Great Season! Greater next year!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Cdragon
Reactions:

Great Season! Greater next year!

Post by Cdragon »

Here's to the Pack who took major strides in a build year. We've got a QB. Not only a QB but a top of the line man. We've got a young and cheap receiving corps who just got a ton of experience as they destroyed opposing defenses. Our OL is playing well. Goodbye Bak. We've got Aaron Jones for another year. This O will rip teams apart next year.

We've got a D that if called properly can slow down or stop some of the best in the business. Get a S and a MLB and we'll be top 5 next year.

Take back the division next year and plow through the playoffs. :lombardi: On the horizon!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

We have a lot of great foundation.

Areas of improvement:

Defensive Coordinator - still think this is necessary

Swing Tackle

Right Guard

Center

Middle of the back end of defense (ILB and Safey)

Slot CB

The next person to spell Aaron Jones
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I can't put my thoughts together yet. Better for now to say that the 2023 Packers overcame and realized how good then can be. And maybe 2024 will be better. We certainly think so!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jan 2024 12:52

Areas of improvement:

Swing Tackle

Right Guard

Center

Slot CB

Yup. This is the list.

And honestly, it's a really really easy list to accomplish. Like if you hand a GM that list he'd be like "seriously? That's it? Some starters at low-value positions and depth? A coaching change from the worst D coordinator in the league to not-the-worst? Sweet. Let's do it."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jan 2024 17:13
go pak go wrote:
21 Jan 2024 12:52

Areas of improvement:

Swing Tackle

Right Guard

Center

Slot CB

Yup. This is the list.

And honestly, it's a really really easy list to accomplish. Like if you hand a GM that list he'd be like "seriously? That's it? Some starters at low-value positions and depth? A coaching change from the worst D coordinator in the league to not-the-worst? Sweet. Let's do it."
I haven't found many draft crushes yet. I do like Tyler Nubin. He looks like a baller and unafraid of contact.

But I do really want to invest in a free agent this year. There are two guys I am targeting:

1. Antoine Winfield Jr (Bucs ain't letting him go)

2. Jeremy Chinn - this is my guy. He was my guy in 2020 and I think he can have a career resurgence

I haven't found that typical 2nd round slot CB in the draft. There are a few RBs I like. I am really intrigued by that Oregon RB.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jan 2024 17:27
I haven't found many draft crushes yet. I do like Tyler Nubin. He looks like a baller and unafraid of contact.
Yeah, my draft knowledge is just barely coming into the picture now, since we've had such fun football to keep watching.

I like Nubin so far, too. I'd like to draft one high, one late, and sign a starter. Chinn seems like a good fit--though he may not be an ideal fit in his current scheme and we'll probably try to sign his DC as our DC, so not sure. Dane Brugler just mocked Jaden Hicks to us (one pick after Nubin). My priority in the secondary are people with the football IQ/instincts to thrive. We have a ton of elite athletes and I love that about us. But both at ILB and at S, we need someone who truly just knows/feels 'ball

Here's his write-up of each
40. Washington Commanders (from CHI): Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota
Minnesota’s all-time leader in interceptions, Nubin is an alert, athletic safety who plays like a wide receiver when the ball is in the air. If the Commanders don’t re-sign Kamren Curl, Nubin would be a perfect replacement.

41. Green Bay Packers (from NYJ): Jaden Hicks, S, Washington State
Hicks (6-2, 215) is an intimidating presence with the way he fills or tunes up receivers crossing the middle. But his athletic profile is also a strong selling point and helps his versatility to play nickel, box or deep.
I'm into the Oregon and WVU Centers, also, as picks that could go at 25 or 41 or 58 (Oregon 25 or 41; WVU 41 or 58). Some people like the Duke LT as a C prospect as well.

The only ILB I'm into so far is an older, oft-injured prospect, Payton Wilson from NC St I think. He's the full package but maybe made of glass? A risk, for sure, but worth a gamble that his body holds up in the late 3rd

The RBs I'm going to wait until the combine. There's a lot you can know about RBs without the athletic testing, but to get the explosive athlete we need, the testing will be key (Aaron Jones was a top-5 finisher at every agility drill at the combine aside from 40-yard dash, where his 4.56 was plenty serviceable)

Anyway, great season, Great things coming. And an easy to-do list that should be fun to discuss and research for all offseason.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I want Xavier McKinney if the Giants let him walk. He’s young so I think they keep him but for me he’s the second best safety in this FA class. I’m not a fan of Chinns. I don’t think he’s been that great and he’s not a playmaker.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:51
I want Xavier McKinney if the Giants let him walk. He’s young so I think they keep him but for me he’s the second best safety in this FA class. I’m not a fan of Chinns. I don’t think he’s been that great and he’s not a playmaker.
Anybody open to reuniting with Micah Hyde?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 21:50
lupedafiasco wrote:
I’ve been thinking about this myself. He turns 34 next season. He’s coming off an injury year a season ago, missed some time this year too, and PFF hasn’t been a fan for 3 years.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
21 Jan 2024 22:42
APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 21:50
lupedafiasco wrote:
I’ve been thinking about this myself. He turns 34 next season. He’s coming off an injury year a season ago, missed some time this year too, and PFF hasn’t been a fan for 3 years.
He was voted AP2 in 2021. Injured last year. Missed some time with injuries this year, too, but played well when healthy. Still a playmaker, too.

I’m intrigued by him, but only on a short term deal, obviously. Would love him as a mentor to a draft pick.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

The Packers in Love's first year as a starter have done better than they did with either Favre or Rodgers. And they did it with a younger team.

There is no reason to believe that if that 49'ers game were replayed, the Packers would not win. It was an even game. Put that game in Lambeau or a year from now or Tom not getting hurt and the Packers win easily. I don't gamble but if I had to put money on the team I thought will win the SB a year from now, it would be the Packers.

As far as the offseason, they have several decisions, JRJ, Dillon, Savage, Nixon and Bo Melton. None of them are going to break the bank to keep. I'd keep JRJ as the backup interior lineman, both guard spots and backup center. His only problem is that he is too small to start at RG, it is not his best position. With the others, it depends on the price as they should be backups.

That leaves a draft with an extra 2nd rounder and an extra 3rd rounder to find 2 starting safeties, a swing tackle and a slot CB.

Do something so that Watson does not have hammy problems next season. Fix Jaire's shoulder. Hope that Stokes can still play.

The big decision is Barry. Can he be trusted to be the DC he was at the end of the season (with a few fixes) or will he revert to what he was in the middle of the season? Can the Packers find a DC in the college ranks who is an upgrade - because I am not convinced that any of the coaches in the NFL are an upgrade. Those other coaches did not do well in the playoffs or at the end of the season.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Jan 2024 03:24
The Packers in Love's first year as a starter have done better than they did with either Favre or Rodgers. And they did it with a younger team.

There is no reason to believe that if that 49'ers game were replayed, the Packers would not win. It was an even game. Put that game in Lambeau or a year from now or Tom not getting hurt and the Packers win easily. I don't gamble but if I had to put money on the team I thought will win the SB a year from now, it would be the Packers.

As far as the offseason, they have several decisions, JRJ, Dillon, Savage, Nixon and Bo Melton. None of them are going to break the bank to keep. I'd keep JRJ as the backup interior lineman, both guard spots and backup center. His only problem is that he is too small to start at RG, it is not his best position. With the others, it depends on the price as they should be backups.

That leaves a draft with an extra 2nd rounder and an extra 3rd rounder to find 2 starting safeties, a swing tackle and a slot CB.

Do something so that Watson does not have hammy problems next season. Fix Jaire's shoulder. Hope that Stokes can still play.

The big decision is Barry. Can he be trusted to be the DC he was at the end of the season (with a few fixes) or will he revert to what he was in the middle of the season? Can the Packers find a DC in the college ranks who is an upgrade - because I am not convinced that any of the coaches in the NFL are an upgrade. Those other coaches did not do well in the playoffs or at the end of the season.
The one thing we need to be fair about is SF also didn't have Deebo who is an absolute game changer.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The one thing that really concerns me moving forward is the team won’t make the tough decisions to set this team up for a SB. We saw at the end of the Rodgers era Gutenbumst continuously pushed money on bad players and kept them around instead of just moving on. Dean Lowry, Billy Turner, Kevin King, Merdcedes Lewis, etc. they were guys that should have been gone and replaced but we kept pushing money.

I hope we don’t do that moving forward. You’ve gotta move on from Bak and Campbells contracts. The dead cap will hurt but only for a year. It’s better to get out from under it now especially when there are capable players to take over for them already on the roster.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Jan 2024 09:51
The one thing that really concerns me moving forward is the team won’t make the tough decisions to set this team up for a SB. We saw at the end of the Rodgers era Gutenbumst continuously pushed money on bad players and kept them around instead of just moving on. Dean Lowry, Billy Turner, Kevin King, Merdcedes Lewis, etc. they were guys that should have been gone and replaced but we kept pushing money.

I hope we don’t do that moving forward. You’ve gotta move on from Bak and Campbells contracts. The dead cap will hurt but only for a year. It’s better to get out from under it now especially when there are capable players to take over for them already on the roster.
The Campbell contract is easy. The Bak contract gets compliacated with the injury thing. Bak has to be medically cleared to be released, traded, etc.

If Bak isn't medically cleared, he then has to go on either IR or the Non-Football injury list and await an injury settlement.
Yoop wrote:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 08:24
TheSkeptic wrote:

The one thing we need to be fair about is SF also didn't have Deebo who is an absolute game changer.
True but it would have been nice to have Watson at 100% and Dillon on that failed 4th down sneak. We have seen so little of Watson at 100% this year that we forget just how good he is at 100%. Basically he has not been 100% for even 1 game this season.

Not to mention Bakh who was more valuable than Deebo ever will be - and Bakh has taken a huge chunk of salary cap this season, cap that could have
bought anyone except a few QB's in this league.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I didn't realize Campbell still has two more years under contract. I thought his deal was up now.

If he's still under contract, I am fine with him coming back in August, but he really has to play for his job IMO.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Jan 2024 10:02
go pak go wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

True but it would have been nice to have Watson at 100% and Dillon on that failed 4th down sneak. We have seen so little of Watson at 100% this year that we forget just how good he is at 100%. Basically he has not been 100% for even 1 game this season.

Not to mention Bakh who was more valuable than Deebo ever will be - and Bakh has taken a huge chunk of salary cap this season, cap that could have
the point Skeptic is that Deebo would have made Joe Barry look even worse, if thats possible, and we did enough on offense even without Watson, or Bakh to win, minus Barry allowing that 4th Q comeback win as the Niners accomplished minus Deebo :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Jan 2024 10:02
go pak go wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

lol

Dillon converting a 4th and 1.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
22 Jan 2024 10:09
I didn't realize Campbell still has two more years under contract. I thought his deal was up now.

If he's still under contract, I am fine with him coming back in August, but he really has to play for his job IMO.
Yeah he signed a 5 year deal. I agree that bringing him to camp in August might not be a bad idea. See if it truly was "health" issues or if we got hoodwinked by one good year.

Releasing him is about a wash in terms of dead cap and actual cap hit.
Yoop wrote: