"Social Security is a Scam"

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

"Social Security is a Scam"

Post by APB »

Alabama Senator Tommy Tuberville shared some thoughts on our social security system.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Not about SS, but finance related.

In October I got an alert from Experian about a collection on my credit report. I checked my reports (all 3) and it wasn't on there. Experian said that happens sometimes where there is a hit but it doesn't make its way on. So I didn't worry about it.

So a couple weeks ago we apply for furniture store credit and on the letter about your credit score that you get whenever you apply for credit, it says that I had a collection on my account that was hurting my score (it did seem about 30-40 points low). They used Equifax. Sure enough, I go on Equifax and as of three weeks ago this collection is on there.

I call the collection company and they have me confused with someone else with the same name, but different state and DOB (don't they use SSN?). I had to submit an email with proof of ID and they claim they are going to take care of it.

I also submitted a dispute about it with Equifax. It is not on my Experian or TransUnion reports, so nothing to do there.

This is the company that screwed up. Lovely reviews.

https://www.google.com/search?q=paramou ... e&ie=UTF-8

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Damn [mention]wallyuwl[/mention] I know exactly where this place is. I drive out to this neck of the woods at least 1x per week. The area has a pretty significant meth problem. Maybe that had a hand in things going wrong with your situation.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Captain_Ben wrote:
05 Mar 2024 15:37

Damn @wallyuwl I know exactly where this place is. I drive out to this neck of the woods at least 1x per week. The area has a pretty significant meth problem. Maybe that had a hand in things going wrong with your situation.
Like WTF, verify DOB, address, and SS # before ruining someone's credit. It seems like that is all they do.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Just submitted for my student loans to be "forgiven" under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, signed by Bush 43. Make 10 years of payments while working for 403(b) or govt and remaining balance goes away for govt backed loans (mostly Stafford and Perkins qualify).

Payments can be made up to 28 days before due date. Due date on my 120th payment is April 1st. I have auto pay. But I manually made my 120th payment yesterday (27 days early). Today I filled out the employment verification form and faxed it to UW System. They will verify I worked there the last 7 months, sign, then fax to the loan servicer (MOHELA). Takes 3 months to process.

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

https://cdn.mises.org/Roots%20of%20the% ... Myth_2.pdf

Should be read by everyone, unfortunately he passed away a couple years ago but highly illuminating.
Social Security was presented as “retirement insurance” under which taxpayers pay “insurance premiums” or “contributions” to “buy” protection from destitution in old age, with their “contributions” being “held” for them in a “trust fund” which will be used to pay benefits which, having been “paid for” by their “contributions,” will be theirs “as a matter of earned right,” as America keeps its “compact between the generations.”
The entire foregoing description is demonstrably, documentably false. At various times, various officials even admitted as much, arguing just the
opposite before the Supreme Court

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

A state-run retirement pension is not a scam or bad policy per-se; every functional society has one.

The problem with the US is, it is not a functional society. The government is enslaved to the whims of Wall Street's financial designs, public policies are not based on any democratic will of the people but rather on whatever maximizes the returns on these schemes.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

Labrev wrote:
01 May 2024 13:44
A state-run retirement pension is not a scam or bad policy per-se; every functional society has one.

The problem with the US is, it is not a functional society. The government is enslaved to the whims of Wall Street's financial designs, public policies are not based on any democratic will of the people but rather on whatever maximizes the returns on these schemes.
You missed a big one, probably the foremost scam of it all!

How many votes the corrupt politician can buy.
GO PACK GO!!!

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Labrev wrote:
01 May 2024 13:44

These are such a broad statements. You probably have maybe talked more in depth about it some place else in the forum that I may have missed, but I wish you would expand on your thoughts and statements. I'm interested in your rationale and thought process here. The statements are very matter of fact sounding. I would enjoy the read and discussion.