Rank the Roster 2024: #18

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers

Poll ended at 27 May 2024 22:42

AJ Dillon
No votes
Keisean Nixon
25%
Josh Myers
No votes
Eric Stokes
16%
TJ Slaton
No votes
Kingsley Enagbare
3%
Tucker Kraft
22%
Jordan Morgan
3%
Javon Bullard
6%
MarShawn Lloyd
No votes
Carrington Valentine
6%
Karl Brooks
No votes
Edgerrin Cooper
3%
Rasheed Walker
16%
Sean Rhyan
No votes
Colby Wooden
No votes
Ty'Ron Hopper
No votes
Evan Williams
No votes

Total votes: 32

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
28 May 2024 22:29
Yoop wrote:
28 May 2024 10:49
Gutekunst didn't spend slot 25 on a pine rider, or a player we intend to move inside, they probably see a ceiling with Walker and the reason for drafting Morgan, why you or anyone think every GM missed on who Walker is for him lasting so late in the draft, or that a guy as polished up already in a guy like Morgan, and not think he'll be our starting LT makes no sense at all to me.

there has even been talk of moving a very good RT in Tom to center just to make room for Rasheed to move over there.

Morgan is more advanced as a LT right now and he hasn't even played a pro snap.
You spent the first several posts (here is the first of that string) in the Jordan Morgan draft thread talking about how he’s better suited for iOL play. Now you contend they didn’t draft him to play inside…. :idn:

You also lamented the pick because Morgan needs a lot of work on his technique and footwork. Now suddenly he’s our best, most advanced LT? Did OTAs in shorts provide such a great leap for him?? :dunno:
I read up more since those posts, just like the Packers think Tom could be all pro center, the consensus seems true with Morgan, might be all pro Guard, but that doesn't mean we'll move either inside, Morgan has 37 starts in his college resume, all at LT, draft guru's consider Morgan has as much experience as any LT in this draft class, even though his ceiling might not be as high as some, his floor is higher then most of them.

why wouldn't I think he'll be our starting LT, or take that job soon, the same way Walker took it from Nijman.

as Lafleur said, we'll try him at Tackle.

Skeptic: rookies start every year, and on every team, and yes, over quality starters, at least thats been the case the last 2 decades, specially those with the college experience Morgan has
Last edited by Yoop on 29 May 2024 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
29 May 2024 01:41
He can wait his turn and compete for a starting position next season, not (God forbid) this season.
Ya, that's losing football talk right there. You let all players compete regardless of their years in the league. It's the same losing football talk as the bench Preston Smith because he's 31. Play the better players.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I don't know what Jordan Morgan will become, but just paging through modern Packers history for 1st-round OT's, here is what you find. By my count, that is 0/5 1st-round picks who were Day 1 starters. So, yeah, I do think Gute drafted Morgan for the long-term with very little expectation as to what he will contribute in 2024.

1994 - Aaron Taylor - Injured before rookie season and eventually moved inside to OG and became a nice player in Year 2.

1996 - Jon Michels - Failed to win starting job despite injury to Ruettgers. Forced to play and was bad.

1997 - Ross Verba - Became a replacement starter in Week 6 of rookie year at LT. Eventually moved inside to OG and was a decent player.

2010 - Bryan Bulaga - Became a replacement starter after injury to Tauscher. Mainstay RT.

2011 - Derek Sherrod - Failed to win a starting job. Injuries destroyed career.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Let's expand that to just drafted rookie offensive linemen (1st-4th rounders in bold):
Seah Rhyan - 0 games
Zach Tom - 5 games
Rasheed Walker - 0 games
Josh Myers - 6 games
Cole Van Lanen - 0 games
Jon Runyan Jr. - 0 games
Jake Hanson - 0 games
Simon Stepaniak - 0 games
Elgton Jenkins - 14 games
Cole Madison - 0 games
Kofi Amichia - 0 games
Jason Spriggs - 2 games
Kyle Murphy - 0 games
Corey Linsley - 16 games

Most lineman drafted 1st-4th round in the last 10 drafts has started at least 2 games their rookie year.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 29 May 2024 09:03, edited 2 times in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Just for accuracy, Sean Rhyan was drafted in the 3rd.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
29 May 2024 09:02
Just for accuracy, Sean Rhyan was drafted in the 3rd.
You are right. My bad.

It fell apart with JC Tretter in 2013 anyway. He didn't start a game his rookie season, but Bakhtiari started all 16.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I would also point out that injuries sometimes help decide this. I would argue that none of David Bakhtiari, Corey Linsley, or Elgton Jenkins were preferred starters their rookie years. Their path to the starting line-up was created by injuries to Bulaga, Tretter, and Lane Taylor, respectively.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
29 May 2024 09:11
I would also point out that injuries sometimes help decide this. I would argue that none of David Bakhtiari, Corey Linsley, or Elgton Jenkins were preferred starters their rookie years. Their path to the starting line-up was created by injuries to Bulaga, Tretter, and Lane Taylor, respectively.
Bakhtiari replaced Newhouse, not Bulaga. Barclay stepped in for the injured Bulaga.

Tretter may have been the start, may not have been without injury. Regardless both he and Linsley were rookies.

There are definitely rookies starting due to injury.

Regardless, it's as losing mentality to just say rookies should not be starting as a blanket statement and not allow competition. If that was the case, even these rookies coming in for injury would have been bypassed for more experienced players.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Can definitely say both things.

Probable/Plausible Morgan isn’t an opening day preferred starter, perhaps all year.

Given potential 4 position versatility, probable he will be starting games this year.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 May 2024 09:24
NCF wrote:
Bakhtiari replaced Newhouse, not Bulaga. Barclay stepped in for the injured Bulaga.

Tretter may have been the start, may not have been without injury. Regardless both he and Linsley were rookies.

Regardless, it's as losing mentality to just say rookies should not be starting as a blanket statement and not allow competition. If that was the case, even these rookies coming in for injury would have been bypassed for more experienced players.
In the 2013 offseason, Bulaga was moved to LT and on-track to start there. He was hurt on Family Night opening the door for Bakhtiari. Tretter was the starting OC all off-season and throughout the preseason in 2014 as a 2nd-year player. Linsley was the rookie, not Tretter.

The point about mentality is absolutely correct. I am just pointing out that injuries have been the determining factor in many of the cases, specifically the ones I detailied.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
29 May 2024 09:26

Probable/Plausible Morgan isn’t an opening day preferred starter, perhaps all year.

Given potential 4 position versatility, probable he will be starting games this year.
Yes, this.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
29 May 2024 09:34
Pckfn23 wrote:
29 May 2024 09:24
NCF wrote:

In the 2013 offseason, Bulaga was moved to LT and on-track to start there. He was hurt on Family Night opening the door for Bakhtiari. Tretter was the starting OC all off-season and throughout the preseason in 2014 as a 2nd-year player. Linsley was the rookie, not Tretter.
Yes, my bad on Tretter!

I wouldn't have been surprised if Bakhtiari found his way into the lineup that year without injury.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
29 May 2024 09:26

Definitely.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

don't know why you guys argue with me, know everything :lol: , done everything :lol: , thats why I'am such a grumpy curmudgeon :rotf:

mostly just a guess on my part, and based on both Gute and Lafleur comments, ( we will try him at LT) to me that translates he will have to suck for us not to give him every chance to win that position, when was the last time we used a first rounder on a LT and moved him inside, help me out, I can't think of one.

everyone rooting for Walker thinking he's the next Mark Tausher has to come to terms with Walkers best pass rush move, pushing wide and riding the arc, he does that pretty well, but is that the trait ya look for in a LT? I think that is the reason Guty drafted Morgan, he made need some tech polishing, but over all he is ready to rock

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »