Post-Game: 49ers 24 Packers 21

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

None of these teams will beat the Ravens. I always say I’d rather lose in the playoffs than the Super Bowl. Our window starts a year earlier than we all thought. Some fine tuning in the offseason please and we’ll be fine.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
21 Jan 2024 09:41
None of these teams will beat the Ravens. I always say I’d rather lose in the playoffs than the Super Bowl. Our window starts a year earlier than we all thought. Some fine tuning in the offseason please and we’ll be fine.
we where never suppose to compete with Dallas, any given Sunday the worst team in the league can and have upset the best, know one knows if the Ravens will even be playing in the SB, it's just a educated GUESS :idn: :lol:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

packman114 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:42
Yes this year was successful based on expectations. The big assumption we're all making us that Love and our young players will learn from this and improve.

But a little voice in my head keeps saying what if it's the coaching? So even though the players improve is MLF good enough to win these big games? So far he's the constant in all these recent playoff losses. Hope I'm wrong and he learns with them.
LaFleur is also the constant who got the Packers into the playoffs 4 out of 5 years and has the second most coaching victories of all coaches during that time. LaFleur is also the constant to took this bunch of young guys and turned them into a playoff contender in about three months time.

If people want to look at MLF's failures, fine. But look at the entire picture while you're at it.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I'm wanting to give a shout out to Fred Warner. Yeah, he's on the other team. But I think that guy had more impact on the game than anybody else. He was always making tackles and forcing Love to alter his passing trajectory with his deep drops. Truly a great player.

On our side, Kenny Clark might've played his best game of the season too. He was forcing the LOS to shift and regularly put pressure on Purdy. No telling how many incomplete passes from Purdy were the direct or indirect result of Kenny's effort. Some other guys were definitely there too. But Clark's 97 kept popping up.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I would've really loved to have seen us win and move on to a rematch with the Lions (assuming they beat the Bucs). I do think that would be a great matchup now.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Jan 2024 09:56
packman114 wrote:
Yes this year was successful based on expectations. The big assumption we're all making us that Love and our young players will learn from this and improve.

But a little voice in my head keeps saying what if it's the coaching? So even though the players improve is MLF good enough to win these big games? So far he's the constant in all these recent playoff losses. Hope I'm wrong and he learns with them.
LaFleur is also the constant who got the Packers into the playoffs 4 out of 5 years and has the second most coaching victories of all coaches during that time. LaFleur is also the constant to took this bunch of young guys and turned them into a playoff contender in about three months time.

If people want to look at MLF's failures, fine. But look at the entire picture while you're at it.
Marty Schottenheimer got his teams to the playoffs every year too. I didn't say MLF sucked but when you continually have similar outcomes in the playoffs maybe he is part of the problem. Shanahan falls into that same category in my opinion. Some coaches are just better in big games.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Sucks to be so close to winning this one. We were right there. For this team to be there should mean good things for the future. This experience was invaluable. Make some changes, add some pieces and I like where we are at.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

packman114 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 10:06
Scott4Pack wrote:
packman114 wrote:

Marty Schottenheimer got his teams to the playoffs every year too. I didn't say MLF sucked but when you continually have similar outcomes in the playoffs maybe he is part of the problem. Shanahan falls into that same category in my opinion. Some coaches are just better in big games.
Agreed. But sometimes the HCs simply confront a superior foe. This could be said about this Packer team against this Niner team. Could’ve been said the previous two times they met as well. And if the Niners play the Ravens in the SB and lose, the same could be said about that. Then, some people will say that Shanahan is a “constant” part of the problem of not winning the big games.

I’m not going to suggest there isn’t merit to that. But I will suggest that there’s always more to the picture. Even Belicheck lost three Super Bowls. The only HC that I know of who only seemed to have completely overcoming results was Vince Lombardi. Every body else has had some degree of failure in the playoffs, if they got to the playoffs at all.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

williewasgreat wrote:
21 Jan 2024 05:42
texas wrote:
21 Jan 2024 01:25
APB wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:57

:lol: :lol:

Shame you? I said some takes were hilarious. And they are.

Same old Packers? Choked another season away?

If you came away from this game thinking this is just another loser Packer team, that’s hilarious to me. These kids played their hearts out and achieved more than any of us dreamed they would. Sure, they came up short as many young teams often do but they never backed down from the challenge and arguably outplayed the mighty 49ers. On a short week. On the road. In the rain.

Be disappointed. But save the whiny, snively, “same old Packers” talk for your psychiatrist. These Packers are ballers and are just getting started.
Sorry, they choked. They're the ones that need psychiatrists because they all played their worst when the pressure was highest. Offense, defense, and kicker: all had their worst play come at the end, despite coming into the stretch run with a lead. That's pretty much the definition of choking, and it's what the Rodgers-era Packers teams did repeatedly. We still have his losing aura. Maybe we'll shake it off but tonight was the same old Packers, despite how great of a season this was overall and how much room they have given us for optimism going forward.

You see it frequently: a young team heats up toward the end of the season, makes the playoffs (or doesn't), get beaten relatively early, then comes back the next year and dominates. 2012 Seahawks, 2022 Eagles, 2018 Niners, 2009 Packers come to mind. We could do that. But it doesn't change the fact that for right now, we still are weak losers who didn't make the tough plays that the opponent did make.
That's called learning what it takes to win. It's not choking. 2014 was choking. These comparisons to that 2014 team are ludicrous! Look at the better Packer teams of the past. They all needed to learn to win in big games. The 1960 Packers lost the championship but learned what it takes to win. The 1996 Packers had to learn this lesson by losing to Dallas in the big game. I hated losing this game that should have been won and I get that these kinds of chances don't come along that often, but this doom and gloom attitude is hard to understand.
I agree with the point about teams sometimes needing to heat up and losing before going on a run, which is why I made that exact point in my post.

Doesn't change the fact that what they did was pretty much the definition a choke. They had a lead, and then played their worst at the end of the game, in dramatic fashion, resulting in a loss.

Maybe if you are trying to stretch it, you can say that they need to "learn not to choke" or something like that, but the fact is that they choked yesterday.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheGreenMan wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:51
MY_TAKE wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:39
TheGreenMan wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:29

This team was playing with house money. The expectations didn't start building until last week for most of us.

2014. Dead in the center of prime Rodgers era where it was Superbowl or bust. And ended up being the worst collapse in playoff history.

Not saying they didn't have a chance, but nobody was talking Superbowl this year.
Many said the last couple weeks this season kind of reminded them of 2010. It did to me also in some ways. I thought they had a great chance to win this game after the cowboy game. Anyone that didn't totally underestimated the team then. Because this team that lost today is a top 3 NFL team and if they had closed the deal today I would have loved their chance next week to go to the dance.
I hear you. But as stated, the believing didn't start to snow ball until after we beat Dallas.

I can maybe... maybe see 2010 vibes. Except the defense was for real. And had leaders in Matthews, Woodson, and Collins. There's not a soul on this defense that has anything on those guys.
:aok: :clap:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:16
go pak go wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:12

I am going to be emotional. This one downright pisses me off. I think I'm most pissed at the football gods now.

Why do they hate us?
Being emotional is cool for fans. APB shouldn’t have tried to shame us. We all know it was a good year overall

If you came away from this game thinking this is just another loser Packer team, that’s hilarious to me. These kids played their hearts out and achieved more than any of us dreamed they would. Sure, they came up short as many young teams often do but they never backed down from the challenge and arguably outplayed the mighty 49ers. On a short week. On the road. In the rain.

Be disappointed. But save the whiny, snively, “same old Packers” talk for your psychiatrist. These Packers are ballers and are just getting started.
:clap:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:59
APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Being emotional is cool for fans. APB shouldn’t have tried to shame us. We all know it was a good year overall

Kids?

This is pro football.
This roster was the youngest in the entire league so yes, kids.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Acrobat wrote:
Every week teams beat teams they “shouldn’t beat”. I’d rather have the opportunity to try, than not. Every time.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:
20 Jan 2024 23:12

I am going to be emotional. This one downright pisses me off. I think I'm most pissed at the football gods now.

Why do they hate us?

This kind of reminds me of the Erin Andrews/Richard Sherman NFCCG postgame interview. People were upset at Sherman's behavior. But honestly, what did we expect when they threw a camera in his face seconds after the game ended. When you log onto a team's forum minutes after that team lost the game, you're going to see venting.

Also, Dr. J is correct. They are adult professional football players. And it was a choke. Forget what you know about this season and expectations and just think about what they needed to do to win that game. They didn't make easy plays that were served to them on a silver platter.

So, yes I agree with you that they are young and that the future is bright. But it will be better for them in the long run to hold them accountable, and not to infantilize them. So pop the tit out their mouth and don't be afraid to tell "the kids" when they done $%@# up.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Papa John wrote:
21 Jan 2024 12:29
APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

This kind of reminds me of the Erin Andrews/Richard Sherman NFCCG postgame interview. People were upset at Sherman's behavior. But honestly, what did we expect when they threw a camera in his face seconds after the game ended. When you log onto a team's forum minutes after that team lost the game, you're going to see venting.

Also, Dr. J is correct. They are adult professional football players. And it was a choke. Forget what you know about this season and expectations and just think about what they needed to do to win that game. They didn't make easy plays that were served to them on a silver platter.

So, yes I agree with you that they are young and that the future is bright. But it will be better for them in the long run to hold them accountable, and not to infantilize them. So pop the tit out their mouth and don't be afraid to tell "the kids" when they done $%@# up.
Thought the young players did fine.

It was the vets in Savage and Nixon who really dropped the opportunities.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:36
This Packer team from 2023 is a very good team. It took way too long to get there, but considering what they built with, it was superb.

This team did not "choke" last night. They played their hearts out. In the end, they had a let down. We can't say this team over-achieved since Thanksgiving and then say that they choked against what might be the best or second-best team in the NFL. They played above the mean these past few weeks and that includes last night.

I was most impressed in the third quarter. Once we tipped the FG at the end of the first half and then got their offense off the field at the start of the third, I was thinking that we would pull it out. Was really starting to believe at that point.

Give credit to the Niners. They made the plays at the end of the game that we didn't. They deserved the W, even by the smallest of margins.
Any game in any sport it comes down to which team (or individual like golf for example) makes the fewest mistakes wins. As much as this one stings the future for us is damn bright. I hope Baltimore hammers the 9ers should SF find a way to get in the SB this year.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

packman114 wrote:

Like Yoop brought up earlier, this team reminds me of 2009. We went to AZ as underdogs and if not for a missed facemask who knows ? The guys will learn from this just like that squad did back in Rodgers' early years starting.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

LombardiTime wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:56
Backthepack4ever wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:24

We need a safety that matters. I don't want to rely on the draft here. Get a vet. If somehow the bucs let Winfield walk you give him the bag. He changes everything. I'll take dugger also. These guys put us over the top
From your keyboard to God's ears ... count me in on hoping and praying that Gutey brings in a veteran safety difference maker this offseason.

The window to win is in 2024 and 2025 while the rest of the NFC looks to be down, the receiving weapons are on their rookie deals, and hopefully Jordan's cap hit is not as great as it is going to be down the road.

For that reason, I want an infusion of veteran defensive help if at all possible.

I don't care if Gutey also drafts one in rounds 1-3, but this team needs a smart, aggressive veteran safety who ALREADY knows what he is doing in the worst way. The plays are there to be made and, other than that glorious pick 6 in Dallas, Savage just does not make them. The others are just guys.
From what I'm hearing this incoming draft is not that strong for safeties so Gute may have to look at FA to bolster that position.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
21 Jan 2024 09:48
Acrobat wrote:
we where never suppose to compete with Dallas, any given Sunday the worst team in the league can and have upset the best, know one knows if the Ravens will even be playing in the SB, it's just a educated GUESS :idn: :lol:
Baltimore shows no real sign of weakness. On Christmas day they smoked the 49ers in California 33-19. They beat Detroit 38-6 in October. They destroyed the Texans yesterday. This isn't the year I'd want to face that juggernaut in a SB.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Jan 2024 10:40
packman114 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 10:06
Scott4Pack wrote:

Agreed. But sometimes the HCs simply confront a superior foe. This could be said about this Packer team against this Niner team. Could’ve been said the previous two times they met as well. And if the Niners play the Ravens in the SB and lose, the same could be said about that. Then, some people will say that Shanahan is a “constant” part of the problem of not winning the big games.

I’m not going to suggest there isn’t merit to that. But I will suggest that there’s always more to the picture. Even Belicheck lost three Super Bowls. The only HC that I know of who only seemed to have completely overcoming results was Vince Lombardi. Every body else has had some degree of failure in the playoffs, if they got to the playoffs at all.
And 2 of those loses were to an Eli led Giants team. :P