2024 Free Agent Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Offseason Strategy

Stick to the draft, we got guys to extend
3%
Fill a few holes here and there
23%
Maybe get a starter if the price is right.
20%
We desperately need a starter or two
27%
Where is muh Zadarius and Preston
7%
Shut up and just fix the site already
20%

Total votes: 30

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I absolutely think we need a FA Safety.

Our group is in a shambles with mid-level guys and no leadership.

Guty has indicated he "doesn't necessarily" need an experienced Safety. I don't believe that's the whole story for him.

And look at how many guys are getting available. Surely a couple would fit us well.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Feb 2024 12:49
I don’t understand why we’re talking about signing free agent backup RBs. There is a draft. Backup RBs are what rookie contracts are for
UH OH, YOHO!! :P

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

#FreeWinfield

Edit***

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Kind of weird how really good elite pass rushers hit the open market. Don’t think it happens as much with DT’s and almost never with WR’s.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
04 Mar 2024 09:10
Kind of weird how really good elite pass rushers hit the open market. Don’t think it happens as much with DT’s and almost never with WR’s.

Even more weird that they reportedly turned down 2 1st-round draft picks for him at the trade deadline last season.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

money, money, money, edge rushers want Aaron Donald money, teams are so dependent on pass rush there opening the wallet and over paying edge rushers :idn:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
04 Mar 2024 09:10

Considering they have no one to pay it’s crazy they’re gonna let him go.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Hot take: EDGE is an overrated position. It just takes them too long to get to the QB. EDGE is only worth paying top-dollar if you have a super-elite player like Myles Garrett or Maxx Crosby.

Interior DL and off-ball LBs that can get the QB are more valuable; they apply pressure more quickly and throw off the timing more effectively, making them way more disruptive. I would not pony up at EDGE.
—Magneto

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

BF004 wrote:
04 Mar 2024 08:47

#FreeWinfield

Edit***

It's refreshing to see a guy like Evans play out a career with one team. That is becoming so rare in this era of sports.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
04 Mar 2024 09:38
Hot take: EDGE is an overrated position. It just takes them too long to get to the QB. EDGE is only worth paying top-dollar if you have a super-elite player like Myles Garrett or Maxx Crosby.

Interior DL and off-ball LBs that can get the QB are more valuable; they apply pressure more quickly and throw off the timing more effectively, making them way more disruptive. I would not pony up at EDGE.
really, Brian Gutekunst never got the memo :rotf: Gary barley sparked and got 24 mil annual, obviously the ones that produce even for one season can command big money, and Burns will get it from someone, front 4 pass rush is the most important aspect of a defense these days.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
04 Mar 2024 10:49
Labrev wrote:
really, Brian Gutekunst never got the memo :rotf: Gary barley sparked and got 24 mil annual, obviously the ones that produce even for one season can command big money, and Burns will get it from someone, front 4 pass rush is the most important aspect of a defense these days.
You think Gary's contract is big? The Top-5 EDGE guys get paid significantly more than that, total and/or annual money. Gary's is barely Top-10.
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
04 Mar 2024 11:19
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
You think Gary's contract is big? The Top-5 EDGE guys get paid significantly more than that, total and/or annual money. Gary's is barely Top-10.
6th in contract average.
9th in contract total.
16th in total guarantees.
79th in guarantees as % of total contract.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Interesting year. Kirk and Russell Wilson both likely to be completely urfas.

But still….

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Labrev wrote:

The one thing a good edge rusher can do (if coming from the QB's blind side) is potentially cause a forced fumble (turnover) probably at a higher rate per sack. I do not have a number in front of me proving that, but it kinda of makes sense. One single play like that can win a football game on its own. I guess that's why they pay good left tackles a billion dollars. :aok:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

So, what are the chances that Cousins ends up in Denver? Still a good pocket passer who is coachable. A team-first guy.

Or does the HC have eyes on sombody? Surely the Broncs wouldn't pull a stupid-big draft day trade. Surely...
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
04 Mar 2024 11:19
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
no intent meant that great DT's that can plow through or wash away OL, or double chip blocking aren't more desirable, the reason good edge rushers make big bucks too, is do to the shortage of those 300 lb interior beast :lol:

any time ya stunt or blitz a off ball player ya leave a open spot on the field, I want to see some of that, love it, mostly though I'am counting on the front 4 to get er done, I'll pay whomever produces, aint my money :lol:

counting on resurgence from Gary and a 2nd year leap from LVN and Brooks, same with Slaton, Wyatt, Clark too, thats a pretty solid rotation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I love me some Aaron Jones and think he deserves every penny of what he gets but, unfortunately, dude has near zero leverage in contract talks. Not with the number of big-time FAs hitting the market this year. If the Packers won't budge from him taking a pay cut, Jones either relents or will find himself among those seeking to latch on with another team.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So flooding the market, lol

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Probably be smart to wait 2-3 weeks and see who is left at safety and see how low you can talk some prices down.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

BF004 wrote:
05 Mar 2024 13:33
Probably be smart to wait 2-3 weeks and see who is left at safety and see how low you can talk some prices down.
There certainly is enormous supply. Hard to gauge what demand will be for S. It also could be high with many teams conceivably needing a S with a weak draft for the position. If so the top S FAs could see a market reset.