2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
09 Apr 2024 14:50
Low 4.4 with explosion, I wonder if you reverse course with McKinney if you draft DeJean: have Cooper play the free-safety and X play in the box. McKinney is a quality FS and I know that's the plan, but he may be a bit better as the do-it-all guy, and it's also kind of the plan by default because we have no one at S and that position is harder to find. DeJean is best with eyes on the QB (Andy just did a video on him), has high IQ, and the test scores suggest he has the range.
I don't think you can live with that investment in X at box safety. I liked the idea of DeJean at S at first, but I think I have reversed course both because of his skill set and because of McKinney. I think DeJean is a high end NB in this defense, but that is really the only fit I truly like.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Justis' Packers threshold big board.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2024 ... -nfl-draft
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

NCF wrote:
09 Apr 2024 16:31
I don't think you can live with that investment in X at box safety.
I'm cool with it. He might be able to make more plays closer to the ball. I can hear an argument that he's more valuable over the top preventing deep passes even if it doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but the fact he can do whatever we want at a high level is why we paid him. I think the safeties are supposed to be interchangeable anyway.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Click the thread for more.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Honestly I don't think the Packers need a starting OT. And it is a waste of a high pick to take one. Reasons:
#1 Tom is a potential All Pro at RT
#2 Walker is an average LT now. Since this will be only his 2nd year as a starter and he improved steadily all season, there is no reason he can't be an above average LT. He has all the physical attributes you want.
#3 Prior to his getting hurt, the Packers viewed him as better than Walker. They could have cut him with an injury settlement, they didn't. And they promoted him to active at the end of the season even though they did not need him. It is entirely possible that he can be the swing tackle.
#4 They have kept Jones, there must be a reason. He is huge but slow. Speed and agility can improve and he does not need to weigh 370 pounds. If he is down to 340 and less sloppy fat he might have the necessary quickness now.

What the Packers need is an interior starter. The fact that Ryhan was not able to beat out JRJ is not encouraging. And with the loss of JRJ, they don't have a backup, unless you regard Royce Newman as serviceable.

Drafting an interior lineman or an OT that can also play guard in the 4-6 rounds makes sense. Then if he works out cut either Jones or Tenuta. If he doesn't, put him on the PS or cut him if he has little potential. Also bring in a UDFA hoping that he makes the PS.

The Packers need starters at Safety, ILB and slot corner. These take priority over OLine backups. IMO doubling up at these positions is better than moving up in the first round. And anything is better than drafting an lineman, either O or D to sit on the bench

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 Apr 2024 04:11
Honestly I don't think the Packers need a starting OT. And it is a waste of a high pick to take one. Reasons:
#2 Walker is an average LT now. Since this will be only his 2nd year as a starter and he improved steadily all season, there is no reason he can't be an above average LT. He has all the physical attributes you want.
I would definitely prefer the Packers to bring in competition for Walker for the left tackle spot. They might not have to spend an early rounder on the position to make that work.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

You can tell the draft is getting close. Absolutes everywhere, on both sides.

OL - Need a new starting LT, C, and RG, or it's not a need at all and should focus on defense again.
CB - Not a need at all and we should get 10 OL, CB is a big need and we should grab one or trade up for 1.
S - Need a compliment for McKinney or OMG draft 8 even know they all suck!
DT - Gotta replace Kenny now or no, we are set there for years.
LB - Draft 3 even know they all suck. Ok, that might actually be a consensus opinion!
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
10 Apr 2024 10:36

OL - Need a new starting LT, C, and RG, or it's not a need at all and should focus on defense again.
CB - Not a need at all and we should get 10 OL, CB is a big need and we should grab one or trade up for 1.
LB - Draft 3 even know they all suck. Ok, that might actually be a consensus opinion!
Leading up to The Draft. Everyone sucks. No perfect players anywhere!! After The Draft. Everyone is awesome. Weaknesses be damned, look at all these things they can do to help us!!

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Nice

Make sure the Vikings way overpay or go into the year and probably end up losing Jefferson as a result.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
10 Apr 2024 11:48
paco wrote:

Leading up to The Draft. Everyone sucks. No perfect players anywhere!! After The Draft. Everyone is awesome. Weaknesses be damned, look at all these things they can do to help us!!
except for lupe it's the opposite. Everyone (except 1 out of 20 picks) is bum sauce until 20 games of awesomeness before he comes around.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
10 Apr 2024 16:52
NCF wrote:
paco wrote:

except for lupe it's the opposite. Everyone (except 1 out of 20 picks) is bum sauce until 20 games of awesomeness before he comes around.
I actually like @lupedafiasco's counter points to (generally) everybody's excessive exuberance for anything/everything the Packers do. His arguments provide balance. Not saying he or anybody else is always correct 100% of the time but it's nice to have somebody among the faithful willing to point out blemishes in players/organizational decisions.

And lupe does it with a flare for humor and hyperbole that you just don't get from Mel Kiper, I might add. :lol:

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

APB wrote:
11 Apr 2024 07:37
go pak go wrote:
10 Apr 2024 16:52
NCF wrote:

I actually like @lupedafiasco's counter points to (generally) everybody's excessive exuberance for anything/everything the Packers do. His arguments provide balance. Not saying he or anybody else is always correct 100% of the time but it's nice to have somebody among the faithful willing to point out blemishes in players/organizational decisions.

And lupe does it with a flare for humor and hyperbole that you just don't get from Mel Kiper, I might add. :lol:
Agree, but don't forget. "Who the hell is Mel Kiper anyway?" I do enjoy Lupe's sometime over the top, takes though. Sometimes I agree with him. Sometimes I don't.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Mel Kiper is booty bum sauce compared to Lupe!!! :mrgreen:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

My latest, tried to trade up but ended up staying put but traded back later, draft. Seriously doubt we come away with 13 selections. But it affords me the opportunity to fill most spots I'd like to. Meant to grab an Edge earlier and missed my last target early in the 6th. In this scenario, I think I expect DeJean to play more CB, but who knows.

Tell me who's good and who sucks.
image.png
image.png (60.5 KiB) Viewed 307 times
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
11 Apr 2024 07:37

And lupe does it with a flare for humor and hyperbole that you just don't get from Mel Kiper, I might add.
I fully agree with you about appreciating lupe's willingness to express independent original opinions in delightfully colorful language.... but I do think the trope about the active posters always approving of the Packers' moves is just a tired, lazy, inaccurate observation made (generally) by a handful of people who usually see everything the Packers do as disappointing.

The gap is mainly between evaluations of individual actions (which there is always a wide variety of opinion by all on this board regardless of the individual action the team has taken) and the broader positive/negative vibes about the team/front office as a whole.

Those who are pessimists can't get over all the missed chances and lack of a championship for the past 13 years. The optimists hang their hats on the fact that the team has been among the best in the league in wins, playoff appearances, division titles, and overall competitiveness for an insane length of time that the rest of the league envies.

The reactions to "everything the team does," however, are routinely and always varied on here.

But I suppose that's a bit of a diversion from the point--and yes, the pre-draft vibes and post draft vibes are a funny mix of bias-influenced reactions.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

What if an unexpected name drops to us.

How do you feel about:
Jared Verse
Brock Bowers
Brian Thomas Jr
Laiatu Latu
Olu Fashanu
Troy Fautanu
Taliese Fuaga

Not very often have I seen these guys mocked 25 or later.

Anyone you really like? You'd pull the trigger on, continue to pass?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I do have a funny feeling that Olu will slide, or maybe Latham, with guys like Mims and Fautanu maybe having more support inside NFL circles than people realize.

As for the names...

Verse: yes.
Bowers: Yes.
Thomas: no.
Latu: Yes.
Olu: fine.
Fautanu: Yes please! I believe he will go before 25.
Fauga: YES PLEASE!!
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
11 Apr 2024 14:46
What if an unexpected name drops to us.

How do you feel about:
Jared Verse
Brock Bowers
Brian Thomas Jr
Laiatu Latu
Olu Fashanu
Troy Fautanu
Taliese Fuaga

Not very often have I seen these guys mocked 25 or later.

Anyone you really like? You'd pull the trigger on, continue to pass?
Jared Verse - HELL YES
Brock Bowers - This would be tough. Likely not
Brian Thomas Jr - Probably
Laiatu Latu - Yes, Yes
Olu Fashanu - Yes
Troy Fautanu - Yes, Yes
Taliese Fuaga - Yes, Yes
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I mostly agree with go pack except for my hesitance on Latu’s medical

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I'd be on board with any of those guys with varying degrees of enthusiasm but all overwhelmingly positive.