Post-Game: 49ers 24 Packers 21

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 07:22
Drj820 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 07:16
Another year, another time where we have an obvious weakness that everyone knows will cost us come playoff time, and we do absolutely nothing about it but “pray” (per the head coach)

Whether it was drayton and the STs

Whether it was a terrible DL that couldn’t stop the run, when there were options to beef up the DL

Whether it was no help at WR behind davante Adams

Or this year…where the kicker has missed a kick in what-10 straight games? And we just pretended that wouldn’t cost us a game….when there are kickers on the street who could at least give Carlson competition…

that aspect was your “same ol Packers”
Carlson cost them a tie.
ya, well, this is still all your fault :lol: :lol:

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Well, we outplayed them for 3.5 quarters. Really did. Even with the youth, this team still shouldn't have lost. I don't get 2014 vibes, though I do get, strike while the iron is hot. and I agree. Seasons are so long, anything can happen and while things might look up, many teams have lost seasons that should be something else every year for all sorts of reasons. We were mostly healthy, we were hot, and we were beating handily our 2 biggest obstacles to get to the big game. It does hurt to drop it after battling and winning until the end. We should have won, I don't care what expectations where before hand, the team on the field was better, until they weren't.

Our offense was noticeably affected when Jones wasn't on the field and then when Tom went out, but those things happen. Love was good until the end, he tightened up big time and then i'm not sure what happened but those last 3 drives each saw some really bad passes that hurt us big time. A couple turnovers and a missed 3rd down. To say his accuracy took a hit would be an understatement.

I hate to end the year on that note, when he seemed to work through all of that and really be ascending. Now my last vision of him is that.

I'd blame special teams, but then they had a huge return that almost wasn't, and a blocked FG to keep SanFran from points to end the half.

I thought the defense played really well over all except they couldn't hang on to interceptions and at the end when we needed a stop they went right down the field for the go ahead score. Always seems to happen to us in big games.

we had so many opportunities to win this game and win it going away too, it's frustrating. Plenty of blame to go around.

Now they get to try and do it all again next year. I'm excited for what the offseason brings, just not ready for it yet.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
21 Jan 2024 07:30
APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 07:16
Another year, another time where we have an obvious weakness that everyone knows will cost us come playoff time, and we do absolutely nothing about it but “pray” (per the head coach)

Whether it was drayton and the STs

Whether it was a terrible DL that couldn’t stop the run, when there were options to beef up the DL

Whether it was no help at WR behind davante Adams

Or this year…where the kicker has missed a kick in what-10 straight games? And we just pretended that wouldn’t cost us a game….when there are kickers on the street who could at least give Carlson competition…

that aspect was your “same ol Packers”
Carlson cost them a tie.
Meh.

Blaming the loss on Carlson ignores the fact that his miss was only one of several missed opportunities that cost them the game. Saying “we should have brought in competition” does nothing to prove the outcome would have been any different.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 07:47
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

Carlson cost them a tie.
Meh.

Blaming the loss on Carlson ignores the fact that his miss was only one of several missed opportunities that cost them the game. Saying “we should have brought in competition” does nothing to prove the outcome would have been any different.
Gute, is that you? :lol: :lol:
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

Carlson cost them a tie.
Meh.

not saying another kicker would have made a difference.

this is exactly what we do after every loss, we justify the status quo and then say if only this guy made a pic, if only the QB did that, our best player dropped a TD pass, etc. etc. etc. there will always be multiple plays that if successful could/would change the outcome of those games, the goal though obviously is to have enough good plays so you can over come the bad, same with players.

we have to do better at eliminating the excuses, so bringing in another kicker to push Carlson seems a logical thing to do, hell try out 3 new guys every week, if ya don't roll the stone over you'll never find the gem under neath :idn:

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Oh man it was right there for the taking and GB couldn't close the door. We let them hang around and it came back to bite us. Really could have been up 10 plus.

