Super Bowl LVIII

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who

Chiefs
35%
49ers
6%
Packers could beat both
29%
Fire LaCoach
6%
We got this next year
24%

Total votes: 17

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
12 Feb 2024 08:10
The bad news is SF's window remains open during the same span as ours is open: their QB is still dirt cheap for two more seasons,
Purdy will get an extension this offseason. Maybe not $50 million/year, but maybe $40 million. That will bite into their cap a lot more than $800k does even if they structure it to minimize immediate cap hit.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
12 Feb 2024 07:11
This is the same fanbase who wanted to blow up the entire coaching staff at halftime of the Packers game then were talking mad &%$@ after the win. Even moreso as the Detroit game played out. They are the most fickle, fair-weather, lame-ass crowd I can think of. Drinking in their tears this morning is a delicacy.
It is SF. They don't have time to see the big picture. They are too busy putting vaseline on their butth0!e$ and tr@n$ing kids.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

APB wrote:
12 Feb 2024 08:28
I think we're the better team already. Had them beat in their house after they had a week's rest, just couldn't close the deal.

They will be our main competition these next few years (along w/Detroit) but I feel very good about the direction this rivalry is likely headed.

Purdy ain't it, Love is. Bring it.
I love the optimism but a better QB patently is not enough. We had a better QB than them in all the years they bounced us.

Their roster is STACKED. Ours is pretty dang good and has few holes, but we need to tighten it up, plug the holes and (what I would argue is more important) create position groups of dominance.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
12 Feb 2024 09:04
APB wrote:
I think we're the better team already. Had them beat in their house after they had a week's rest, just couldn't close the deal.

They will be our main competition these next few years (along w/Detroit) but I feel very good about the direction this rivalry is likely headed.

I love the optimism but a better QB patently is not enough. We had a better QB than them in all the years they bounced us.

Their roster is STACKED. Ours is pretty dang good and has few holes, but we need to tighten it up, plug the holes and (what I would argue is more important) create position groups of dominance.
I donno. One elite player who the NFL wants to make look good can out duel a stacked roster. As we saw last night. Plus, when those stacked position groups don't show up (like SF LBS last night), it kills you.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

APB wrote:
Labrev wrote:
The bad news is SF's window remains open during the same span as ours is open: their QB is still dirt cheap for two more seasons, so they can and likely will keep going after top talent, and even when he gets paid, the roster losses probably won't be too bad for the first few years. We cannot rely on them imploding; we need to find a way to beat these guys, or to get lucky and avoid facing them in the playoffs somehow.

We kinda need to go into the offseason with that mentality: beat SF, make the SB.

I agree with the last bit. I like the Purdy story but he isn’t going to be enough to get that team a Lombardi IMO. The difference in ability between him and Mahomes was noticeable, and in the end the better QB was a major difference maker imo.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Papa John wrote:
12 Feb 2024 09:29
APB wrote:
Labrev wrote:
The bad news is SF's window remains open during the same span as ours is open: their QB is still dirt cheap for two more seasons, so they can and likely will keep going after top talent, and even when he gets paid, the roster losses probably won't be too bad for the first few years. We cannot rely on them imploding; we need to find a way to beat these guys, or to get lucky and avoid facing them in the playoffs somehow.

We kinda need to go into the offseason with that mentality: beat SF, make the SB.

I agree with the last bit. I like the Purdy story but he isn’t going to be enough to get that team a Lombardi IMO. The difference in ability between him and Mahomes was noticeable, and in the end the better QB was a major difference maker imo.
Purdy doesn't sniff a SB on any other roster than SF right now. He's a nice QB but there is a reason he was Mr. Irrelevant.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

wallyuwl wrote:
12 Feb 2024 08:58
YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Feb 2024 23:48
wallyuwl wrote:
11 Feb 2024 23:31
Two longest FG in SB history tonight. Maybe next season the Packers will get a kicker that could beat out a high school JV kid.
The 49ers kicker is a rookie FOURTH round pick who was easily the third worst full time kicker in the league this year, ahead of our Anders and the Pats rookie draft pick.

They stuck with the talented big leg draft pick through his struggles and he nailed a 55- and 53-yarder tonight.

You might be learning the wrong lesson here
So you're saying he is better than Anders. And by using a higher pick on a more talented and consistent college player, the 49ers got better results. Got it.
Results? Moody's crappy PAT got blocked ended up losing them the game.

The NFL is just a brutal league.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
12 Feb 2024 09:04
APB wrote:

Yeah this is an important offseason. We can't have a clunker of a draft. Don't need necessarily 2022 and 2023 drafts but definitely need 2 players who are hits and more importantly growth from our 2nd and 3rd year players.

Guys like Walker, Wyatt, Watson, Valentine, LVN, Brooks. All players who have shown glimpses but also have seen enough times where they go silent. That's where most of our growth copmared to the rest of the league will come from.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

every team makes mistakes, the offense best able to capitalize on the others mistakes, WINS, imho thats how the big games end.

the best defense can keep you in the game, can keep the score close, the offense that makes the least mistakes, discovers a few mismatches and uses them when the game is on the line, tends to win, well as long as ST's doesn't rob them of that opportunity :idn:

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

For me prime Rodgers still beats Mahomes by magnitudes.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Papa John wrote:
12 Feb 2024 09:29
APB wrote:
Labrev wrote:

Purdy is at his ceiling, and he was off the mark on about 4 or 5 throws last night, can anyone imagine what Mahomes would/could do with the SF skill position players.

Mahomes found ways to win, Purdy found ways to lose, your right Mahomes made a big difference. :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2024 09:46
every team makes mistakes, the offense best able to capitalize on the others mistakes, WINS,
You are forgetting something: an offensive "capitalizing on" mistakes necessarily implies a defense and/or special teams that cause the opposing offense to make said mistakes for the offense to capitalize/win the game.

Mahomes was not playing elite this season or last night, he just kept the ball moving forward methodically and found a way to close out the game. It was, in a real sense, complimentary football.
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

So I guess this is just how its gonna go:

Packers crush the Cowboys dreams
Niners crush the Packers dreams
Someone very elite crushes the Niners dreams

Its comical at this point!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Chiefs just have that championship pedigree.

You saw Mahommes stay calm the whole game. You saw Chris Jones rally the Defense when down 10-3. Andy Reid on point throughout.

Niners, Bills, Packers, Lions, Ravens just dont have that pedigree yet. They get up 10 and think its over and start relaxing. They play 3 quarters when you need 4. You gotta deliver knockout blows while you can to beat a team that has elevated itself like the Chiefs. Gotta coach smart all the way through.

Lions gave us 2 elite quarters and tailed off
Packers gave 3 elite quarters and tailed off
Niners never put it away when they should early.

Hopefully next year Packers can increase their competitive stamina with experience and play for 4 quarters. You just have to if you want a SB.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Shanahan always falls in love with his play designs. Gets too cute. He lost for 2-3 reasons.

1) I dont know that he even knew the OT rules for the superbowl. Players say they had no idea.

2) McCaffrey was getting yardage. Ballin. And he had 22 carries. Keith Mitchell had 4. McCaffrey didnt look tired at the end to me. Hes one of the highest paid in the league. You gotta put the ball in his hands more. Dont rely on Mr Mid Purdy so much. 28+ or 30 carries for McCaffrey and there is no doubt in my mind the niners win

3) first two possessions of second half the niners had GREAT field position. If they score at all there I think they win. Shanahan calls SIX straight pass plays for 2, 3 and outs. Inexusable. Start pounding McCaffrey from midfield and I think they win.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

German_Panzer wrote:
12 Feb 2024 09:51
In terms of talent, amazing plays, amazing games, even amazing seasons, yeah, for sure.

But 12 got too addicted to chasing big plays, to a point where he couldn't win games without them. When going up against defenses like SF's that do not give you those plays, you need to be able to just keep the ball moving forward, eliminate negative plays, find ways to win that do not look pretty.

The ability of Mahomes and Brady before him to do that is a big part (not the only part, but a very big one) of the reason why they both finished ahead of Rodgers.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
12 Feb 2024 09:57
Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2024 09:46
every team makes mistakes, the offense best able to capitalize on the others mistakes, WINS,
You are forgetting something: an offensive "capitalizing on" mistakes necessarily implies a defense and/or special teams that cause the opposing offense to make said mistakes for the offense to capitalize/win the game.

Mahomes was not playing elite this season or last night, he just kept the ball moving forward methodically and found a way to close out the game. It was, in a real sense, complimentary football.
more elite then Purdy, Mahomes, like Rodgers, like Brady, like most SB winning QB's main goal is to play mistake free, again mistakes decide most PO games, so the offense that makes the least mistakes, WINS, everything else is just noise.

also the receivers a QB has to work with most of the season are the ones that are able to build mis match plays with him, plays rarely used till games like these are on the line, it wasn't so much that the SF lbers couldn't cover Kelce on that last drive, it's that they didn't know what kelce was going to do, and could not counter what he did.

none of the QB's I just mentioned where better in there wins then Mahomes was last night, none of them like Mahomes lost those game either, they got hot though when it mattered, something I doubt Purdy will ever get to do.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
12 Feb 2024 10:06
German_Panzer wrote:
12 Feb 2024 09:51
In terms of talent, amazing plays, amazing games, even amazing seasons, yeah, for sure.

But 12 got too addicted to chasing big plays, to a point where he couldn't win games without them. When going up against defenses like SF's that do not give you those plays, you need to be able to just keep the ball moving forward, eliminate negative plays, find ways to win that do not look pretty.

The ability of Mahomes and Brady before him to do that is a big part (not the only part, but a very big one) of the reason why they both finished ahead of Rodgers.
ehhhh, Rodgers in PO games lacked talent the last few years, so much so he couldn't over come the commonality of game mistakes that happen to some degree in every game, ya have in game plays, ya have game closing plays, and then ya have plays designed to create mis matches in order to score quickly.

with just Adams and Jones and the infrequent MVS or Lazard where where these mis matches going to get built?

you act as though KC had no game changers, they have a solid RB, great TE, Hardeman, Ayuik, Rice, SF has a great defense, yet failed to stop that crew when the game was on the line, I'am not going to go down the road on this Rodgers thing with you again, it's so insane to defend the idiotic nonsense that what we had at receiver the last 6 or 7 years here was good.

what your seeing with us now is what good is.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2024 10:11
more elite then Purdy, Mahomes, like Rodgers, like Brady,
Purdy did not turn the ball over; Mahomes did. Mahomes only scored 1 TD in regulation (to MVS). He struggled in the red-zone to punch it in until the end of OT.

SuperBowl LVIII was an ugly, low-scoring (tied 19-19 before OT) affair. Ugly low-scoring games happen when both teams' defenses play well.

Definitely not proof-positive of the "offense wins championships" theory.

like most SB winning QB's main goal is to play mistake free, again mistakes decide most PO games, so the offense that makes the least mistakes, WINS, everything else is just noise.
Offenses do not just "make mistakes" in a vacuum, mistakes require the opposing defense to make the play.

Even a totally unforced error by a QB, like Purdy throwing the ball directly to Darnell Savage, requires Savage to catch that ball.

That is the hole in your argument.

Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2024 10:27
you act as though KC had no game changers, they have a solid RB, great TE, Hardeman, Ayuik, Rice, SF has a great defense, yet failed to stop that crew when the game was on the line, I'am not going to go down the road on this Rodgers thing with you again, it's so insane to defend the idiotic nonsense that what we had at receiver the last 6 or 7 years here was good.
My only reason for not responding is because the autistic kids will come in and complain that, in a thread where they would not have otherwise posted at all, there's a conversation taking place that they do not want to have. Sorry, no discussion allowed on a discussion forum. :nono:
—Magneto

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

My thoughts on the game.
  • Kyle Shanahan taught MLF well. They both give up on the run way too early. Andy Reid kept running Pacheco even though it wasn't gaining much. You need to keep good defenses guessing.

Can't just be good, also need to get the breaks. Punt off the Niners foot was the key play of the game IMHO.

Losing Greenlaw on a freak injury really hurt SF. Not sure Kelce has all those catches if Greenlaw stay healthy.
Kudos to KC and Mahomes. He made the plays when needed the most.