What are you reading?

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

Lots of nice recommendations discussed here. Some read by myself some not. I too have always enjoyed reading. Going way back, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a favorite. On the lighter side this is a good read…
Enjoy!!
Enjoy!!
IMG_4494.jpeg (588.28 KiB) Viewed 13350 times
Another author that will make you laugh out loud (like on an airplane) is Bill Bryson. Two notable titles are shown below.

Now I don’t agree with Mr. Bryson’s political disposition, but he is a very humorous writer.

More recently, I’ve been reading different authors bios on Galileo. I’ve always enjoyed wondering and thinking about, how did historical figures like Galileo reach their conclusions. Fascinating stuff.
Attachments
IMG_4495.jpeg
IMG_4495.jpeg (494.61 KiB) Viewed 13350 times
IMG_4496.jpeg
IMG_4496.jpeg (611.64 KiB) Viewed 13350 times
GO PACK GO!!!

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

I've started reading again. Got Hatchet and The Lord of the Flies. Haven't read either after high school.

So then I bought Trail of Tears. Looks interesting.

Then I bought Man's Search for Meaning, waiting for them to ship out.

Then this started the whole thing. I went and bought "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany." Now, if someone would have told me that this one was 1150~ pages...I'd probably still have gotten it.

I'll be starting this shindig sometime next week or so.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Should be required reading for everyone by age 13.

https://cdn.mises.org/anatomy-of-the-state.pdf

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

BF004 wrote:
23 Dec 2023 07:10

Is that it or is it like a preview?

I have to say, I only read in 9th grade and 12th grade. Rest of it was poetry and all that crap. 9th grade I read The Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm, I think one more. 12th grade was not Hamlet but the other one, and Fahrenheit 451. My mom read all those other books like The River, Bridge to Terrabithia (or however you spell it), quite a few others.

It's weird coming back from a stroke. Even weirder after getting left out on the floor for 12 hours and they finally let you in. I could talk for hours I feel, but I could only get like a quarter of it out. Up from <1% before.

Anyways...what was I saying?
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Trudge wrote:
23 Dec 2023 17:05
BF004 wrote:
23 Dec 2023 07:10

Is that it or is it like a preview?

I have to say, I only read in 9th grade and 12th grade. Rest of it was poetry and all that crap. 9th grade I read The Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm, I think one more. 12th grade was not Hamlet but the other one, and Fahrenheit 451. My mom read all those other books like The River, Bridge to Terrabithia (or however you spell it), quite a few others.

It's weird coming back from a stroke. Even weirder after getting left out on the floor for 12 hours and they finally let you in. I could talk for hours I feel, but I could only get like a quarter of it out. Up from <1% before.

Anyways...what was I saying?
We have no Earthly idea, but please tell us more. If this isn’t the place to get these thoughts and feelings out then this isn’t a place I want to be.

Read More. Post Less.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

So far, it truly is one of the best books I have ever read. A masterpiece. Every time I go back and read something from one of the iconic authors of the pre-television era (like Steinbeck or Dickens), I am dumbfounded. It is their ability to be so descriptive without being dull that leaves me in awe. Steinbeck was ahead of his time.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Papa John wrote:
22 Jan 2024 19:24
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

So far, it truly is one of the best books I have ever read. A masterpiece. Every time I go back and read something from one of the iconic authors of the pre-television era (like Steinbeck or Dickens), I am dumbfounded. It is their ability to be so descriptive without being dull that leaves me in awe. Steinbeck was ahead of his time.
I was supposed to read that over the summer prior to senior year for AP Lit. Didn't read it and dropped the class.