The early bad spot on 4th down hurt.
Dropped picks hurt. Just catch one of them and it's a different story
A few easy throws Love missed
Lord the figgy

Not blaming one thing but these all added up. The GB kids went toe to toe with the big bad 49ers and for 3 of the 4 rounds were better. I will stand by that. SF was on the ropes and probably didn't think it was going to be this hard of a battle. Proud of these Packers. This reminds me of 09 season losing to the cards in that shoot out. It sucked but after the dust settles I felt the next years team was gonna be a real contender and look what happened

We need a safety that matters. I don't want to rely on the draft here. Get a vet. If somehow the bucs let Winfield walk you give him the bag. He changes everything. I'll take dugger also. These guys put us over the top

We need Jones back and RB depth. Keep him fresh all year for a playoff push. The draft can fill everything outside of safety.

2024 going to be the year. GPG

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:09
APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Meh.

this is exactly what we do after every loss, we justify the status quo and then say if only this guy made a pic, if only the QB did that, our best player dropped a TD pass, etc. etc. etc. there will always be multiple plays that if successful could/would change the outcome of those games, the goal though obviously is to have enough good plays so you can over come the bad, same with players.

we have to do better at eliminating the excuses, so bringing in another kicker to push Carlson seems a logical thing to do, hell try out 3 new guys every week, if ya don't roll the stone over you'll never find the gem under neath :idn:
I fully expect a kicker competition next year.

The only realistic and viable move this season, though, was to bring Crosby back but he was already signed to the NYG PS. And when they used him, he struggled. He missed 2 of 3 attempts beyond 40 yds and also missed an XP. Statistically, he was worse than Carlson.

The thing is, it’s not just the kicker that caused this loss. That’s a simpleton take. That, or it’s a weak attempt at reinforcing a “same ol’ Packers” narrative that is equally lazy. Some posters like to focus on the simple, though. I guess it’s a means of coping. To each their own.

I’ll close with a nice summary from Mr. Same Ol’ Packers favorite blogger:

But muh, we should’ve brought in competition for Carlson. :roll:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:24
Oh man it was right there for the taking and GB couldn't close the door. We let them hang around and it came back to bite us. Really could have been up 10 plus.

The early bad spot on 4th down hurt.
Dropped picks hurt. Just catch one of them and it's a different story
A few easy throws Love missed
Lord the figgy

Not blaming one thing but these all added up. The GB kids went toe to toe with the big bad 49ers and for 3 of the 4 rounds were better. I will stand by that. SF was on the ropes and probably didn't think it was going to be this hard of a battle. Proud of these Packers. This reminds me of 09 season losing to the cards in that shoot out. It sucked but after the dust settles I felt the next years team was gonna be a real contender and look what happened

We need a safety that matters. I don't want to rely on the draft here. Get a vet. If somehow the bucs let Winfield walk you give him the bag. He changes everything. I'll take dugger also. These guys put us over the top

We need Jones back and RB depth. Keep him fresh all year for a playoff push. The draft can fill everything outside of safety.

2024 going to be the year. GPG
I’m with ya. This team is already on equal footing with the conference’s best. Shore up some trouble spots, add the experience gained, and look out!

As far as safety position, I too prefer to add a plug-and-play veteran (add Chinn to your list) but I’d also like to see a safety selected with a day 1/2 pick. Need to get that back-end fortified with some actual players, not feel good stories.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

This Packer team from 2023 is a very good team. It took way too long to get there, but considering what they built with, it was superb.

This team did not "choke" last night. They played their hearts out. In the end, they had a let down. We can't say this team over-achieved since Thanksgiving and then say that they choked against what might be the best or second-best team in the NFL. They played above the mean these past few weeks and that includes last night.

I was most impressed in the third quarter. Once we tipped the FG at the end of the first half and then got their offense off the field at the start of the third, I was thinking that we would pull it out. Was really starting to believe at that point.

