Green Bay Packers' News - 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
24 Jan 2024 15:21
The guy is 54% from over 40 yards.

So much for the smartass takes about how Gute should have just had a better kicker than Carlson on the roster. 'Still waiting to find this mythical better kicker, or the tree from which they are grown in abundance (this take is not an endorsement of Carlson... I have to spell that out because people here are not very bright).
SNIP< SNIP<SNIP
the kicker we have averages 1 plus misses a game, just because there going to bring in one just as inconsistent hoping one will pan out doesn't let them off the hook for not doing anything once we became a contending level of team, your acceptance for mediocrity doesn't seem very bright either. losers stand pat, Winners find alternatives

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Jan 2024 15:37
Packers sign Anders Carlson to give completion for Anders Carlson...

It's like spaghetti, ya take a couple out of the boiling water , throw it against the wall, if it doesn't stick, ya wait a season, and repeat :lol:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
24 Jan 2024 16:12
your acceptance for mediocrity doesn't seem very bright
Labrev wrote:
(this take is not an endorsement of Carlson... I have to spell that out because people here are not very bright)
It's sad when I disclaim things to preempt predictable stupid replies... and even then it does not stop some people. :thwap: Some bulbs are dim, others are burnt out, LOL.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Labrev wrote:
24 Jan 2024 16:26
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
(this take is not an endorsement of Carlson... I have to spell that out because people here are not very bright)
It's sad when I disclaim things to preempt predictable stupid replies... and even then it does not stop some people. :thwap: Some bulbs are dim, others are burnt out, LOL.
LOL yep, when I read yoop's response, I had to giggle at the complete miss of your disclaimer and then doubles down with an insult. Never change,...yoop....never change...

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
you basically supported not doing anything unless some one provided a list of available kickers, as though we'd know, thats what it seemed you endorsed, doing nothing, how is that not endorsing Carlson? more double talk.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The Carlson thing is real. We need to be better.

But I do think the whole "we should have brought in Mason Crosby" as if Crosby didn't get cut by the Rams for missing a game-winning kick a few weeks ago--the Rams who had 4 different kickers this year.

As if five of the eight teams in the playoff this week didn't miss their own FG.

I get it, we need him to be better. We'll bring in competition.

But to act like there are just competent reliable kickers sitting around all over the place waiting for a playoff team to call is absolute horse-hockey

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Jan 2024 17:23
The Carlson thing is real. We need to be better.

But I do think the whole "we should have brought in Mason Crosby" as if Crosby didn't get cut by the Rams for missing a game-winning kick a few weeks ago--the Rams who had 4 different kickers this year.

As if five of the eight teams in the playoff this week didn't miss their own FG.

I get it, we need him to be better. We'll bring in competition.

But to act like there are just competent reliable kickers sitting around all over the place waiting for a playoff team to call is absolute horse-hockey
The reason I was okay with bringing Mason is Carlson has an inverse relationship with FG ease and Completion %.

Mason missed a longer kick. As a rule your old vets can be relied upon to make Xtra points and FGs...at least at a higher level than Carlson showed the last 6 weeks or so.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
24 Jan 2024 17:35
The reason I was okay with bringing Mason is Carlson has an inverse relationship with FG ease and Completion %.

Mason missed a longer kick. As a rule your old vets can be relied upon to make Xtra points and FGs...at least at a higher level than Carlson showed the last 6 weeks or so.
Sure, I'm just pointing out that LOTS of teams have trouble with kickers; lots of teams have done some rotating K situation on their rosters this year,. And Crosby couldn't keep a job.

I get the specific situation and how it maybe could have worked, but there's no way to know we'd be any better. And the evidence around the league is that finding a quality kicker is really hard.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Jan 2024 17:39
go pak go wrote:
24 Jan 2024 17:35

Sure, I'm just pointing out that LOTS of teams have trouble with kickers; lots of teams have done some rotating K situation on their rosters this year,. And Crosby couldn't keep a job.

I get the specific situation and how it maybe could have worked, but there's no way to know we'd be any better. And the evidence around the league is that finding a quality kicker is really hard.
Absolutely. Kickers are getting more scarce. The price tag continues to go up and draft values are also rising for kickers as a result.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
24 Jan 2024 17:17
Labrev wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
you basically supported not doing anything unless some one provided a list of available kickers, as though we'd know, thats what it seemed you endorsed, doing nothing, how is that not endorsing Carlson? more double talk.
No list, one player. Just one single, solitary player that would appreciably improve upon him.

You can't name one, because they don't exist. That's not because Carlson is so good, but because there is a dire lack if good kickers on the market, such that half the NFL has to roster pretty bad ones.

It is not an endorsement because it means I am in favor of replacing him if there's a player that would be an appreciable improvement, otherwise it's pointless.

What good is saying "he shouldn't have been in the roster" if you can't name a kicker who could have taken his place and been better? It's just unintelligent hand-wringing.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Jan 2024 15:37
Packers sign Anders Carlson to give competion for Anders Carlson...

Lost in this tweet is the fact this dude hit at a 94% clip at anything inside 40 yards. That’s a lot of FGs and XPs made.

Just go for it on 4th down on any play outside 40 yd FG range. Problem solved.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Labrev wrote:
22 Jan 2024 12:14
Downside: MLF is a control freak and will intervene if he does not like how you are calling the defense.
This is almost funny in that it is so off the mark?
Last edited by JKB on 24 Jan 2024 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

packman114 wrote:
22 Jan 2024 16:09
I find it hard to believe that the DC decision is 100% on MLF. Just as the coaches give opinions to Gutey I would bet Yoop's life that Gutey and Murphy are at least giving their opinion. Remember at one of Gutey's preseason press conferences he said that the expectations were high for our defense. No way they let this go without having some say on it.
Murphy has nothing to do with it

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Last edited by Pckfn23 on 25 Jan 2024 08:09, edited 2 times in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Clark was a full time disruptor in 2023

Gary was a part time disruptor in 2023

If we can get Gary to full time disruptor, that will be very good for the next DC.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

2023 Pressure Ranking via PFR:
Gary - 23rd
Clark - 37th
Smith - 50th
Wyatt - 86th
Van Ness - 129th
Enagbare - 139th
Brooks - 165th
Walker - 201st
Wooden - 240th
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

JKB wrote:
24 Jan 2024 19:40
packman114 wrote:
22 Jan 2024 16:09
I find it hard to believe that the DC decision is 100% on MLF. Just as the coaches give opinions to Gutey I would bet Yoop's life that Gutey and Murphy are at least giving their opinion. Remember at one of Gutey's preseason press conferences he said that the expectations were high for our defense. No way they let this go without having some say on it.
Murphy has nothing to do with it
you don't know that.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 08:09
2023 Pressure Ranking via PFR:
Gary - 23rd
Clark - 37th
Smith - 50th
Wyatt - 86th
Van Ness - 129th
Enagbare - 139th
Brooks - 165th
Walker - 201st
Wooden - 240th
top money at position, 23rd in pressures, got a link?

sorry phone call interuption, I asked hoping to find pressure numbers for all those players, plus team totals
Last edited by Yoop on 25 Jan 2024 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gary would have games where he would disrupt non stop, and games where we couldnt even tell if he had arrived at the stadium. Im hoping next year he shows up to the stadium for every game.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

@MIN and CHI games were both not good games for him. The only other 0 pressure game was MIN.