MarShawn Lloyd, RB, USC, 2024 3rd round pick#88

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Grade

Poll ended at 03 May 2024 21:52

A
25%
B
50%
C
6%
D
19%
F
No votes

Total votes: 16

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Good lord he fumbled every 36 touches according to under dog. He also only hit the designed hole on 56% of runs.

He looks big and shifty but he’s loose with the ball like Lesean McCoy. When he jukes he leaves the ball behind.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

WhiskeyIndigo
Reactions:

Post by WhiskeyIndigo »

Finding yards is the mission. Once the ball is snapped, it’s 70% chaos, two opposing ideas, like the 1976 Electric Football by Tudor game. When it works, they make geniuses out of the players, assistant coaches and head coaches. But most of the game is commercials, lining up your men, and stuffing that tiny foam football into your chosen RB’s armpit.

I have a feeling this guy may do well. Lest we forget, the Packers drafted three RBs in 2017. The first one in the 4th round was Jamaal Williams. The next was Aaron Jones in the 5th. And rounding it out was Devante Mays in the 7th.

Also, the preseason that rookie Taysom Hill clowned the Redskins defense on a brutal and nifty 23 yard run as a 4th stringer. Ted cut him a week later. Well, Zed’s dead and Hill is still in the league. He chose Brett Hundley as a backup. This was a demarcation of his swiftly declining capacities and no one had the balls to step in and place a bed in his office. Much to the detriment of paying fans everywhere.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Apr 2024 09:40
Yoop wrote:
27 Apr 2024 09:33
Waldo wrote:
27 Apr 2024 08:48

TBH write ups on him make me think shorter Ryan Grant. Same strengths and weaknesses.

Guy was banged up a lot and lost his hot sauce pretty early, but for a bit there he could house it as well as any RB in the league. One cut and go slasher style that just ran away from everyone.

Jones' big plays include a lot of improvisation, he wasn't really a one cut and go guy. In my years of watching packer football, Jones had the best natural vision of any back GB has had. The guy just found yards, always.
was hoping #88 or #91 would be a RB, while this is not the name I expected, it seems like Lloyd is exactly the typw we wanted, quick, explosive, think he'll be a great fit.

Agree about Jones, hope this kid has some of that patience to let blocks form and vision to take advantage the way Jones, or Grant did, like this pick.
Lloyd was exactly the name I expected and wanted.

I was targeting that Tier II and Tier III back because I didn't think we needed to spend a premium Rd 2 on a RB. So the guys I was really targeting going into the draft was:

Marshawn Lloyd - Late Rd 3/Early Rd 4
Isaiah Davis - Late R4/Rd 5
George Holani - Late Rd 5 or later
had company last night for the draft, and they are not really football fans, at least not to the extent of most of us, so I was not paying the attention I normally would, anyway I thought all the RB's where still available, Wright was my choice, however Lloyd seems better fit, isn't Brooks the only one taken prior to Lloyd???? suppose I should just look it up

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Apr 2024 09:49
Good lord he fumbled every 36 touches according to under dog. He also only hit the designed hole on 56% of runs.

He looks big and shifty but he’s loose with the ball like Lesean McCoy. When he jukes he leaves the ball behind.
:rotf: you never fail me :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Apr 2024 09:49

Yeah I don't know if he will be the primary guy. Consistency is a problem. But he is a home run hitter and I think that fits perfect for what we need based on what we currently have in the RB room.

I think AJ Dillon is a terrible #2 back if the primary back is healthy. AJ requires carries to get going to be effective. Your #2 guy won't see more than 8 carries. So you want your #2 to be able to take it to the house. I do think AJ Dillon is a fine #3 back if needed to step in when Jacobs misses games. Also think AJ will have a leg up in pass blocking as your 3rd down back
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

I am kinda just wait and see. I think one of the scouting report negatives was vision. I kinda agree with that. Hope it works because I don't want AJ Dillon getting a crap load of carries as "Go pack Go" mentioned early. Pass protection might be something to worry about, but may just need to be coached on that. It is something that will limit his snaps if he can't become descent at it. You can't get your QB killed.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Gotta fix the fumbling problem.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Apr 2024 11:00
Agree. Also, one of the reasons I mentioned vision is just because Aaron Jones seemed to be one of the best. Avg per carry was always great because he saw holes quicker and faster than most guys. I believe that. Guys will have to try to live up to his great production.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packers OTC

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

126 to 111 with the Jets.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

MY_TAKE wrote:
27 Apr 2024 10:35
I am kinda just wait and see. I think one of the scouting report negatives was vision. I kinda agree with that. Hope it works because I don't want AJ Dillon getting a crap load of carries as "Go pack Go" mentioned early. Pass protection might be something to worry about, but may just need to be coached on that. It is something that will limit his snaps if he can't become descent at it. You can't get your QB killed.
I STRONGLY disagree with vision as a negative. Patience and discipline, yes., But VISION? No. He sees the field really well. He just tries to go east-west and bounce things more often. But his OLine was so bad that the whole offense was sort of playing street ball--hence all the Caleb Williams off-schedule stuff.

The pass protection and fumbling are real issues. The durability despite limited uses is a reason for pause. But I like everything else about this guy. I mean Aaron Jones genuinely isn't a bad comparison. The speed is real, the vision is good, the receiving aspect looks very promising, the usage is limited, the fumbling is unfortunate, and the durability is mildly less than ideal. Shorter but thick. Like genuinely Aaron Jones is a good comp here. Tons of similarities on field and measurably.

Just gotta hope we can get him to take what's there more often around the line of scrimmage

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Apr 2024 13:33
MY_TAKE wrote:
I STRONGLY disagree with vision as a negative. Patience and discipline, yes., But VISION? No. He sees the field really well. He just tries to go east-west and bounce things more often. But his OLine was so bad that the whole offense was sort of playing street ball--hence all the Caleb Williams off-schedule stuff.

The pass protection and fumbling are real issues. The durability despite limited uses is a reason for pause. But I like everything else about this guy. I mean Aaron Jones genuinely isn't a bad comparison. The speed is real, the vision is good, the receiving aspect looks very promising, the usage is limited, the fumbling is unfortunate, and the durability is mildly less than ideal. Shorter but thick. Like genuinely Aaron Jones is a good comp here. Tons of similarities on field and measurably.

Just gotta hope we can get him to take what's there more often around the line of scrimmage
would you say a boom or bust (maybe to strong a word choice) type pick? to me Gute went for his upside, if as you say several skills are coached up he could be a boom RB.

I liked several RB's more that went later, but Lloyd could be much better, got to trust the GM knows far more then I do.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

No--the only bust I see is the fumbling. He's absolutely a solid rotational RB with starting upside. He may boom, but he doesn't feel high-variance to me. He's got contact balance, vision, tackle-breaking, and athleticism. He's got everything you need. Not a risky kind of player or someone in need of much development or refinement, aside from fumbling and pass pro. He can have a role from the jump.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Apr 2024 13:33
MY_TAKE wrote:

Hope your right! :aok:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Lloyd definitely has vision. He finds the space to make thing work. I think he actually does an incredible job setting himself up to avoid the LBs and go against DBs where he can power through them.

This is a good pick if we can clean up his fumbles but I have always been of the mind that players that are careless with the ball will always be that way. They can’t help themselves. You can still be productive though.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Apr 2024 21:54
Lloyd definitely has vision. He finds the space to make thing work. I think he actually does an incredible job setting himself up to avoid the LBs and go against DBs where he can power through them.

This is a good pick if we can clean up his fumbles but I have always been of the mind that players that are careless with the ball will always be that way. They can’t help themselves. You can still be productive though.
James Jones fixed it. Aaron Jones was a fumbler initially. But maybe this kid can't fix it, his name isn't Jones.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pckfn23 wrote:
This. Or he will not make the PS.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
28 Apr 2024 03:42
Pckfn23 wrote:
This. Or he will not make the PS.
wha????? come on now, we didn't spend slot 88 to expose him to any taker

Fumbling is a technique issue, how a RB holds the ball, receivers have dropsies which is also considered poor tech, this is why the nfl has position coaches to teach proper technique

lots of college RB's have fumbling issues that needed corrective measures, Adrian Peterson was a fumbler, and corrected it, plenty of others as well

https://highandtight.com/blogs/news/fum ... ore-ravens