2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
04 Apr 2024 10:25
lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Apr 2024 10:16
I don’t believe anything is worth trading up for unless you want Quinyon Mitchell. I think the value of this class is sitting and waiting for our current roster or even trading down. We need positions of lesser value. S, IOL, LB.

Unless we really believe we can make a huge upgrade over Walker at OT or Stokes/Valentine at CB I don’t see a reason to be moving up in the 1st.

Now if we are talking about moving up in the 2nd or 3rd round I would be all for that.
I love the trade back from 25 idea and then being aggressive in Rounds 2 and 3 with the extra capital.
I agree on this. Then double up on ILB and Safety and take an OT in the 4th round, which has been the sweet spot for the Packers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I think this is the 3rd mock I've seen with us trading our 3rd to move up for Cooper Dejean.

this one from Matt Schneidman perks my interest, with Cooper at slot 19 t5o play CB, Hicks to partner up with McKinny at slot 41, a big swing in or out OL man at 58 with Amegadjie and slot 88 with RB Irving

https://theathletic.com/5380975/2024/04 ... ft-dejean/

to me this would be a great start to this draft, to bad we had to give slot 91 to trade up for Dejean, but I expect he'll prove worthy of it.

football Christmas is only 3 weeks away :aok:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
04 Apr 2024 09:29
BF004 wrote:
04 Apr 2024 09:12
Also who’s up for a group mock draft?

I know @Backthepack4ever will be in.

Others?
I could take a lap through.
Bumpski, get in now or forever hold your peace.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
05 Apr 2024 09:11
NCF wrote:
04 Apr 2024 09:29
BF004 wrote:
04 Apr 2024 09:12
Also who’s up for a group mock draft?

I know @Backthepack4ever will be in.

Others?
I could take a lap through.
Bumpski, get in now or forever hold your peace.
In.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
04 Apr 2024 22:06
BF004 wrote:
04 Apr 2024 21:48
@paco

Where is that draft competition at?

You get it started, I'll help you update it again.
Forums working again :aok:
I should have some time to work on it tomorrow. I'll post a thread when its ready.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Intriguing safety prospect brought in by GB for a visit:
https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/2024-kit ... raft-visit
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Labrev wrote:
05 Apr 2024 14:32
24 in early October. But hard to avoid that these days. Sounds like a guy to target day 3 if he's there. Maybe in the 3rd.
RIP JustJeff

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
Really the Packers only have 1 competent Safety. They need another starter and a backup. I am all for trading down from the 1st round and taking 2 safeties in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. This guy checks all the boxes and might be available at the end of the 3rd.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Apr 2024 14:58
Labrev wrote:
Really the Packers only have 1 competent Safety. They need another starter and a backup. I am all for trading down from the 1st round and taking 2 safeties in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. This guy checks all the boxes and might be available at the end of the 3rd.
I will never be for trading down to double dip and reach for a position. The draft is unpredictable that thought process is risky. Get good damn players and move on. We have a ton of picks. I don't want more I want quality if we can't find a safety in this bad safety class then get a vet. There are options still.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
07 Apr 2024 20:00
I will never be for trading down to double dip and reach for a position. The draft is unpredictable that thought process is risky. Get good damn players and move on. We have a ton of picks. I don't want more I want quality if we can't find a safety in this bad safety class then get a vet. There are options still.
I agree that addressing needs in the draft is a risky business. That's why trading down might not be a terrible idea instead of putting all eggs in one basket.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Labrev wrote:
If it's quality you're after...our hit percentage in Round 2 historically seems to be on par to our hit percentage in round 1.

Since 2010 I am counting 5 picks that are hits in round 1 (Bulaga, Clark, Jaw, Gary, Love). 5 out of 15....Our 2nd rounders is at least 6 in that same time frame: (Cobb, Hayward, Adams, Jenkins, Watson, Reed)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

go pak go wrote:
08 Apr 2024 09:59
Backthepack4ever wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

If it's quality you're after...our hit percentage in Round 2 historically seems to be on par to our hit percentage in round 1.

Since 2010 I am counting 5 picks that are hits in round 1 (Bulaga, Clark, Jaw, Gary, Love). 5 out of 15....Our 2nd rounders is at least 6 in that same time frame: (Cobb, Hayward, Adams, Jenkins, Watson, Reed)
Right. So if the Packers really like someone instead of adding to our 11 picks let's go get that guy. Can be in any round. My point is I don't want 15 guys this year. Let's get 7 or 8 of the prospects they really want.

I'm not against trading down if you get a great offer and don't like the board I just feel this is the year to plug in the few guys you really like and be aggressive in landing them

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
08 Apr 2024 10:20
Right. So if the Packers really like someone instead of adding to our 11 picks let's go get that guy. Can be in any round. My point is I don't want 15 guys this year. Let's get 7 or 8 of the prospects they really want.
It's easier to do that in the middle rounds if you make the high round sacrifice in Round 1 to move down. I like the strategy to move down in Round 1 for a targeted player that is a "reach" at 25 and then trading up in Round 2/3/4, whatever, multiple times to get other targets. I am pretty good anywhere between 7-11 picks.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I think if Dejean slides to 18 Guty will be looking to trade up, jack of all secondary trades, possibly even a master at some, would be a great fit at 3 different position for Hafley, and we love that kind of versatility.

or possibly one of the OL man.

either way we have the ammo to do a move up, or sit pat and still get a starting caliber play

no more groomers, why people still think Gary was a great pick baffles me, we got 1.5 seasons of production out of a 5 year rookie contract, to me it's not just how great a player is, it's what do you do for us on game day, and I want full time players in round one.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
08 Apr 2024 11:58
no more groomers,
Man, you must have really hated the Van Ness pick. He was a raw prospect that didn't produce much, and we had Gary, Smith, and Enagbare. What a waste of a pick to draft a guy who is 4th in the pecking order, and EDGE wasn't even a need!

... no wait, you did not hate it, because he was a popular draft choice for GB.

why people still think Gary was a great pick baffles me, we got 1.5 seasons of production out of a 5 year rookie contract, to me it's not just how great a player is, it's what do you do for us on game day,
Obviously he is a great player because of what he does for us on game day, which is what makes him a great pick, not to mention the fact that of the players that remained on the board at the time, he was clearly one of the best options available (not just for us, but any team).

We could have gone for a player at a position of greater need, but a lot of those players turned out to be busts.
Last edited by Labrev on 08 Apr 2024 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
08 Apr 2024 12:13
admittedly I don't dive as deep as you and others here Paco, but Cooper ends up first after my little forays into draft prospects.

I think he could play all 5 positions in a secondary at a high level, super football instincts/IQ :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
08 Apr 2024 12:11
Yoop wrote:
08 Apr 2024 11:58
no more groomers,
Man, you must have really hated the Van Ness pick. He was a raw prospect that didn't produce much, and we had Gary, Smith, and Enagbare. What a waste of a pick to draft a guy who is 4th in the pecking order, and EDGE wasn't even a need!

... no wait, you did not hate it, because he was a popular draft choice for GB.

why people still think Gary was a great pick baffles me, we got 1.5 seasons of production out of a 5 year rookie contract, to me it's not just how great a player is, it's what do you do for us on game day,
Obviously he is a great player because of what he does for us on game day, which is what makes him a great pick, not to mention the fact that of the players that remained on the board at the time, he was clearly one of the best options available (not just for us, but any team).

We could have gone for a player at a position of greater need, but a lot of those players turned out to be busts.
I tend to hate all DL draft picks, even though we have to draft em, most bust, or never come close to playing up to draft slotting on a consistent basis, same with edge rushers.

LVN was a popular GB pick because we can't depend on Gary, plus preston is near his wall, Mathews is the best edge rusher we've drafted in the last 40 years, that should be all you need to know about our success drafting edge rushers, and Clark the best DT in the last 30 years, again we have no choice but to draft these guys, however the return has rarely equaled the resources used to get them. jmo.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
08 Apr 2024 12:13
25 and 89 should be able to get us to 19 (Rams) or 20 (Steelers)

Pick 92 instead of 89 would actually be slightly more even according to trade value charts.

25+58 could get us to either 14 (NO) or 15 (Indy)

25+41 to 9 (Chi) or 10 (NYJ). Would be kind of funny to give the Jets their 2nd rounder back to get the first rounder, which would have happened if Erin didn't get hurt. This draft would have a whole other feel for sure if we had like 14-16 + 25. Don't think the Jets make the playoffs with him, real tough division and that team has some demons.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Anyone see what his RAS is as a CB?