Rank the Roster 2024: #29

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers

Poll ended at 15 Jun 2024 13:01

AJ Dillon
10%
TJ Slaton
33%
Kingsley Enagbare
10%
Sean Rhyan
20%
Colby Wooden
7%
Ty'Ron Hopper
No votes
Evan Williams
No votes
Andre Dillard
No votes
Sean Clifford
No votes
Isaiah McDuffie
13%
Royce Newman
No votes
Jacob Monk
No votes
Kitan Oladapo
No votes
Travis Glover
No votes
Tyler Davis
No votes
Malik Heath
No votes
Anthony Johnson Jr
3%
Eric Wilson
No votes
Bo Melton
3%
Michael Pratt
No votes

Total votes: 30

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2024: #29

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2024 Edition

1. Jordan Love (53%)[+8]
2. Rashan Gary (36%)[+3]
3. Jaire Alexander (48%)[-2]
4. Zach Tom (27%)[+13]
5. Kenny Clark (33%)[-1]
6. Xavier McKinney (35%)[FA]
7. Elgton Jenkins (47%)[-1]
8. Josh Jacobs (43%)[FA]
9. Jayden Reed (36%)[+18]
10T. Christian Watson (24%)[-2]
10T. Dontayvion Wicks (24%)[+21]
12T. Preston Smith (27%)[-2]
12T. Devonte Wyatt (27%)[+4]
14. Quay Walker (40%)[--]
15. Luke Musgrave (28%)[+7]
16T. Romeo Doubs (26%)[-1]
16T. Lukas Van Ness (26%)[+2]
18. Keisean Nixon (25%)[-1]
19. Tucker Kraft (21%)[+12]
20. Rasheed Walker (32%)[+12]
21. Eric Stokes (28%)[+1]
22T. Javon Bullard (38%)[R]
22T. Edgerrin Cooper (38%)[R]
24. Josh Myers (27%)[-3]
25T. Jordan Morgan (28%)[R]
25T. Carrington Valentine (28%)[+6]
27T. MarShawn Lloyd (25%)[R]
27T. Karl Brooks (25%)[+6]
29. Current (xx%)[--]

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2023 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll. You may vote up to TWO players (a change that was made mid-poll last year, seemed to work well).

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 15-20 guys, new players added in bunches every few days).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2023
Rank the Roster: 2022
Rank the Roster: 2021
Rank the Roster: 2020
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Slaton and Rhyan easily here. Rhyan might start and Slaton has a unique role on the DL that no one else can really fill.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I went with Rhyan and McDuffie admittedly because I somehow glossed over Slaton's name, but I also think that McDuffie's cognitive ability, system experience, and gradual progression as a player in the league will get him on the field a lot more frequently than a lot of us are expecting. I would not be super surprised if McDuffie plays more defensive snaps than Slaton. I actually might be surprised if he doesn't.

And as others have said, Rhyan may be a starting OL and at least will be one of the first guys off the bench--probably the first on the interior.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I am going:

1. Bo Melton
2. McDuffie
3. Slaton
4. Rhyan

I think Bo is the player in the low 20's early 30's on this list who has the most potential to be a Packers star this year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Rhyan and Enagbare.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
14 Jun 2024 15:53
I am going:

1. Bo Melton
2. McDuffie
3. Slaton
4. Rhyan

I think Bo is the player in the low 20's early 30's on this list who has the most potential to be a Packers star this year.
I think I agree that Bo is the best player in this list but I just don’t think he gets that much value. Even if a WR gets hurt he’s still just 4th in the pecking order.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Tough spot.

Went JJ. There is a reason they didn't draft a pass rusher bc he's healthy and they trust him in back up duty.

There is like 5 dudes that could go here.
Slayton will be the only nose/big left. He's gonna matter
Rhyan been my pick bc he will start
Like Bo but he's buried
Dillon knows the system he will play

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Went with McDuffie and Johnson Jr. Both will be core ST players and both have an outside chance of being starters all season.

I cannot vote for a run stuffer who is going to be in the field 5 plays a game. Or a guard who was given every opportunity to start last year over an average NFL guard who everyone knew was going to be cut loose after his rookie contract ended. IMO Rhyan is 3rd in line at RG, behind Dillard and Morgan.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

TheSkeptic wrote:
15 Jun 2024 03:46
Went with McDuffie and Johnson Jr. Both will be core ST players and both have an outside chance of being starters all season.

I cannot vote for a run stuffer who is going to be in the field 5 plays a game. Or a guard who was given every opportunity to start last year over an average NFL guard who everyone knew was going to be cut loose after his rookie contract ended. IMO Rhyan is 3rd in line at RG, behind Dillard and Morgan.
I think you are under selling Slaton. He was actually really good when playing the nose. He does the dirty work that doesn't show up on the stat sheet. I know you were joking about 5 plays a game but you need guys like this on the DL. Not everyone can be upfield pass rushers. He's a solid role player

Dillard is not a guard and I doubt he makes the roster. That dude has been good awful and is just a body at tackle if someone gets hurt.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Engabare and Slaton for me, expecting big contributions from both this year. Next up probably Rhyan and McDuffie

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Jun 2024 18:27
go pak go wrote:
I am going:

1. Bo Melton
2. McDuffie
3. Slaton
4. Rhyan

I think I agree that Bo is the best player in this list but I just don’t think he gets that much value. Even if a WR gets hurt he’s still just 4th in the pecking order.
He is the best replacement we have for Watson when he goes down. Even when he was #4 on the pecking order last winter...he still had the most impact.

I believe Melton has the best chance of having high impact over anyone else on this list. Therefore, he is my easy top choice from here on out.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
15 Jun 2024 11:01
lupedafiasco wrote:
go pak go wrote:
I am going:

1. Bo Melton
2. McDuffie
3. Slaton
4. Rhyan

He is the best replacement we have for Watson when he goes down. Even when he was #4 on the pecking order last winter...he still had the most impact.

I believe Melton has the best chance of having high impact over anyone else on this list. Therefore, he is my easy top choice from here on out.
You make a great point. If Watson has another season like last year, Melton is not the #4 WR but a STARTER. But I think Watson will not have such an injury plagued season and Melton will seldom be on the field.

Regarding TJ. His problem is that he is a 3-4 Nose Tackle. He is too big to generate much pass rush and the Packers now play a 4-3-4 or a 4-2-5. Even if Clark were to get hurt, we would see Wyatt and Brooks rather than TJ on the field except in situations like 3rd down and 2 yards to go. And this is going to be a better D that will not be in many 3rd and 2 or less situations. If it is 3rd and 10, there is no way TJ is going to be on the field to be a run stuffer - and that is going to be the norm for this dominant D. :) Now if I am wrong and the combination of Clark, Wyatt and Brooks can't stop the opposing team's running game, then yes, TJ is going to get a lot more than 5 snaps a game - but I don't think I am wrong. And so the best thing that can be done with TJ is to trade him for a high draft pick to a team that needs a NT. Alternatively TJ can lose 20 pounds, but that is easier said than done or I would do it too. :oops:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

IDL are highly rotational. Slaton will see the field plenty even if they do move Brooks ahead of him on the depth chart. As it stands Slaton is still taking practice reps with the 1s.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Labrev wrote:
15 Jun 2024 14:57
Slaton will see the field plenty even if they do move Brooks ahead of him on the depth chart. As it stands Slaton is still taking practice reps with the 1s.
Yes he is with the 1s and he played over 600 snaps last year for a reason.
Here's a highlight reel on TJ Slaton for your viewing pleasure. The bulk of the plays are vs the run on early downs - as you'd expect. Quite impressive. You also have to remember that in Barry's D - the IDL were playing a gap and a half and holding their ground, vs penetrating as they will with Hafley

If you go to the 5:16 mark, you can see his pass break up vs Mahomes. If you go to he 7:44 mark of the video - you can see the value TJ brings vs the pass. He totally collapses the pocket and forces a crappy pass/incompletion. That's one of the 16 pressures he delivered - despite not playing on many passing downs. Dude is a freaking load and they'll be turning him loose in 2024... :aok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZarYzwhZec
IT. IS. TIME

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

TheSkeptic wrote:
15 Jun 2024 14:15
go pak go wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

You make a great point. If Watson has another season like last year, Melton is not the #4 WR but a STARTER. But I think Watson will not have such an injury plagued season and Melton will seldom be on the field.

Regarding TJ. His problem is that he is a 3-4 Nose Tackle. He is too big to generate much pass rush and the Packers now play a 4-3-4 or a 4-2-5. Even if Clark were to get hurt, we would see Wyatt and Brooks rather than TJ on the field except in situations like 3rd down and 2 yards to go. And this is going to be a better D that will not be in many 3rd and 2 or less situations. If it is 3rd and 10, there is no way TJ is going to be on the field to be a run stuffer - and that is going to be the norm for this dominant D. :) Now if I am wrong and the combination of Clark, Wyatt and Brooks can't stop the opposing team's running game, then yes, TJ is going to get a lot more than 5 snaps a game - but I don't think I am wrong. And so the best thing that can be done with TJ is to trade him for a high draft pick to a team that needs a NT. Alternatively TJ can lose 20 pounds, but that is easier said than done or I would do it too. :oops:
Well of course you feel your right... We all do until proven wrong 😂

Unfortunately nobody is reading a high pick for a nose only but where we differ is TJ being just a big fatty. He is a solid athlete at his size and can be useful on 1st down
Inside will be a rotation until Wyatt shows he can be trusted on 3 downs. Love Brooks but he's not in there to stop the run. If Slaton gets 35% snaps a game he will being a great value at 29.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
15 Jun 2024 16:24
Labrev wrote:
15 Jun 2024 14:57
Slaton will see the field plenty even if they do move Brooks ahead of him on the depth chart. As it stands Slaton is still taking practice reps with the 1s.
Yes he is with the 1s and he played over 600 snaps last year for a reason.
Here's a highlight reel on TJ Slaton for your viewing pleasure. The bulk of the plays are vs the run on early downs - as you'd expect. Quite impressive. You also have to remember that in Barry's D - the IDL were playing a gap and a half and holding their ground, vs penetrating as they will with Hafley

If you go to the 5:16 mark, you can see his pass break up vs Mahomes. If you go to he 7:44 mark of the video - you can see the value TJ brings vs the pass. He totally collapses the pocket and forces a crappy pass/incompletion. That's one of the 16 pressures he delivered - despite not playing on many passing downs. Dude is a freaking load and they'll be turning him loose in 2024... :aok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZarYzwhZec
he'll be playing for a contract, that often spurs max effort, I like the rotation, keep the snap count lower for all, having a big body guy like Slaton adds versatility, someone will have to 2 gap at times, or open a gap on a stunt, thats when the beef helps.

thanks for the clip, TJ never gets blown back, shows leverage to push the blocker off and flow to the runner, I think he'll get a lot of snaps, excited for this group

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
15 Jun 2024 14:15
go pak go wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

If a player is as good as Bo Melton showed last year, you find ways to get him on the field. You just do.

Melton is absolutely deserving of being in this range on Rank the Roster. We aren't talking Top 20 players (starting level). We are talking High 20's Low 30's (backup but contributing level).
Yoop wrote:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
17 Jun 2024 09:43
you find ways to get him on the field.
Indeed. Here's the 2023 snap counts and you can see how Melton really made a late season surge when Watson was missing. Fun to see it happen, and he clearly stepped up to meet the challenge. But he's likely to be WR5 in terms of snap counts in 2024 and that's probably a better fit later in this rankings exercise. ( He's the next WR to make the list)

Snaps counts by week:

https://www.footballguys.com/stats/snap ... &year=2023

IT. IS. TIME

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BSA wrote:
17 Jun 2024 15:42
go pak go wrote:
Indeed. Here's the 2023 snap counts and you can see how Melton really made a late season surge when Watson was missing. Fun to see it happen, and he clearly stepped up to meet the challenge. But he's likely to be WR5 in terms of snap counts in 2024 and that's probably a better fit later in this rankings exercise. ( He's the next WR to make the list)

Snaps counts by week:

Melton definitely has a great jersey number.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
17 Jun 2024 17:24
BSA wrote:
17 Jun 2024 15:42
go pak go wrote:

Snaps counts by week:

Melton definitely has a great jersey number.
Who is the single player you think of when you see that jersey? No historic run-down of who wore it, just the one player you associate with #80.

For me, it’s still James Lofton.