Rank the Roster 2024: #18

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers

Poll ended at 27 May 2024 22:42

AJ Dillon
No votes
Keisean Nixon
25%
Josh Myers
No votes
Eric Stokes
16%
TJ Slaton
No votes
Kingsley Enagbare
3%
Tucker Kraft
22%
Jordan Morgan
3%
Javon Bullard
6%
MarShawn Lloyd
No votes
Carrington Valentine
6%
Karl Brooks
No votes
Edgerrin Cooper
3%
Rasheed Walker
16%
Sean Rhyan
No votes
Colby Wooden
No votes
Ty'Ron Hopper
No votes
Evan Williams
No votes

Total votes: 32

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2024: #18

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2024 Edition

1. Jordan Love (53%)[+8]
2. Rashan Gary (36%)[+3]
3. Jaire Alexander (48%)[-2]
4. Zach Tom (27%)[+13]
5. Kenny Clark (33%)[-1]
6. Xavier McKinney (35%)[FA]
7. Elgton Jenkins (47%)[-1]
8. Josh Jacobs (43%)[FA]
9. Jayden Reed (36%)[+18]
10T. Christian Watson (24%)[-2]
10T. Dontayvion Wicks (24%)[+21]
12T. Preston Smith (27%)[-2]
12T. Devonte Wyatt (27%)[+4]
14. Quay Walker (40%)[--]
15. Luke Musgrave (28%)[+7]
16T. Romeo Doubs (26%)[-1]
16T. Lukas Van Ness (26%)[+2]
18. Current (xx%)[--]

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2023 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll. You may vote up to TWO players (a change that was made mid-poll last year, seemed to work well).

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 15-20 guys, new players added in bunches every few days).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2023
Rank the Roster: 2022
Rank the Roster: 2021
Rank the Roster: 2020
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I went Nixon and Cooper.

IMO Nixon is a day on starter at nickel and the best returner in the league. He will make an impact on games as a defender and returner. IMO he should have gone sooner than this.

As for Cooper, an ILB the 2 LB system we see from most teams playing 4-2/2-4-5 defenses, he should be seeing 90% starting snaps. With that will come production and stats. As long as he isn’t absolute dog &%$@.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I went with Stokes and Walker.

It is pretty much a tossup between Stokes and Valentine at the #2 CB position which is a premiere position. Plus CB's get hurt a lot and Alexander has not been durable. Plus in some situations you might want 3 outside CB's on the field at the same time.

Walker has gone from a 7th round draft pick to an emergency starter to a competent starter at LT, which is also a premiere position. He is now starting his 3rd season for the Packers and since he is still only 24 years old, should continue to improve. I do not believe anyone else is going to play LT this season unless he gets hurt.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Stokes is my top pick here. I think he takes a step forward, stays healthy, and grabs the #2 CB spot.

Lupe has me convinced on Nixon. Really the years of nada at returner show how important those yards can be, and Nixon has been quite good at getting them.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 May 2024 01:48
I went with Stokes and Walker.

It is pretty much a tossup between Stokes and Valentine at the #2 CB position which is a premiere position. Plus CB's get hurt a lot and Alexander has not been durable. Plus in some situations you might want 3 outside CB's on the field at the same time.

Walker has gone from a 7th round draft pick to an emergency starter to a competent starter at LT, which is also a premiere position. He is now starting his 3rd season for the Packers and since he is still only 24 years old, should continue to improve. I do not believe anyone else is going to play LT this season unless he gets hurt.
Same argument in both cases only I went Valentine for Stokes. :aok:

Some of you trust Stokes, coming off injury and poor play before injury, far more than I do and far more than you should IMO.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Kraft, but then ??

Kraft played good football late last year. He's a nice athlete and make plays as a receiver. He was also was a legit blocker. The value of a two-way TE cannot be understated; it opens up the offensive playbook in a big way.

I'd have ranked him higher than 18 but needed to get Doubs on the board first.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Real tough certainty versus ceiling for me.

Again the CB and LT position battles means two of those four guys (Walker/Morgan, Stokes/Valentine) will likely be very much worth a vote here but I wouldn’t put anyone in there’s odds of being a full time starter above 60%.

Meanwhile our two second round rookies—Cooper and Bullard—are very likely to spend most of the season in the field and in my opinion have rookie of the year type talent if they put it together and I think either could emerge as semi-star players. But they’re unproven.

And then you have the certainties. Nixon is our primary nickel and kick returner. He’ll play a bunch. He’sa great kick return guy, and an ok defensive back. Kraft as TE1 or TE2 will play a significant role. Myers is 89% likely to be our starting C.

I’m still leaning toward ceilings. I’m voting Bullard again and will likely add a vote for a LT or CB depending on how I decide those starting odds

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Kraft and Sheed for me.

Read More. Post Less.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Stokes then Nixon

With the new rules Nixon could really change games

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Nixon, Morgan, Nixon for all the reasons previously mentioned, and Morgan because he's one of the most ready to play LT's in this draft with a ton more athletic ability then Walker, Walkers just going to have to find another place to work :)

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Bullard and Nixon. Nixon for return, Bullard for the tole Nixon had last year.

Almost went Walker, but coaching staff is clearly trying to replace him even though he played really well. I hate the Morgan pick.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I will say, *if we are truly playing our best 5 OL* ... it is hard to imagine Rasheed Walker not being among them. Even if Morgan leap-frogs him for LT, and even assuming Myers isn't replaced by Tom at C, who is the fifth best OL if not Walker? Rhyan? I'm not convinced of that (yet), and I can't think of anyone else I like better.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Anders Carlson (give the kid a break)

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
27 May 2024 19:35
Arm or leg?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
27 May 2024 15:58

Almost went Walker, but coaching staff is clearly trying to replace him even though he played really well. I hate the Morgan pick.
really well?? maybe the last 6 games, but we didn't rotate him with Nijman prior because he was playing really well, Morgan is a polished left tackle, and he surely will push Walker for that job.

Walker finished the season allowing six sacks and 36 pressures. He ranked 35th out of 50 eligible tackles in PFF’s pass-blocking efficiency metric and 41st in run-blocking grade.

“I thought he had a really good year,” said Matt LaFleur at the NFL Owners’ Meetings. “I think there’s a lot of room for improvement, just in terms of a consistency standpoint. You know, playing 70 plays at a high level. We’ve seen some great flashes from him. He’s certainly athletic enough to do it. So it’s going to be a big offseason for him, but he’s a guy we’re certainly confident in.”

The numbers above further illustrate those consistency issues LaFleur had mentioned. In fact, in Week 9, the Packers began a rotation at left tackle, as well as right guard, which resulted in increased competition and therefore elevated play across the entire offensive line.

That rotation between Walker and Yosh Nijman went on for six games, with Walker continually proving along the way that he should be the preferred starter.

In the Packers’ final six games, which include the two playoff games, Walker allowed only one sack and nine pressures. He would rank 10th in pass-blocking efficiency and 29th in run-blocking grade.

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-offseason- ... 38804.html

this is actually a Cheesehead article

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
28 May 2024 08:37
wallyuwl wrote:

really well?? maybe the last 6 games, but we didn't rotate him with Nijman prior because he was playing really well, Morgan is a polished left tackle, and he surely will push Walker for that job.

Walker finished the season allowing six sacks and 36 pressures. He ranked 35th out of 50 eligible tackles in PFF’s pass-blocking efficiency metric and 41st in run-blocking grade.

“I thought he had a really good year,” said Matt LaFleur at the NFL Owners’ Meetings. “I think there’s a lot of room for improvement, just in terms of a consistency standpoint. You know, playing 70 plays at a high level. We’ve seen some great flashes from him. He’s certainly athletic enough to do it. So it’s going to be a big offseason for him, but he’s a guy we’re certainly confident in.”

The numbers above further illustrate those consistency issues LaFleur had mentioned. In fact, in Week 9, the Packers began a rotation at left tackle, as well as right guard, which resulted in increased competition and therefore elevated play across the entire offensive line.

That rotation between Walker and Yosh Nijman went on for six games, with Walker continually proving along the way that he should be the preferred starter.

In the Packers’ final six games, which include the two playoff games, Walker allowed only one sack and nine pressures. He would rank 10th in pass-blocking efficiency and 29th in run-blocking grade.

Thanks for the stats. It is more or less what I and many of us saw. Walker made significant progress during last season. It is probably too much to ask for similar progress this season, as it would put him in the top 1/4 of starting NFL LT's, and maybe in the top 5. But modest improvement or even just better consistency makes him an above average LT.

It would also probably be too much to ask for from Morgan so see him finish the season where Walker finished his season last year. The goal is to improve, not to regress. Morgan can back up every position except center and make a run for a starting position in the 2025/6 season - with an outside chance of starting at RG late this season.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
28 May 2024 10:32
Yoop wrote:
28 May 2024 08:37
wallyuwl wrote:

Thanks for the stats. It is more or less what I and many of us saw. Walker made significant progress during last season. It is probably too much to ask for similar progress this season, as it would put him in the top 1/4 of starting NFL LT's, and maybe in the top 5. But modest improvement or even just better consistency makes him an above average LT.

It would also probably be too much to ask for from Morgan so see him finish the season where Walker finished his season last year. The goal is to improve, not to regress. Morgan can back up every position except center and make a run for a starting position in the 2025/6 season - with an outside chance of starting at RG late this season.
Gutekunst didn't spend slot 25 on a pine rider, or a player we intend to move inside, they probably see a ceiling with Walker and the reason for drafting Morgan, why you or anyone think every GM missed on who Walker is for him lasting so late in the draft, or that a guy as polished up already in a guy like Morgan, and not think he'll be our starting LT makes no sense at all to me.

there has even been talk of moving a very good RT in Tom to center just to make room for Rasheed to move over there.

Morgan is more advanced as a LT right now and he hasn't even played a pro snap.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

wallyuwl wrote:
27 May 2024 20:53
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
27 May 2024 19:35
Arm or leg?
Wait a minute ...... isn't the consensus that his leg was already broke (more than once mind you)? So go with "arm" and see where that takes this.

:beer:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
28 May 2024 10:49
Gutekunst didn't spend slot 25 on a pine rider, or a player we intend to move inside, they probably see a ceiling with Walker and the reason for drafting Morgan, why you or anyone think every GM missed on who Walker is for him lasting so late in the draft, or that a guy as polished up already in a guy like Morgan, and not think he'll be our starting LT makes no sense at all to me.

there has even been talk of moving a very good RT in Tom to center just to make room for Rasheed to move over there.

Morgan is more advanced as a LT right now and he hasn't even played a pro snap.
You spent the first several posts (here is the first of that string) in the Jordan Morgan draft thread talking about how he’s better suited for iOL play. Now you contend they didn’t draft him to play inside…. :idn:

You also lamented the pick because Morgan needs a lot of work on his technique and footwork. Now suddenly he’s our best, most advanced LT? Did OTAs in shorts provide such a great leap for him?? :dunno:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Rookies should never start unless it is necessary. i.e. if the prior starter is below average with no potential That is definitely not true for either Walker or Tom. The only position where it might be true is RG and even there most coaches would let Rhyan start until he proves he isn't very good.

Morgan is a backup this year, which is what a Rookie should be on a deep roster. He can wait his turn and compete for a starting position next season, not (God forbid) this season.

Unless you really want to see Jordan Love carted off the field after getting blind sided.