Safety

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Feb 2024 10:44
Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2024 10:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Feb 2024 10:41
I think you are misinterpreting what Lupe said...
not the part that matters
You are misinterpreting what Lupe is saying.
Savage was a aggressive, physical safety till Joe Barry became our DC, Pettine wasn't some wussy, and he brought a physicality to this defense, we rarely sat back in prevent, we used more man coverage.

players do take after there coaches, thats what I took from Lupe.

I'am not misinterpreting that, Barry was Mr, passive, hopefully Hafley is Mr Aggressive

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
06 Feb 2024 10:10
Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2024 09:52
Savage is a lot better then Joe Barry made him,
That seems to fly in the face of the evidence.

I mean, whatever Joe Barry called in the SF game placed Savage in position to get an INT, maybe even score a TD with said INT, but he pissed that one away. It also put him in position to limit an explosive run by CMC, who was otherwise a lot less effective at running the ball than he was against most teams they faced this year, only to let McCafferey rip off a big run for 6. I mean Savage basically lost the game for us.

If anything, Savage made Joe Barry's defenses look worse way more than the other way around.

just name another secondary player that prospered under Barry,
Um, okay. Rasul Douglas. :)
Yeah but he did even better in Buffalo
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 06 Feb 2024 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2024 10:54
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

not the part that matters
Savage was a aggressive, physical safety till Joe Barry became our DC, Pettine wasn't some wussy, and he brought a physicality to this defense, we rarely sat back in prevent, we used more man coverage.

I'am not misinterpreting that, Barry was Mr, passive, hopefully Hafley is Mr Aggressive
Not what you said when you said this:
why is it we always blame one guy for a missed tackle? why not blame others as well who stand around and watch him miss it, why aren't they there to help him make it?
Especially for safeties there isn't another guy to blame. In the secondary there are a lot of open field 1 on 1 tackles. Savage missed too many of them.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Feb 2024 10:19
PFF on Savage going into 2021:
18. DARNELL SAVAGE, GREEN BAY PACKERS
Savage is moving in the right direction but is still a little more flash than substance. Watching him, you get the real sense that he is on the precipice of being a genuinely great player rather than the very good one that he is right now. Savage recorded four picks and seven pass breakups and made several critical hits last year. His biggest issue was with missed tackles, with 16 total on the year.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-safety-ran ... nfl-season

If a safety is playing 16/17 games they should get a load of tackles. That does not tell anyone how actually good they are. There are plenty of other stats to look at: PDs, INTs, Missed Tackle%, Yards/Target, TDs, Cmp%.

Savage among safeties in 2020:
CMP% - 5th
PDs - 2nd
INTs - 5th
Yards/TGT - 51st
TDs - 14th
Missing Tackle% - 33rd
Tackles - 35th

Savage was on his way in 2020. I fully believe Barry's defense miscast him.
35th?????????? the guy had 75 tackles for us, 4th on the team, Amos had 83 as a SS, those two where one of the best combo's in the league, PFF is broken, thanks for the info anyway.
I don’t give two &%$@ about tackles made. I care about tackle percentage and tackles missed at safety.

When you miss a tackle at safety it likely becomes an explosive play or a TD.

75 tackles over 15 games is also not that great. That’s 5 tackles in a game in which combined tackles can be a very generous stat. I don’t even know how you dispute that Savage is a bad tackler anymore. It’s been on display for 5 seasons now and statistically has been presented for you.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Savage at his peak was in on 19 assisted tackles. 1.3 a game. At his speed that number should be significantly higher. He doesn’t have a defensive mentality.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Feb 2024 11:03
Savage at his peak was in on 19 assisted tackles. 1.3 a game. At his speed that number should be significantly higher. He doesn’t have a defensive mentality.
well Amos had 83 that season and he's a box safety, ya don't get to rag on Savage and over look his position partner with basically the same stats

he was drafted #21 because he was a outstanding college safety, and progressed well his first two seasons, till his wussy of a DC used single high safety, a position Savage doesn't fit well in

doesn't have a defensive mentality????? what a over board statement.
Last edited by Yoop on 06 Feb 2024 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Feb 2024 10:59
Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2024 10:54
Pckfn23 wrote:

Not what you said when you said this:
why is it we always blame one guy for a missed tackle? why not blame others as well who stand around and watch him miss it, why aren't they there to help him make it?
Especially for safeties there isn't another guy to blame. In the secondary there are a lot of open field 1 on 1 tackles. Savage missed too many of them.
horse manure and you know it, I bet you can't find a stat that has Savage missing while in deep safety, his misses are do to taking poor angles coming down to make a box tackle, you know the area where players expect help tackling.

so much BS made up concerning Savage, I can't wait to see him in a new scheme making plays

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

You are right about the made up BS, but unfortunately it all comes from you.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Feb 2024 11:21
well where is this list of all these tackles missed when Savage was last line of defense, your the one complaining about the guy and making statements you can't back up.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TheSkeptic wrote:
06 Feb 2024 10:58
Labrev wrote:
Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2024 09:52
just name another secondary player that prospered under Barry,
**snip**
You are going to need better evidence than a single pick-six. He had multiple pick-sixes with us.

It's not like he went to a team with bad defensive coaches and kept playing well, showing that he produces well even with bad coaches, he went to a team with great defensive coaches and looked mostly as good as he did here.

Barry was a mediocre DC, and we needed to improve over his mediocrity than accept it as good enough, but he was not the source of all issues on his side of the ball.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Labrev wrote:
06 Feb 2024 11:40
Barry was a mediocre DC, and we needed to improve over his mediocrity than accept it as good enough, but he was not the source of all issues on his side of the ball.
As it relates to Savage, yes, he probably was miscast a bit, and there were endemic issues that predate Joe Barry and even predate MLF about how we fail to coach our defenders to be physical which also affected him.

But then Savage himself failed to figure out how to do his job even adequately, let alone do it well. He has stunk. It's a confluence of many different issues, but his own failings are too big to warrant a sixth chance.

If he was an okay player then yeah sure, maybe bring him back and see if he benefits from the scheme change. He's not okay, he's sub-par, so we may as well just roll the dice with another player. If they don't work out, it will be a net no-change. Or a net-savings if we are paying them significantly less money, in which we can theoretically improve enough in other areas to make up for it. If they play better, we improve.

If we bring back Savage and he does not improve, we get sub-par play for way more than we should be paying for that.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

If we bring back Savage we learned nothing from bringing back King.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2024 11:39
Pckfn23 wrote:
well where is this list of all these tackles missed when Savage was last line of defense, your the one complaining about the guy and making statements you can't back up.
Your adding nonsense qualifiers. Look no further than the 39 yard TD run by CMC. Open field, 1 on 1 tackle that he whiffed on.

Nothing I said was made up.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Feb 2024 11:54
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Your adding nonsense qualifiers. Look no further than the 39 yard TD run by CMC. Open field, 1 on 1 tackle that he whiffed on.

where did he miss the tackle? in the lber box, that is not last line of defense, nor was it actually open field.

Lupe ya bring back KIng, Savage because you don't have or can't get anyone better.

Savage as we all seem to agree is not a good FS, nore is he a physical SS, so basically we don't think he fits the schemes our new DC will want to use, so we should not bring him back, fine, but he isn't the trash some of you are making him out to be.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Can’t get anyone better my ass. King was out of the league the following year!

The other thing I think is wrong is that Barry miscast Savage. The Packees are the one that miscast Savage. They thought he could be that single high safety. They thought they got Earl Thomas. Even in college Savage was best from the robber and star position.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2024 12:04
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

where did he miss the tackle? in the lber box, that is not last line of defense, nor was it actually open field.

Lupe ya bring back KIng, Savage because you don't have or can't get anyone better.

Savage as we all seem to agree is not a good FS, nore is he a physical SS, so basically we don't think he fits the schemes our new DC will want to use, so we should not bring him back, fine, but he isn't the trash some of you are making him out to be.
You made up this last line of defense nonsense. It was never something I said, nor did I say anything about a "lber box," whatever that is. That was a 1 on 1, open field tackle that Savage missed. In our last game, that you claim never happened.

I didn't say Savage is trash.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Feb 2024 12:26
Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2024 12:04
Pckfn23 wrote:

You made up this last line of defense nonsense. It was never something I said, nor did I say anything about a "lber box," whatever that is. That was a 1 on 1, open field tackle that Savage missed. In our last game, that you claim never happened.

I didn't say Savage is trash.
never said it didn't happen, the point is you claim he gave up open field tackles, which is a half truth at best, it assumes that it was last line of defense, which it wasn't.
whatever all I ever hear from some of you is bombastic opinions of Savage, no he does not miss as many tackles as most of you claim, and he is a good safety in 2 high schemes, thats it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2024 12:53
the point is you claim he gave up open field tackles, which is a half truth at best, it assumes that it was last line of defense, which it wasn't.
No, that is not what that assumes. Open field tackles are not always last line of defense. An open field tackle can be behind the line of scrimmage.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
06 Feb 2024 11:40
TheSkeptic wrote:
06 Feb 2024 10:58
Labrev wrote:

**snip**
You are going to need better evidence than a single pick-six. He had multiple pick-sixes with us.

It's not like he went to a team with bad defensive coaches and kept playing well, showing that he produces well even with bad coaches, he went to a team with great defensive coaches and looked mostly as good as he did here.

That was meant as an example for entertainment value, not as evidence. But as evidence in 9 games with the Bills he had 4 interceptions vs 1 interception in the 7 games as a Packer. In 2022 he had 4 all season long. In 2022 as a Packer he was ranked the 32nd best CB by pff. In 2023, he was 21st. If you have any evidence that he did worse in Buffalo, lets see it. It seems to me that he did significantly better in Buffalo