Packers DC Search

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

I'll keep resetting poll as we interview more.

Brandon Staley
8%
Bobby Babich
8%
Aden Durde
No votes
Christian Parker
8%
Chris Harris
17%
Zach Orr
8%
Denard Wilson
50%

Total votes: 12

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
28 Jan 2024 00:56
go pak go wrote:
27 Jan 2024 20:36
Yoop wrote:
27 Jan 2024 19:25

then why are the most sought after usually guys that have been around longer?
Conservatism.

But look at what happened when the Rams took a shot on a young guy named McVay....

And then the cards started falling after that. Fortunately for the Packers, we were on the leading edge of that coaching tree with MLF and it worked out pretty well.

Well...except for Ringo.
Eh, idk.

I think there is a big difference between defense and offense. Innovation doesn't play as much of a role because defense is reactionary to whatever the offense can scheme up. I think that's why you see the young smart guys go to offense, generally, and why you also see the offensive head coaches significantly outperform the defensive guys nowadays.

I don't really think the nature of defense lends itself to us getting some Xs and Os whiz kid who is going to come in and revolutionize the game of football. Rather, we just need a guy who will use the players in the right spots, teach them enough so that the communication on the field rarely falters, hire the right position coaches, and fire up the guys.
I couldn't have said it better :aok:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
28 Jan 2024 06:22
texas wrote:
Eh, idk.

I think there is a big difference between defense and offense. Innovation doesn't play as much of a role because defense is reactionary to whatever the offense can scheme up. I think that's why you see the young smart guys go to offense, generally, and why you also see the offensive head coaches significantly outperform the defensive guys nowadays.

I don't really think the nature of defense lends itself to us getting some Xs and Os whiz kid who is going to come in and revolutionize the game of football. Rather, we just need a guy who will use the players in the right spots, teach them enough so that the communication on the field rarely falters, hire the right position coaches, and fire up the guys.
I can go both ways on this. The defensive mind that best solves the Shanahan tree offense will become a revelation and spawn their own trendy tree like the McVey hire did.

As the young Xs and Os wizzes take over the league, a call for a schematic answer is needed. Just like the Tampa Two or Seattles’s Cover Three looks got hot and had big runs of success. The Tampa Two solved the West coast offense as it existed in the nineties.

Innovation begets an innovative response. But if you choose to go with something already more established, I agree with your perspective. But it does take one.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

After thinking about it, I'm calling BS on the Parker rumors.

The NFL has a very traditional and rules orientated process of interview and hiring practices so therefore it is predictable.

Green Bay are a traditionally run and classy organisation. They don't do weird things, they're boring and by the book, they follow and respect the rules and trust their internal processes.

NFL teams hire head coaches and coordinators after a second interview and there has been no chatter of us doing second interviews with any of our known coaching candidates.

Not only that, only four candidates have been known to be interviewed so far. That is no way thorough enough for Green Bay. They would do their due diligence by turning over every rock, proceed to second interviews and then make the hire.

If they do suddenly hire someone then I can only think of one scenario, that some point during the season Barry and LaFleur got together and agreed amicably to part ways at the end of season but also gave LaFleur his blessing to have an early head start with the interview process (presumably after the regular season) so they are actually much further along the interview process than we all thought. The only problem I have with this is it would've surely have been leaked, not by us but from other teams and agents. You can't hide that. Since there has been no leaks we can rule this scenario out and continue to call BS on the Parker rumors.

When a team want an interview I believe they (out of respect) ask for the team's permission first and then they must submit an interview request with the NFL which is then passed on to the relevant team to formalise the process. The NFL list all interviews requests on their website and whether it is scheduled or completed:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-coaching-g ... ring-cycle

The Packers only have two names on their list, Babich and Parker. I assume they are face to face interview requests and they don't count zoom interview requests. There's no sign of it being scheduled or completed. It doesn't appear they are that far along their interview process.

Edit: It's possible the list may not be up to date. Rapoport, who works for NFL network and NFL.com, has said we HAVE interviewed Parker (26th). Garafolo who works for NFL network has said we only submitted an interview request for Babich (26th). Schefter has said we were meeting Staley (26th) so that must've been a zoom interview otherwise he would be on the list. ESPN Todd Archer said we asked for permission to interview Durte (26th).

All these tweets were made on the same day just two days after Barry was fired. My god it only been four days...we definitely have not made a job offer to Christian Parker. That would be so unPacker-like of us.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jan 2024 20:00
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jan 2024 15:34
This is the post creating all the hubbub:
Ya, as time passes this is becoming more and more unlikely.
Or is it…?

Admittedly, I have no idea who either of these two are or how credible their “sourcing” is.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
28 Jan 2024 07:42
Pckfn23 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jan 2024 15:34
This is the post creating all the hubbub:
Or is it…?

Admittedly, I have no idea who either of these two are or how credible their “sourcing” is.
They are both cheesehead tv affiliates, so I would say this is either going to increase that operation’s credibility, or destroy it for me.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Jan 2024 07:57
APB wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Or is it…?

They are both cheesehead tv affiliates, so I would say this is either going to increase that operation’s credibility, or destroy it for me.
I've read Cheesehead TV and never heard of em, I think as Chili said, Lafleur has only 2 interviews scheduled so far and 4 or 5 names on a list, so for anyone to say so and so has the job is very premature :idn:

wizard 87
Reactions:

Post by wizard 87 »

Those two are the only folks talking about Parker getting the job, not one peep from the beat writers or talking heads who normally have a bead on this kind of hire. :dunno: :idn:

I would think ML will go through his full list and then whittle it down to a couple of finalists before pulling the trigger. None of the Ravens guys are available until after today so??

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Jan 2024 06:52
Yoop wrote:
28 Jan 2024 06:22
texas wrote:
Eh, idk.

I can go both ways on this. The defensive mind that best solves the Shanahan tree offense will become a revelation and spawn their own trendy tree like the McVey hire did.

As the young Xs and Os wizzes take over the league, a call for a schematic answer is needed. Just like the Tampa Two or Seattles’s Cover Three looks got hot and had big runs of success. The Tampa Two solved the West coast offense as it existed in the nineties.

Innovation begets an innovative response. But if you choose to go with something already more established, I agree with your perspective. But it does take one.
we basically copied the Swartz/ Cleveland game plan to stop Shanahan, and where on course for success, then we backed off the last 10 minutes and allowed the Niners some momentum, Swartz and Cleveland didn't, and won

stop the run, use tight man coverage, get constant pressure hopefully with only 4 man rush, thats the ticket, I seriously don't think there is a magic formula, to beat Shanahan, ya simply have to be more aggressive then he is, he's deceptive, so you have to be just as deceptive, simple 4 man rushes wont destroy that OL, ya have to be creative with stunts and blitzing, if your secondary is prone to mistakes in zone coverage then just play man, however that takes talented DB's, to me a offense as well rounded as the Niners requires eliminating the run and constant pressure. and you have to be able to score points yourself, there just to complete a team.

Innovation, meet smack down :lol:

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

APB wrote:
How does he know who's Andrew Mertig's sources are? :lol:

If Andrew Mertig won't publically reveal his sources then Brian Maafi doesn't know, therefore he cannot confirm his source is different to Mertig's. :roll:

If Mertig is openly bragging in private then he's potentially risking the careers of his sources and his credibility.

Logically, no-one of importance would in their right mind would risk their career sharing that information to some internet nobodies like Mertig and Maafi.
Last edited by Chilli on 28 Jan 2024 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Chilli wrote:
28 Jan 2024 09:07
APB wrote:
How does he know who's Andrew Mertig's sources are? :lol:

If Andrew Mertig won't publically reveal his sources then Brian Maafi doesn't know, therefore he cannot confirm his source is different to Mertig's. :roll:

If Mertig is openly bragging in private then he's potentially risking the careers of his sources.

No-one of importance in their right mind would risk their career sharing that information to some internet nobodies like Mertig and Maafi.
He could have just asked his source if he also shared that information with Mertig.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

lupedafiasco wrote:
28 Jan 2024 09:09
He could have just asked his source if he also shared that information with Mertig.
There's also that too..... :lol:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Jan 2024 20:28
lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Jan 2024 18:59
If Parker is the guy I just chalk up another bad coaching hire on LaFleur. We will have to see ultimately how it shakes out but you stay with the same coaching tree that doesn’t really suit the players you have. He’s on a failing defensive staff despite having some solid talent on it.
It is true their defense is trash

I don’t know enough about the guy to have a strong opinion either way tho
They gave up 70 to the Dolphins. 29th in yards allows. 22nd I’m passing yards. 30th I’m rushing yards allowed. 27th in points allowed. 22nd in redzone scoring. Dead last in yards per rush.

They were 2nd in 3rd down defense for what it’s worth.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

If Evero does not land the Seattle's HC gig and Carolina decides to part ways with him then he has lots of options.

Become a DC for whomever Seattle hires, he could go back to McVay as Rams DC, he could go to Atlanta and join Morris, or go to sunny Miami and inherit Fangio's defence or he could finally get the Packers DC gig.

Problem with this is that Evero will remember that LaFleur turned him down three years ago and he may choose to go elsewhere where he is wanted.

Too many things need to go our way in order to get Evero here. The odds are not good.

Similarly with Anthony Weaver. He's completely ingrained within LaFleur's circle - Shanahan, McDaniel, Saleh, Pettine. They all know each other. He will be bringing knowledge of the Ravens defence with him too which is a very attractive proposition. If he does not land the Washington HC gig and that Baltimore does not reach the superbowl then he will also have lots of options as DC.

Become a DC for whomever Washington hires, Baltimore if McDonald leaves, whatever team McDonald joins, Atlanta, Miami and Green Bay. Again lot of things need to go our way if we want him.

Together the odds are good we might land one of them but we need the domino to fall elsewhere first and that requires patience. If we don't want to wait then we should go all in on.....

....Babich. He's the 3rd best DC prospect imo. He's freely available right now but we face strong competition for him from Buffalo, Giants and Miami.

We would have to be extremely unlucky if we fail to get one of them so Christian Parker I imagine would finally come into play.

All three will want to build their own staff and competition for their services will drive up their salaries. Can the Packers compete?

However with Parker we get to retain our staff and at a lower salary. He knows LaFleur and familar with Pettine/Fangio schemes. On top of that if he ever end up as head coach we will get extra draft picks!

Surely not....It would be so typical of us wouldn't it? :lol:

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I’m in the camp that we need an experienced DC with a proven track record. Someone who has had multiple seasons of top 10 defenses.

The Packers offense is ready to roll. The Packers don’t need to hire a DC who needs a couple years to get his bearings. And if they flop then starting all over again a few years down the line.

Leslie Frazier would be a great hire and he has a great track record as a DC. And the Packers would be ready to compete for a SB today.
Love is the answer…

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Somebody help me. Wasn't it the Rodgers trade to the Jets where Schefter got called out for "prematurely" spreading rumor of the trade, when it hadn't been done (yet)?

Didn't we learn that at least some of the reports and bloggers (especially the bloggers) are full of guano and that they will swing in advance of any truth, that they might gain some instant credibility?

Or, have we already forgotten that?

Green Bay has a long-standing tradition of avoiding the spotlight in major decisions. Go back to when we got Peppers. Nobody knew until Julius was already in town. Other breaking events never have seemed to fit the pattern that most markets exploit.

There's at least a 50% chance that our next DC won't be known to us until they walk him to the platform at Lambeau for a "spontaneous" presser.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
28 Jan 2024 13:12
Somebody help me. Wasn't it the Rodgers trade to the Jets where Schefter got called out for "prematurely" spreading rumor of the trade, when it hadn't been done (yet)?

Didn't we learn that at least some of the reports and bloggers (especially the bloggers) are full of guano and that they will swing in advance of any truth, that they might gain some instant credibility?

Green Bay has a long-standing tradition of avoiding the spotlight in major decisions. Go back to when we got Peppers. Nobody knew until Julius was already in town. Other breaking events never have seemed to fit the pattern that most markets exploit.

There's at least a 50% chance that our next DC won't be known to us until they walk him to the platform at Lambeau for a "spontaneous" presser.
At a material level, everything that was reported in the Rodgers saga from 2021 to 2023 was correcct.

You can nitpick details but the high level news of Rodgers isn't happy, Packers and Rodgers have amicably decided to move on, the Packers and Jets are talking...all of it was correct at a material level.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:

There is probably close to a 0% chance of this happening. It's pretty well known who teams interview.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:

The Packers are as tight lipped in house secure as any team in the league, they abhor rumors, if this did come out from in house, which obviously it would have had to, and is false, I'd hate to be the guy that leaked it, if true, then it was to cushion the news that we just hired the youngest least experienced defensive assistant to be a DC in possibly league history, to me thats pretty big revelation for the fan base to grasp, I know it's blowing me away :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
28 Jan 2024 13:41
Scott4Pack wrote:

The Packers are as tight lipped in house secure as any team in the league, they abhor rumors, if this did come out from in house, which obviously it would have had to, and is false, I'd hate to be the guy that leaked it, if true, then it was to cushion the news that we just hired the youngest least experienced defensive assistant to be a DC in possibly league history, to me thats pretty big revelation for the fan base to grasp, I know it's blowing me away :rotf:
Why? Honestly aren't you used to having a sucky defense by now? We tried the old guys.

We seriously got nothing to lose. At worst we are looking at what we have had for basically my whole life save 2 seasons.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Jan 2024 07:57
This mindset badly needs to make a comeback in general in the world today.

You go out on a limb to definitively assert something and you are shown to be correct - great, you should be rewarded and your opinion respected going forward.

You make a wild falsifiable assertion definitively and it doesn't happen - you're done.