Packers @ 49ers Divisional GDT: Saturday, January 20th, 2024, 7:15 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Jan 2024 14:36
I actually haven't seen much of the 49ers this year. Highlights, box scores mostly. I live in Maryland so I watched the Ravens BLOW THEM OUT

So I really don't have a good feel for strengths and weaknesses beyond just national media talking point level understanding.

I guess I'll be more of a listener in this week's thread than contributor, probably.
I truly believe the Ravens are the best team in the league right now.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

At this point, I'm still just chilling with the knowledge my Packers are providing me with another week of fantastic extra fun in January.

Let's go play another game of this real fun football and win it!

There's no titles on the line, the only shame in store is for the 49ers if they lose. Make ''em shake in their boots, like the Cowboys did.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Last I saw, the niners were 9.5 point favs. This basically means noone gives Green Bay hardly a chance or so the line makers seem to think. I like that. Let that be gasoline on our fire. We have the better QB and that means something. Personally, and I am a betting man at times, I would never take the niners - the 9.5. Thats a joke IMO. I may have to make a run to turtle lake again. :rotf:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I posted this in the Packers-Cowboys post-game thread but it’s actually more relevant here. The Vegas opening betting line and these “expert” analysts from ESPN again show the football world has zero belief the Packers can continue this run of high level play.

If you thought the Boyz figured on an easy victory, wait til you read how ESPN framed their initial divisional round match-up analysis:
Why the 49ers will win: Why won't they win? I can ask that question from now until the Super Bowl, because after the Packers dismantled the Cowboys, that left San Francisco without a major threat remaining in the conference. The 49ers are the best team in football, and they're the best team left in the NFC, by far.

San Francisco boasts the best trait a Super Bowl hopeful can have: the No. 1 offense (including the No. 1 passing offense). And it's by a lot. The Niners' 0.16 expected points added (EPA) per play was well ahead of the No. 2 team, the already-eliminated Dolphins at 0.12. Purdy is supported by an absurd set of playmakers in McCaffrey, Brandon Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel and George Kittle. Oh, and we're two paragraphs in, and I haven't mentioned the defense, with Nick Bosa, Javon Hargrave and Chase Young rushing the passer. The 49ers have so many strengths that they don't even need them all to click to win. -- Walder

Why the Packers will win: The flip side of all the compliments I bestowed on San Francisco is that they are all bad news for Green Bay. These two teams are not in the same league. But it's football. Things happen. The Packers could win, and it starts with Love -- not just because he's the quarterback but because of the type of quarterback he has evolved into over the course of the campaign. From Week 10 until the end of the regular season, Love finished second in QBR. The only signal-caller ahead of him? Dak Prescott, whom Love just outdueled in the wild-card round.

Defensively, even though the Packers have been disappointing all season, this is still a talented group. Could the Packers put it all together in their biggest game of the season? It remains possible. Turnovers, lucky bounces and an A-game from their defense are probably all necessary for the Packers to pull off this upset. But it could happen. -- Walder

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Gonna borrow some hope from our friend [mention]Raptorman[/mention] and share this little ray of sunshine:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Quay and McDuffie being healthy is going to be key in reigning in McCaffrey and Purdy. I'll feel better if both of them are ready to go.

Of course having Jaire would be huge as well.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

after the Packers dismantled the Cowboys, that left San Francisco without a major threat remaining in the conference.
I love how it does not occur to this journoid that if a team believed to be the only major threat gets 'dismantled' by another team, maybe that is because the latter team itself is a major threat?

No, Dallas just lost to a non-threat because "things happen" in football, turnovers like Darnell Savage undercutting a route for a pick-six or Jaire making a reflexive airborne INT are just random "things happening" not a reflection of skill or talent. LOL ESPN.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
15 Jan 2024 19:53
No, Dallas just lost to a non-threat because "things happen" in football, turnovers like Darnell Savage undercutting a route for a pick-six or Jaire making a reflexive airborne INT are just random "things happening" not a reflection of skill or talent. LOL ESPN.
Or preparation.

Disney killed ESPN, like it has killed so many other once great franchises.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

wallyuwl wrote:
15 Jan 2024 20:02
Labrev wrote:
Or preparation.

Disney killed ESPN, like it has killed so many other once great franchises.
No one wants news the way it’s presented by ESPN anymore. The model worked before the internet and twitter. Now I just want my news quickly about what I want to know and move to the next thing. I don’t want to watch some long ass over dramatic segment about &%$@ I don’t care.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
15 Jan 2024 19:49
Gonna borrow some hope from our friend @Raptorman and share this little ray of sunshine:

I mean, dak just threw over 400 against us. Stats don’t always tell the story.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I called the Dallas game from a week away. I said I felt sorry for Big Mike for what we were about to do to him and his coaching career. And I was right….

Do hope I’m not right about the niner game. Do hope that we are just even better than I imagine, and the niners are a little more beatable than I imagine.

I expect the party to end in San Fran, just like it has year after year.

But hey, I do believe in magic.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Labrev wrote:
after the Packers dismantled the Cowboys, that left San Francisco without a major threat remaining in the conference.
I love how it does not occur to this journoid that if a team believed to be the only major threat gets 'dismantled' by another team, maybe that is because the latter team itself is a major threat?

This is why I said this could turn out like the 2007 playoffs. NYG beat the Cowboys and these urinalists were saying the same dumb &%$@, not giving a second thought to the possibility that maybe the beloved Cowboys just got their ass kicked by a team that was a lot better. Period. I can only hope that SF is guilty of the same mentality.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Drj820 wrote:
15 Jan 2024 21:55
I called the Dallas game from a week away. I said I felt sorry for Big Mike for what we were about to do to him and his coaching career. And I was right….

Do hope I’m not right about the niner game. Do hope that we are just even better than I imagine, and the niners are a little more beatable than I imagine.

I expect us to compete in SF. I think it will be a close game, win or lose.

I may not look like the type of guy who has been in a dog fight, but I have been in my fair share of them south of the border. The most dangerous fighter is the one with the least to lose. That's us.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Papa John wrote:
15 Jan 2024 22:58
Drj820 wrote:

I may not look like the type of guy who has been in a dog fight, but I have been in my fair share of them south of the border. The most dangerous fighter is the one with the least to lose. That's us.
It doesn’t matter if you look like you’ve been in a fight or not. The right questions are can you fight and can you land shot that will make them remember you.

My whole life I’ve gotten into fights and my mentality is either I’m getting a knockout or I’m being the one getting knocked out but before people step in to clear it out I’m taking some teeth with me. I would say I’m undefeated.

That’s what we need. Come in here and look the 49ers in the face like the little punk pussies they are and tell them I like ya and I wants ya. Now we can do this the easy way or the hard way. The choice is yours.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Jan 2024 23:44
Papa John wrote:
15 Jan 2024 22:58
Drj820 wrote:

It doesn’t matter if you look like you’ve been in a fight or not. The right questions are can you fight and can you land shot that will make them remember you.

My whole life I’ve gotten into fights and my mentality is either I’m getting a knockout or I’m being the one getting knocked out but before people step in to clear it out I’m taking some teeth with me. I would say I’m undefeated.

That’s what we need. Come in here and look the 49ers in the face like the little punk pussies they are and tell them I like ya and I wants ya. Now we can do this the easy way or the hard way. The choice is yours.
I like this take.

Il also say I’ve noticed a higher level of intensity from Lafleur himself since the panthers game.

Maybe he’s learned and is growing. Maybe he’s learning that the team looks to him to set the tone. So when he is laid back, passive, and casual and thinking about play calls when we roll up to San Fran (like in the past), that this is a recipe to get our teeth kicked in.

But when he comes angry and intense, the team follows him.

I’ve noticed his demeanor and tone change the last month, I can’t help but wonder if this is an area he’s realized he needs to grow in.

I will say he’s doing better. And the mentality you speak of, is exactly what he needs to preach all week.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Jan 2024 00:07
Il also say I’ve noticed a higher level of intensity from Lafleur himself since the panthers game.
I've noticed that, too, but, then again, I expect exactly that from a coaching staff when making a push for the playoffs and then actually playing in a playoff game.

Anyway...

One thing I think could surprise us all is the defensive performance.

Sure, the 49ers have a lot of weapons on offense. The concepts, though, are very closely aligned with how the Packers like to attack. Who better to lend insight to devising a defensive script than MLF? And Barry would have to be completely dense to not have taken away some valuable lessons facing the same type offense in practice the past 3 years.

Purdy has proven to be a very capable QB, especially considering he was a R7 pick. That draft lineage, though, is also a reflection of his physical limitations. He is not an elite athlete. Capable, but not elite. He has also shown himself to be prone to mistakes if you're able to pressure him and fluster him. The Packers will need to generate consistent pressure from their front in order to force quick decisions from him. He'll generally make the right read and get the ball out, but he does make the mistake from time to time and when he does, it tends to snowball. He has only thrown an INT in 6 individual games, but has thrown multiple INTs in 3 of those games (MN -2, CIN -2, BAL -4; all losses). Forcing that first INT could be key.

My biggest worry is CMC, Samuel and Kittle over the middle of the field. Our LBs apparently allow an ~80% completion rate. At least that's what I read on a 49ers website. They're all YAC monsters, too, so limiting their receptions will be important. The defense has got to tackle them, though, once they do get their hands on the ball. None of this shoulder tackle nonsense. Hit and wrap. Get them down.

Anyway, I like our chances going into this one. I think we have better than a punchers chance at walking out with a win. We're rightfully underdogs but I think the way this offense is operating right now we can pull it off.

Packers - 31
49ers - 30

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

It was just over three weeks ago that the 49ers threw 5 INTs in one game.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

If you don't follow Christian Watson's dad on X/Twitter (@NFLHitman33), you need to. A former NFL player himself, that dude brings the heat in his exchanges with the Xperts out there. Fun follow.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
16 Jan 2024 06:49
My biggest worry is CMC, Samuel and Kittle over the middle of the field. Our LBs apparently allow an ~80% completion rate. At least that's what I read on a 49ers website. They're all YAC monsters so limiting their receptions will be important. The defense has got to tackle them, though, once they do get their hands on the ball. None of this shoulder tackle nonsense. Hit and wrap. Get them down.
soft cushion zone coverage has all of our DB's over 55% completions against, and our ILB's over 70% sorta deceiving since we've used tighter coverages for most games the last month, but they will all have to be at there best against the dinky dunky Niners

Barry will have to dial up some stunts and blitzes, getting some hits on Purdy, getting some free rushers on him early will set the tone for the defense, they have to many skill position warriors to allow him time to find them.

I think the Niners are the most balanced team we'll play, good to great in all aspects, but so are we, our offense is as hot as any in the league, and minus the 4th quarter against the boys Barry's defense has been down right stingy when the pass rush is dialed up, and we use tighter coverage. :mrgreen:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

CMC left last game with a calf strain. That would have been 3 weeks 3 from when we play them. Maybe that strain needs a month to heal 😁