Rank the Roster 2024: #5

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers

Poll ended at 05 May 2024 09:43

Kenny Clark
33%
Elgton Jenkins
28%
Christian Watson
14%
Preston Smith
No votes
AJ Dillon
No votes
Keisean Nixon
No votes
Quay Walker
No votes
Romeo Doubs
No votes
Devonte Wyatt
No votes
Lukas Van Ness
No votes
Josh Myers
No votes
Eric Stokes
No votes
Luke Musgrave
No votes
TJ Slaton
No votes
Kingsley Enagbare
No votes
Jayden Reed
6%
Xavier McKinney
11%
Josh Jacobs
8%
Tucker Kraft
No votes

Total votes: 36

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2024: #5

Post by Waldo »

It looks like things are following the typical tier pattern, where big drops in % of vote indicate a new tier. It seems like there are a lot of guys that belong on this one. The blue chip (+QB) tier is lighter than it has been, its usually 4 players deep (QB+3), peaking in 2020 at 6 (7?) players deep. That year they'd go on to go 13-3 and lose in the conference championship, so our optimistic ratings were warranted. OTOH I think things are setting up to have a wide red tier this year.

Rank The Roster: 2024 Edition

1. Jordan Love (53%)[+8]
2. Rashan Gary (36%)[+3]
3. Jaire Alexander (48%)[-2]
4. Zach Tom (27%)[+13]
5. Current (xx%)[--]

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2023 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll. You may vote up to TWO players (a change that was made mid-poll last year, seemed to work well).

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 15-20 guys, new players added in bunches every few days).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2023
Rank the Roster: 2022
Rank the Roster: 2021
Rank the Roster: 2020
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

In contrast to previous years, I'm going to change things up and do polls on the weekend. My schedule has changed since I first started this, I have some time on the weekends.

I went Clark first then Watson.

Clark is still one of the best DT's in the league when he's on, the maturing of the guys next to him should pay dividends in Clark's play. I expect both Wyatt and LVN to take some notable steps forward; both flashed last year and showed why they were first rounders.

Somebody has to be Love's #1 WR. If Watson stays healthy, he's that guy. He's the best of of the bunch at getting open and going to get it.

There are a lot of guys on this tier I think. I even put LVN on the tail end. He made some nice plays last year, I think he has a bigger role this year.

I didn't add anyone this round, it doesn't seem like anyone is missing. Next up I'll add the round 1-2 rookies (Morgan, Cooper, Bullard) in a batch, each has a pretty good shot of starting.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I'll go clark and Jenkins first, then McKinney
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Watson and Clark.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I think Jenkins is more consistent than Clark, so Jenkins #5 and Clark #6
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I missed the first few polls, so I'll put my opinion here.

Jordan Love at #1 is incorrect. His game against Dallas was better than any playoff game I can remember from Rodgers. But his 2nd half against the Niners was about as bad as Rodgers' worst playoff games. The jury is still out although I am incredibly optimistic and enthused about what we have at QB.

I think when it is all said and done, we are going to look back at this period of Packers history and realize that our receiving corps is elite, even better than the 2010 group. I would probably put the main 4 WRs in the top 10 on this poll.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

If Love’s worst is guiding to the team to a 4 point lead, at the 2 minute warning, in SF in a divisional playoff game, I’ll take that every time. The last pass was bad, for sure, but it should not have come down to that.

Read More. Post Less.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Clark and Watson for me.

Clark is so important in the middle, commands attention up the middle.
Watson, when healthy is an absolute beast of a talent.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

NCF wrote:
04 May 2024 13:03
If Love’s worst is guiding to the team to a 4 point lead, at the 2 minute warning, in SF in a divisional playoff game, I’ll take that every time. The last pass was bad, for sure, but it should not have come down to that.
His whole 2nd half was bad, iirc. Maybe I'm wrong. But it was reminiscent of the first half of the 2023 season, during which he was worse than Rodgers ever was. In any event, I don't think he should be #1 but I missed the vote and discussion so :idn:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Also as far as this vote in concerned, I put Reed and Watson. I have no problem with Clark and Jenkins going here, but I think all of the starting 4 WRs should be coming up soon.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I did Reed and X. If I had to pick right now, I think Reed is our best and most reliable WR. Watson is the most talented but not reliable.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:

Had to go with Jenkins and Clark, people say Clark was inconsistent, but it's hard to name a DT in the league that is 100% of the snaps, most endurance robbing position in the game, and Clark ios still one of the best.
Jenkins and Toms is a tough choice, I flipped a coin, :lol: Tom won, but I just had to get Clark off this list today, Jenks is next
Last edited by Yoop on 04 May 2024 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
04 May 2024 13:36
NCF wrote:
His whole 2nd half was bad, iirc. Maybe I'm wrong. But it was reminiscent of the first half of the 2023 season, during which he was worse than Rodgers ever was. In any event, I don't think he should be #1 but I missed the vote and discussion so :idn:
hard to disagree, even though I'd like to :lol: , between Dallas and the last half against the Niners we saw 2 different Jordan Love's, or the early season Love who looked like he was crapping razor blades, tension causes racing brain, and poor decision making, to much thinking, my point is should we (just asking) use that half of a very high pressure game as the nucleus of his grade, when he was HOF good for 5 games prior?

I think not :rotf: :rotf:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Yoop wrote:
04 May 2024 15:31
texas wrote:
04 May 2024 13:36
NCF wrote:
hard to disagree, even though I'd like to :lol: , between Dallas and the last half against the Niners we saw 2 different Jordan Love's, or the early season Love who looked like he was crapping razor blades, tension causes racing brain, and poor decision making, to much thinking, my point is should we (just asking) use that half of a very high pressure game as the nucleus of his grade, when he was HOF good for 5 games prior?

I think not :rotf: :rotf:
Yeah I generally agree. Hard to argue that he shouldn't be ranked highly, but I just think that there's still enough of a question mark that he shouldn't be #1. That being said, I don't know who I would put #1. Maybe Jaire or Zach Tom. I hope next season Love can be indisputably #1 and begin a stretch of 10-plus years at that spot, like Rodgers.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I went McKinney and Jacobs.

McKinney is coming off the best year of the group according to PFF. In a league where safeties are barely getting paid we went out and PAID him. That speaks on his level of talent.

Jacobs was a rushing leader before the Raiders offensive line and QB play went to &%$@. Last year Oakland was a disaster from surrounding talent to bad defense outside of Crosby, to their coaching situation. He will get a big boost just by everything around him being significantly better here.

Jenkins is still a great player and has dealt with a lot of injuries as of late. If he comes back healthy we may get more from him. The offensive line should be much improved with another year of development across the board and with a fresh batch of rookies to push the unit to be better.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The two new FAs for me, again.

McKinney and Jacobs getting the cold shoulder because they’re new. The Packers went and PAID these guys for a reason. They are talented players who are gonna be impactful.

Aaron Jones would have already been gone were he still a Packer. Jacobs getting barely a mention at this point is criminal.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

McKinney and Jenkins.

If McKinney is a deep pass eraser and nothing else he will be worth every penny. I think he will give us more than that: veteran leadership, maybe green dot, will probably also see some snaps in the box and make plays from there.

Jenkins: same reasons as Tom minus T value.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Clark here easy then Jenkins and a group of guys

GB feels it way more when Clark is out over Jenkins or Watson. This DL is not the same without Clark. The OL and WR groups do fine.

We do need Clark to play more consistent but at his best he still can dominate

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I chose Watson and Jacobs. I would like to have chosen a defensive player instead of 2 offensive players but I think that Quay and LVN are a year away and Clark is just a good player and not a difference maker as we hoped he would become. Clark is at his career peak now and probably in the top 10 for NFL Dlinemen, but not top 5.

Watson and Jacobs are difference makers. A Defense has to focus on them. They keep the opposing defensive coordinators awake with nightmares. They give opposing players a sick feeling in the pit of their stomach and make them pray that they won't be humiliated. fyi, no one worries like that about Jenkins.

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Easily Clark for me. Dude had 7.5 sacks, 2 Forced fumbles and 3 passes batted. He is reliable as they come.

Jenkins I've forgotten about recently, but that can be a good thing. Jacobs and McKinney are right there too. Watson needs to prove he can stay healthy for me to put him above any of those guys.