Ed Policy will transition to President & CEO

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Ed Policy will transition to President & CEO

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Should have made friends with him sooner.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Continuity at the top offers a stable organization both in the transition phase and going forward for The Mighty Green Bay Packers
That in turn allows the football people to focus on football.

IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Kind of funny we even draft and develop the team President.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

More on Policy here from packers.com

https://www.packers.com/news/ed-policy- ... nt-and-ceo

Earlier in his professional career, Policy practiced law at Thompson Hine LLP in Cleveland (1999-2001), where his work included litigation, sports labor relations, sports facility construction and commercial real estate, and also at Heller Ehrman in San Francisco (1994-99). He is a member of the state bars of California and Ohio, and a member of the Sports Lawyers Association. He is a three-time recipient of the SportsBusiness Journal's Forty Under 40 award in recognition of his achievements in sports business, and a member of the Forty Under 40 Hall of Fame.

A Midwestern native, Policy was born and raised in Youngstown, Ohio. He earned a bachelor's degree with honors in accounting with an emphasis in finance from the University of Notre Dame in 1993 and a law degree from Stanford University in 1996. In the Green Bay community, he serves or has served on the boards of directors of the Brown County United Way, the Greater Green Bay Community Foundation, Discover Green Bay and the Green Bay YMCA, as well as on the community leadership council of Achieve Brown County.

Policy and his wife, Christy, have two sons, Carmen, 16, and Luke, 13.

IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I thought this had already been decided, ED has been on board a long time, and certainly is qualified for the job.

His Dad took on the NFL, and won once, lost one other time, hope his Son is a junk yard dog when it comes to dealing with the league too.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/6/11/ ... ken-norton

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

BF004 wrote:
24 Jun 2024 11:46
Also kind of funny that they hired a national search firm (Korn Ferry), put together a list of 90 candidates, and then picked the guy they've been grooming all along :lol:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
24 Jun 2024 12:55
BF004 wrote:
Also kind of funny that they hired a national search firm (Korn Ferry), put together a list of 90 candidates, and then picked the guy they've been grooming all along :lol:
In one of the articles, they talk about all of the rules & bylaws the Packers have to navigate when making a front office hire.
Kinda like the Rooney rules for HCs
So part of what Korn-Ferry provides is a roadmap to interview all the right people and check all of the right boxes. Hiring an outside firm also limits your HR liability for somebody saying it was a rigged outcome. Such is life in the corporate world, but the Packers had to make and document a diligent effort to identify and interview non-Policy candidates. These rules were put in place so the owners couldn't just hire their idiot sons.
Corporate rules for a public company + NFL league rules for diversity + Packers own rules for hiring and succession.

Is is a bit of a dog n pony show ? Probably, but its the smartest and safest path either way
IT. IS. TIME

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BSA wrote:
24 Jun 2024 14:40
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
BF004 wrote:
In one of the articles, they talk about all of the rules & bylaws the Packers have to navigate when making a front office hire.
So part of what Korn-Ferry provides is a roadmap to interview all the right people and check all of the right boxes. Hiring an outside firm also limits your HR liability for somebody saying it was a rigged outcome. Such is life in the corporate world, but the Packers had to make and document a diligent effort to identify and interview non-Policy candidates. These rules were put in place so the owners couldn't just hire their idiot sons.
Corporate rules for a public company + NFL league rules for diversity + Packers own rules for hiring and succession.

Is is a bit of a dog n pony show ? Probably, but its the smartest and safest path either way
And as BSA said .......... IT IS TIME! And if you didn't hear me the first time ............ IT IS TIME!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Excited to have a new a name at the top to blame when our 4th tight end on the roster makes a mistake on punt coverage unit.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
25 Jun 2024 06:01
BSA wrote:
24 Jun 2024 14:40
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

And as BSA said .......... IT IS TIME! And if you didn't hear me the first time ............ IT IS TIME!
and I expect you'll grow to dislike Eddie the same as the simple mention of the name Murphy would send you into convulsions and symptoms extreme heartburn :chuckle:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
25 Jun 2024 06:01
Except, of course, @BSA never said that.

Read More. Post Less.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

IT. IS. TIME

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jun 2024 10:38
Excited to have a new a name at the top to blame when our 4th tight end on the roster makes a mistake on punt coverage unit.
I am more interested to see if Policy will tweak the leadership hierarchy once he takes over, i.e. continue having the HC report directly to the team president rather than the GM. I can’t say I liked that change when Murphy incorporated it and I still don’t.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
26 Jun 2024 12:14
I am more interested to see if Policy will tweak the leadership hierarchy once he takes over, i.e. continue having the HC report directly to the team president rather than the GM. I can’t say I liked that change when Murphy incorporated it and I still don’t.
I didn't like it at the time, but I actually really do prefer it now. It's not really a hierarchical structure anymore on the football side. Personnel and coaching really have to work side-by-side and it makes sense that they would share a common superior.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
go pak go wrote:
I can see it both ways. I don't know if BG should be the head of the football operations with everyone else reporting to him. I like the idea of the person acquiring the talent, and the person managing the talent to be peers.

The head coach and GM are in my eyes too much of a equal position that it would be unfair for the GM to be able to fire the head coach if the GM is the one who sucks at giving the coach what he needs.

It worked when it was Ron Wolf because he was such a football guy and we needed such a drastic change and way of doing things. But I think the later Thompson era showed some weakness of the coach being hampered and almost muzzled when he clearly didn't the ingredients of personnel to work with.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
26 Jun 2024 12:50
APB wrote:
go pak go wrote:
I can see it both ways. I don't know if BG should be the head of the football operations with everyone else reporting to him. I like the idea of the person acquiring the talent, and the person managing the talent to be peers.

The head coach and GM are in my eyes too much of a equal position that it would be unfair for the GM to be able to fire the head coach if the GM is the one who sucks at giving the coach what he needs.

It worked when it was Ron Wolf because he was such a football guy and we needed such a drastic change and way of doing things. But I think the later Thompson era showed some weakness of the coach being hampered and almost muzzled when he clearly didn't the ingredients of personnel to work with.
why do you think Ringo doesn't like Murphy ( one reason anyway), if there is anything to complain about it was Murphy doing nothing while Ted continued to decline, I think that got to all of us.

I thought when it happened the FO was in chaos, I think thats why Murphy wanted total control of hiring and firing, now the foundation is more solid, It's obvious that Gutekunst is capable of running football operations, and will act without bias if he feels Lafleur is not doing as well as some other coach.

I think most teams use that Ron Wolf style still, GM's run the football stuff, hiring and firing, trading of coaches and players, 2 many chiefs confuse the indians :lol:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
26 Jun 2024 12:26
APB wrote:
I didn't like it at the time, but I actually really do prefer it now. It's not really a hierarchical structure anymore on the football side. Personnel and coaching really have to work side-by-side and it makes sense that they would share a common superior.
I also wasnt a fan at first. I thought it was Murphy power tripping initially.

It makes the most sense to have both be on an equal playing field and report to someone considering theyre both completely reliant on each other. It also removes the scapegoatism that we saw between TT and MM.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It's a good system. It fosters collaboration.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Uh oh, a White male. What happened to the Packers' DEI initiative? Just talk.