Green Bay Packers' News - 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 08:22
Gary would have games where he would disrupt non stop, and games where we couldnt even tell if he had arrived at the stadium. Im hoping next year he shows up to the stadium for every game.
Yeah he seemed to completely disappear after the Thanksgiving game.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jan 2024 08:44
Drj820 wrote:
Gary would have games where he would disrupt non stop, and games where we couldnt even tell if he had arrived at the stadium. Im hoping next year he shows up to the stadium for every game.
Year 1 back from an ACL. It's a pretty common tale. I hoped we would find a little extra gas down the stretch, but I think he was running on empty. I think he will be an absolute force next year.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
yep, 6 sacks in 2 games, 3 more in the next 15 games, Gary gets pushed out and his loop arounds are to deep to have affect, I expect his knee is still on his mind and why we didn't see counter moves from him, just guessing, right he needs to start finishing and getting more sacks.

Clark was this seasons DL hero again, but like what I saw from Wyatt and certainly LVN, Brooks, and Wooden, get Enagbare back, possibly even keep Smith along with a more healthy Gary, what DC prospect wouldn't love to inherit this group :)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I am afraid Gary has gotten on that Kenny Clark career trajectory.

You always see the flashes, you see top end pro-bowl/all-pro potential, but just invisible too often. Every year you are hoping on that breakout, and just seemingly every year it is filled with excuses why it didn't happen.... But next year!!

Guessing he is who he is, probably never quite live up to that contract.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 09:38

You always see the flashes, you see top end pro-bowl/all-pro potential, but just invisible too often. Every year you are hoping on that breakout, and just seemingly every year it is filled with excuses why it didn't happen.... But next year!!

Year out from ACL. Might be a bit early for projections. Next year will be telling either way.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 09:40
BF004 wrote:

Year out from ACL. Might be a bit early for projections. Next year will be telling either way.
I'd love to be wrong, but just feel like we've seen this and I think it's important to be honest with ourselves (front office, not us). That he isn't a game-wrecker, he isn't all-pro quality, he isn't Bosa or Watt, and we shouldn't expect him to be. When we are building our team, our defense, our scheme, our game-plans, I think you have to realize he is an above average to good starter, and probably nothing more, and build around that. If we are banking on him to be more impactful than he can be, we will end up disappointed yet again.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jan 2024 08:44
Drj820 wrote:
He did and I think that was a huge problem for us. Preston was our best edge player down the stretch and our interior guys became our best pass rushers.

Im hoping Gary just busted his ass so hard in rehab to come back on time that he was just burned out. It usually takes players a full season playing after an ACL tear to return to form. He needs to be like he was the first half of the season and we need a big step from LVN who looked to come on when given more opportunities as the season went on. Hes still incredibly raw but has the potential to be a physical freak off the edge.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 09:44
Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 09:40
BF004 wrote:

I'd love to be wrong, but just feel like we've seen this and I think it's important to be honest with ourselves (front office, not us). That he isn't a game-wrecker, he isn't all-pro quality, he isn't Bosa or Watt, and we shouldn't expect him to be. When we are building our team, our defense, our scheme, our game-plans, I think you have to realize he is an above average to good starter, and probably nothing more, and build around that. If we are banking on him to be more impactful than he can be, we will end up disappointed yet again.
100% gotta be honest. He definitely fell off at the end of the year. Is that due to ACL recovery or who he is? Not sure yet. My expectations for next year are that he is more impactful.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I want the next D-Coord to use our EDGE guys with a hand in the dirt. I feel like Gary, LVN, and Smith all are way better suited to a three-point stance than standing up, that their game as power-rushers works way better when you attack the OL from the former rather than the latter position.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

up/down isn't what makes a edge rusher affective, it's the ability to shed,, recover and close jmo

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
25 Jan 2024 09:57
I want the next D-Coord to use our EDGE guys with a hand in the dirt. I feel like Gary, LVN, and Smith all are way better suited to a three-point stance than standing up, that their game as power-rushers works way better when you attack the OL from the former rather than the latter position.
It depends on the player. I think more defenses should put their EDGE rushers in a position they are most comfortable in. 3 point has the advantage of leverage and first step power, but it does lack in use of hands and vision. Some guys can't transition from 3 point to using their hands very well, which can put them in a bad spot. The ability to do either effectively, especially with our bigger EDGE guys would definitely be a benefit.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gary Gang down bad right now
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 10:23
Gary Gang down bad right now
according to Mike Smith, edge rusher is a grooming position, :rotf: :rotf:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Does Mike Smith know what a blitzer is?
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jan 2024 10:17
Labrev wrote:
25 Jan 2024 09:57
It depends on the player. I think more defenses should put their EDGE rushers in a position they are most comfortable in. 3 point has the advantage of leverage and first step power, but it does lack in use of hands and vision. Some guys can't transition from 3 point to using their hands very well, which can put them in a bad spot. The ability to do either effectively, especially with our bigger EDGE guys would definitely be a benefit.
Exactly! It depends on the individual.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ringo must be head of the selection committee.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

new QB
youngest team in the league
youngest receiver group in the league
overtly stubborn DC
depleted secondary
inconsistent Kicker.

and still took the team to the playoffs with a win over 2nd rated team in conference.

seems if your going to win this ya need player awards to boot ya over the top.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I'm reserving judgement on Gary until I see him with a better DC.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

What if Gary consistently gets "only" 9 sacks per year going forward?

Would we gripe that he doesn't get 10+ and rank amoung the "giants" at Edge?

I'm looking at the whole thing. I do think that he gets more pressures than the majority. And if he gets the 9 sacks/year, that all adds up. He holds the edge against the run better than Zadarius did.

Maybe he isn't elite. But pretty good is still pretty good. I think he will be fine.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Jan 2024 17:40
What if Gary consistently gets "only" 9 sacks per year going forward?

Would we gripe that he doesn't get 10+ and rank amoung the "giants" at Edge?

I'm looking at the whole thing. I do think that he gets more pressures than the majority. And if he gets the 9 sacks/year, that all adds up. He holds the edge against the run better than Zadarius did.

Maybe he isn't elite. But pretty good is still pretty good. I think he will be fine.
I wouldn’t complain about that if he played the run better. Brandon Graham hot double digit sacks once but he was the definition of a total player on the edge by stopping the run and forcing pressures.

Gary was downright awful this year containing QBs and stopping the run.
Cancelled by the forum elites.