Rank the Roster 2024: #9

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers

Poll ended at 11 May 2024 14:35

Christian Watson
29%
Preston Smith
18%
AJ Dillon
No votes
Keisean Nixon
No votes
Quay Walker
No votes
Romeo Doubs
No votes
Devonte Wyatt
4%
Lukas Van Ness
No votes
Josh Myers
No votes
Eric Stokes
No votes
Luke Musgrave
4%
TJ Slaton
No votes
Kingsley Enagbare
No votes
Jayden Reed
36%
Tucker Kraft
No votes
Jordan Morgan
No votes
Javon Bullard
No votes
MarShawn Lloyd
No votes
Dontayvion Wicks
11%

Total votes: 28

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2024: #9

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2024 Edition

1. Jordan Love (53%)[+8]
2. Rashan Gary (36%)[+3]
3. Jaire Alexander (48%)[-2]
4. Zach Tom (27%)[+13]
5. Kenny Clark (33%)[-1]
6. Xavier McKinney (35%)[FA]
7. Elgton Jenkins (47%)[-1]
8. Josh Jacobs (43%)[FA]
9. Current (xx%)[--]

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2023 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll. You may vote up to TWO players (a change that was made mid-poll last year, seemed to work well).

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 15-20 guys, new players added in bunches every few days).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2023
Rank the Roster: 2022
Rank the Roster: 2021
Rank the Roster: 2020
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I like Reed here, best mix of skill, playmaking, and reliability at WR. Wicks right after, being maybe just slightly less dynamic.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Reed is my next pick here. Kind of a toss up for the 2nd, either Smith or Wicks, went with Smith.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Picked Preston. I think he's still got stuff left in the tank and will get plenty of play time. Still important to help out Gary, LVN, and others.

After that its Wicks and Reed together. Still not sure how to separate them, though I might give Wicks a slight edge.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Reed to me is a tier point, for me he stands out as a clear step above the rest, just so polished a route runner, almost always clean release, and shake and bake to separate in a phone booth. Reed was easy, the next 4 or 5, not so much.

Wicks or Smith?????

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Watson and a new guy for me, Musgrave.

Reed is a very good player, but if a D thinks that they absolutely have to shut him down, they mostly can, the same way Alexander shut down Jefferson. That works for Doubs or Wicks or Melton too. It won't work for Watson as Watson is too fast for most CB's and too big for the smaller faster CB's.

The same is true for Musgrave, there is no DB or LB in the league that can cover him. He outruns the LB and overpowers the DB. The only way to cover either Watson or Musgrave is double coverage, and pity the DC who has to devise a plan to double cover them both in the same play. Another option would be an all out pass rush on Love, to not give Love time but that leaves the D open to screens and draws to Jacobs. Packers are going to embarrass a lot of teams.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

This tier for me I would call the upside group starting with Watson. He has the talent and has shown he could be a wr1. It's there but the injuries matter. It doesn't matter how good you are if your not in the field. Picking him here is hoping and praying he can stay on the healthy side. A full season of Watson is easy 1200 and 10tds

2nd vote went to Reed bc I don't think much separates these guys in rankings. Different styles but as far as importance they are close. I expect Reed to take that 2nd year jump and really become a stud. The hes only a slot is bs. He's an all around weapon and isn't losing snaps anywhere.

I'm again torn after this bc I think Wicks has superstar written all over also. He's in there with LVN Smith Wyatt

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 May 2024 16:19

Reed is a very good player, but if a D thinks that they absolutely have to shut him down, they mostly can, the same way Alexander shut down Jefferson. That works for Doubs or Wicks or Melton too. It won't work for Watson as Watson is too fast for most CB's and too big for the smaller faster CB's.

The same is true for Musgrave, there is no DB or LB in the league that can cover him. He outruns the LB and overpowers the DB. The only way to cover either Watson or Musgrave is double coverage, and pity the DC who has to devise a plan to double cover them both in the same play. Another option would be an all out pass rush on Love, to not give Love time but that leaves the D open to screens and draws to Jacobs. Packers are going to embarrass a lot of teams.
Are you saying Watson is better then Jefferson?? I like it but a stretch :) I get the point but I think any team and shutdown a guy using multiple players but for the Pack there are just to many others to feed and beat ya. Both TEs included

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

The question to me about this poll (same as every year) is, are we voting for the most important player on the team or the most talented or something else?

This is a hard point this year. At this point, I could pick McKinney, Watson, Reed, Walker, and maybe a couple more. That's a good problem to have. Throw Wicks in their too and Doubs. But some guys are still about potential after what they flashed last year. Musgrave is that to me. He needs to show the game slowed down for him so he can stay on his feet. Then, he will destroy defenses. Not before. Well, not as much anyhow.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
10 May 2024 17:33
The question to me about this poll (same as every year) is, are we voting for the most important player on the team or the most talented or something else?
Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
10 May 2024 16:35
TheSkeptic wrote:

Are you saying Watson is better then Jefferson?? I like it but a stretch :) I get the point but I think any team and shutdown a guy using multiple players but for the Pack there are just to many others to feed and beat ya. Both TEs included
Two parts to the answer. First is that few teams #1 CB is as good as Alexander. The second is whether we are judging potential vs years of production. But based upon potential, Watson is better than Alexander and everyone else except Megatron and possibly Lofton in his prime. fyi, Calvin Johnson also dealt with injuries.

We know that Watson has to refine his route running and improve concentration in catching the ball - that is coaching and targets. We know that the Packers have said that his hamstring problems are fully healed. We know that several other WR's and Aaron Jones had hammy problems last season too, and the head trainer got fired as a result. There is no reason why Watson should not lead the team in receiving yards and TD's and makes him one of the most valuable players on the team playing the 2nd most impactful position on the O. I think that is exactly what he is going to do.

I find it strange that Watson's past soft tissue injuries are given more focus than an ACL

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
These are going to be interesting discussions. I don't know quite where to slot these guys, yet, but I am pretty sure I will be voting for Kraft ahead of Musgrave.

Read More. Post Less.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Whose going to be the Most Valuable Receiver? You'd need a three sided coin. I'm going Watson hoping the new training staff knows what they are doing.

Also going with Preston the most versatile LB we have. 8 sacks, 4 PDs, he can rush and cover.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:

the goal of having more then one good receiver is that defenses are less able to shut anyone down when ya have more, WAtson, Reed, Wicks, Doubs, will make that harder to do, and Reed beat double coverage more then any other receiver we've had since prime time Cobb years ago, more chemistry with Rodgers and I think Reed with push Jacobs for our most productive offensive player besides Love himself, imo it's never about yrds, it's about what the yards gained do for the offense, Reed will move the chains, and possibly have double digit TD's

we have no idea if Watson will over come the hammies, might only play 9 games again :idn:

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

I love our WR group all around, and Reed may end up being the best in the group but when available for gameday Watson is just a whole different level of attention required by the defense. If he had played 17 games last season, he probably would have gone top 3.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Madcity_matt wrote:
11 May 2024 10:59
I love our WR group all around, and Reed may end up being the best in the group but when available for gameday Watson is just a whole different level of attention required by the defense. If he had played 17 games last season, he probably would have gone top 3.
I don't think many would argue but until he does playore consistently there is ifs to him still. Hope this is the year

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Madcity_matt wrote:
11 May 2024 10:59
I will say it again. As a Packer fan and knowing what Watson's measurables are, its hard not to get pumped up about him and them. That being said, he really hasn't done that much in his short career thus far. For the handful of nice plays he has made we have seen another handful of awful plays. If he is gonna do anything, this would be the time. As most of you know I continue to be quite skeptical of Watson going forward. IF I could trade out Watson right now for 3rd year Jordy or Greg Jennings I would do it in a heartbeat.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Been thinking more about our WR group and looking at some more video. I honestly believe our 2 best WR's will be Wicks and Reed. Both guys seem to find ways to get open and create separation more than the other wideouts. Watson has potential to be a big play guy, but I doubt he will ever be a volume WR like I believe Wicks can be. I like Doubs and Melton enough too. Funny that the slowest 40 time WR seems to have a knack for getting open the most consistent.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

MY_TAKE wrote:
12 May 2024 01:42
Been thinking more about our WR group and looking at some more video. I honestly believe our 2 best WR's will be Wicks and Reed. Both guys seem to find ways to get open and create separation more than the other wideouts. Watson has potential to be a big play guy, but I doubt he will ever be a volume WR like I believe Wicks can be. I like Doubs and Melton enough too. Funny that the slowest 40 time WR seems to have a knack for getting open the most consistent.
Maybe that is because the fastest, Watson and Melton take the safeties deep and there is room underneath? Take the burners off the field and you will not see Reed or Wicks getting so much separation. Take Watson off the field and the other team's best CB will get to choose who he covers. It seems to me that the receivers that would benefit the most if Watson was on the sidelines are Doubs and Melton. Melton is just as fast as Watson but 5 inches shorter and not as heavy.

In any case, finding playing time for everyone in this group of receivers is a good problem to have. Having different strengths among these 5-6 WR's and 2-3 TE's is a great reason to be optimistic about the season.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

TheSkeptic wrote:
12 May 2024 02:34
MY_TAKE wrote:
12 May 2024 01:42
Maybe that is because the fastest, Watson and Melton take the safeties deep and there is room underneath? Take the burners off the field and you will not see Reed or Wicks getting so much separation. Take Watson off the field and the other team's best CB will get to choose who he covers. It seems to me that the receivers that would benefit the most if Watson was on the sidelines are Doubs and Melton. Melton is just as fast as Watson but 5 inches shorter and not as heavy.

In any case, finding playing time for everyone in this group of receivers is a good problem to have. Having different strengths among these 5-6 WR's and 2-3 TE's is a great reason to be optimistic about the season.
I don't really buy into everything your saying here for a few reasons. 1. Watson didn't even play in some of Wick's best games. Not sure about Melton. 2. My eye test tells me different. I watch games also and pay attention to what I see.
This is kind of cool
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2024/0 ... superstar/

Anyway your right about the group as a whole having different strengths/weaknesses. I am really excited to watch Wicks blossom which I think he will.