2024 Free Agent Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Offseason Strategy

Stick to the draft, we got guys to extend
3%
Fill a few holes here and there
23%
Maybe get a starter if the price is right.
20%
We desperately need a starter or two
27%
Where is muh Zadarius and Preston
7%
Shut up and just fix the site already
20%

Total votes: 30

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Don't draft Allen. He'll be the next in a line of UW busts. He bulked up too much and lost his speed.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

mnkcarp wrote:
28 Feb 2024 19:18
How much do you think a player like Zach Moss would cost? Would it make sense to replace Dillon with one of these free agent RBs? I really think you maximize Jones' impact by giving him a "thunder" counterpart. Or do we just draft Braelon Allen and consider it covered?
Derrick Henry :lombardi:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I would love to take a flyer on JK Dobbins. Yes, I know what I am signing up for and no, he doesn't necessarily fit this "big" back edict that LaFleur and Gute hinted towards, but I think you could get a high level talent on a very cheap deal with a running style more similar to Jones.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

imo the change of pace RB tells a defense whats coming, specially if that big RB has any of the limitations that Dillon has, meaning if they lack edge speed, or they lack vision, which means there a 1 cut between the tackles RB, imo we are better off with two Jones types, when both backs have edge speed, and vision, a defense has to prepare more because that type of RB can hurt them any where they run, inside/outside, doesn't matter.

I'd resign Dillon to a short term deal, hopefully cheap, and use a 2nd rounder on Brooks, or........?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
29 Feb 2024 08:23
I would love to take a flyer on JK Dobbins. Yes, I know what I am signing up for and no, he doesn't necessarily fit this "big" back edict that LaFleur and Gute hinted towards, but I think you could get a high level talent on a very cheap deal with a running style more similar to Jones.
Yeah the injuries might make him cheap enough.

Generally speaking, my thought on RBs is you don't pay more than one. It's minimum vet contracts or rookie contracts for me outside of Jones, preferably.

But that's a guideline not a rule for me, I suppose.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

Yoop wrote:
29 Feb 2024 09:03
imo the change of pace RB tells a defense whats coming, specially if that big RB has any of the limitations that Dillon has, meaning if they lack edge speed, or they lack vision, which means there a 1 cut between the tackles RB, imo we are better off with two Jones types, when both backs have edge speed, and vision, a defense has to prepare more because that type of RB can hurt them any where they run, inside/outside, doesn't matter.

I'd resign Dillon to a short term deal, hopefully cheap, and use a 2nd rounder on Brooks, or........?

So what about a free agent like Swift, then?

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Feb 2024 20:15
Don't draft Allen. He'll be the next in a line of UW busts. He bulked up too much and lost his speed.
Allen may end up being a bust. But his offensive line the last two years has been terrible. This also contributed to his injuries. Any yards he did gain were all on his own. I felt bad for him.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

mnkcarp wrote:
29 Feb 2024 11:09
Yoop wrote:
29 Feb 2024 09:03

So what about a free agent like Swift, then?
havn't really checked out UFA RB's, mostly because I've always considered RB a plug and play position, meaning drafted RB, minus the blocking scheme, can produce just like vets.

so in saying that, Dillon is probably our best choice for a low cost #2 (he knows the Lafleur schemes) and one of these draft picks would be my choice as Jones potential replacement.

however looking over Swifts career stats, he's a low mileage RB that had good YPC stats last season for Philly, I assume he'd be on the market as a cap casualty, so he'll probably cost about 8 mil. doable, the question is can he become a replacement for Jones :idn:

when it comes to UFA my choice would be for positions that are harder for rookies to transition, such as safety, or ILB.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

It is probably not very good economics to sign Swift, least of all if we want to keep Jones after this season, but Swift definitely is the kind of 'back I want us to get to backup Jones.

I am not jazzed at the idea of "thunder" as the primary complement to Jones's lightning, I think I would prefer to just throw lots of lightning at opposing defenses, and then situationally use RB3 as your bruiser (if that).

Tbh, I am baffled that Gute and MLF are saying they want more of a power 'back at RB2, after the past season. I hope it's just smoke.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
29 Feb 2024 12:22
It is probably not very good economics to sign Swift, least of all if we want to keep Jones after this season, but Swift definitely is the kind of 'back I want us to get to backup Jones.

I am not jazzed at the idea of "thunder" as the primary complement to Jones's lightning, I think I would prefer to just throw lots of lightning at opposing defenses, and then situationally use RB3 as your bruiser (if that).

Tbh, I am baffled that Gute and MLF are saying they want more of a power 'back at RB2, after the past season. I hope it's just smoke.
I don’t understand why we’re talking about signing free agent backup RBs. There is a draft. Backup RBs are what rookie contracts are for

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

'Not sure who "we" are but I am talking primarily about the type of RB I want, not (necessarily) about signing a vet FA.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Feb 2024 12:49

I don’t understand why we’re talking about signing free agent backup RBs. There is a draft. Backup RBs are what rookie contracts are for
I was talking about a 1b, or complementary back, not a backup. RBs are cheap these days, and this draft doesn't have a slam dunk starter that I see.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
I can say that about every position. I am talking about minimum type deals. Nothing wrong with adding veterans at positions where The Draft is looking a little thin.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Labrev wrote:

I think we just see how the offense changes from a playmaker (Jones), to a replacement level starter (Dillon) to a replacement level backup (Taylor/Wilson etc.). Such low hanging fruit to address, financially, compared to other positions. We've seen Gute/LaFleur and the 49ers not afraid to make big moves to have a very deep RB core. So I do think it is actually likely, either a high pick or an FA. Would be amazing to spell Aaron Jones and legit not really miss a beat on O.

I'd be 100% in favor of addressing RB2 or split level starter RB1 in FA, as well as even spending a 3rd or 4th on RB.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Also, lot of smoke around Buffalo possibly releasing Rasul.

Bills currently 32nd in the league in cap space, -41.2M over the cap. Pending FA's include startes Gabe Davis, 4 of their top 5 DTs (Daquan Jones, Tim Settle, Jordan Phillips and Linval Josepth), 3 of their top 4 edge defenders (Leonard Floyd, AJ Epenesa and Shaw Lawson) and Micah Hyde.

They are stuck with Von Miller another year (negative cap hit for releasing) who pretty much sucks now even when healthy and will be 35 soon.

They can easily save like $20 million quickly by playing with Josh Allen's contract. But otherwise their next two easiest ways to free up money are Stephon Diggs and Von Miller. Both of whom seems like they would prefer to not be on the roster in 2025 and probably don't want to kick their money out any further.

Long story short, how awesome would it be to sign him this offseason and still get that pick, lol. Think he'd do great in more of this press, aggressive, man D. Don't think we would have traded him if we knew we were heading towards this kind of D.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Flood that market!!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

And another...

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Labrev wrote:

Man say it louder for the clown shoes wearers.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
29 Feb 2024 14:20
Also, lot of smoke around Buffalo possibly releasing Rasul.

Bills currently 32nd in the league in cap space, -41.2M over the cap. Pending FA's include startes Gabe Davis, 4 of their top 5 DTs (Daquan Jones, Tim Settle, Jordan Phillips and Linval Josepth), 3 of their top 4 edge defenders (Leonard Floyd, AJ Epenesa and Shaw Lawson) and Micah Hyde.

They are stuck with Von Miller another year (negative cap hit for releasing) who pretty much sucks now even when healthy and will be 35 soon.

They can easily save like $20 million quickly by playing with Josh Allen's contract. But otherwise their next two easiest ways to free up money are Stephon Diggs and Von Miller. Both of whom seems like they would prefer to not be on the roster in 2025 and probably don't want to kick their money out any further.

Long story short, how awesome would it be to sign him this offseason and still get that pick, lol. Think he'd do great in more of this press, aggressive, man D. Don't think we would have traded him if we knew we were heading towards this kind of D.
Getting Rasul back would be awesome and would solve a lot of problems.

But I don't understand why we are talking about a FA RB or drafting one early:

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

I don't think this roster is short on talent. If anything, I'd be looking for some sort of veteran who has experience with winning Super Bowls. He doesn't need to be a top-end talent. I think this young team could benefit from someone with veteran leadership with a track record of success.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells