: https://www.packers.com/news/it-s-time- ... t-it-right
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi