Jordan Freaking Love

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

texas wrote:
20 Jan 2024 22:48
There were a million things that could have been different which would have caused us to win, but I want to highlight one specific thing that I was really hoping would be different with Love (versus Rodgers) but proved to not be, even when it was crunch time and we needed it most.

We need to have a QB who makes plays with his feet. We don't want a QB who does it often, but we have to have a guy who is willing to pick up the first down via running. We had 2 4th quarter drives stall out on instances where Love could have simply run the ball for the first down. That was the difference (well, one of the differences).

This is an element to the game that we just totally leave off the board,
that other good teams are not afraid to utilize. Look at all of the other good QBs, doesn't matter if they are known for throwing or running, they all make plays with their legs.
I am beyond excited about Jordan Love heading into the future. His 2023 performance exceeded my wildest expectations, except, as you point out above, when it came to running the ball.

Jordan just looks hesitant and unnatural as a runner. He had 3, -1, -1, 2, 12, 1, 2, and 10 yards or 28 total yards rushing on 19 attempts over the last 8 games of the season.

And I agree he passed up opportunities when it made sense for him run for a first down.

He also had crucial fumbles against the Giants and Bears late in the season when he did run with the ball.

Jordan also did not look at all comfortable when it came to the QB sneak. Anyone remember game 2 in Atlanta?

It is a good thing that I feel much more confident about Love throwing the ball 20+ yards downfield than I do about him running in the open field, but i'd sure like that aspect of his game to improve in 2024.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

LombardiTime wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:45
Jordan just looks hesitant and unnatural as a runner. He had 3, -1, -1, 2, 12, 1, 2, and 10 yards or 28 total yards rushing on 19 attempts over the last 8 games of the season.

And I agree he passed up opportunities when it made sense for him run for a first down.
Then MLF should design runs for him and -get- him comfortable. QB runs are a huge X-factor that can make the difference in a game.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

LombardiTime wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:45
It is a good thing that I feel much more confident about Love throwing the ball 20+ yards downfield than I do about him running in the open field, but i'd sure like that aspect of his game to improve in 2024.
It is exactly this. I think it would be pretty terrible to have a run-first QB, or a QB who quickly falls back on "instincts" a la Justin Fields. Way better for a QB to focus primarily on throwing. But we need to establish at least some modest ability to make plays with the QB's legs. And right now, we have zero ability to do that, despite having a QB who is young, which is generally when they are able to do that.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I love how Love grew through the year. But next year, I want the offense to do more throwing to Jones and the RBs. Add more screen passes too. They did great at deep throws. But once Tom got hurt, we learned something that isn't a strength about our offense. We are good there. But need to improve.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I hope it comes "our turn"

But there are a lot of legendary players and franchises or teams that never "got their turn"
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jan 2024 18:58
He's right.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Jan 2024 18:22
So just imagine a season where Love:
1. Doesn't need the first half of the season to warm up to being a starter,
2. His WRs/TEs also have a full year of GROWTH behind them,
3. Watson STAYS healthy,
4. Defense offsets at least a few more of the offenses mistakes,
5. One more year in MLF's playbook, and
6. Another season of reading defenses real time.

Oh yeah, if he ever learns how to be any kind of a running threat...

My expectations are VERY high for the offense next year. I really think they are unrealistic and I'll need to temper them down a smidgen. But not too much!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Jan 2024 18:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
3. Watson STAYS healthy,

My expectations are VERY high for the offense next year. I really think they are unrealistic and I'll need to temper them down a smidgen. But not too much!
Had this argument with a few of my troops earlier. Jordan Love went from bottom 10 in the first half of the year (I’d argue bottom 5) and escalated all the way to top 10 at the end of the year.

I’d be shocked if he wasn’t a top 5 QB next season. I keep saying it but the league never saw an in season transformation like this before. He went from absolute dog &%$@ to great in a week and went on a tear.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Glad me and LeFluer think of the exact same play immediately.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Jan 2024 18:57
Scott4Pack wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
3. Watson STAYS healthy,

Had this argument with a few of my troops earlier. Jordan Love went from bottom 10 in the first half of the year (I’d argue bottom 5) and escalated all the way to top 10 at the end of the year.

I’d be shocked if he wasn’t a top 5 QB next season. I keep saying it but the league never saw an in season transformation like this before. He went from absolute dog &%$@ to great in a week and went on a tear.
Jordan Love did not suck early, did he get better later, of course, who doesn't, LOve had to deal with makeshift OL, and a bunch of rookie receivers, both positions took half a season to improve.

I don't know why you and others keep spouting these false comments, I mean it doesn't further the argument that Love might be great, why degrade the guy just to say that? :thwap:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Apr 2024 09:31
me to, that was the only play that came to mind :thwap: :lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
03 Apr 2024 10:23
lupedafiasco wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

3. Watson STAYS healthy,

Jordan Love did not suck early, did he get better later, of course, who doesn't, LOve had to deal with makeshift OL, and a bunch of rookie receivers, both positions took half a season to improve.

I don't know why you and others keep spouting these false comments, I mean it doesn't further the argument that Love might be great, why degrade the guy just to say that? :thwap:
That four game losing streak, the Lions, Raiders, Broncos, and Vikings, he wasn't good enough. The team around him was not good enough, but he definitely wasn't good enough. That was a bad stretch of football from everyone, but it started at QB. I think we went through that entire month without scoring a point in the first half or something ridiculous. He started off pretty nicely, but that 4-game stretch was brutal.

Read More. Post Less.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
03 Apr 2024 10:51
go pak go wrote:
Lately who cares what LaCoach thinks.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
03 Apr 2024 10:59
Yoop wrote:
03 Apr 2024 10:51
go pak go wrote:
Lately who cares what LaCoach thinks.
Yeah! LaCoach can get in his LeCar and drive off into the sunset! /s

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
03 Apr 2024 10:59
Yoop wrote:
03 Apr 2024 10:23
lupedafiasco wrote:

That four game losing streak, the Lions, Raiders, Broncos, and Vikings, he wasn't good enough. The team around him was not good enough, but he definitely wasn't good enough. That was a bad stretch of football from everyone, but it started at QB. I think we went through that entire month without scoring a point in the first half or something ridiculous. He started off pretty nicely, but that 4-game stretch was brutal.
thing is, thats what a QB acts and looks like when there worried about pressure, and he had been dealing with the rush from every gap, free rushers, stunts, not picked up, once all that stuff improved, so did Love, same with the receiver group.

some of this also is a result of not having Jones, in the red zone he's another player a defense has to cover, lack of experience at receiver also makes it tough , that limits the plays Lafleur can call up, not to defend Love, just saying he had a lot of issues to over come besides being a 1st time starter.

whatever, it was exciting to watch Love finish last year with such command of the offense, ability to read defenses, set up his blocking, get everyone on the same page, not to mention some really beautiful passes, I expect he'll be even better this year :aok:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

For Love it's not about being better Year 2. We have seen his peak. I don't think a quarterback can honestly be better than Love's peak. Dallas was THAT good.

For Love it is now about consistency. Love can't have his 4 game stretch early in the season, against the Giants, and more importantly can't falter like he did in the 4th quarter in San Francisco.

Our quarterback needs to rise up in the big moments. We struggle with that. I understand most teams do but Mahommes and Brady have absolutely bucked that trend. I hope Love has that pedigree.
Yoop wrote: