Rank the Roster 2024: #8

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers

Poll ended at 10 May 2024 12:45

Christian Watson
7%
Preston Smith
18%
AJ Dillon
No votes
Keisean Nixon
No votes
Quay Walker
4%
Romeo Doubs
4%
Devonte Wyatt
No votes
Lukas Van Ness
4%
Josh Myers
No votes
Eric Stokes
No votes
Luke Musgrave
No votes
TJ Slaton
No votes
Kingsley Enagbare
No votes
Jayden Reed
18%
Josh Jacobs
43%
Tucker Kraft
No votes
Jordan Morgan
No votes
Javon Bullard
No votes
MarShawn Lloyd
No votes
Dontayvion Wicks
4%

Total votes: 28

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2024: #8

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2024 Edition

1. Jordan Love (53%)[+8]
2. Rashan Gary (36%)[+3]
3. Jaire Alexander (48%)[-2]
4. Zach Tom (27%)[+13]
5. Kenny Clark (33%)[-1]
6. Xavier McKinney (35%)[FA]
7. Elgton Jenkins (47%)[-1]
8. Current (xx%)[--]

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2023 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll. You may vote up to TWO players (a change that was made mid-poll last year, seemed to work well).

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 15-20 guys, new players added in bunches every few days).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2023
Rank the Roster: 2022
Rank the Roster: 2021
Rank the Roster: 2020
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Preston and Jacobs for me. Dontayvion on in the hole.

Read More. Post Less.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Wicks added by popular demand.

I really think WR's should be getting votes, but I'm just not sure which one. Reed seems the most electric, most likely to do something with it.

Ranking the WR's by 2023 catch %:
Reed - 68.1
Wicks - 67.2
Melton - 66.7
Heath - 62.5
Doubs - 61.5
Watson - 52.8
Toure - 44.4

Ranking the WR's by 2023 yards per target:
Wicks - 10.0
Melton - 9.1
Reed - 8.4
Watson - 8.0
Doubs - 7.0
Heath - 5.2
Toure - 4.3

Ranking the WR's by 2023 receiving success rate:
Melton - 62.5
Wicks - 62.1
Reed - 51.1
Doubs - 51.0
Watson - 50.9
Heath - 41.7
Toure - 27.8

Turnovers:
Wicks - 3
Reed - 2
Doubs - 1
Toure - 1

2023 First Downs:
Doubs - 41
Reed - 32
Wicks - 29
Watson - 20
Melton - 13
Heath - 6
Toure - 4

2023 TD's:
Doubs - 8
Reed - 8
Watson - 5
Wicks - 4
Melton - 1
Heath - 1

Just looking at the stats, you do have to consider use. Doubs led the team in targets; being the guy the QB throws to under duress doesn't help the efficiency stats. Likewise with Melton's ypt and success, he wasn't the attention of the defense. Of the heavily used WR's, Reed was clearly more efficient than Watson or Doubs. Wicks was borderline heavy used, and his efficiency stats are quite good, 3 lost fumbles though is rough. Based off the data I rank them Reed, Wicks, Watson, Doubs

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Jacobs, then Reed.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Jacobs, then Reed, Wicks, Watson, and Doubs all together.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

I have a single vote on Jacobs, haven't used another. I expect the idea is he'll be an even bigger part of the offense than Jones was, in which case next year we're talking top 5, does he belong on the blue tier.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 May 2024 13:32
then Reed, Wicks, Watson, and Doubs all together.
I wonder if Musgrave and Kraft should be part of this bloc as well, and where they rank. I think Musgrave is analogous to Watson as a homerun hitter with availability and refinement issues. Kraft is going to be incredibly useful to this offense in ways that will not often show up on the stat-sheet; two-way TEs have always been invaluable in the Kubiak/Shanahan scheme MLF runs.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

This should easily be Jacobs and Reed. I can’t even see anyone else worth voting for here.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Labrev wrote:
09 May 2024 16:29
Pckfn23 wrote:
I wonder if Musgrave and Kraft should be part of this bloc as well, and where they rank. I think Musgrave is analogous to Watson as a homerun hitter with availability and refinement issues. Kraft is going to be incredibly useful to this offense in ways that will not often show up on the stat-sheet; two-way TEs have always been invaluable in the Kubiak/Shanahan scheme MLF runs.
I was just going to say, I wonder what the ranks will look like at the end of next season. I have a suspicion that Kraft and/or Musgrave will be on peoples minds. I hope so, because I believe that will mean we had a very good offensive season.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
09 May 2024 16:29
Pckfn23 wrote:
They will follow close behind.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Jacobs, Reed on deck, then Wicks, Skill position players win games

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
09 May 2024 20:15
Then why the previous vote for the least skillful position on the entire team, guard?

Yes, Jacobs, he should have gone some time ago.

Regarding Reed who plays in the slot, primarily. If Kraft and Musgrave are going to be on the field at the same time then there probably is not going to be anyone in the slot. I suppose that Reed could also play WR #2 or even WR#1 but assuming that this is a running play, Reed is not comparable to either Watson or Doubs as a blocker.

Regarding the WR's, size and speed matter. Anything else can be taught and is gained by experience. Injuries happen to all players but some injuries permanently degrade a player's athleticism. For example, leg injuries, an ACL, an Achilles usually permanently reduce speed and agility. If a player starts with unusual speed and agility, then it does not end their career but if they were a marginal player before, such an injury usually ends their career. On the other hand, a bruised kidney such as Musgrave had has no long term affect on his career. Hamstrings can be chronic or they can heal completely. I choose to believe that the Packers are telling the truth about Watson and that he is completely healed.

I also voted for Watson because I believe that he has the ideal combination of size, speed, power and agility. However he came from a small school and was so dominant that he did not need to focus on route running and fighting for the ball as he was usually wide open anyway. He has the highest ceiling of all the WR's and has already proved himself to be unstoppable at the NFL level. He is far more likely to now be 100% healthy than Jenkins, Gary or Alexander all of whom have possible long term injury damage. Watson and Musgrave are the greatest mismatches on the team - they demand extra attention from the defensive scheme and if they are not they will do what none of the other WR's or TE's can normally do, take over a game.

Basically the game changers on the O are Love, Jacobs, Watson and Musgrave, Kraft and Reed in that order. On D they are Alexander, Gary, LVN, Walker and Clark in that order. Note that I have not included Preston as a possible game changer as he no longer is.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 May 2024 02:26
Yoop wrote:
Then why the previous vote for the least skillful position on the entire team, guard?

Regarding Reed who plays in the slot, primarily. If Kraft and Musgrave are going to be on the field at the same time then there probably is not going to be anyone in the slot. I suppose that Reed could also play WR #2 or even WR#1 but assuming that this is a running play, Reed is not comparable to either Watson or Doubs as a blocker.

Regarding the WR's, size and speed matter. Anything else can be taught and is gained by experience. Injuries happen to all players but some injuries permanently degrade a player's athleticism. For example, leg injuries, an ACL, an Achilles usually permanently reduce speed and agility. If a player starts with unusual speed and agility, then it does not end their career but if they were a marginal player before, such an injury usually ends their career. On the other hand, a bruised kidney such as Musgrave had has no long term affect on his career. Hamstrings can be chronic or they can heal completely. I choose to believe that the Packers are telling the truth about Watson and that he is completely healed.

I also voted for Watson because I believe that he has the ideal combination of size, speed, power and agility. However he came from a small school and was so dominant that he did not need to focus on route running and fighting for the ball as he was usually wide open anyway. He has the highest ceiling of all the WR's and has already proved himself to be unstoppable at the NFL level. He is far more likely to now be 100% healthy than Jenkins, Gary or Alexander all of whom have possible long term injury damage. Watson and Musgrave are the greatest mismatches on the team - they demand extra attention from the defensive scheme and if they are not they will do what none of the other WR's or TE's can normally do, take over a game.

Basically the game changers on the O are Love, Jacobs, Watson and Musgrave, Kraft and Reed in that order. On D they are Alexander, Gary, LVN, Walker and Clark in that order. Note that I have not included Preston as a possible game changer as he no longer is.
I voted Jacobs and Watson for very similar reasons.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 May 2024 02:26
Yoop wrote:

Simple, I expect Jenkins to go back to the PB or even all pro, I don't expect that from Jacobs, we are a pass first team, we have a full squad of talented receivers and TE's, and a QB that knows how to max out that talent, I simply voted for Jacobs because a RB of his caliber is also important, but I don't know if he's Aaron Jones capable of taking over games yet.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I only voted once and that's for Jacobs. This is his spot. The wr group is so close and a few other players can be in that next tier so Jacobs stood out here.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
10 May 2024 10:33
Simple, I expect Jenkins to go back to the PB or even all pro, I don't expect that from Jacobs, we are a pass first team, we have a full squad of talented receivers and TE's, and a QB that knows how to max out that talent, I simply voted for Jacobs because a RB of his caliber is also important, but I don't know if he's Aaron Jones capable of taking over games yet.
Why would you not expect Jacobs to be All Pro?

Its not like he wasn't first team All Pro in 2022 and has been to the Pro Bowl twice.

Oh, and if you watch this video to the end you are going to see that he can catch the football too. Maybe he won't be as good a receiver as Aaron Jones but he is a good receiver.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Some cool cut-ups on Josh Jacobs making defenders miss. Speed, power, elusiveness on display

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPacker ... bs_jukes/
IT. IS. TIME