Packers trade for Malik Willis

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Packers trade for Malik Willis

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Just saw that.

Wow.

Didn't see that coming.

I hope @Drj820 approves...

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... llMa12.htm
Willis tossed a 34-yard TD pass to wide receiver Bryce Oliver as the Titans took a 23-20 lead with 9:40 to play, then connected on a 5-yard scoring pass to Oliver with 1:25 left to put Tennessee in front again – this time for good.

During four possessions, Willis completed 3-of-4 passes for 51 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions and ran three times for 29 yards.

In three preseason games, Willis completed 20-of-27 passes for 205 yards with two touchdowns and one interception and ran 11 times for 101 yards. Willis was the Titans’ leading rusher during the preseason.
https://www.al.com/sports/2024/08/nfl-s ... -pass.html
QB Malik Willis
Let's get this out of the way: Malik Willis isn't making it on this list because of his touchdown passes. They were nice. But they certainly fall into the "things the coaches already knew he could do" category.

What impressed was his poise, decision-making quickness and multi-dimensionality. Logically, teams don't need three quarterbacks. The odds of two quarterbacks getting hurt in the same game are staggeringly small; it's easy to stash a journeyman on the practice squad and hope you never have to use him.

But if the Titans have wiggle room at the bottom of the roster and are willing to keep a player who does unique things, there's no one else on the roster who can fit into the schemes Willis can. From a pure versatility standpoint, Willis is an asset. Showing he can play within Callahan's system only further proves the value of keeping him to do things outside of it, because if called upon, he can expand the team's footprint.
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 844800007/
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Can run and seems effortless to throw the ball. I believe the Titans new OC has some ties to our current offense?

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Excited that he can get some good coaching and could really turn into a solid backup for years to come. What's also excited is that if Jordan Love goes down for any reason, this guy can run, so we might modify our offense for a few games. Would be exciting (minus the Love getting hurt part of course).

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

As I had suggested in one of the preseason threads…this had to happen.

Is Malik Willis good? Probably not. But he is the caliber of a backup and has upside. Which makes him a great qb2!

The clowns we had out there were practice squad guys at best. They could not be justified as QB2s at all. The current fellas made professional tweeter Kirk bencke look like Joe Montana.

Glad Gute agrees with me.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I don't mind this move for what little we gave up, and Willis has a pretty interesting skill set at QB so I even kind of like this move.

With that said I still kinda like Pratt as QB2. :idn: being a total unknown is a huge advantage as a backup QB.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

He had some erratic play in his rookie season but flashed and he's been pretty good this preseason. Kid has arm talent and is a good athlete.

I'm curious as to why the Titans would give up on him so soon and give him up for such a paltry amount?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Fair question...

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Are they still running some form of MLF's O

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So a 3rd round guy who couldn't win the backup vs Mason Rudolph that is traded for a 7th round pick.

Low cost move to see if we can have improvement over Clifford.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Listened to a few Titans media outlets to get a sense of Willis.

Tennessee Titans fan bases and media are rejoicing. Willis was drafted by the previous GM. Titans fans say he isn't a fit in a West Coast offense that requires quick decision making.

Titans fans acknowledge Willis's 4th quarter last game probably raised his value enough to attract a trade with GB. Willis was definitely expected to be cut by Titans fans. Tennessee radio does not view this guy as a #2 in the league.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

F trade. Gutenbumst had been doing so well too.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Aug 2024 20:10
Maybe a tad harsh for a young QB with some interesting tools. We gave up 7th round pick which will probably be in the second half of the 7th round too.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I love this because having a guy who can run around a bunch as the backup is often the way you can muddle through without the starter. Chances of having a backup that can manage the passing game at a high level are low. But the mobile guys change the way the defense plays enough to add that chaos element.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Unexpected but decent value I guess. Would have preferred trading that for a kicker. Complicates things for roster bubble guys as well as Clifford and Pratt. Since they likely won’t PS Willis they are carrying 3 QBs (bubble guy screwed) or outright cutting Clifford or Pratt with no PS invite.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
26 Aug 2024 20:23
lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Aug 2024 20:10
Maybe a tad harsh for a young QB with some interesting tools. We gave up 7th round pick which will probably be in the second half of the 7th round too.
What’s the purpose? Willis is not a good player. He’s no different than what we have in Clifford. The guy has 3 career INTs and 0 passing TDs. Anytime anyone trades for a backup QB I usually laugh at what a stupid decision it was. Gutenbumst gets no pass here after stringing together 2 straight great offseason.
Cancelled by the forum elites.