Super Bowl LVIII

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who

Chiefs
35%
49ers
6%
Packers could beat both
29%
Fire LaCoach
6%
We got this next year
24%

Total votes: 17

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

After having a few days to reflect on the Super Bowl, I have come to the conclusion that we absolutely could have won. The game was entertaining and it was indeed a close game, but I think that the level of play was not what we are accustomed to seeing from Super Bowl caliber teams. If we don't drop 3 INT's in the divisional round, we beat Detroit. Our team this season was more talented than KC IMO.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Feb 2024 14:17
Offense couldn’t score one point in the 4th against the niners when the Chiefs went off in the 4th against the niners and some are saying that we win sb if we beat the niners. It’s comical.
again whats comical is for anyone to think that we couldn't beat any of these teams, again every year we see teams that shouldn't win, win, and teams that are expected to steam roll others, lose to them, if anything is a sure thing is that football is not as predictable as we suppose it is.
most folks never expected this team to do as well as it did, hell some where clamoring to start tanking game halfway through the season, so for you to come here and talk this team down or laugh at anyone with what seems impossible expectations makes no sense :idn:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

why when I post, I get a message that the site can perform the task, HTTP 500 message, yet it does post the message, I just have to click back to main page? weird :thwap:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Papa John wrote:
14 Feb 2024 14:40
After having a few days to reflect on the Super Bowl, I have come to the conclusion that we absolutely could have won. The game was entertaining and it was indeed a close game, but I think that the level of play was not what we are accustomed to seeing from Super Bowl caliber teams. If we don't drop 3 INT's in the divisional round, we beat Detroit. Our team this season was more talented than KC IMO.
I absolutely think we had the skill to beat the niners. I think we lacked the mindset and the championship pedigree.

Winning plays were there to be made and we choked them away.

In the 4th, Love couldn’t throw anymore. Offense wet it’s leg.

That same thing would have happened in every game onward.

It’s not about skill, it’s mindset, coaching, preparation.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Feb 2024 14:47
It's true. And I am willing to chalk that up to lack of experience, for now at least. At what point in the game did the Right Tackle go down? 4th quarter. Backup right tackle. Great pass rush. That's the type of scenario where experience is going to pay dividends, hopefully.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Wow

Quite late in the process, must have an internal hire they like? Not many guys still out there.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

BF004 wrote:
14 Feb 2024 15:18
Wow

Quite late in the process, must have an internal hire they like? Not many guys still out there.
I would be too upset if I were an SF fan. I really thought he dropped the ball down the stretch on Sunday.
- Bill Parcells

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
Papa John wrote:
I absolutely think we had the skill to beat the niners. I think we lacked the mindset and the championship pedigree.

you suppose Love and the offense would have continued to wet there pants, my point is that you really have nothing to base that on.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

this thread is corrupted,

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2024 15:27
Drj820 wrote:
Papa John wrote:

you suppose Love and the offense would have continued to wet there pants, my point is that you really have nothing to base that on.
Yes, I assume the youngest team in the league with a first year starting QB would wet its leg in the Super Bowl against a great D, if it wet its leg in the divisional round against a "Very good" D.

I would assume that about any team until they matured or proved me otherwise.

Its not a diss on GB. Youngest teams in league with first year starters dont win SBs.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Feb 2024 15:32
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Yes, I assume the youngest team in the league with a first year starting QB would wet its leg in the Super Bowl against a great D, if it wet its leg in the divisional round against a "Very good" D.

Its not a diss on GB. Youngest teams in league with first year starters dont win SBs.
not sure if this will post, but we'll see,

I get all the big stage, young team stuff, my point is a more stingy defense, better offensive play selection, or simply any number of things can off set that.

young first year starters don't waltz into Dallas and whip up on them either. :beer2:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2024 16:31
Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I get all the big stage, young team stuff, my point is a more stingy defense, better offensive play selection, or simply any number of things can off set that.

young first year starters don't waltz into Dallas and whip up on them either. :beer2:
This aint 1994 bud. The Cowboys did exactly what they do in the playoffs. What we did, happens to them all the time. Lol

Just like we always lose to the niners

and then the niners choke a game or two later.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Feb 2024 16:36
Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2024 16:31
Drj820 wrote:

This aint 1994 bud. The Cowboys did exactly what they do in the playoffs. What we did, happens to them all the time. Lol

Just like we always lose to the niners

and then the niners choke a game or two later.
see I think there are under lying reasons certain teams have failed in specific games, what you consider choking I relate to poor player match ups, one coach out dueling his competitor, not that I think we would have beaten KC, again, but we had the Niners minus several plays.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Nobody here denies that the Packers had the talent to go all the way.

Yet in the playoffs, every team is very talented, so what makes the difference is who plays sounder football consistently.

And as talented as this team was last year, they were also pretty wildly inconsistent. KC beat a more talented SF because they are consistent.

Second, winning the SuperBowl with a first-year starter is extremely rare. Only Kurt Warner and Tom Brady have done it. Warner had an unreal supporting cast. Brady is an all-timer, so he is by definition an exception to the norm, yet frankly even with that being so, he made it in large part due to a bad ref call that wiped out a critical fumble by him.

I think people drank a lot of Kool-Aid over the flashes of greatness from this team that they lost sight of how much work they still need.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Labrev wrote:
14 Feb 2024 17:31

Yet in the playoffs, every team is very talented, so what makes the difference is who plays sounder football consistently.

And as talented as this team was last year, they were also pretty wildly inconsistent. KC beat a more talented SF because they are consistent.

Second, winning the SuperBowl with a first-year starter is extremely rare. Only Kurt Warner and Tom Brady have done it. Warner had an unreal supporting cast. Brady is an all-timer, so he is by definition an exception to the norm, yet frankly even with that being so, he made it in large part due to a bad ref call that wiped out a critical fumble by him.

I think people drank a lot of Kool-Aid over the flashes of greatness from this team that they lost sight of how much work they still need.
In the case of the 2023 Packers, I would say we were playing consistently when it mattered most- in the playoffs. We played sound football against Dallas and for 3 quarters against SF. The lights just proved to be too bright for this young team. Now my question is- why were they too bright? Was it because our our collective youth and inexperience? Was it a failure on the part of the coaches? I am hoping that it was only because of our youth. Sometimes, when the pressure is high and you're trying to do everything right, the simplest, most obvious thing is the one thing that you do wrong. IMO that is what we saw from this team in that loss to SF.
- Bill Parcells

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Papa John wrote:
14 Feb 2024 17:59
Labrev wrote:

In the case of the 2023 Packers, I would say we were playing consistently when it mattered most- in the playoffs. We played sound football against Dallas and for 3 quarters against SF. The lights just proved to be too bright for this young team. Now my question is- why were they too bright? Was it because our our collective youth and inexperience? Was it a failure on the part of the coaches? I am hoping that it was only because of our youth. Sometimes, when the pressure is high and you're trying to do everything right, the simplest, most obvious thing is the one thing that you do wrong. IMO that is what we saw from this team in that loss to SF.
My opinion is it was on the coaches. The players on the field just didn’t make plays. That is becoming a trend under LaFleur. We saw against the Buccs and the 49ers in 2021 this team just doesn’t execute in key situations.

I think of Adams dropping a TD against the Buccs or Lazard not blocking on a pick play that would have scored or ducking a TD to potentially tie the game. Or allowing a blocked punt against the 49ers for a score.

This year we had Savage and Nixon dropping picks. Love just making a pass that at this point in his career should have been drilled out of him.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

This is a goofy conversation. If the packers could have won the Super Bowl, they simply would have.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Feb 2024 11:17
Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2024 10:19
BF004 wrote:
14 Feb 2024 09:14

Who wants to tell him? :rotf:

But in all seriousness, well like duh not a guarantee we would beat the Lions or the Chiefs. That is why people said 'I think' and 'I believe', and not it was guaranteed.
ehhhh, we all do this same stuff, this team, that team, could never beat this or that team, it's like a plague of uncertainty, in reality we see upsets every week during the season and the PO's, so it's normal for us to guess about the unknown, where all allergic it seems to do so. :lol:
I know the packers beat the chiefs in the regular season.

To those that are not aware, playoffs are a totally different game than the regular season, and its a whole other level of different when it is the super bowl. The shoulda woulda couldas are pathetic.
Sounds good in theory, and probably some truth to it, but it's not a different enough game that the same trends you find in a matchup between 2 teams in the regular season all of a sudden get turned on their head in the playoffs. And this is especially true for us over the past decade or 2.

In other words, we had zero trouble scoring on KC just a few months ago, so it's pretty unlikely they were going to magically shut us down. Maybe they can improve a bit, but a bit of improvement against our offense in this case just means that our offense scores on something like 80% of drives instead of 100%.

One counterexample to my case I can think of is the 2020 TB-NO results, but TB was a special case because it was covid and also a super team that had to learn to play together as the season went on. But generally, teams that play each other one way tend to play each other the same way shortly afterwards in a rematch, barring some unusual circumstances.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we see this stuff all the time though, shifting from up tempo attack style offense to the slower more kill the clock stuff, hoping to be error free, it's contagious, the defense does the same thing, next thing ya know, you've dwindled away a 2 score lead, and ya can't shift the offense back to what gave ya the 2 score lead to begin with, always felt it was common with McCarthy, thought we shed that with Lafleur and Rodgers, but here it is with Love, probably more so because Love is new at this.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Feb 2024 19:06
Papa John wrote:
14 Feb 2024 17:59
Labrev wrote:

My opinion is it was on the coaches. The players on the field just didn’t make plays. That is becoming a trend under LaFleur. We saw against the Buccs and the 49ers in 2021 this team just doesn’t execute in key situations.

I think of Adams dropping a TD against the Buccs or Lazard not blocking on a pick play that would have scored or ducking a TD to potentially tie the game. Or allowing a blocked punt against the 49ers for a score.

This year we had Savage and Nixon dropping picks. Love just making a pass that at this point in his career should have been drilled out of him.
I find it strange you open by blaming the coaches, and MLF in particular, but then go on to list a series of individual player mistakes.

It's clear, from your examples, the players were coached/schemed to be in position to make plays. But yet, when it was time to execute the play, the player failed....and that's the coaches fault? :messedup: