Home Improvement/Hobby Projects Thread

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
27 Feb 2024 06:39
wallyuwl wrote:
26 Feb 2024 17:20
If you want one, I would just have a water treatment company do it. They usually know more and are cheaper than a plumber for this type of thing.
A plumber? Water treatment company?

:lol:

Uh...no.
I used Aquasana RO for about 4 years, problems with replacing filters, leaks, had to replace containers for filters because there O ring seals wear and Aquasana O rings are the only Orings that work on there equipment, those containers where 70 bucks.

my point is don't use Aquasana, WAlly makes a good point, a pro will use the best equipment, and your instillation specifications sounds like a custom instillation, so simply talking and maybe getting some advice from a pro seems advisable.
my RO ran me about 200.00 a year for filters, possibly other brands could/would be cheaper, I now have a water delivery service that will cost me about 240.00 annual, for the same quality water and I never have leaky filters any more, good luck :aok:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Turns out the reverse osmosis water filtration system may not be such a good idea after all. At least not as a refrigerator install.

My intent was to eliminate the periodic black funk specks that I see in my ice cubes and drinking water that typically grows in stagnant water. If you utilize your refrigerator as your primary water and ice cube source, you likely know what I'm talking about. With me as the sole user (my European wife drinks bottled carbonated water...yuck), we don't use the refrigerator water often enough to prevent it's development.

In the past I'd flush the refrigerator water system with 30% vinegar solution to kill it off. Well, at least most of it to where I wouldn't see it anymore, at least for a while. I figured if I installed a RO system, it'd cure the recurring periodic problem.

Spoke with a chemist friend of mine and in his opinion, a RO system won't cure the problem I'm having, it'll likely amplify it. The problem lies within the tubing of the refrigerator itself. It's not foul proof. Running the 30% vinegar solution through it kills most of it, but not all of it. By introducing RO filtered water (it's non-chlorinated, the chlorine gets filtered out) to the refrigerator system, it'd likely speed the growth of those fouling microbes since there'd be nothing left in the water to fend off the microbial growth.

For RO systems installed under the sink with an accompanied direct feed faucet, it works fine as a pure water source. Unfortunately, you can't eliminate the refrigerator piping so, in theory, the RO system would only serve to accelerate the growth of those impurities within the refrigerator system.

<sigh>

The good news: By speaking about it with my chemist friend, I saved myself about $450 and a significant amount of work that would have likely resulted in making my water source worse than it already is. #win

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

No black funk specs from my 7 year old fridge.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
01 Mar 2024 07:38
Turns out the reverse osmosis water filtration system may not be such a good idea after all. At least not as a refrigerator install.

My intent was to eliminate the periodic black funk specks that I see in my ice cubes and drinking water that typically grows in stagnant water. If you utilize your refrigerator as your primary water and ice cube source, you likely know what I'm talking about. With me as the sole user (my European wife drinks bottled carbonated water...yuck), we don't use the refrigerator water often enough to prevent it's development.

In the past I'd flush the refrigerator water system with 30% vinegar solution to kill it off. Well, at least most of it to where I wouldn't see it anymore, at least for a while. I figured if I installed a RO system, it'd cure the recurring periodic problem.

Spoke with a chemist friend of mine and in his opinion, a RO system won't cure the problem I'm having, it'll likely amplify it. The problem lies within the tubing of the refrigerator itself. It's not foul proof. Running the 30% vinegar solution through it kills most of it, but not all of it. By introducing RO filtered water (it's non-chlorinated, the chlorine gets filtered out) to the refrigerator system, it'd likely speed the growth of those fouling microbes since there'd be nothing left in the water to fend off the microbial growth.

For RO systems installed under the sink with an accompanied direct feed faucet, it works fine as a pure water source. Unfortunately, you can't eliminate the refrigerator piping so, in theory, the RO system would only serve to accelerate the growth of those impurities within the refrigerator system.

<sigh>

The good news: By speaking about it with my chemist friend, I saved myself about $450 and a significant amount of work that would have likely resulted in making my water source worse than it already is. #win
sounds to me like the charcoal filter in the fridge needs replacing, I had those issues years ago with a older fridge I had, rather then replace the filter I bought a new fridge, no more problems, and did that after getting advice from a friend that worked as a appliance repair person for Sears years ago, my fridge at the time was about 15 yrs old, not very old for a fridge, but I wanted a bit bigger, lots of good deals on fridges at the time, good luck.

two heads are better then just mine :lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:

<sigh>

Not sure how old the fridge is, but you might see some benefit by just replacing the water lines.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
03 Mar 2024 12:09
APB wrote:

<sigh>

Not sure how old the fridge is, but you might see some benefit by just replacing the water lines.
Thought about that but it’s pretty old -15ish years - and I’ll prolly just end up buying something new. I do like this model, though, because it has a large ice reservoir, considerably larger than the models that are produced today. And I go through some ice.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

amongst the chaos happening in my life, more plumbing related issues! Dishwasher, garbage disposal, and other stuff under the sink.

Bought a new disposal, that wasn't a big deal. But just bought a new Bosch 800 series dishwasher. Never thought I'd spend $1600 on a dishwasher (w/ extended warranty and haul away of old one)! Hoping it'll be worth it. Should have replaced ours years ago. It's sucked since we moved into the house.

So much stuff that needs replacing. Furnace, windows, siding, gutters, driveway, front porch, back steps and on and on. 1 piece at a time. Probably need a washer & dryer next. My wife keeps whining about her clothes getting eaten by the dryer. Thinking about the all-in-one units, but I'm a bit scared off on the repair history on those. Plus the smaller capacity (my wife over-loads).

Wish I had the time/money for a fun home improvement project. We really want to remove carpet and re-do our hardwood floors. But I don't see the point, the cats will just tear it up like they have every other surface in the house.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
05 Mar 2024 13:29
(w/ extended warranty)
Stop doing that and stop buying insurance, self insure yourself.

If you’d take all your voluntary insurances and warranties you purchased and keep a little contingency fund, you will come out so far ahead.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
05 Mar 2024 13:36
paco wrote:
(w/ extended warranty)

If you’d take all your voluntary insurances and warranties you purchased and keep a little contingency fund, you will come out so far ahead.
I tend to agree. I rarely do the extended warranties. BS on most stuff. But just based off research, I thought it was worth the little extra cost on the dishwasher. In the end, it wasn't that much.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
05 Mar 2024 13:41
BF004 wrote:
paco wrote:
(w/ extended warranty)

I tend to agree. I rarely do the extended warranties. BS on most stuff. But just based off research, I thought it was worth the little extra cost on the dishwasher. In the end, it wasn't that much.
For instance. Do not get insurance on your cell phone. Like $18 a month now or something stupid like that. Between two adults that’s >$400 a year, just keep all that money in a little contingency fund and if a phone breaks, you just suck it up and get a used one off marketplace for like $200 till your previous one is finally paid off.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
05 Mar 2024 14:23
paco wrote:
05 Mar 2024 13:41
BF004 wrote:

For instance. Do not get insurance on your cell phone. Like $18 a month now or something stupid like that. Between two adults that’s >$400 a year, just keep all that money in a little contingency fund and if a phone breaks, you just suck it up and get a used one off marketplace for like $200 till your previous one is finally paid off.
Just cancelled it on my new phone. A lot of new deals make you get it, but you can cancel after the first month. Not to mention, in 20+ years with a cell phone, I've never broken one. Probably jinxed myself, but there is no way it is worth it.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Our washing machine recently crapped the bed and we decided to replace both washer and dryer side-by-side units with stackable set to save on space in our small laundry room. While we had the machines out, we decided it was long past due we update the room.

Complete makeover. New floor, wall paint, cabinets, machines, overhead light...the works. Took a week and now we wonder why we waited so long to rid ourselves of a room we hated. Love it now!

Before / during / after:

Side note: we’ve since painted the side of the cabinet beside the trash can cubby. :oops:
Attachments
20240513_094550.jpg
20240513_094550.jpg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 1009 times
20240513_111507.jpg
20240513_111507.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 1009 times
20240513_154249.jpg
20240513_154249.jpg (4.18 MiB) Viewed 1009 times
20240515_143442.jpg
20240515_143442.jpg (3.53 MiB) Viewed 1009 times
20240516_125736.jpg
20240516_125736.jpg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 1009 times
20240519_122303.jpg