Give credit to the Niners. They made the plays at the end of the game that we didn't. They deserved the W, even by the smallest of margins.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Yes this year was successful based on expectations. The big assumption we're all making us that Love and our young players will learn from this and improve.

But a little voice in my head keeps saying what if it's the coaching? So even though the players improve is MLF good enough to win these big games? So far he's the constant in all these recent playoff losses. Hope I'm wrong and he learns with them.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:29
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

Meh.

The only realistic and viable move this season, though, was to bring Crosby back but he was already signed to the NYG PS. And when they used him, he struggled. He missed 2 of 3 attempts beyond 40 yds and also missed an XP. Statistically, he was worse than Carlson.

The thing is, it’s not just the kicker that caused this loss. That’s a simpleton take. That, or it’s a weak attempt at reinforcing a “same ol’ Packers” narrative that is equally lazy. Some posters like to focus on the simple, though. I guess it’s a means of coping. To each their own.

Thought we were buddies, I sensed a tone in that post that says you hate me.

Il just refer to Kelly Johnson, former lead engineer at Lockheed Skunk Works…the place where the spy plane was invented. He said, KISS or Keep It Simple Stupid.

If there is ever an area of a team when the confidence level of the head coach in that area is: “say a prayer”, and there are options available to improve the area…I would suggest attempting to do so…to move to higher level of confidence than “prayer”. Is it simple? Yes, but most things break down to simple forms.

The process is as easy as this:

Position group: Running back
Confidence of position group: pray they can block and make a play if Aaron Jones is hurt
Question: is there a running back on the street worth seeing if they can improve the position group while Jones is out.
Answer: why yes, or maybe…Kenyon Drake is available
Action: bring in Kenyon Drake and see if he can help. Remove him when Jones comes back 100% or Wilson.

Or

Position group: safety
Confidence level in group: pray they don’t get beat over the top by George kittle
Question: is there a safety we can bring in right now who can help?
Answer: No
Action: continue to pray and do the best we can

Position group: kicker
Confidence level: pray he doesn’t screw up
Question: is there a kicker on the street who can be obtained that could move the position group out of “prayer” range.
Answer: maybe, let’s bring in several and test them out. Lots of kickers on the street every year looking for work
Action: try out a new kicker every week until Carlson improves

Simple can be good 👍🏼
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote: Thought we were buddies, I sensed a tone in that post that says you hate me.
Don’t manifest your emotional frailties on me, bro…

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:24

From your keyboard to God's ears ... count me in on hoping and praying that Gutey brings in a veteran safety difference maker this offseason.

The window to win is in 2024 and 2025 while the rest of the NFC looks to be down, the receiving weapons are on their rookie deals, and hopefully Jordan's cap hit is not as great as it is going to be down the road.

For that reason, I want an infusion of veteran defensive help if at all possible.

I don't care if Gutey also drafts one in rounds 1-3, but this team needs a smart, aggressive veteran safety who ALREADY knows what he is doing in the worst way. The plays are there to be made and, other than that glorious pick 6 in Dallas, Savage just does not make them. The others are just guys.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:29
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

Meh.

Crosby is the only well known name out there, as I said and I'am sure of, there are others WE fans don't know of, also just because Crosby didn't do well with the Giants PS doesn't mean he wouldn't or couldn't do better elsewhere, when players do better elsewhere all the time

and the list Herman has happens in every game, again the goal has to be whittling down that list, and that only happens when you try, we didn't and our kicker again cost us points, that and the insanity of thinking that Rasul Douglas wouldn't have mattered because he wasn't the one that dropped those pics, when Douglas was known as a great motivator to others, and it's no stretch to think he he could have lessoned some of the tightness we saw in our defense,, it's never the weight that tips over the apple cart, it's just the bad wheel. jmo :|

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:46
Don’t manifest your emotional frailties on me, bro…
wow is it possible for you to be more condescending? DrJ just made common sense and thats your answer.

reality is everything he just said is what should have been done.

take off the green and gold eye wear

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:40
Haha I totally agree 2014 was WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY worse

I think this has 2014 “vibes” because we were the better team for so much of the night. Most years we just get out muscled and it feels over early.
The only years we got outmuscled early was 2012, 2016 an 2019

The far more common outcome is we play the better game but missed opportunities or unlikely turnovers end it

2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2020, 2021, 2023 is a much longer list of painful ways to end the season.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

As for the list… there was no way of knowing any of that was going to happen going into the game.

The one thing on there with a high probability was Carlson missing a kick that should have been automatic.

Unfortunately we learned nothing from 2021. There was one obvious glaring hole which had to do with STs. The most frustrating things is hearing the fans say, “we all knew this could have happened.” In my opinion if we all know it’s a problem it should have gotten fixed.

Opportunity knocked but yet again when we are just a piece away Gutenbumst did nothing. I think he has actually strung together two great years of roster building but this was a huge blunder to me. Especially if next year we bring in competition and Carlson is let go. The development growing pains who be a waste.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Meh.

I'm sorry but what would "bringing competition" do?

They hardly practice this time of year and at the end of the day you have to decide to bring out Carlson or the new guy.

The only strategy I could have gotten behind was telling Carlson that Mason handles everything inside 45 and Carlson handles everything else. But then you have to figure out who to inactivate. Even Crosby wasn't a great option as he missed a game winner in New York vs the Rams.

There wasn't much to be done about excuses. Come playoff time you have to trust your players can catch balls and make basic plays. John Lynch did with his team too and it bit him. The 9ers did a lot of bad things. Blocked kick. Dropped balls. Poor throws. Slipped on coverage routes.

And yet Lynch is this "higher caliber" compared to Gute? I just wish the ball bounced our way a bit more in these games.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jan 2024 09:03
Drj820 wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:40
Haha I totally agree 2014 was WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY worse

I think this has 2014 “vibes” because we were the better team for so much of the night. Most years we just get out muscled and it feels over early.
The only years we got outmuscled early was 2012, 2016 an 2019

The far more common outcome is we play the better game but missed opportunities or unlikely turnovers end it

2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2020, 2021, 2023 is a much longer list of painful ways to end the season.
I lack the memory now to recall each of the under lying reasons we lost those games, thing is mistakes are almost always the reason teams lose games, saying we beat ourselves is almost always true, and teams work extra hard to eliminate the chance of that occurring, did we do enough, obviously not enough or we would have won at least a few of those games, including that one last night, we lacked due diligence.

I felt that early in the season concerning our OL, felt it when we didn't even attempt to bring in a vet receiver, felt it all along concerning Joe Barry, my early impression was that this was a throw away season, the major concern it seemed to me was to find out if Jorden was good enough or would we have to draft again for another prospect, When we traded Rasul it seemed like a logical conclusion, maybe thats what lite a fire in the players, cause if the FO and coaches seemed content to just let the season play out, the players didn't, to me trading rasul while upsetting, seemed to be the spark the players needed.
I guess I'am tired of hearing excuses, fans can use that to cover for any loss, it's a cop out. :idn:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jan 2024 09:29
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

Meh.

I'm sorry but what would "bringing competition" do?

They hardly practice this time of year and at the end of the day you have to decide to bring out Carlson or the new guy.

The only strategy I could have gotten behind was telling Carlson that Mason handles everything inside 45 and Carlson handles everything else. But then you have to figure out who to inactivate. Even Crosby wasn't a great option as he missed a game winner in New York vs the Rams.

There wasn't much to be done about excuses. Come playoff time you have to trust your players can catch balls and make basic plays. John Lynch did with his team too and it bit him. The 9ers did a lot of bad things. Blocked kick. Dropped balls. Poor throws. Slipped on coverage routes.

And yet Lynch is this "higher caliber" compared to Gute? I just wish the ball bounced our way a bit more in these games.
what are you talking about? competition is what drives players, and we certainly could have brought in and worked out kickers :thwap:

like luck, ya have to create some of those bounces :lol: